After 33 years, this classic romantic comedy finally released a sequel. In honor of the new release, here are 35 of the best quotes from the original Coming to America.
Starring Eddie Murphy (as multiple characters, of course), based on the original story written by Eddie Murphy, and directed by John Landis, Coming to America has spent the last three decades becoming one of the most quotable comedy classics.
Murphey’s story, and the screenplay written by David Sheffield and Barry W. Blaustein, follows the young crown prince of a fictional African country, Zamunda, Prince Akeem. Believing there is more to love and life than his pampered palace and arranged marriage, Akeem comes to America to experience real-life and find true love.
Before you watch the sequel, be sure to check out the best quotes from the original Coming to America film below.
Don’t forget to also check out these classic Forrest Gump quotes on life and happiness.
Funniest Coming to America quotes
1. Prince Akeem: Good morning, my neighbors!!
Neighbor: Hey, f*ck you!
Prince Akeem: [very excited and happy] Yes, yes. F*ck you too!
2. “Now I want you to reach onto God’s unchanging hand. He helped Joshua fight the Battle of Jericho. He helped Daniel escape the lion’s den. He helped Gilligan get off the island.” — Reverand Brown
3. Prince Akeem: Sir, did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?
Cleo McDowell: No, I didn’t.
Prince Akeem: Oh sir, the Giants of New York took on the Packers of Green Bay. And in the end, the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big “H.” It was a most ripping victory.
Cleo McDowell: Son, I’m only going to tell you this one time.
Prince Akeem: Yes?
Cleo McDowell: If you want to keep working here, stay off the drugs.
Prince Akeem: Yes.
4. Clarence: Yeah, I met Dr. Martin Luther King in 1962 in Memphis, Tennessee. I walkin’ down the street minding my own business, just walking on. Feelin’ good. I walk around the corner, a man walk up, hit me in my chest, right. I fall on the ground, right. And I look up and it’s Dr. Martin Luther King. I said ‘Dr. King?’ and he said ‘Ooops, I thought you were somebody else.’
Sweets: Oh man, you lyin’. You ain’t never met Martin Luther the King.
Clarence: Knocked the wind out of me, yes he did.
5. “Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin ’bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their *ss. That’s their one, that’s their one. Rocky Marciano. Rocky Marciano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain’t sh*t.” — Clarence
6. Lisa McDowell: What about Patrice?
Prince Akeem: I am not interested in Patrice.
Lisa McDowell: What about Darryl?
Prince Akeem: I am not interested in Darryl either.
Coming to America quotes and lines from Prince Akeem
7. “I’m warning you. I will be forced to thrash you.” — Prince Akeem
8. “No journey is too great when one finds what he seeks.” — Prince Akeem
9. “Oha, it is my twenty-first birthday. Do you think perhaps just once I might use the bathroom by myself?” — Prince Akeem
10. “What does dumb f*ck mean?” — Prince Akeem
11. “When you think of garbage, think of Akeem.” — Prince Akeem
12. “Fascinating! Semmi, look at this! America is great indeed.Imagine a country so free, one can throw glass on the streets!” — Prince Akeem
13. “Listen, I know what I like, and I know you know what I like because you were trained to know what I like, but I would like to know, what do you like?” — Prince Akeem
Coming to America quotes about love and romance
14. Prince Akeem: But when I marry, I want the woman to love me for who I am, not because of what I am.
King Jaffe Joffer: And who are you?
Prince Akeem: I am a man who has never tied his own shoes before!
King Jaffe Joffer: Wrong. You are a Prince who has never tied his shoes. Believe me. I tied my own shoes once. It is an overrated experience.
15. “I want a woman that will arouse my intellect as well as my loins.” — Prince Akeem
16. “Well, that’s where you messed up, son, you can’t go to no bar to find a nice woman. You gotta go to a nice place, a quiet place like a library, there’s good women there and ‘erm, church, they’re good girls.” — Clarence
17. Lisa McDowell: Would you really have given up all of this just for me?
Prince Akeem: Of course. If you like, we can give it all up now.
Lisa McDowell: Nah!
18. Semmi: Let me get this straight. You can have a woman that will obey you’re every command, but you want a woman who has an opinion!
Prince Akeem: Only dogs are to obey.
19. “So you see, my son, there is a very fine line between love and nausea.” — King Jaffe Joffer
20. “Put a sock in it, Jaffe, the boy is in love.” — Queen Aoleon
21. “But how can a man get excited about a woman he’s never seen?” — Prince Akeem
“Sexual Chocolate” Coming to America quote
Randy Watson: “Let’s hear for my band, Sexual Chocolate.”
More of the best quotes from Coming to America
22. “A man has the right to change his name to whatever he wants to change it to. And if a man wants to be called Muhammad Ali, godammit this is a free country, you should respect his wishes, and call the man Muhammad Ali!” — Saul
23. “Joe Louis had come out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano the minute he was 76 years old. Joe Louis was always lying about his age. He lied about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra came in here and sat in this chair. I said Frank ‘you hang out with Joe Louis, just between me and you, how old is Joe Louis?’ You know what Frank told me, he said “Hey, Joe Louis is 137 years old.” A hundred and thirty-seven years old!” — Clarence
24. “I didn’t come to preach to you today… But you know, when I look at these contestants! For the Miss Black Awareness Pageant, I feel good! I feel good, because I know there’s a God somewhere! There’s a God somewhere! Turn around ladies for me, please! You know there’s a God who sits on high and looks down low! Man cannot make it like this! Larry Flynt! Hugh Hefner! They can take the picture, but they can’t make it! Only God above, the Hugh Hefner on high, can make it for ya!” — Reverand Brown
25. Vendor: This is the greatest day of my life!
Lisa McDowell: Who was that?
Prince Akeem: Oh, just a man I met in the bathroom.
26. “But it is also tradition that times must and always do change, my friend.” — Prince Akeem
27. Darryl: So, what do you people play in Africa? Chase the monkey?
Prince Akeem: No, our favorite game there is football, but I believe you call it. SOCCER!!!
28. Cab Driver: This sh*tty enough for ya?
Prince Akeem: Yes, this is perfect.
29. “If loving the Lord is wrong, then I don’t wanna be right!” — Reverand Brown
30. “Hey, I started out mopping the floor just like you guys. But now… now I’m washing lettuce. Soon I’ll be on fries; then the grill. In a year or two, I’ll make assistant manager, and that’s when the big bucks start rolling in.” — Louie Anderson
31. “See, that’s the problem. I can’t find a man that can satisfy me. Now some guys go an hour, hour in a half, that’s it. A man’s gotta put in overtime for me to get off.” — Big Stank Woman
32. “The royal penis is clean, your Highness.” — Bather
33. Prince Akeem: So, you would share your bed, and your fortune, with a beautiful fool?
Semmi: That is the way it has always been with men of power. It is tradition.”
34. “Look… me and the McDonald’s people got this little misunderstanding. See, they’re McDonald’s… I’m McDowell’s. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.” — Cleo McDowell
35. Semmi: But where in New York can one find a woman with grace, elegance, taste, and culture? A woman suitable for a king.
Prince Akeem & Semmi: Queens!
Which Coming to America quote made you laugh the most?
Coming to America is a hilarious and heart-touching classic filled with memorable quotes that are still being repeated more than 30 years after the film’s release. In fact, Coming to America became such a cult-classic that Paramount pictures recently released the long-awaited sequel, Coming 2 America.
If you enjoyed these Coming to America quotes, then you are sure to enjoy the sequel where Eddie Murphy reprises his role as Akeem (now crowned king), as he heads back to New York for a brand new round of shenanigans.
Did you enjoy these Coming to America quotes and lines? Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!
May 17, 2021 7:00 AM EST