Whether you need a little creativity or feel it bubbling up inside, you’ll love these drawing quotes.
Too many people in society think that loving and pursuing art means that you need to be a starving artist.
But that’s not true. Art is a hobby well worth your time in pursuing and drawing is a skill that people have admired all throughout history.
Drawing is a way that you can save your memories for years to come. Drawing is a way to show the world what you see in your head.
And, drawing is a way for you to express yourself clearly without words. If you’re a fan of the arts, you’ll be a fan of these drawing quotes.
Also check out these creativity quotes about expressing your real self.
Inspirational Drawing Quotes
1. “It is only by drawing often, drawing everything, drawing incessantly, that one fine day you discover, to your surprise, that you have rendered something in its true character.”- Camille Pissarro
2. “In drawing, nothing is better than the first attempt.”- Pablo Picasso
3. “If you can draw well, tracing won’t hurt; and if you can’t draw well, tracing won’t help.” – Bradley Schmehl
4. “We all have 10,000 bad drawings in us. The sooner we get them out the better.” – Walt Stanchfield
5. “Drawing makes you see things clearer, and clearer, and clearer still. The image is passing through you in a physiological way, into your brain, into your memory – where it stays – it’s transmitted by your hands.” – Martin Gayford
6. “Learning to draw is really a matter of learning to see – to see correctly – and that means a good deal more than merely looking with the eye.” – Kimon Nicolaides
7. “Drawing takes time. A line has time in it.” – David Hockney
8. “It is only by drawing often, drawing everything, drawing incessantly, that one fine day you discover, to your surprise, that you have rendered something in its true character.” – Camille Pissarro
9. “Drawing includes three and a half quarters of the content of painting…Drawing contains everything, except the hue.” – Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres
10. “I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen, and that when I start drawing an ordinary thing, I realize how extraordinary it is, sheer miracle.” – Frederick Franck
11. “To learn to draw is to draw and draw and draw.” – Andrew Loomis
12. “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” – Pablo Picasso
13. “Keep a bad drawing until by study you have found out why it is bad.”- Robert Henri
Drawing quotes on why people love drawing
14. “Drawing is the artist’s most direct and spontaneous expression. A species of writing: it reveals, better than does painting, his true personality.” – Edgar Degas
15. “Drawing is a frame of mind, a loving embrace if you will.” – Susan Avishai
16. “Drawing is like the first kiss. It carries within it the deepest emotion and the challenge of the first step. It is the first cry after birth.” – Ala Bashir
17. “Sketching is almost everything. It is the painter’s identity, his style, his conviction, and then color is just a gift to the drawing.” – Fernando Botero
18. “Photography is an immediate reaction, drawing is a meditation.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson
19. “Drawing is an exercise for a restless imagination.” – Tim Burton
20. “I love the quality of pencil. It helps me to get to the core of a thing.”-Andrew Wyeth
21. “Drawing is still basically the same as it has been since prehistoric times. It brings together man and the world. It lives through magic.” – Keith Haring
22. “I sometimes think there is nothing so delightful as drawing.” – Vincent Van Gogh
23. “What do drawings mean to me? I really don’t know. The activity absorbs me. I forget everything else in a way that I don’t think happens with any other activity.” – John Berger
Also check out these library quotes and sayings that will make you want to sit down with a good book.
Drawing quotes about learning to draw
24. “Never become an artist if you can’t learn to draw.” – Sergei Bongart
25. “All artists are willing to suffer for their work. But why are so few prepared to learn to draw?” – Banksy
26. “In drawing, one must look for or suspect that there is more than is casually seen.” – George Bridgman
27. “Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.” – Pablo Picasso
28. “Drawing is rather like playing chess: your mind races ahead of the moves that you eventually make.” – David Hockney
29. “The important thing is to keep on drawing when you start to paint. Never graduate from drawing.” – John Sloan
30. “An artist must have his measuring tools not in the hand, but in the eye.” – Michelangelo Buonarroti
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of eyes quotes about the power of sight.
31. “It took me a few seconds to draw it, but it took me 34 years to learn to draw it in a few seconds.” – Paula Scher
32. “You can’t do sketches enough. Sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh.” – John Singer Sargent
33. “Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.” – Uknown
34. “To create one’s world in any of the arts takes courage.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
35. “Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint.” – Arshile Gorky
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of painting quotes about the power of creating with color.
Drawing quotes from artists
36. “Art begins with resistance – at the point where resistance is overcome. No human masterpiece has ever been created without great labor.” – Andre Gide
37. “All the visible world is only light on form.” – Andrew Loomis
38. “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” – Scott Adams
39. “The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.” – Emile Zola
40. “If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.” – Anais Nin
41. “I draw like other people bite their nails.” – Pablo Picasso
42. “An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one.” – Charles Horton Cooley
43. “Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad.” – Salvador Dali
Also check out these inspirational yellow quotes for a happy aesthetic.
More of the best drawing quotes
44. “Every artist was first an amateur.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
45. “Drawing is not what one sees but what one can make others see.” – Edgar Degas
46. “This world is but a canvas to our imagination.” – Henry David Thoreau
47. “Originality depends only on the character of the drawing and the vision peculiar to each artist.” – Georges Seurat
48. “At its essence, art is an alchemical process. Alchemy is a process of transformation.” – Julia Cameron
49. “One must always draw, draw with the eyes, when one cannot draw with a pencil.” – Balthus
50. “Drawing used to be a civilized thing to do, like reading and writing. It was taught in elementary schools. It was democratic. It was a boon to happiness.” – Michael Kimmelman
Don’t forget to also read these powerful training quotes to inspire you towards personal development.
Did you enjoy these drawing quotes and sayings?
If you’ve never tried your hand at drawing, it’s something that you should explore. It’s a great way to tap into your creativity and express yourself.
If you’re not a great artist at the moment, that’s OK. Drawing is a skill and hobby that you can study and perfect over time.
And, as many of the quotes indicated above, once you fall in love with the arts, it’s something that will never leave you.
You’ll want to spend your time on it and even when you can’t be drawing, you can capture it in your mind to draw at a later time.
Did you enjoy these drawing quotes and sayings? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 25, 2020 7:11 AM EST