Our latest collection of F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes on Everyday Power.
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American fiction writer who is considered one of the greatest American writers of the 20th century. His famous novel, The Great Gatsby, is widely regarded as a literary classic and is required reading in many high school and college classes.
Born on September 24th, 1896 in Saint Paul, Minnesota, Fitzgerald began honing his craft as a writer from an early age. At the age of 24, he became one of the country’s most promising young writers following the publication of his first novel, This Side of Paradise.
He finished four novels during his lifetime, while a fifth, unfinished novel, was published posthumously. In addition, Fitzgerald wrote a large number of short stories for popular magazines during his career. And in his final years, he worked as a screenwriter and freelance story writer in Hollywood.
Fitzgerald died of a massive heart attack on 21st December 1940, leaving behind a legacy as one of the most distinguished authors in the history of American literature.
Although he enjoyed limited success during his lifetime, his work has inspired many writers and continues to draw huge admiration. To celebrate the contribution he made to the world of literature, here are some beautiful F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes.
Also check out these beautiful Great Gatsby quotes on love and loss.
F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes on love and life
1. “The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. “Personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. “After all, life hasn’t much to offer except youth, and I suppose for older people, the love of youth in others.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
4. “I wasn’t actually in love, but I felt a sort of tender curiosity.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
5. “Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our selection of friendship quotes celebrating life-long relationships.
6. “There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
7. “I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
8. “Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
9. “There are all kinds of love in this world but never the same love twice.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
10. “I love her, and that’s the beginning and end of everything.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes to inspire and teach
11. “No grand idea was ever born in a conference, but a lot of foolish ideas have died there.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
12. “That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you’re not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
13. “No such thing as a man willing to be honest – that would be like a blind man willing to see.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
14. “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
15. “It takes two to make an accident.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
16. “Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone…just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
17. “Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
18. “Sometimes it is harder to deprive oneself of a pain than of a pleasure.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
19. “I’m a slave to my emotions, to my likes, to my hatred of boredom, to most of my desires.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
20. “Life is much more successfully looked at from a single window.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes on writing and happiness
21. “You don’t write because you want to say something, you write because you have something to say.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
22. “Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
23. “Writers aren’t people exactly. Or, if they’re any good, they’re a whole lot of people trying so hard to be one person.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
24. “Great books write themselves, only bad books have to be written.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
25. “The lights grow brighter as the earth lurches away from the sun.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
26. “All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
27. “What people are ashamed of usually makes a good story.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
28. “The ability to hold two competing thoughts in one’s mind and still be able to function is the mark of a superior mind.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
29. “I don’t care about truth. I want some happiness.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
30. “I may turn out an intellectual, but I’ll never write anything but mediocre poetry.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes to inspire you to live your best life
31. “I don’t want to repeat my innocence. I want the pleasure of losing it again.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
32. “I want to know you moved and breathed in the same world with me.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
33. “The world only exists in your eyes. You can make it as big or as small as you want.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
34. “All I kept thinking about, over and over, was ‘You can’t live forever; you can’t live forever.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
35. “It is not life that’s complicated, it’s the struggle to guide and control life.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
36. “Well, you never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people’s lives.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
37. “For what it’s worth, it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
38. “His dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
39. “I never blame failure – there are too many complicated situations in life – but I am absolutely merciless toward lack of effort.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
40. “Either you think, or else others have to think for you and take power from you, pervert and discipline your natural tastes, civilize and sterilize you.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
Other inspirational F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes
41. “The world, as a rule, does not live on beaches and in country clubs.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
42. “Show me a hero, and I’ll write you a tragedy.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
43. “Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
44. “Strange children should smile at each other and say, ‘Let’s play.'” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
45. “The idea that to make a man work you’ve got to hold gold in front of his eyes is a growth, not an axiom. We’ve done that for so long that we’ve forgotten there’s any other way.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
46. “In a real dark night of the soul, it is always three o’clock in the morning, day after day.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
47. “To be kind is more important than to be right. Many times, what people need is not a brilliant mind that speaks but a special heart that listens.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
48. “Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
49. “Everywhere we go and move on and change, something’s lost–something’s left behind. You can’t ever quite repeat anything, and I’ve been so yours, here–” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
50. “The strongest guard is placed at the gateway to nothing … maybe because the condition of emptiness is too shameful to be divulged.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
You might also like these Benjamin Button quotes about living life to the full
Which of these F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes was your favorite?
Since his works didn’t receive much commercial or critical success during his lifetime, Fitzgerald might have died believing himself a failure.
However, he gained enormous posthumous recognition and is now considered one of the greatest writers America produced in the 20th century. Hopefully, these quotes have inspired and motivated you to fight for your dreams and live your best life.
Did you enjoy these F. Scott Fitzgerald quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? We would love to hear all about in the comment section below.