These sad anime quotes prove that anime is not just a cartoon.
Anime tackles lots of topics that can make someone sad like death, loneliness, and heartbreak.
Some of these are so relatable they may just move you to tears.
This quote collection includes sayings from some of the best shows like Sword Art Online, Naruto, and Death Note.
If you haven’t seen these, then you should definitely give them a shot.
You can watch Sword Art Online on Netflix.
The show chronicles the adventures of a video game whiz who discovers a way for players to control their avatars with their bodies.
However, he soon discovers that dying in the game means you will die in real life.
That adds a new spin on these sad anime quotes about death.
Keep reading through the list for more about where you can watch some of these other popular anime shows.
Don’t forget to also check out these anime quotes to motivate & inspire you.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
You will also enjoy our article on lonely quotes.
Sad Anime quotes about death
1. “In every world, once you die, you’re gone.” — Akihiko Kayaba, Sword Art Online
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about death.
2. “Once you’re gone, that’s it. What’s so heroic and noble about being dead!” ― Lina Inverse, Slayers!
You will also enjoy our article on suicide quotes.
3. “All this time, I seriously thought that it’s better to die than to live your life alone.” ― Kirito, Sword Art Online
You will also enjoy our article on Ken Kaneki quotes.
4. “Death is simply another stage of our life.” ― Grand Elder Guru, Dragon Ball Z
You will also enjoy our article on Naruto quotes.
5. “Everyone dies eventually, whether they have power or not. That’s why you need to think about what you’ll accomplish while you’re alive.” ― Mary Macbeth, Blood Blockade Battlefront
You will also enjoy our article on Dragon Ball Z quotes.
6. “Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived.” ― Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop
7. “Death isn’t kind. It’s dark and black and as far as you… As far as you can see you’re all alone. There’s no one else.” ― Mei Misaki, Another!
8. “War brings death. And wounds and pain to both sides. There’s nothing harder to accept, than the deaths of those you love. So you believe they could never die. Especially those who haven’t known war.” — Nagato, Naruto
9. “While you’re alive, you need a reason for your existence. Being unable to find one is the same as being dead.” — Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
10. “When do you think people die? When they are shot through the heart by the bullet of a pistol? No. When they are ravaged by an incurable disease? No. When they drink a soup made from a poisonous mushroom? No! It’s when… they are forgotten.” ― Dr. Hiruluk, One Piece
You will also enjoy our article on itachi quotes.
Sad Anime quotes about loneliness
11. “People cannot win against their loneliness.” ― Gaara, Naruto
You will also enjoy our article on One Piece quotes.
12. “Perhaps the companionship of an evil person is preferable to loneliness.” ― Gaara, Naruto
13. “I know the loneliness of being a prisoner. I know the joy you feel when your friends come to rescue you and the fear of them being injured and defeated.” ― Rukia Kuchiki, Bleach
14. “The warmth of another person’s flesh is scary. It thaws out the loneliness that you had forgotten about so easily.” ― Rokka Shimao, Natsuyuki Rendezvous
15. “Loneliness is peaceful, but there’ll be no one to share happiness with.” ― Ayumu Aikawa, Is This a Zombie?
16. “Loneliness is a sickness that leads to death.” ― Holo, Spice and Wolf
17. “There’s no lack of painful things in this world, but hunger and loneliness must surely be two of the worst. Thanks to you, I didn’t know a moment of either of them.” ― Sakae Jinnouchi, Summer Wars
18. “I’ve gained freedom…and yet… it’s so lonesome…” ― Sohma Momiji, Fruits Basket
19. “There are people in this world who prefer solitude. But there is no one who can withstand it.” ― Makarov Dreyar, Fairy Tail
20. “Your eyes tell me how badly you wish to kill the one who put you through hell called loneliness.” — Gaara, Naruto
Sad Anime quotes from Naruto
21. “When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred.” — Madara Uchiha, Naruto
22. “The longer you live, the more you realise that reality is just made of pain, suffering and emptiness…” — Madara Uchiha, Naruto
23. “Fear. That is what we live with. And we live with it every day. Only in death are we free of it.” — Neji Hyuga, Naruto
24. “People cannot show each other their true feelings. Fear, suspicion, and resentment never subside.” — Madara Uchiha, Naruto
25. “Look, There is nothing in my heart, I don’t even feel pain.” — Obito Uchiha, Naruto
26. “It doesn’t bleed, but I have been having a lot of pain around here.” — Gaara, Naruto
27. “We were alone and starved for love, Kids that lived in a world full of hate.” — Konan, Naruto
28. “It’s too late to regret. Reality is just cruelly moving forward.” — Obito Uchiha, Naruto
29. “Moving on doesn’t mean you forget about things. It just means you have to accept what happened and continue living.” — Jiraiya, Naruto
30. “Those who can’t acknowledge their real selves are bound to fail.” — Itachi Uchiha, Naruto
Sad Anime quotes from Death Note
31. “In this world, there are very few people who actually trust each other.” ― Light Yagami, Death Note
32. “Being alone is better than being with the wrong person.” ― L Lawliet, Death Note
33. “Not every genius is understood.” ― L Lawliet, Death Note
34. “There are many types of monsters in this world. Monsters who will not show themselves and who cause trouble; monsters who abduct children; monsters who devour dreams; monsters who suck blood, and… monsters who always tell lies.” ― L Lawliet, Death Note
35. “No matter how gifted you are… You, alone, cannot change the world.” ― L Lawliet, Death Note
36. “The human world is a boring place with boring people doing boring things.” ― Ryuk, Death Note
37. “This has gotta be the longest 40 seconds of my life.” — Light Yagami, Death Note
38. “This world is rotten, and those who are making it rot deserve to die. Someone has to do it, so why not me?” — Light Yagami, Death Note
39. “If you can’t beat the game, if you can’t solve the puzzle, you’re nothing but a loser.” ― Near, Death Note
40. “The real evil is the power to kill people. Someone who finds himself with that power is cursed. No matter how you use it, anything obtained by killing people can never bring true happiness.” — Soichiro Yagami, Death Note
Sad Anime quotes about heartbreak and love
41. “You idiot. You’d gotten yourself up in a tizzy about romance, right? ‘Love’ you experience in that state is just self-delusion. There’s no point in getting depressed over love like that.” — Kyouya Sata, Wolf Girl and Black Prince
42. “The two of us aren’t so different. My whole life I’ve desired from others. I felt bitter to the people around me and I closed off my heart. And a heart that lets nothing in, will become empty before you realize it. — Mei Aihara, Citrus
43. “Love is simply an electrical bug in the human neural circuit.” ― Akasaka Ryuunosuke, My Pet Girl Sakurasou.
44. “The moment you find the courage to give up your life for someone… would be the moment you understand love.” ― Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin
45. “Love is like a mirror that reflects your bad side. Especially when it’s unrequited, you get envious, jealous, prejudiced, and resentful. You have to face all sorts of emotions, but there’s no reason to find that shameful.” ― Margery Daw, Shakugan no Shana
46. “Love is never as simple as sharing the same path.” ― Khamsin, Shakugan no Shana
47. “Is there a limit to how much you can love somebody? No matter how much I hurt him or get hurt by him, I find myself far from hating him, actually hoping that those wounds will scar, like burns… Because then you can never forget me.” ― Kamijou Hiroki, Junjou Romantica
48. “There is only one person who you can each truly love. It’s too bad that you can’t change who that person is. If you could, then you both would be a lot happier.” ― Arisugawa Juri, Shoujo Kakumei Utena
49. “Someday my memories will fade…And her voice, her actions, I might forget them as well. But I will always remember that I loved Saber.” ― Shirou Emiya, Fate Stay Night
50. “But slowly I realized It was real – that you were gone. And little by little, I slowly felt something inside me go numb.” ― Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop
Sad Anime Quotes About Pain In Life
51. “Even if things are painful and tough, people should appreciate what it means to be alive.” – Yato
52. “Those painful memories are what help us make it to tomorrow and become stronger.” – Erza Scarlet
53. “If you don’t share someone’s pain, you can never understand them.” – Nagato
54. “When you are miserable, you need something that is even more miserable than you to feel good about yourself.” – Lucy
55. “That’s right. This world is cruel. It hit me that living was like a miracle.” – Mikasa Ackerman
56. There’s no such thing as a particularly terrible death, that’s why it’s frightening.” – Sunako
57. “There are people in this world who don’t understand that what they consider a harmless prank can deeply hurt someone else.” – Mio Nishizono
58. “If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win!” ― Eren Yaeger
59. “Living without protecting what needs to be protected is the same as death…” — Hideaki Sorachi
60. “Fear is necessary for evolution. The fear that one could be destroyed at any moment.” ― Sosuke Aizen
Sad Anime Quotes That Make You Shed A Tear
61. “I wish people who say: “I’d rather die” would actually die before they say it. So that they’ll know how I feel.” – Subaru Natsuki
62. “They call certain methods of fighting good and others evil, acting as if there were some nobility to the battlefield. Such illusions, perpetrated by heroes throughout history, have led countless young men to their bloody deaths, all for the sake of this valor and glory.” – Kiritsugu Emiya
63. “Kakarot… please… destroy Frieza… He made me what I am. Don’t…let him… do it… to anyone else. whatever it takes… Stop him… Please.” – Vegeta
64. “The thing I wished for destroyed my whole family. I brought all this suffering down on my family because I made a wish for my dad without knowing what he really wanted.” – Kyoko Sakura
65. ”Humans die. Animals die. Plants die. Even soul reapers die. It’s the arch of the universe. Everything that comes to life eventually ceases to exist.” – Baraggan Louisenbairn
66. “I bet dead people are easier to get along with.” – Crona
67. “Remember what you said before? A normal person with a gun will wind up doing something he never thought himself capable of? No one in this world can truly hold himself separate from violence. Guns are literally within reach of anyone. Sadly that’s where we put our faith, in bullets rather than human kindness.”- Koko Hekmatyar
68. “The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they don’t wish to see anyone else suffer the way they did.” – Jellal Fernandes
69. “Are you listening god? The thing is, mom and dad don’t like each other anymore. And it’s my fault for being such a useless daughter.” – Hatori Shikishima
70. “The scariest thing about killing people is getting used to it! When you kill someone and realize you won’t be punished… That’s when people forget all about punishment.” – Rentaro Satomi
Sad Anime Quotes For Losing a Loved One
71. “Once you’ve met someone you never really forget them. It just takes a while for your memories to return.” — Zeniba
72. “You will never be able to love anybody else until you love yourself.” — Lelouch Lamperouge
73. “To know sorrow is not terrifying. What is terrifying is to know you can’t go back to the happiness you could have.” — Matsumoto Rangiku
74. “The scariest and the most painful thing is to be hated by someone you truly love.” — Tohru Honda
75. “How can you move forward when you keep regretting the past?” — Edward Elric
76. “Forgetting is like a wound. The wound may heal, but it has already left a scar.” — Monkey D. Luffy
77. “I finally get a bouquet and it’s a goodbye present. That’s depressing.” — Chihiro Ogino
78. “Even if I’m worthless, and carry demon blood… thank you, for loving me!” — Portgas D. Ace
79. “It’s painful when you get disappointed by the person you look up to.“ — Misaki Ayuzawa
80. “People’s lives don’t end when they die. It ends when they lose faith.” — Itachi Uchiha
Sad Anime Quotes That Are Emotional
81. “Whatever you lose, you’ll find it again. But what you throw away, you’ll never get back.” — Kenshin Himura
82. “No matter how hurt someone is, they’re meant to overcome it and try to go forward.” — Mirajane Strauss
83. “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something.” — Lucy Heartfilia
84. “When you are feeling sad, smile, even if you have to force yourself. If you cry when it gets painful, it will only get more painful.” — Chie
65. “Having happy and beautiful memories won’t always bring you salvation. The more beautiful a memory is, the more painful it can become.” — Isla
86. “I don’t care if no one likes me. I wasn’t created in this world to entertain everyone.” — Houtarou Oreki
87. “Never trust anyone too much, remember, the devil was once an angel.” — Ken Kaneki
88. “Maybe if I was to kill the most important people in your life, everyone who’s ever meant anything, maybe, then I’d listen to you because maybe then you’ll have some idea how I feel!” — Sasuke Uchiha
89. “Sadness, happiness, everything. Death gently strips them away.” — Banana Fish
90. “Living is anxiety and pain. It’s continuing to think, continuing to choose.” — Alcor
Emotional Sad Anime Quotes
91. “We’re all just searching for a way to be forgiven.” ― ― L Lawliet
92. “It’s not how much we lost, but how much we have left.” ― Monkey D. Luffy
93. “The only thing that can heal a broken heart is time.” ― Akame
94. “It’s the people you meet and the memories you make that make life worth living.” ― Satoru Fujinuma
95. “You can’t change the past, but you can learn from it.” ― Yuki Nagato
96. “It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.” ― Kira Yoshikage
97. “The past can never be changed, but it can be overcome.” ― Rintarou Okabe
98. “It’s not about how much you suffered but how much you grew from suffering.” ― Makoto Naegi
99. “It’s not the end of the world, but sometimes it feels like it.” ― Tomoya Okazaki
100. “It’s not always about trying to fix something broken. Sometimes, it’s about starting over and creating something better.” ― Kyosuke Munakata
Where to find some of the shows these sad anime quotes come from
There are several different episodes of Naruto available on Netflix.
Naruto is the story of a young Ninja who seeks recognition from his peers.
He has dreams of becoming the Hokage, or leader of his village.
It isn’t surprising that several of the sad anime quotes about loneliness come from this show.
Death Note is available on Hulu and Netflix.
This story follows a teenager who discovers a book that will allow him a supernatural ability to kill anyone whose name is written in the book.
That’s a scary thought for sure!
Loneliness, death, and heartbreak, are things we will all experience.
These sad anime quotes express the emotion in a deep and relatable way.
Which of these sad anime quotes came from some of your favorite anime shows?
Do you have some more you want to add?
You can use the comment section below to share your thoughts with us.
December 23, 2022 6:00 AM EST