These Bull Durham quotes come from the unique movie, which spans several genres.
If you have seen it, leave us a comment and let us know what you thought of the film.
The 1988 film is a romantic comedy sports film, which are words you don’t normally see strewn together!
It is also partly based on the true minor-league baseball experiences of writer/director Ron Shelton.
The movie depicts the players and fans of the Durham Bulls, a minor-league baseball team in Durham, North Carolina.
The movie also features some iconic 80 actors like Kevin Costner as Crash Davis, the veteran catcher brought on the team to mentor rookie pitcher Ebby “Nuke” LaLoosh (played by Tim Robbins).
Susan Sarandon also stars as Annie Savoy, the baseball groupie.
Bull Durham quotes from Annie Savoy will make you laugh, as will some of the inappropriate quotes that made this movie a little risque for the time period.
The plot follows the relationship between Annie and Ebby, despite her increasing attraction to Crash.
Annie is quite the character―she is a lifelong spiritual seeker who has dabbled in many different religions and is currently latched onto the “Church of Baseball.”
She chooses a player from the Durham Bulls to be her new lover every year.
She also teaches them poetry and classic literature while having them tied to her bed.
This movie doesn’t skimp on the romance, the comedy, or the sports factor.
Bull Durham was a commercial success, grossing over $50.8 million in North America against an estimated budget of $9 million.
Sports Illustrated ranked it the #1 Greatest Sports Movie of all time, while The Moving Arts Film Journal ranked it #3.
Keep reading through these Bull Durham quotes to learn things about this movie you might not have known before.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Bull Durham quotes from Annie Savoy
1. “The world is made for people who aren’t cursed with self-awareness.” ― Annie Savoy
You will also enjoy our article on bridesmaid quotes.
2. “These are the ground rules. I hook up with one guy a season. Usually takes me a couple weeks to pick the guy – kinda my own spring training. And, well, you two are the most promising prospects of the season so far, so I just thought we should kinda get to know each other.” ― Annie Savoy
You will also enjoy our article on Moana quotes.
3. “Well, actually, nobody on this planet ever really chooses each other. I mean, it’s all a question of quantum physics, molecular attraction, and timing. Why, there are laws we don’t understand that bring us together and tear us apart.” ― Annie Savoy
4. “You get three ants together, they can’t do dick. You get 300 million of them, they can build a cathedral.” ― Annie Savoy
5. “Honey, you are a regular nuclear meltdown. You better cool off.” ― Annie Savoy
6. “Honey, we all deserve to wear white.” ― Annie Savoy
7. “Listen, sweetheart, you shouldn’t listen to what a woman says when she’s in the throes of passion. They say the darndest things.” ― Annie Savoy
8. “You see, there’s a certain amount of life wisdom I give these boys. I can expand their minds.” ― Annie Savoy
9. “It’s a long season and you gotta trust. I’ve tried ‘em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.” ― Annie Savoy
10. “Cute? Baby ducks are cute, I HATE cute! I want to be exotic, and mysterious!” ― Annie Savoy
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Ted Lasso quotes From the American sports comedy.
Inspiration Bull Durham quotes about rainouts, striking out, and shutouts
11. “Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls―it’s more democratic.” ― Crash Davis
12. “This son of a bitch is throwing a two-hit shutout. He’s shaking me off. You believe that shit? Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.” ― Crash Davis
13. “What we need is a rainout.” ― Ballplayer
14. “I can get us a rainout.” ― Crash Davis
15. “A hundred bucks says I can get us a rainout for tomorrow.” ― Crash Davis
16. [After turning on the sprinklers] “Oh my goodness! We got ourselves a natural disaster!” ― Crash Davis
17. “A good friend of mine used to say, “This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.” Think about that for a while.” ― Ebby Calvin LaLoosh
18. Joe Reardon: He walked 18.
Larry: New league record!
Joe Reardon: Struck out 18.
Larry: Another new league record! In addition, he hit the sportswriter, the public address
announcer, the bull mascot twice…
Larry: Also new league records! But, Joe, this guy’s got some serious sh*t.
19. [thinking] “Alright, you’ve seen all his pitches. You’ve seen them all. Shorten up, Crash. Bring me the gas, kid. Bring me the gas. Bring me the gas. Quick bat, quick bat, quick bat.” (Swings and misses for strike three.) ― Crash Davis
Bull Durham quotes about various things the characters believe
20. “After 12 years in the minor leagues, I don’t try out. Besides, uh, I don’t believe in quantum physics when it comes to matters of the heart.” ― Crash Davis
21. “Well, I believe in the soul, the cock, the pussy, the small of a woman’s back, the hanging curve ball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap.” ― Crash Davis
22. “I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter.” ― Crash Davis
23. “I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days.” ― Crash Davis
24. “I believe in the Church of Baseball. I’ve tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I’ve worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn’t work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me.” ― Annie Savoy
25. “Never f— with a winning streak.” ― Crash Davis
The end of Bull Durham
Crash and Annie help shape Ebby into a powerhouse pitcher who ends up getting picked up by the major league.
This makes Crash jealous and angry, especially because Crash believes that Ebby is not grateful for the natural talent he has been blessed with.
Ebby moves on, and Annie ends their relationship.
The Bulls release Crash as there is now no one for him to mentor.
Crash shows up on Annie’s doorstep, and the pair finally get together.
However, after the weekend ends, Crash moves on to join another minor league team, where he breaks the minor league record for career home runs.
It wouldn’t be a successful romantic comedy without a happy ending, which is what we get when Crash retires as a player and returns to Durham.
Annie tells him she is ready to stop having a new affair each year, and the pair dance in a candle-lit living room.
A real-life relationship between Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins started onset, and the pair were together for years.
The movie was also originally going to be called The Player to Be Named Later, which comes from a line of Kevin Costner’s during the movie.
The film, which was a commercial success, was turned down by nearly every major studio.
If you have any other fun facts about Bull Durham let us know in the comment section below.