After 33 years, this classic romantic comedy finally released a sequel.
In honor of the new release, here are some of the best quotes from the original Coming to America.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Starring Eddie Murphy (as multiple characters, of course), based on the original story written by Eddie Murphy, and directed by John Landis, Coming to America has spent the last three decades becoming one of the most quotable comedy classics.
Murphy’s story, and the screenplay written by David Sheffield and Barry W. Blaustein, follows the young crown prince of a fictional African country, Zamunda, Prince Akeem.
Believing there is more to love and life than his pampered palace and arranged marriage, Akeem comes to America to experience real life and find true love.
One of the things that make Coming to America so great is its fantastic cast.
Besides Eddie Murphy, the film co-stars Arsenio Hall, James Earl Jones, Shari Headley, and John Amos.
It’s hard not to fall in love with the characters and root for them as they navigate their way through the many obstacles that stand in their way.
The film was released in the United States on June 29, 1988, and received generally positive reviews.
It was nominated for two Oscars and grossed over $350 million worldwide.
Coming to America is a classic comedy that has stood the test of time and is still as hilarious today as it was when it first came out in 1988.
Before watching the sequel, check out the best quotes from the original Coming to America film below.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Funniest Coming to America quotes
1. “I want a woman that will arouse my intellect as well as my loins.” — Prince Akeem
2. “So you see, my son, there is a very fine line between love and nausea.” — King Jaffe Joffer
You will also enjoy our article on lion king quotes.
3. “Put a sock in it, Jaffe, the boy is in love.” — Queen Aoleon
4. “But how can a man get excited about a woman he’s never seen?” — Prince Akeem
5. “If loving the Lord is wrong, then I don’t wanna be right!” — Reverand Brown
6. “But it is also tradition that times must and always do change, my friend.” — Prince Akeem
Coming to America quotes and lines from Prince Akeem
7. “I’m warning you. I will be forced to thrash you.” — Prince Akeem
You will also enjoy our article on my cousin vinny quotes.
8. “No journey is too great when one finds what he seeks.” — Prince Akeem
You will also enjoy our article on cool runnings quotes.
9. “When you think of garbage, think of Akeem.” — Prince Akeem
You will also enjoy our article on field of dreams quotes.
10. “What does dumb f*ck mean?” — Prince Akeem
11. “Oha, it is my twenty-first birthday. Do you think perhaps just once I might use the bathroom by myself?” — Prince Akeem
12. “Fascinating! Semmi, look at this! America is great indeed. Imagine a country so free, one can throw glass on the streets!” — Prince Akeem
13. “Listen, I know what I like, and I know you know what I like because you were trained to know what I like, but I would like to know, what do you like?” — Prince Akeem
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Clueless quotes from the 90s classic comedy.
Coming to America quotes that will make you LOL
14. “I am King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda.” – King Jaffe Joffer
15. “I’m warning you. I will be forced to thrash you.” – Prince Akeem
16. “What does dumb f*ck mean?” – Prince Akeem
17. “Sir, where can one go to find nice women here?” – Prince Akeem
You will also enjoy our article on famous movie quotes.
18. “Behold, Semmi. Life. Real life! A thing that we have been denied for far too long! (shouts from balcony) Good morning, my neighbors!!” – Prince Akeem
19. “I have recently been placed in charge of garbage. Do you have any that requires disposal?” – Prince Akeem
20. “Time does fly fast, my son. It seems only yesterday I ordered your first diaper changed. Now you’re a man about to be married. She will give you much pleasure, don’t you think?” – King Jaffe Joffer
21. “Would you really have given up all of this just for me?” – Lisa McDowell
22. “This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?” – Saul
23. “Is it just me, or does every woman in Queens have some kind of an emotional problem?” – Prince Akeem
24. “Well, that’s where you messed up, son, you can’t go to no bar to find a nice woman. You gotta go to a nice place, a quiet place like a library, there’s good women there and ‘erm, church, they’re good girls.” — Clarence
25. “Now I want you to reach onto God’s unchanging hand. He helped Joshua fight the Battle of Jericho. He helped Daniel escape the lion’s den. He helped Gilligan get off the island.” — Reverand Brown
Which Coming to America quote made you laugh the most?
Coming to America is a hilarious and heart-touching classic filled with memorable quotes that are still being repeated more than 30 years after the film’s release.
In fact, Coming to America became such a cult-classic that Paramount pictures recently released the long-awaited sequel, Coming 2 America.
If you enjoyed these Coming to America quotes, then you are sure to enjoy the sequel where Eddie Murphy reprises his role as Akeem (now crowned king), as he heads back to New York for a brand new round of shenanigans.
Did you enjoy these Coming to America quotes and lines?
Which quote was your favorite?
Let us know in the comments below!