Whether you own a horse or follow horse-related accounts on Instagram, horses are a common shared interest among many of us. Today, we are going to take a look at some wise horse quotes from equestrians, philosophers, and overall animal lovers to learn more about these stunning creatures.
Have you ever ridden a horse before?
Ever since humans began domesticating horses in 4000 BC, humans have expressed a deep fascination for them. From transportation to plowing fields to companionship, horses have benefited humanity in a variety of ways.
Through the transformation of modern society, horses have helped us at every step of the way. In this article, we’re going to show our admiration for these beautiful creatures and all that they’ve done for us.
Check out the stunning horse quotes listed below! And don’t forget to also read these funny dog quotes that will make you LOL with your furry friends.
Horse quotes about their beauty
1. “It is the horse’s gift to connect us with Heaven and our own footsteps.” – Ronni Sweet
2. “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” – Sir Winston Churchill
3. “A canter is a cure for every evil.” — Benjamin Disraeli
4. “A horse is worth more than riches” — Spanish proverb
5. “There is a touch of divinity even in brutes, and a special halo about a horse, that should forever exempt him from indignities.” – Herman Melville
6. “I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse.” — John Galsworthy
7. “I call my horses ‘divine mirrors’—they reflect back the emotions you put in. If you put in love and respect and kindness and curiosity, the horse will return that.” – Allan Hamilton
8. “I can make a General in five minutes, but a good horse is hard to replace” — Abraham Lincoln
9. “When you are on a great horse, you have the best seat you will ever have.” – Sir Winston Churchill
10. “A pony is a childhood dream; a horse is an adult treasure.” – Rebecca Carroll
Eye-opening horse quotes
11. “A horse loves freedom, and the weariest old workhorse will roll on the ground or break into a lumbering gallop when he is turned loose into the open.” — Gerald Rafferty
12. “We will never have to tell our horse that we are sad, happy, confident, angry, or relaxed. He already knows – long before we do.” – Marijke de Jong
13. “In the end, we don’t know what horses can do. We only know that when, over the past thousands of years, we have asked something more of them, at least some of them have readily supplied it.” – Jane Smiley
14. “The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and freedom.” – Sharon Ralls Lemon
15. “God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.” – R.B. Cunninghame Graham
16. “A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character.” – Federico Tesio
17. “Whoever said a horse was dumb, was dumb.” – Will Rogers
18. “Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.” – W.C. Fields
19. “If you are fearful, a horse will back off. If you are calm and confident, it will come forward. For those who are often flattered or feared, the horse can be a welcome mirror of the best in human nature.” – Claire Balding
20. “Wherever man has left his footprints in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we find the hoofprints of a horse beside it.” – John Trotwood Moore
Also read these beautiful elephant quotes to celebrate animals and nature.
Horse quotes about horseback riding
21. “When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes.” – William Shakespeare
22. “In riding a horse, we borrow freedom.” – Helen Thomson
23. “A man on a horse is spiritually as well as physically bigger than a man on foot.” – John Steinbeck
24. “I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse. I only owe it to the horse’s good nature that I am not thrown off at this very moment.” – Ludwig Wittgenstein
25. “No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.” — Sir Winston Churchill
26. “A man in passion rides a horse that runs away with him.” – Thomas Fuller
27. “I don’t even like old cars. I’d rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.” – J.D. Salinger
28. “The horse, with beauty unsurpassed, strength immeasurable and grace unlike any other, still remains humble enough to carry a man upon his back” — Amber Senti
29. “If you spend all day on horseback, and you hop off, you walk around like you still have a horse between your legs. And it affects your shoulders. They fall.” – Heath Ledger
30. “A horse can lend its rider the speed and strength he or she lacks – but the rider who is wise remembers it is no more than a loan.” – Pam Brown
31. “We have almost forgotten how strange a thing it is that so huge and powerful and intelligent an animal as a horse should allow another, and far more feeble animal, to ride upon its back.” – Peter Gray
32. “There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse.” – R.S. Surtees
33. “Being on a horse is one of my most natural places to be.” – Sinbad
Inspirational horse quotes
34. “For one to fly, one needs only to take the reins.” – Melissa James
35. “Will is to grace as the horse is to the rider.” – Saint Augustine
36. “A good horse should be seldom spurred.” – Thomas Fuller
37. “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne
38. “Success is like a wild horse. If you do not know how to handle it, it will throw you off and look for another rider who can handle it well.” – Ajith Kumar
39. “One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a horse master. He told me to go slow to go fast. I think that applies to everything in life. We live as though there aren’t enough hours in the day but if we do each thing calmly and carefully we will get it done quicker and with much less stress.” – Viggo Mortensen
40. “You try to do the best with what you’ve got and ignore everything else. That’s why horses get blinders in horse racing: You look at the horse next to you, and you lose a step.” – Jimmy Iovine
41. “A horse never runs so fast as when he has other horses to catch up and outpace.” – Ovid
42. “It is be st not to swap hor ses while crossing the river.” — Abraham Lincoln
43. “Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.” — Dale Taylor
Also check out these snake quotes and sayings to make your fears disappear.
Horse quotes about taking care of animals
44. “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” – Anatole France
45. “An animal’s eyes have the power to speak a great language.” – Martin Buber
46. “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.” ― Colette
47. “Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man.” ― Arthur Schopenhauer
48. “Animals were once, for all of us, teachers. They instructed us in ways of being and perceiving that extended our imaginations, that were models for additional possibilities.” – Joan McIntyre
49. “Animals are such agreeable friends—they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms.” – George Eliot
50. “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That’s the problem.” ― A.A. Milne
More horse quotes and sayings
51. “It’s hard to lead a cavalry charge if you think you look funny on a horse.” – Adlai E. Stevenson
52. “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.” – Stan Laurel
53. “Being born in a stable does not make one a horse.” – Duke of Wellington
54. “All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.” – Daniel Boone
55. “A horse is the projection of peoples’ dreams about themselves – strong, powerful, beautiful – and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” – Pam Brown
56. “Remember that a painting – before it is a battle horse, a nude model, or some anecdote – is essentially a flat surface covered with colours assembled in a certain order.” – Maurice Denis
57. “No horse gets anywhere until he is harnessed. No stream or gas drives anything until it is confined. No Niagara is ever turned into light and power until it is tunneled. No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated, disciplined.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
58. “A horse is a thing of beauty… none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.” – Xenophon
59. “You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him to a heavy load.” – Bear Bryant
60. “Every different horse has a different personality, like a human.” – Nikola Jokic
When’s the last time you showed appreciation for natural resources and animals?
As mentioned previously, horses have been an integral part of our society for over 6000 years. In comparison, automobiles have only been around for about 130 years. Although our technology is constantly progressing, it’s beneficial to take a step back and appreciate the nature around us.
Natural resources have helped us move forward longer than any technological advancement ever. I believe that we should show more appreciation for the natural resources and animals around us in our day-to-day lives. We never know when we may have to rely on them again, just as we did for thousands of years.
Which of these horse quotes and sayings is your favorite? Leave us a comment down below of your thoughts!