Chanakya quotes have continued to enlighten and inspire people for centuries.
If you are also looking for some thought-provoking Chanakya quotes, this article can serve the purpose well for you.
We have created a list of such quotes, allowing you to choose your favorite Chanakya quotes.
In addition, we have also talked about Chanakya and his achievements.
You may also enjoy these related articles:
Who was Chanakya?
Also known as Vishnugupta or Kautilya, Chanakya was a famous ancient Indian philosopher.
He was also a renowned economist, political strategist, and royal advisor.
He lived during the 4th century BCE and was revered widely for his intellect.
When it comes to shaping the Mauryan Empire, Chanakya played a critical role.
It was among the strongest and most influential dynasties in ancient India.
Born in Pataliputra (present-day Patna), Chanakya was raised in an influential Brahmin family.
He has been an exceptional person since his childhood.
Chanakya was intelligent and studied a range of subjects, including:
Contributions to Economic and Political Thoughts
One of the greatest contributions by Chanakya is in the fields of economy and politics.
He wrote the Arthashastra, which was one of its kind ancient Indian treatises.
It covered areas like statecraft, economic policies, and governance.
The Arthashastra also shed light on various other topics, such as:
- War strategies
- Social welfare
Political Strategist and Advisor
Chanakya came with unique strategic and political thoughts.
His teachings are well-documented in his writings.
He was a trusted advisor to Chandragupta Maurya.
Chanakya planned a successful revolt against the Nanda dynasty and won the battle.
Chanakya also trained Chandragupta’s son regarding matters like foreign policy, governance, and administration.
Ethics and Morality
Chanakya also emphasized the role of morality and ethics in governance.
According to him, a ruler must possess the following qualities:
Having these qualities allows a ruler to ensure the prosperity and welfare of the kingdom.
In addition, he also pressed the need to adopt strategic and practical measures to protect the interest of the state.
Legacy and Relevance
Chanakya’s principles and teachings still resonate in modern times.
His theories about diplomacy, economy, and good governance serve as the true guide for policymakers and leaders.
For instance, the Arthashastra suggests a pragmatic approach to administration and statecraft.
It still remains a valuable resource for those involved in governance and politics.
Top 5 Chanakya Quotes
Here are top quotes from Chanakya that can help you learn about different topics.
1. “Power is the cause of alliances.” — Chanakya
2. “The weak should seek refuge in the strong.” — Chanakya
3. “One who can’t determine his goals; cannot win.” — Chanakya
4. “A task in which an expedient is used is not difficult to achieve.” — Chanakya
5. “If people are prosperous, even a leaderless state can be governed.” — Chanakya
Chanakya Quotes About Friendship
Friendship is one of the greatest blessings in the life of humans. Chanakya gave his views about friendship in the following quotes.
6. “Education is the best friend. An educated person is respected everywhere. Education beats the beauty and the youth.” — Chanakya
7. “Never make friends with people who are above or below you in status. Such friendships will never give you any happiness.” — Chanakya
8. “There is some self-interest behind every friendship. There is no friendship without self-interests. This is a bitter truth.” — Chanakya
9. “Test a servant while in the discharge of his duty, a relative in difficulty, a friend in adversity, and a wife in misfortune.” — Chanakya
10. “Treat your kid like a darling for the first five years. For the next five years, scold them. By the time they turn sixteen, treat them like a friend. Your grown-up children are your best friends.” — Chanakya
Chanakya Quotes Related to Wealth
The importance of wealth cannot be avoided, but it should be used for a good cause. Chanakya gave various suggestions about how to use your wealth sensibly.
11. “Prosperity abandons one who is satisfied with wealth.” — Chanakya
12. “Accumulated wealth is saved by spending just as incoming fresh water is saved by letting out stagnant water.” — Chanakya
13. “Sinfully acquired wealth may remain for ten years; in the eleventh year, it disappears when even the original stock.” — Chanakya
14. “O, wise man! Give your wealth only to the worthy and never to others. The water of the sea received by the clouds is always sweet.” — Chanakya
15. “One whose knowledge is confined to books and whose wealth is in the possession of others can use neither knowledge nor wealth to carry it into execution.” — Chanakya
Chanakya Quotes About Happiness
Happiness is a great feeling that one can enjoy in his life. Happiness has many reasons, and Chanakya has presented his views on happiness in the following quotes.
16. “Righteousness is the root of happiness.” — Chanakya
17. “Who realizes all the happiness that he desires? Everything is in the hands of God. Therefore one should learn contentment.” — Chanakya
18. “The happiness and peace attained by those satisfied by the nectar of spiritual tranquility is not attained by greedy persons restlessly moving here and there.” — Chanakya
19. “There is no austerity equal to a balanced mind, and there is no happiness equal to contentment; there is no disease like covetousness and no virtue like mercy.” — Chanakya
20. “He who is prepared for the future and he who deals cleverly with any situation that may arise are both happy, but the fatalistic man who wholly depends on luck is ruined.” — Chanakya
Chanakya Quotes On Life and Success
As a great learned man, Chanakya used his knowledge and observations for the betterment of others. Following are some great Chanakya quotes on life, success, and wisdom.
21. “Learn from other people’s mistakes… you can’t live long enough to make them all yourselves.” — Chanakya
22. “Once you start working on something, don’t be afraid of failure, and don’t abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest.” — Chanakya
23. “As long as your body is healthy and under control and death is distant, try to save your soul; when death is immanent, what can you do?” — Chanakya
24. “We should always speak what would please the man of whom we expect a favor, like a hunter who sings sweetly when he desires to shoot a deer.” — Chanakya
25. “We should not feel pride in our charity, austerity, valor, scriptural knowledge, modesty, and morality, for the world is full of the rarest gems.” — Chanakya
Which One of these Chanakya Quotes is your Favorite?
Chanakya was a brilliant economist and philosopher.
His teachings on governance and statecraft are timeless.
Chanakya is still revered by current philosophers and economists.
People also share Chanakya quotes to spread his ideas and teachings.
By going through our list of the best Chanakya quotes, you can find your favorite Chanakya quote.
If you have found one, do share it with us via the comments section.
We would love to hear from you.