Audrey Hepburn captivated audiences and fashion lovers with her style, charm, and grace. But in addition to her unmistakable beauty and effortless style, she was a wonderful person inside and out. Read on to find our collection of Audrey Hepburn quotes that will open your heart and mind!
Audrey Hepburn was a Belgian-American actress known for her humble and charming personality and her humanitarian work for children in need. Born on May 4, 1929, in Brussels, Belgium, she rose from being a victim of the Nazi occupation to become one of Hollywood’s most popular box-office attractions.
Besides starring in many Hollywood films, Audrey Hepburn also worked as a special ambassador to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) where she dedicated her life to helping impoverished children in poor countries of the world. She visited various African and South Asian countries where she nursed sick children and raised awareness of the conditions in these nations.
Audrey attended school in England and the Netherlands. Her father abandoned the family when she was young, so she was raised by her strict mother.
She was living with her mother in the Netherlands when the German invasion and occupation occurred during World War 2. Life was hard during this time and she had to survive Nazi brutality and the Dutch famine over the winter of 1944. She dug up and ate tulip bulbs to survive the famine, danced ballet for groups of people to raise money, and stayed in bed and read to help her forget the hunger.
After the war, Audrey and her mother moved to London, where she began acting in films mainly to raise money to support her family. She became a star following her starring role in the Hollywood film, Roman Holiday, which won her the 1953 Academy Award for Best Actress.
Audrey went on to star in dozens of films with other major actors and was nominated for three other Academy Awards besides the one she won for Roman Holiday. Audrey died of cancer on 20 January 1993, at the age of 63.
Below you’ll find our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking, Audrey Hepburn quotes and sayings. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to also read these inspirational Viktor Frankl quotes on life, suffering and success.
Amazing Audrey Hepburn Quotes On Life, Style and Children
1. “Life is a party. Dress like it.” – Audrey Hepburn
2. “The most important thing is to enjoy your life – to be happy – it’s all that matters.” – Audrey Hepburn
3. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!”- Audrey Hepburn
4. “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”- Audrey Hepburn
5. “The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.”- Audrey Hepburn
6. “I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.”- Audrey Hepburn
7. “You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him.”- Audrey Hepburn
8. “There is more to feminine charm than just measurements. I don’t need a bedroom to prove my womanliness. I can convey just as much femininity, picking apples off a tree or standing in the rain.”- Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn quotes on style and humor
9. “Why change? Everyone has his own style. When you have found it, you should stick to it.”- Audrey Hepburn
10. “I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it’s the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It’s probably the most important thing in a person.”- Audrey Hepburn
11. “Opportunities don’t often come along. So, when they do, you have to grab them.”- Audrey Hepburn
12. “I decided, very early on, just to accept life unconditionally; I never expected it to do anything special for me, yet I seemed to accomplish far more than I had ever hoped. Most of the time it just happened to me without my ever seeking it.”- Audrey Hepburn
13. “I never think of myself as an icon. What is in other people’s minds is not in my mind. I just do my thing.”- Audrey Hepburn
14. “I may not always be offered work, but I’ll always have my family.”- Audrey Hepburn
15. “Pick the day. Enjoy it – to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come… The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present – and I don’t want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future.”- Audrey Hepburn
16. “People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.”- Audrey Hepburn
17. “Your heart just breaks, that’s all. But you can’t judge or point fingers. You just have to be lucky enough to find someone who appreciates you.”- Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn quotes on life and love
18. “The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a Woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she knows.”- Audrey Hepburn
19. “When you have nobody you can make a cup of tea for, when nobody needs you, that’s when I think life is over.”- Audrey Hepburn
20. “Living is like tearing through a museum. Not until later do you really start absorbing what you saw, thinking about it, looking it up in a book, and remembering – because you can’t take it in all at once.”- Audrey Hepburn
21. “Make-up can only make you look pretty on the outside but it doesn’t help if you’re ugly on the inside. Unless you eat the make-up.”- Audrey Hepburn
22. “You can always tell what kind of a person a man really thinks you are by the earrings he gives you.”- Audrey Hepburn
23. “Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it’s at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others.”- Audrey Hepburn
24. “The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries or the way she combs her hair.”- Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn quotes to inspire and teach
25. “Since the world has existed, there has been injustice. But it is one world, the more so as it becomes smaller, more accessible. There is just no question that there is more obligation that those who have should give to those who have nothing.” – Audrey Hepburn
26. “Success is like reaching an important birthday and finding you’re exactly the same.”- Audrey Hepburn
27. “There are certain shades of limelight that can wreck a girl’s complexion.” – Audrey Hepburn
28. “It’s that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second. This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up. Others matter more than you do, so ‘don’t fuss, dear; get on with it.'” – Audrey Hepburn
29. “I tried always to do better. Saw always a little further. I tried to stretch myself.” – Audrey Hepburn
30. “A quality education has the power to transform societies in a single generation, provide children with the protection they need from the hazards of poverty, labor exploitation and disease, and given them the knowledge, skills, and confidence to reach their full potential.”- Audrey Hepburn
31. “I heard a definition once: Happiness is health and a short memory! I wish I’d invented it, because it is very true. The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” – Audrey Hepburn
32. “If my world were to cave in tomorrow, I would look back on all the pleasures, excitements and worthwhilenesses I have been lucky enough to have had. Not the sadness, not my miscarriages (see miscarriage quotes) or my father leaving home, but the joy of everything else. It will have been enough.The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” – Audrey Hepburn
33. “It is too much to hope that I shall keep up my success. I don’t ask for that. All I shall do is my best – and hope.” – Audrey Hepburn
34. “My own life has been much more than a fairy tale. I’ve had my share of difficult moments, but whatever difficulties I’ve gone through, I’ve always gotten the prize at the end.” – Audrey Hepburn
35. “Not to live for the day, that would be materialistic — but to treasure the day. I realize that most of us live on the skin — on the surface — without appreciating just how wonderful it is simply to be alive at all.” – Audrey Hepburn
36. “My greatest ambition is to have a career without becoming a career woman.” – – Audrey Hepburn
37. “As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn
38. “Water is life, and clean water means health.” – Audrey Hepburn
39. “Forgive Quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile.” – Audrey Hepburn
40. “Elegance is the only beauty that never fades.” – Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn quotes that will inspire you
41. “They say love is the best investment; the more you give, the more you get in return.” – Audrey Hepburn
42. “I don’t take my life seriously, but I do take what I do – in my life – seriously.” – Audrey Hepburn
43. “Anyone who does not believe in miracles is not a realist.” – Audrey Hepburn
44. “The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.” – Audrey Hepburn
45. “For my whole life, my favorite activity was reading. It’s not the most social pastime.” – Audrey Hepburn
46. “Some people dream of having a big swimming pool. With me, it’s closets.” – Audrey Hepburn
47. “There is one difference between a long life & a great dinner; in the dinner, the sweet things come last.” – Audrey Hepburn
48. “For me the only things of interests are those linked to the heart.” – Audrey Hepburn
49. “A woman can be beautiful as well as intellectual.” – Audrey Hepburn
50. “To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” – Audrey Hepburn
Insightful Audrey Hepburn quotes and sayings
51. “I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.” – Audrey Hepburn
52. “We all want to be loved, don’t we? Everyone looks for a way of finding love. It’s a constant search for affection in every walk of life.” – Audrey Hepburn
53. “For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.” – Audrey Hepburn
54. “Everything I learned I learned from the movies.” – Audrey Hepburn
55. “I have learned how to live…how to be in the world and of the world, and not just to stand aside and watch.” – Audrey Hepburn
56. “I have no illusions about my looks. I think my face is funny.” – Audrey Hepburn
57. “Fewer things are lovelier to me than a full-blown rose when it opens up its heart.” – Audrey Hepburn
58. “You can only hope to get a combination of happy work and happy life.” – Audrey Hepburn
59. “If I get married, I want to be very married.” – Audrey Hepburn
60. “If we are meant to “love thy neighbor as theyself,” then surely we should love the world’s children as our own.” – Audrey Hepburn
More Audrey Hepburn quotes
61. “I don’t want to be alone, I want to be left alone.” – Audrey Hepburn
62. “I’m an introvert… I love being by myself, love being outdoors, love taking a long walk with my dogs and looking at the trees, flowers, the sky.” – Audrey Hepburn
63. “True friends are families which you can select.” – Audrey Hepburn
64. “And the beauty of a woman, with passing years only grows!” – Audrey Hepburn
65. “On the one hand maybe I’ve remained infantile, while on the other I matured quickly, because at a young age I was very aware of suffering and fear.” – Audrey Hepburn
66. “Good things aren’t supposed to just fall into your lap. God is very generous, but He expects you to do your part first.” – Audrey Hepburn
67. “No matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself.” – Audrey Hepburn
68. “There is a shade of red for every woman.” – Audrey Hepburn
69. “You have to look at yourself objectively. Analyze yourself like an instrument. You have to be absolutely frank with yourself. Face your handicaps, don’t try to hide them. Instead, develop something else.” – Audrey Hepburn
70. “If you lead a simple life, and that story is written, then that story will not satisfy. It needs an angle. Suppose there is no angle?” – Audrey Hepburn
Did you Enjoy these Audrey Hepburn Quotes?
As someone who overcame devastating times and accomplished so much in her life, Audrey Hepburn clearly tapped into her Everyday Power.
Hopefully, these Audrey Hepburn quotes have inspired you to tap into your full potential, face your challenges and impact other people’s lives positively. Despite her achievements, she was a humble and kind person who put other people before her.
Which Audrey Hepburn quotes were your favorite? Do you have any other inspirational quotes from Audrey Hepburn to share with us? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.