Get to know the ground-breaking entertainer with the unforgettably sultry voice with these Eartha Kitt quotes.
Below are the best selections of Earth Kitt’s most memorable quotes for your enjoyment.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
Who was Eartha Kitt?
Eartha Kitt was an award-winning artist and entertainer whose career transcended many limitations.
Earth was born in the fields of South Carolina on January 17, 1927.
Her mother was a sharecropper, and her father’s identity is unknown.
She was given away by her mother at nine years old and found herself living in Harlem.
Check out these Eartha Kitt facts below:
- The United States exiled her for making anti-war statements.
- She was the first African American to star as Catwoman in the original Batman series.
- Eartha’s birthdate was unknown until students from her hometown discovered her birth certificate.
What is Eartha Kitt known for?
Eartha is known for many things.
Her fans fondly remember her as an artist, actress, singer, dancer, and peaceful protester.
She started working at the age of 15 in a factory in Brooklyn, New York.
From there, she sang, danced, and performed wherever she could until she entered the spotlight.
Kitt made her big break dancing with the Katherine Dunham Dance Troupe and toured Europe.
There, she wowed crowds and was a solo performer at the most popular nightclubs.
Actor and director Orson Welles once called her the “most exciting girl in the world.”
Eartha Kitt has starred in many successful movies and television shows.
Indeed, her most iconic role was as Catwoman in the original Batman series.
She replaced actress Julie Newmar for the third and final season.
Why did Eartha Kitt get exiled?
As a black woman in America, Eartha Kitt is seen as an outspoken pioneer in many respects.
She was a passionate supporter of peace who spoke out against war.
The war in Vietnam was a horrific and brutal campaign, and Kitt courageously spoke out against the violence.
While addressing war’s negative impacts on young people, she once said, “You send the best of this country off to be shot and maimed. No wonder the kids rebel and take pot.”
Kitt was not afraid to share her beliefs.
It is said she made those comments about the Vietnam War to then First Lady of the United States, Ladybird Johnson.
For these reasons, she was exiled and forced to go to Europe.
In Europe, she thrived as an entertainer and learned fluent French.
A decade later, the United States allowed her to return home.
Eartha Kitt has a fascinating story.
To learn more, check out our Eartha Kitt quotes below.
The top Eartha Kitt quotes about self-love and greed
Earth Kitt was a pioneer in normalizing beauty and self-care practices.
1. “I have to keep testing myself.” — Eartha Kitt
2. “The public has become my fairy godmother.” — Eartha Kitt
3. “Greed is so destructive. It destroys everything.” — Eartha Kitt
4. “A cat is a cat. She has no race creed or collar.” — Eartha Kitt
5. “I never take anything for granted. I may slip any minute.” — Eartha Kitt
Earth Kitt quotes about innocence and children that will make you smile
Eartha Kitt had a unique charisma and loved making the world better.
6. “Innocence is one of the most exciting things in the world.” — Eartha Kitt
7. “I don’t believe in bringing children into the world out of wedlock.” — Eartha Kitt
8. “I am the last of the Mohicans, the creme de la creme of cabaret.” — Eartha Kitt
9. “I was called a naughty girl only because I was singing naughty songs.” — Eartha Kitt
10. “Live theater to me is much more free than the movies or television.” — Eartha Kitt
Eartha Kitt quotes about looking beautiful and feeling sexy
Kitt pushed the envelope as an entertainer and opened doors for other artists.
11. “I am the original Material Girl.” — Eartha Kitt
12. “I love to tease men with my legs.” — Eartha Kitt
13. “I love men, and I like to get their attention.” — Eartha Kitt
14. “In essence, I’m a sophisticated cotton picker.” — Eartha Kitt
15. “What we do in private is our private business.” — Eartha Kitt
Earth Kitt quotes reminding you not to compromise your style
Kitt is admired for her commitment to being herself on and off the stage.
16. “I fight for other people better than I fight for myself.” — Eartha Kitt
18. “People these days are thinking less and drinking more.” — Eartha Kitt
19. “Thank God you’ve got a sense of humor, or you’d be in trouble.” — Eartha Kitt
20. “Everything should be done with moderation and using common sense.” — Eartha Kitt
The best Earth Kitt quotes about fighting for what you love
Eartha took strong stances on things she believed in and was always willing to speak her mind.
21. “When we want to have our own style of living, it is nobody’s business but ours.” — Eartha Kitt
22. “Having my animals or my children with me exorcises that feeling of not being wanted.” — Eartha Kitt
23. “You send the best of this country off to be shot and maimed. No wonder the kids rebel and take pot.” — Eartha Kitt
24. “People, in general, are used to seeing me as the naughty girl because that’s what they’ve always cast me as.” — Eartha Kitt
25. “I do not have an act. I just do Eartha Kitt. I want to be whoever Eartha Kitt is until the gods take me wherever they take me.” — Eartha Kitt
How is Eartha Kitt’s legacy relevant today?
Superhero movies have been among the most successful film genres for the last twenty years.
Eartha Kitt is among the first African American women to star in a superhero television series.
Her role as Catwoman raised the bar of what people believed was possible and opened doors for more black and brown actresses to get a shot.
Before Halle Berry or Zoe Kravitz, Eartha Kitt laid the foundation for the Catwoman role.
Her sultry voice, electric style, and smooth mannerisms set the tone for how other actresses would embody Catwoman.
Additionally, she starred in successful films such as Holes, Boomerang, and Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
Kitt died of colon cancer in her home in 2008, but her legacy and imprint on American entertainment will never be forgotten.
Do you have a favorite Eartha Kitt quote?
Please, be sure to let us know in the comments.