These hilarious Grumpier Old Men quotes include some funny conversations with grandpa, as well as some witty one-liners.
Grumpier Old Men is a 1995 American romantic comedy film.
It is the sequel to the hilarious film Grumpy Old Men, which starred Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau.
Grumpier Old Men saw the return of some familiar faces as well as new ones like Ann-Margret, Sophia Loren, Burgess Meredith (in his final film role), Daryl Hannah, Kevin Pollak, Katie Sagona, and Ann Morgan Guilbert.
Burgess Meredith who plays, Grandpa Gustafson in both films, developed Alzheimer’s disease and had to be coached through his role in the film.
If you have seen Grumpy Old Men, then you know this is the story of two Minnesota neighbors with a love-hate relationship.
At the start of the movie, John Gustafson (Lemmon) and Max Goldman (Matthau) have become great friends, and their children are engaged to one another.
The banter continues between the pair, who now affectionately call each other “moron” and “putz.”
Keep reading through these Grumpier Old Men quotes for some funny conversations between John and Max.
If you think those are amusing, just wait until Sophia Loren’s character, Maria Ragetti, gets added to the mix.
Don’t forget to also check out these Grumpy Old Men quotes that are sure to make you laugh!
Grumpier Old Men Quotes from conversations with Grandpa Gustafson
1. Grandpa Gustafson: Last Thursday, I turned 95 years old. And I never exercised a day in my life. Every morning, I wake up, and I smoke a cigarette. And then I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich. And for a midday snack?
John Gustafson: Bacon.
Grandpa Gustafson: Bacon!
2. Grandpa Gustafson: And finally, the baby bear looked and he said, “Somebody’s sleeping in my bed, and the bastard’s still there!” But Goldylocks had a Remington semi-automatic, with a scope and a hair-trigger!
Allie, Melanie’s Daughter: That’s not the way it goes!
Grandpa Gustafson: And that was the end of the Three Bears.
3. John Gustafson: Nobody slept with anybody.
Grandpa Gustafson: Speak for yourself.
4. Grandpa Gustafson: Relax. Kids swallow quarters all the time.
Melanie Gustafson: Really?
Grandpa Gustafson: Sure. If she craps out two dimes and a nickel, then you can start worrying.”
5. Grandpa Gustafson: I have been to Hawaii.
Mama Ragetti: Oh yeah? Which island?
Grandpa Gustafson: Come on I wanna lay ya.
6. Mama Ragetti: I find you disgusting.
Grandpa Gustafson: Well, just as long as you find me.”
7. Grandpa: What the… what the hell is this?
John: That’s lite beer.
Grandpa: Gee, I weigh ninety goddamn pounds, and you bring me this sloppin’ foam?
8. John: Goes to show you what?
Grandpa: Well it just goes… what the hell are you talkin’ about?
John: Well you said you drink beer, you eat bacon and you smoke cigarettes, and you outlive most of the experts.
9. Grandpa: Yeah?
John: I thought maybe there was a moral.
Grandpa: No, there ain’t no moral. I just like that story. That’s all. Like that story.
10. Grandpa Gustafson: It’s okay, I’m a doctor.
John Gustafson: Oh, sounds like Dad’s using his free exam trick again.
Max Goldman: Well, you gotta stick with what works.
Funny Grumpier Old Men quotes from Grandpa Gustafson
11. “How about you come back to my place and I’ll show you my man-size cannelloni?” ― Grandpa Gustafson
12. “You can wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which one gets fill first.” ― Grandpa Gustafson
13. “What’s the matter, beautiful? You’re meaner than a dog shitting tacks.” ― Grandpa Gustafson
14. “Each year comes and goes, and I’m still here. Ha! And they keep dying. You know? Sometimes I wonder if God forgot about me.” ― Grandpa Gustafson
15. “I usually drink my dinner.” ― Grandpa Gustafson
16. “Drop that fish!” ― Grandpa Gustafson
17. “Then one day you wake up and you realize that you’re not 81 anymore. And then you begin to count the minutes rather than the days. And you realize that pretty soon, you’ll be gone. And that all you have, see, is the experiences. That’s all there is, John, everything. The experiences… You mount that woman, son… or else, send her out to me, huh?” ― Grandpa Gustafson
Grumpier Old Men quotes from Max Goldman
18. “There are many fish in the sea but you’re the only one I’d want to stuff and mount over my fireplace.” ― Max Goldman
19. “Mmmm… lesbians, yummy!” ― Max Goldman
20. “I am the gangster of love.” ― Max Goldman
21. “I got a cactus in my bathroom but we got nothing to say to each other.” ― Max Goldman
22. “Why don’t you do the world a favor? Pull your lip over your head and swallow.” ― Max Goldman
23. “If my dog was as ugly as you, I’d shave his ass and teach him to walk backwards.” ― Max Goldman
24. “I just met a girl named Maria, and suddenly I see she’s not the… bitch I thought she would be.” ― Max Goldman
25. “You don’t have the balls to take me on anymore. Ariel’s got you neutered.” ― Max Goldman
Which of these Grumpier Old Men quotes is your favorite?
Of course, the movie wouldn’t be so entertaining if the feud amongst the “Old Men” was not rekindled.
This happens because their kids call off the engagement due to the stress of their parents “helping” to plan the wedding.
This causes John and his new wife problems and she leaves him until it is all sorted out.
Sadly, the death of Grandpa Gustafson brings everyone back together.
If you enjoyed the schtik comedy of the first film, you will love this one too.
The movie doesn’t rate very high on Rotten Tomatoes, but critics gave it “mixed or average reviews”.
CinemaScore polled audiences who gave the film an average grade of “A–” on an A+ to F scale.
It may not be the best movie out there, but the star power of the cast, and the comedic aspects of the movie give it plenty of appeal.
What is your favorite Grumpier Old Men quote?
Let us know in the comment section below!
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST