Dorothy Parker was an American writer who specialized in poetry, satire, and wisecracks.
These Dorothy Parker quotes bring her truths to the page, uncovering life’s truths.
Parker spent most of her life in New York, and much of her writing points out the complications that come with modern urban life.
What truths can we pick from Dorothy Parker’s famous quotes?
Dorothy Parker is known for her realistic views on life.
She brings to light the truths behind living in this modern world, being in love, and being a writer.
But the main thing we can take away is the way she approaches life—as a cynic and a realist, pointing out the reality of life’s triumphs and tragedies.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking Dorothy Parker quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Don’t forget to also check out these Frida Kahlo quotes for strength and inspiration.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
Dorothy Parker Quotes About The Harsh Realities of Life
1. “Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone.” – Dorothy Parker
You will also enjoy our article on Dragon Ball Z quotes.
2. “The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.” – Dorothy Parker
You will also enjoy our article on elephant quotes.
3. “I don’t know much about being a millionaire, but I’ll bet I’d be darling at it.” – Dorothy Parker
4. “What fresh hell is this?” – Dorothy Parker
You will also enjoy our article on The Hangover quotes.
5. “That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgement.” – Dorothy Parker
6. “If I didn’t care for fun and such, I’d probably amount to much. But I shall stay the way I am, because I do not give a damn.” – Dorothy Parker
7. “This wasn’t just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.” – Dorothy Parker
8. “If you wear a short enough skirt, the party will come to you.” – Dorothy Parker
9. “Ducking for apples—change one letter and it’s the story of my life.” – Dorothy Parker
10. “A hangover is the wrath of grapes.” – Dorothy Parker
11. “Time doth flit; oh shit.” – Dorothy Parker
12. “But I don’t give up; I forget why not.” – Dorothy Parker
Dorothy Parker Quotes About People
13. “If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.” – Dorothy Parker
14. “Don’t look at me in that tone of voice.” – Dorothy Parker
15. “You can’t lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.” – Dorothy Parker
16. “That woman speaks eighteen languages and can’t say ‘no’ in any of them.” – Dorothy Parker
17. “Constant use had not worn ragged the fabric of their friendship.” – Dorothy Parker
18. “Now I know the things I know, and I do the things I do; and if you do not like me so, to hell, my love, with you!” – Dorothy Parker
19. “The best way to keep children at home is to make the home atmosphere pleasant, and let the air out of the tires.” – Dorothy Parker
20. “There’s a hell of a distance between wise-cracking and wit. Wit has truth in it; wise-cracking is simply calisthenics with words.” – Dorothy Parker
21. “Women and elephants never forget.” – Dorothy Parker
22. “A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika.” – Dorothy Parker
23. “You think you’re frightening me with your hell, don’t you? You think your hell is worse than mine.” – Dorothy Parker
24. “Three be the things I shall never attain: envy, content, and sufficient champagne.” – Dorothy Parker
25. “Living well is the best revenge.” – Dorothy Parker
What did you learn from these Dorothy Parker quotes?
Dorothy Parker quotes show us the truths behind living in this, sometimes, cruel and harsh modern reality.
She points out the realities of love, of being a writer, and of life and money.
Dorothy Parker spent much of her life in New York, working as a writer and critic.
She is most famous for her poetry and satire.
What can Dorothy Parker’s writing teach us?
Parker is known for having the truth in her writing, but she is also wise in her words.
She often uncovers the truth in life through criticism and wit, and brings the beauty of tragedy to life through her writing.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these inspirational Dorothy Parker quotes?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.