These Dr. Phil quotes cover everything from marriage and relationships, health and wellness, and working on yourself!
Dr. Phil has a doctorate in clinical psychology and held a license to practice until 2006. He appeared several times on Oprah in the late 90s, quickly becoming a fan favorite, due in part to his witty Dr. Phil-isms. Oprah helped him launch his own show, and over the years he has had a lot more to say!
I personally quote Dr. Phil a lot when I tell my husband, “Do you want to be happy, or do you want to be right?” Dr. Phil’s wife Robin also appears on the show from time to time, but the whole family is involved in the production.
His son, Jay McGraw is an executive producer of Dr. Phil’s extension show, The Doctors. Since Dr. Phil started his practice with his father, this seems fitting!
Don’t forget to also check out these Dr. Sebi quotes that will make you put the cookie down.
Dr. Phil quotes on marriage and relationships
1. “Take it from a guy: If you’re in love with somebody, you will swim the stream, you will climb the mountain, you will slay the dragon. You’re going to get to her somehow, some way.” – Dr. Phil
2. “There’s a big difference between falling in love and being in love. There’s a big difference between infatuation and falling in love.” – Dr. Phil
3. “When you get married, your loyalty, first and foremost, is to your spouse, and to the family that you create together.” – Dr. Phil
4. “I think you’re running into a lot of trouble if your idea of foreplay is, ‘Brace yourself, honey, here I come!'” – Dr. Phil
5. “Relationships are negotiated, and if you deal with ultimatums and authority all the time, then you’re not going to get anywhere.” – Dr. Phil
6. “If you’ve gone into a marriage and you haven’t been clear about how you’re going to handle money, how you want to raise kids, who is going to work or stay home, or what have you, then you’ve set yourself up for failure.” – Dr. Phil
7. “There is nothing wrong with your marriage if you’re dealing with bills and kids and the broken garbage disposal and in-laws and work demands. That’s a normal marriage.” – Dr. Phil
8. “It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else.” – Dr. Phil
Dr. Phil quotes on “you”
9. “You’re only lonely if you’re not there for you.” – Dr. Phil
10. “You need to listen to your body because your body is listening to you.” – Dr. Phil
11. “If you want more, you have to require more from yourself.” – Dr. Phil
12. “The most you get is what you ask for.” – Dr. Phil
13. “Sometimes you just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you.” – Dr. Phil
14. “You have got to decide, look, this is who I am; this is my best way to present myself, and I’m going to ride that horse to the finish line. Not everybody will like it, but that’s OK.” – Dr. Phil
15. “At the end of the day, whether or not those people are comfortable with how you’re living your life doesn’t matter. What matters is whether you’re comfortable with it.” – Dr. Phil
16. “If you’re trying to get out of debt, you have to be willing to treat everything as expendable.” – Dr. Phil
17. “We all have a social mask, right? We put it on; we go out, put our best foot forward, our best image. But behind that social mask is a personal truth, what we really, really believe about who we are and what we’re capable of.” – Dr. Phil
18. “I tell you, if you’re in the front row of the parade and you stop walking, pretty soon you’re back in the tuba section. And if you want to lead the parade, you’ve got to keep moving.” – Dr. Phil
19. “Every one of us have things that we believe about ourselves when nobody else is looking, nobody else is listening, nobody else is monitoring what we’re doing. We believe things about ourself.” – Dr. Phil
20. “When you allow a person’s words to upset you, you’re giving away your power.” – Dr. Phil
Dr. Phil McGraw ‘isms’ and words of wisdom
21. “Sometimes you make the right decision, sometimes you make the decision right.” – Dr. Phil
22. “Awareness without action is worthless.” – Dr. Phil
23. “It’s so much easier to tell people what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear.” – Dr. Phil
24. “You don’t need a pack of wild horses to learn how to make a sandwich.” – Dr. Phil
25. “It’s hard to see your own face without a mirror.” – Dr. Phil
26. “We teach people how to treat us.” – Dr. Phil
27. “Nothing’s funnier to me than laughing at myself.” – Dr. Phil
28. “Not everybody is some kind of media model.” – Dr. Phil
29. “Don’t wait until you’re in a crisis to come up with a crisis plan.” – Dr. Phil
30. “Eighty percent of all choices are based on fear. Most people don’t choose what they want; they choose what they think is safe.” – Dr. Phil
31. “Well, I’m not sure what pop psychology is, but I don’t like it.” – Dr. Phil
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of psychology quotes that will help you understand yourself.
32. “Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?” – Dr. Phil
33. “No matter how flat you make a pancake, it’s still got two sides.” – Dr. Phil
34. “I didn’t just come in on a load of turnips!” – Dr. Phil
Dr. Phil McGraw quotes about health and wellness
35. “A year from now, you’re gonna weigh more or less than what you do right now.” – Dr. Phil
36. “Everyone faces the challenge of finding meaning to their suffering.” – Dr. Phil
37. “What I want people to do is what’s healthy for them.” – Dr. Phil
38. “Food is a coping mechanism; people are afraid of giving it up because then they’ll feel confused and lost.” – Dr. Phil
39. “I’ve talked to so many people, men and women alike, that get overweight and their self-esteem just goes in the tank. They think they’re judged. They think they’re unattractive.” – Dr. Phil
40. “Successful weight loss takes programming, not willpower.” – Dr. Phil
41. “First, you’re going to have to stop using food for anything other than nutrition. You cannot continue to use food to celebrate, or as a companion, or for entertainment, or comfort. You cannot medicate yourself, your mood, or pain with food.” – Dr. Phil
Dr. Phil quotes about politics, society, and patriotism
42. “If your neighbor has a completely different view on abortion, gay marriage, stem cell research, all of those things, you still are both Americans. Neither one of you is necessarily more patriotic than the other. Neither loves their country any more than the other one does.” – Dr. Phil
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of abortion quotes for those thinking about the big decision.
43. “The truth is, I think we are a self-less society, not a selfish society. Because we’re so busy now.” – Dr. Phil
44. “I’m embarrassed every time I look a teacher in the eye because we ask them to do so much for so little.” – Dr. Phil
45. “I’m one of those that believes you can’t be one kind of a man and another kind of president.” – Dr. Phil
46. “I’m not a politician.” – Dr. Phil
47. “There are some sick people in this world.” – Dr. Phil
48. “Drama and crisis are currency to them because they love the power to make people react. They thrive on a good fight, a good scandal, a good drama.” – Dr. Phil
49. “Life experiences, mental illness, drugs, greed, environment, and poor role-modeling can all forge damaged people and can generate a darkness, an exploitativeness, in the way they approach life. Whatever their genesis, there are people in your life (and mine) who will hurt you if you let them.” – Dr. Phil
50. “These are our neighbors, our co-workers, friends’ children… the problem is closer than you think, but so is the solution.” – Dr. Phil
What did you learn from these Dr. Phil quotes?
Dr. Phil has a unique approach to psychology that most of his fans appreciate. He says, “I’m not the Hush-Puppies, pipe, and ‘Let’s talk about your mother’ kind of psychologist.”
This has earned him some criticism from other psychologists. There are also some controversies and lawsuits that he has had to deal with over the years, including an interaction with Brittany Spears back in 2008.
There have been complaints from previous show participants, other professionals, and even his ex-wife. She claimed that he was over-bearing and not the perfect husband he portrays himself as on his TV show.
The show is produced as an “advice show,” and because he isn’t a licensed psychologist he can not give medical advice.
What do you think? Are you a fan of the show? If so, share one of your favorite Dr. Phil quotes and sayings in the comment section below.
December 24, 2020 7:00 AM EST