Beautiful Horse Quotes To Inspire You to Take a Ride
April 8, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Whether you own a horse or follow horse-related accounts on Instagram, horses are a common shared interest among many of us.
Today, we are going to take a look at some wise horse quotes from equestrians, philosophers, and overall animal lovers to learn more about these stunning creatures.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to the American Horse Council, the horse industry in the United States contributes $122 billion to the economy and supports 1.74 million jobs.
This statistic can be used to emphasize the importance of horses in our society, and how they contribute to the economy and job market.
Have you ever ridden a horse before?
Ever since humans began domesticating horses in 4000 BC, humans have expressed a deep fascination for them.
From transportation to plowing fields to companionship, horses have benefited humanity in a variety of ways.
Through the transformation of modern society, horses have helped us at every step of the way.
In this article, we’re going to show our admiration for these beautiful creatures and all that they’ve done for us.
Check out the stunning horse quotes listed below!
And don’t forget to also read these funny dog quotes that will make you LOL with your furry friends.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Horse quotes about their beauty
A study by the University of Missouri found that horseback riding can have therapeutic benefits, such as reducing stress and improving mood.
This statistic can be used to highlight the emotional and mental health benefits of horse riding, and how it can be a form of therapy or relaxation.
1. “It is the horse’s gift to connect us with Heaven and our own footsteps.” – Ronni Sweet
You will also enjoy our article on
2. “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” – Sir Winston Churchill
You will also enjoy our article on biker quotes.
3. “A canter is a cure for every evil.” — Benjamin Disraeli
You will also enjoy our article on grace quotes.
4. “God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.” – R.B. Cunninghame Graham
You will also enjoy our article on alexander the great quotes.
5. “Whoever said a horse was dumb, was dumb.” – Will Rogers
You will also enjoy our article on motorcycle quotes.
6. “The horse, a creature that lives in a herd, reminds us that we are not alone and that we should not alienate others.” ― Lawren Leo
You will also enjoy our article on carol dweck quotes.
7. “A man on a horse is spiritually as well as physically bigger than a man on foot.” – John Steinbeck
You will also enjoy our article on cowboy quotes.
8. “I can make a General in five minutes, but a good horse is hard to replace” — Abraham Lincoln
You will also enjoy our article on dale carnegie quotes.
9. “When you are on a great horse, you have the best seat you will ever have.” – Sir Winston Churchill
You will also enjoy our article on genghis khan quotes.
10. “A pony is a childhood dream; a horse is an adult treasure.” – Rebecca Carroll
You will also enjoy our article on richard feynman quotes.
Eye-opening horse quotes
A study by the University of Kentucky found that horseback riding can improve balance, coordination, and spatial awareness.
This statistic can be used to highlight the physical benefits of horse riding, and how it can improve motor skills and body awareness.
11. “A horse loves freedom, and the weariest old workhorse will roll on the ground or break into a lumbering gallop when he is turned loose into the open.” — Gerald Rafferty
You will also enjoy our article on running quotes.
12. “We will never have to tell our horse that we are sad, happy, confident, angry, or relaxed. He already knows – long before we do.” – Marijke de Jong
You will also enjoy our article on cornel west quotes.
13. “In the end, we don’t know what horses can do. We only know that when, over the past thousands of years, we have asked something more of them, at least some of them have readily supplied it.” – Jane Smiley
14. “The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and freedom.” – Sharon Ralls Lemon
15. “A horse is worth more than riches” — Spanish proverb
16. “I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse.” — John Galsworthy
17. “There is a touch of divinity even in brutes, and a special halo about a horse, that should forever exempt him from indignities.” – Herman Melville
18. “Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.” – W.C. Fields
19. “If you are fearful, a horse will back off. If you are calm and confident, it will come forward. For those who are often flattered or feared, the horse can be a welcome mirror of the best in human nature.” – Claire Balding
20. “Wherever man has left his footprints in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we find the hoofprints of a horse beside it.” – John Trotwood Moore
Also read these beautiful elephant quotes to celebrate animals and nature.
Horse quotes about horseback riding
A study conducted by the University of Kentucky found that horseback riding can help reduce stress and anxiety in both children and adults.
This statistic can be used to emphasize the positive mental health benefits of horseback riding and encourage readers to try it out as a stress-relieving activity.
21. “When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes.” – William Shakespeare
22. “In riding a horse, we borrow freedom.” – Helen Thomson
23. “I call my horses ‘divine mirrors’—they reflect back the emotions you put in. If you put in love and respect and kindness and curiosity, the horse will return that.” – Allan Hamilton
24. “I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse. I only owe it to the horse’s good nature that I am not thrown off at this very moment.” – Ludwig Wittgenstein
25. “No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.” — Sir Winston Churchill
26. “A man in passion rides a horse that runs away with him.” – Thomas Fuller
27. “I don’t even like old cars. I’d rather have a goddam horse. A horse is at least human, for God’s sake.” – J.D. Salinger
28. “The horse, with beauty unsurpassed, strength immeasurable and grace unlike any other, still remains humble enough to carry a man upon his back” — Amber Senti
29. “If you spend all day on horseback, and you hop off, you walk around like you still have a horse between your legs. And it affects your shoulders. They fall.” – Heath Ledger
30. “A horse can lend its rider the speed and strength he or she lacks – but the rider who is wise remembers it is no more than a loan.” – Pam Brown
31. “We have almost forgotten how strange a thing it is that so huge and powerful and intelligent an animal as a horse should allow another, and far more feeble animal, to ride upon its back.” – Peter Gray
32. “There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse.” – R.S. Surtees
33. “Being on a horse is one of my most natural places to be.” – Sinbad
Inspirational horse quotes
According to the American Horse Council Foundation, the horse industry contributes approximately $50 billion annually to the U.S. economy.
This statistic can be used to highlight the significant economic impact that horses have on our society, and encourage readers to support and participate in the industry.
34. “For one to fly, one needs only to take the reins.” – Melissa James
35. “Will is to grace as the horse is to the rider.” – Saint Augustine
36. “A good horse should be seldom spurred.” – Thomas Fuller
37. “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne
38. “Success is like a wild horse. If you do not know how to handle it, it will throw you off and look for another rider who can handle it well.” – Ajith Kumar
39. “One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a horse master. He told me to go slow to go fast. I think that applies to everything in life. We live as though there aren’t enough hours in the day but if we do each thing calmly and carefully we will get it done quicker and with much less stress.” – Viggo Mortensen
40. “You try to do the best with what you’ve got and ignore everything else. That’s why horses get blinders in horse racing: You look at the horse next to you, and you lose a step.” – Jimmy Iovine
41. “A horse never runs so fast as when he has other horses to catch up and outpace.” – Ovid
42. “It is be st not to swap hor ses while crossing the river.” — Abraham Lincoln
43. “Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that had the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.” — Dale Taylor
Also check out these snake quotes and sayings to make your fears disappear.
Horse quotes about taking care of animals
A survey conducted by the American Youth Horse Council found that horseback riding can help develop important life skills, such as responsibility, confidence, and teamwork.
This statistic can be used to emphasize the value of horseback riding as a character-building activity for children and young adults.
44. “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” – Anatole France
45. “An animal’s eyes have the power to speak a great language.” – Martin Buber
46. “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.” ― Colette
47. “Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man.” ― Arthur Schopenhauer
48. “Animals were once, for all of us, teachers. They instructed us in ways of being and perceiving that extended our imaginations, that were models for additional possibilities.” – Joan McIntyre
49. “Animals are such agreeable friends—they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms.” – George Eliot
50. “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That’s the problem.” ― A.A. Milne
Horse quotes that will inspire you
51. “It’s hard to lead a cavalry charge if you think you look funny on a horse.” – Adlai E. Stevenson
52. “You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.” – Stan Laurel
53. “Being born in a stable does not make one a horse.” – Duke of Wellington
54. “All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.” – Daniel Boone
55. “A horse is the projection of peoples’ dreams about themselves – strong, powerful, beautiful – and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” – Pam Brown
56. “Remember that a painting – before it is a battle horse, a nude model, or some anecdote – is essentially a flat surface covered with colours assembled in a certain order.” – Maurice Denis
57. “No horse gets anywhere until he is harnessed. No stream or gas drives anything until it is confined. No Niagara is ever turned into light and power until it is tunneled. No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated, disciplined.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
58. “A horse is a thing of beauty… none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.” – Xenophon
59. “You never know how a horse will pull until you hook him to a heavy load.” – Bear Bryant
60. “Every different horse has a different personality, like a human.” – Nikola Jokic
More horse quotes and sayings
61. “Of all animals kept for the recreation of mankind, the horse is alone capable of exciting a passion that shall be absolutely hopeless.” —Bret Harte
62. “I love the horse from hoof to head, From head to hoof and tail to mane. I love the horse as I have said, From head to hoof and back again.” —James Whitcomb Riley
63. “It is best not to swap horses while crossing the river.” —Abraham Lincoln
64. “The horse is an archetypal symbol which will always find ways to stir up deep and moving ancestral memories in every human being.” —Paul Mellon
65. “Whenever you observe a horse closely, you feel as if a hum being sitting inside were making fun of you.” —Elias Canetti
66. “My horses are my friends, not my slaves.” —Reiner Klimk
67. “A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.” —Frederico Tesio
68. “When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure it’s a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them.” —Tom Dorrance
69. “A horse is dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle.” —Ian Flemming
70. “Horses lend us the wings we lack.” —Anonymous
Horse quotes that are life lessons
71. “I’ve often said there’s nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse.” -Ronald Reagan
72. “We ought to do good to others as simply as a horse runs, or a bee makes honey, or a vine bears grapes season after season without thinking of the grapes it has borne.” –Marcus Aurelius
73. “Ride the horse in the direction that it’s going.” -Werner Erhard
74. “If an ass goes traveling he will not come home a horse.” -Thomas Fuller
75. “Take care to sell your horse before he dies. The art of life is passing losses on.” -Robert Frost
76. “No horse gets anywhere until he is harnessed…No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated, disciplined.” -Harry Emerson Fosdick
77. “A fly, Sir, may sting a stately horse and make him wince; but, one is but an insect, and the other is a horse still.” -Samuel Johnson
78. “One time, I was given an essay topic: to describe a perfect horse, whom the mere sight of the rider’s whip would make obedient. I depicted this perfect horse throwing his rider at the sight of the whip.” -Marquis de Lafeyette
79. “You’re better off betting on a horse than betting on a man. A horse may not be able to hold you tight, but he doesn’t wanna wander from the stable at night.” -Betty Grable
80. “You fall off the horse, and you get back on. I had to go for it.” -Bethany Hamilton
Inspiring Horse Quotes To Help You Enjoy Horse Riding
Be sure to check out our article Kentucky Derby Quotes That Every Horse Racing Fan Will Love!
81. “What kind of a horse?” “A miraculous kind of horse.” ― Steven Spielberg
82. “No one can teach riding so well as a horse.” — C.S. Lewis
83. “If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or asked the question wrong.” — Pat Parelli
84. “If the horse does not enjoy his work, his rider will have no joy.” — H.H. Isenbart
85. “When you take care of your horse, your horse takes care of you. You can say that about no other creature on the planet.” ― Chloe Thurlow
86. “You cannot train a horse with shouts and expect it to obey a whisper.” — Dagobert D. Runes
87. “Working horses is a little like being married. Sometimes you need to adjust and change your plan.” — Buck Brannaman
88. “When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” ― Chloe Benjamin
89. “I would travel only by horse if I had the choice.” — Linda McCartney
90. “Every time a horse let you up onto its back, it’s giving you its life. Every time.” ― Matthew Stover
Horse Quotes About Your Admirable Partner
91. “Horses make a landscape look beautiful.” ― Alice Walker
92. “Horses are our silent partners. When we learn their language. This partnership grows strong.” — Monty Roberts
93. “Four things greater than all things are—women and horses and power and war.” — Rudyard Kipling
94. “To me, horses and freedom are synonymous.” — Veryl Goodnight
95. “I don’t like people,” said Velvet. “… I only like horses.” ― Enid Bagnold
96. “Horses change lives. They give out young people confidence and self-esteem. They provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls, they give us hope.” ― Toni Robinson
97. “There is no better place to heal a broken heart than on the back of a horse.” ― Missy Lyons
98. “From horses we may learn not only about the horse itself but also about animals in general, indeed about ourselves and about life as a whole.” ― George Gaylord Simpson
99. “Horses were never wrong. They always did what they did for a reason, and it was up to you to figure it out.” — Jeannette Walls
100. “Around the world your horse is often seen as a reflection of your character.” ― Lara Prior-Palmer
When’s the last time you showed appreciation for natural resources and animals?
As mentioned previously, horses have been an integral part of our society for over 6000 years.
In comparison, automobiles have only been around for about 130 years.
Although our technology is constantly progressing, it’s beneficial to take a step back and appreciate the nature around us.
Natural resources have helped us move forward longer than any technological advancement ever.
I believe that we should show more appreciation for the natural resources and animals around us in our day-to-day lives.
We never know when we may have to rely on them again, just as we did for thousands of years.
Which of these horse quotes and sayings is your favorite?
Leave us a comment down below of your thoughts!