Drawing Quotes to Speak to the Artist in You
February 27, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Whether you need a little creativity or feel it bubbling up inside, you’ll love these drawing quotes.
Let us know your favorite drawing quote in the comment section below!
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a study published in the Journal of Positive Psychology, making art can decrease stress and increase feelings of relaxation and fulfillment.
Check out our collection of drawing quotes to help you tap into that creative flow and find your happy place.
What are the benefits of reading these drawing quotes?
Too many people in society think that loving and pursuing art means that you need to be a starving artist.
But that’s not true.
Art is a hobby well worth your time pursuing, and drawing is a skill that people have admired all throughout history.
Drawing is a way:
- You can save your memories for years to come
- To show the world what you see in your head
- For you to express yourself clearly without words
- To relieve stress
If you’re a fan of the arts, you’ll be a fan of these drawing quotes.
Also, check out these creativity quotes about expressing your real self.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Inspirational Drawing Quotes
A study published in the Journal of Positive Psychology revealed that engaging in creative activities, such as drawing, can increase feelings of well-being and reduce stress levels.
This underscores the therapeutic benefits of drawing and other forms of art.
1. “Drawing takes time. A line has time in it.” – David Hockney
You will also enjoy our article on Leonardo Da Vinci quotes.
2. “In drawing, nothing is better than the first attempt.”- Pablo Picasso
You will also enjoy our article on Frida Kahlo quotes.
3. “If you can draw well, tracing won’t hurt; and if you can’t draw well, tracing won’t help.” – Bradley Schmehl
You will also enjoy our article on design quotes.
4. “We all have 10,000 bad drawings in us. The sooner we get them out the better.” – Walt Stanchfield
You will also enjoy our article on Banksy quotes.
5. “To learn to draw is to draw and draw and draw.” – Andrew Loomis
You will also enjoy our article on Bob Ross quotes.
6. “All the visible world is only light on form.” – Andrew Loomis
You will also enjoy our article on Vincent Van Gogh quotes.
7. “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” – Scott Adams
You will also enjoy our article on Imagination quotes.
8. “The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.” – Emile Zola
You will also enjoy our article on Tattoo quotes.
9. “Drawing is the root of everything.” – Vincent Van Gogh
You will also enjoy our article on Salvador Dali quotes.
10. “I draw like other people bite their nails.” – Pablo Picasso
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of typography quotes for designers and artists.
Drawing quotes on why people love doing it
A study by the University of Westminster discovered that viewing art can activate the same brain regions involved in the experience of romantic love.
This emphasizes the emotional connection and response that art can elicit in individuals.
11. “An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one.” – Charles Horton Cooley
You will also enjoy our article on acting quotes.
12. “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” – Pablo Picasso
You will also enjoy our article on water quotes.
13. “Keep a bad drawing until by study you have found out why it is bad.”- Robert Henri
You will also enjoy our article on creative hobbies.
14. “Drawing is a frame of mind, a loving embrace if you will.” – Susan Avishai
You will also enjoy our article on pictures quotes.
15. “Every artist was first an amateur.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on appreciation quotes.
16. “Drawing is not what one sees but what one can make others see.” – Edgar Degas
17. “This world is but a canvas to our imagination.” – Henry David Thoreau
18. “Photography is an immediate reaction, drawing is a meditation.” – Henri Cartier-Bresson
19. “Drawing is an exercise for a restless imagination.” – Tim Burton
20. “I love the quality of pencil. It helps me to get to the core of a thing.” – Andrew Wyeth
Also, check out these library quotes and sayings that will make you want to sit down with a good book.
Drawing quotes about learning to draw
21. “I’m not just drawing clothes, I’m drawing dreams.” – Marta Madison
22. “Drawing is a science, painting is just something for the long winter evenings.” – Quentin Crisp
23. “Drawing isn’t an artistic process; drawing is a thinking process.” – Dan Roam
24. “I sometimes think there is nothing so delightful as drawing.” – Vincent Van Gogh
25. “Never become an artist if you can’t learn to draw.” – Sergei Bongart
26. “All artists are willing to suffer for their work. But why are so few prepared to learn to draw?” – Banksy
27. “In drawing, one must look for or suspect that there is more than is casually seen.” – George Bridgman
28. “Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.” – Pablo Picasso
29. “The important thing is to keep on drawing when you start to paint. Never graduate from drawing.” – John Sloan
30. “An artist must have his measuring tools not in the hand, but in the eye.” – Michelangelo Buonarroti
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of eyes quotes about the power of sight.
Drawing quotes from artists
31. “It took me a few seconds to draw it, but it took me 34 years to learn to draw it in a few seconds.” – Paula Scher
32. “You can’t do sketches enough. Sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh.” – John Singer Sargent
33. “Begin by learning to draw and paint like the old masters. After that, you can do as you like; everyone will respect you.” – Uknown
34. “To create one’s world in any of the arts takes courage.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
35. “Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint.” – Arshile Gorky
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of painting quotes about the power of creating with color.
36. “Art begins with resistance – at the point where resistance is overcome. No human masterpiece has ever been created without great labor.” – Andre Gide
37. “Learning to draw is really a matter of learning to see – to see correctly – and that means a good deal more than merely looking with the eye.” – Kimon Nicolaides
38. “It is only by drawing often, drawing everything, drawing incessantly, that one fine day you discover, to your surprise, that you have rendered something in its true character.”- Camille Pissarro
39. “It is only by drawing often, drawing everything, drawing incessantly, that one fine day you discover, to your surprise, that you have rendered something in its true character.” – Camille Pissarro
40. “Drawing includes three and a half quarters of the content of painting…Drawing contains everything, except the hue.” – Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres
41. “I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen, and that when I start drawing an ordinary thing, I realize how extraordinary it is, sheer miracle.” – Frederick Franck
42. “Drawing makes you see things clearer, and clearer, and clearer still. The image is passing through you in a physiological way, into your brain, into your memory – where it stays – it’s transmitted by your hands.” – Martin Gayford
43. “Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad.” – Salvador Dali
Also, check out these inspirational yellow quotes for a happy aesthetic.
More of the best drawing quotes
44. “Drawing is the artist’s most direct and spontaneous expression. A species of writing: it reveals, better than does painting, his true personality.” – Edgar Degas
45. “Drawing is like the first kiss. It carries within it the deepest emotion and the challenge of the first step. It is the first cry after birth.” – Ala Bashir
46. “Sketching is almost everything. It is the painter’s identity, his style, his conviction, and then color is just a gift to the drawing.” – Fernando Botero
47. “Originality depends only on the character of the drawing and the vision peculiar to each artist.” – Georges Seurat
48. “At its essence, art is an alchemical process. Alchemy is a process of transformation.” – Julia Cameron
49. “One must always draw, draw with the eyes, when one cannot draw with a pencil.” – Balthus
50. “Drawing used to be a civilized thing to do, like reading and writing. It was taught in elementary schools. It was democratic. It was a boon to happiness.” – Michael Kimmelman
Drawing quotes that soothe the soul
51. “I wish I could draw you how I see you. I’d draw a boy with the most magnetic smile, and the kindest hands, and eyes that are gloomy but can sometimes be bright.” – Jasmine Warga
52. “I cannot rest, I must draw, however poor the result, and when I have a bad time come over me it is a stronger desire than ever.” – Beatrix Potter
53. “I keep drawing the trees, the rocks, the river, I’m still learning how to see them; I’m still discovering how to render their forms. I will spend a lifetime doing that. Maybe someday I’ll get it right.” – Alan Lee
54. “It was amazing what an hour with her sketchpad could do for her mood. She was sure that the lines she drew with her black marker were going to save her years of worry lines in the future.” – Victoria Kahler
55.“After a time, my hand had become as skilled as my eyes. So if I was drawing a very fine tree, it felt as if my hand was moving without me directing it.” – Orhan Pamuk
56. “Drawing is the art of being able to leave an accurate record of the experience of what one isn’t, of what one doesn’t know. A great drawer is either confirming beautifully what is commonplace or probing authoritatively the unknown.” – Brett Whiteley
57. “Drawing is still basically the same as it has been since prehistoric times. It brings together man and the world. It lives through magic.” – Keith Haring
58. “What do drawings mean to me? I really don’t know. The activity absorbs me. I forget everything else in a way that I don’t think happens with any other activity.” – John Berger
59. “Drawing is rather like playing chess: your mind races ahead of the moves that you eventually make.” – David Hockney
60. “Drawing is an illustration of the soul. The better you draw, the stronger your soul gets.” – PS Tavishi
Don’t forget to also read these powerful training quotes to inspire you towards personal development.
Drawing quotes on how art mimics life
61. “A drawing is simply a line going for a walk.” – Paul Klee
62. “Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.” – John W. Gardner
63. “If I try to articulate every little detail in a drawing, it would be like missing the forest for the trees, so it’s just about getting the outline of the forest. – Jeff Koons
64. “Drawing is the only thing I’ve found in which I can lose myself completely. I love it. It started as something that relaxed me, but now it’s a struggle because I’m pushing myself. The day-to-day sketching is fraught.” – Peter Capaldi
65. “In spite of everything I shall rise again: I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing.” – Vincent Van Gogh
66. “I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster and leaves less room for lies.” – Le Corbusier
67. “Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere.” – Gilbert K. Chesterton
68. “While drawing, I discover what I really want to say.” – Dario Fo
69. “My idea of Heaven is to wake up, have a good breakfast, and spend the rest of the day drawing.” – Peter Falk
70. “Drawing is not following a line on the model, it is drawing your sense of the thing.” – Robert Henri
Drawing quotes on what sets great artists from the rest of the crowd
71. “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” – Albert Einstein
72. “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.” – Charles Bukowski
73. “Sketching is almost everything. It is the painter’s identity, his style, his conviction, and then color is just a gift to the drawing.” – Fernando Botero
74. “Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter.” – Oscar Wild
75. “To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts – such is the duty of the artist.” – Robert Schumann
76. “A work of art is a world in itself reflecting senses and emotions of the artist’s world.” – Hans Hofmann
77. “Drawing a good picture is like telling a really good lie – the key is in the incidental detail.” – Shaun Tan
78. “Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.” – Leo Tolstoy
79. “An artist must be free to choose what he does, certainly, but he must also never be afraid to do what he might choose.” – Langston Hughes
80. “Lose your inhibitions about drawing and just do it.” – Chris Riddell
Drawing Quotes To Help You Bring Out Ideas
81. “A good drawing has immense vitality because it is explanatory. In a good drawing even its faults have become virtues.” ― John French Sloan
82. “Drawing … is an innocent & engaging amusement, often useful, and a qualification not to be neglected in one who is to become a mother & an instructor.” ― Thomas Jefferson
83. “When I’m drawing a picture, I feel…quiet inside.” ― Katherine Applegate
84. “Doing fashion drawings was the only way I had to express myself when I was a teenager.” ― Jean Paul Gaultier
85. “I usually use quick sketches that I accumulated from the figure drawing classes I once instructed.” ― Frank Bruno
86. “Even when you paint, you never stop drawing.” ― Igor Babailov
87. “My drawings inspire, and are not to be defined. They place us, as does music, in the ambiguous realm of the undetermined.” ― Odilon Redon
88. “I draw all the time. Drawing is my backbone. I don’t think a painter has to be able to draw, I just think that if you draw, you better draw well.” ― LeRoy Neiman
89. “A drawing has never killed anyone.” ― Charb
90. “I find drawing a useful outlet for ideas for which there is not time enough to realize as sculpture… And I sometimes draw just for its own enjoyment.” ― Henry Moore
Drawing Quotes To Help You Focus
91. “Drawing must seek for interest, not for admiration. Because admiration wears quickly.” — John Howe
92. “It is not bright colors but good drawing that makes figures beautiful.” — Titian
93. “Drawing is the most inalienable medium. It is private; it practically doesn’t have an audience in mind, just the artist’s expression.” — Betty Goodwin
94. “For me, drawing is everything, because it informs everything. It even informs my poetry. It’s the way I begin everything.” — Jim Dine
95. “Drawing is a way for me to articulate things inside myself that I can’t otherwise grasp.” — Robert Crumb
96. “I still come closest to success with drawing.” — Paul Klee
97. “I have drawn all my life, I don’t know how to live without drawing.” — Eduardo Chillida
98. “You will never draw the sense of a thing unless you are feeling it at the time you work.” — Robert Henri
99. “If we master a bit of drawing, everything else is possible.” — Alberto Giacometti
100. “Color, even more than drawing, is a means of liberation.” — Henri Matisse
Drawing Quotes by Master Artists
101. “Realize that a drawing is not a copy. It is a construction in very different materials. A drawing is an invention.” ― Robert Henri
102. “Drawing is based upon perspective, which is nothing else than a thorough knowledge of the function of the eye.” ― Leonardo da Vinci
103. “The painter draws with his eyes, not with his hands.” ― Maurice Grosser
104. “Do not fail, as you go on, to draw something every day, for no matter how little it is, it will be well worthwhile, and it will do you a world of good.” ― Cennino Cennini
105. “Drawing is feeling. Color is an act of reason.” ― Pierre Bonnard
106. “To know what you’re going to draw, you have to begin drawing.” ― Pablo Picasso
107. “The essence of drawing is the line exploring space.” ― Andy Goldsworthy
108. “Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.” ― Leonardo da Vinci
109. “Drawing is like making an expressive gesture with the advantage of permanence.” ― Henri Matisse
110. “Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.” ― Samuel Butler
Did you enjoy these drawing quotes and sayings?
If you’ve never tried your hand at drawing, it’s something that you should explore.
It’s a great way to tap into your creativity and express yourself.
If you’re not a great artist at the moment, that’s OK.
Drawing is a skill and hobby you can study and perfect over time.
And, as many of the quotes indicated above, once you fall in love with the arts, it’s something that will never leave you.
You’ll want to spend your time on it, and even when you can’t be drawing, you can capture it in your mind to draw at a later time.
Did you enjoy these drawing quotes and sayings?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
November 13, 2021 at 8:21 AM
Read about the best Sketch artist in Delhi