As you’ll see in these December quotes, there is something about the last month of the year that brings out the reflective side in people.
While it seems that December can be overlooked because of the Christmas season, there’s a lot to be appreciated about the month.
While many people jump to say that Spring, Summer, or Fall are their favorite months, the quiet reflectiveness of December is something to be enjoyed just as much as the bountiful colors of the Spring.
These December quotes will help show you all the other things to appreciate about the month.
Don’t forget to also check out these happy holidays quotes that celebrate family and love.
Inspirational December quotes and sayings
1. “The color of springtime is in the flowers; the color of winter is in the imagination.” – Terri Guillemets
2. “To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” – Aristotle
3. “This looks like a December day, it looks like we’ve come to the end of the way.” – Willie Nelson
4. “It seems like everything sleeps in winter, but it’s really a time of renewal and reflection.” – Elizabeth Camden
5. “In the winter she curls up around a good book and dreams away the cold.” – Ben Aaronovitch
6. “Chill December brings the sleet, Blazing fire, and Christmas treat.” – Sara Coleridge
7. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
8. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” – John Steinbeck
9. “God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.” – James M. Barrie
December quotes on why we love the month
10. “There’s something super special about December.” – Charmaine J. Forde
11. “When I was a child, my December weekends were spent making cards, decorating the tree, hanging the wreath, and preparing brandy butter and peppermint creams.” – Pippa Middleton
12. “Of all the months of the year there is not a month one half so welcome to the young, or so full of happy associations, as the last month of the year.” – Charles Dickens
13. “I heard a bird sing in the dark of December. A magical thing. And sweet to remember. We are nearer to Spring than we were in September. I heard a big sing in the dark of December.” – Oliver Herford
14. “Shout now! The months with loud acclaim, Take up the cry and send it forth; May breathing sweet her Spring perfumes, November thundering from the North. With hands upraised, as with one voice, They join their notes in grand accord; Hail to December! Say they all, It gave to Earth our Christ the Lord!” – J.K. Hoyt
15. “May and October, the best-smelling months? I’ll make a case for December; evergreen, frost, wood smoke, cinnamon.” – Lisa Kleypas
16. “Yet my heart loves December’s smile as much as July’s golden beam; then let us sit and watch the while the blue ice curdling on the stream.” – Emily Jane Bronte
17. “I love the food and drinks in December. I don’t love to eat so much that I get nauseous. I just love to eat little things and enough.” – seaofwordsx
18. “I prefer winter and fall when you feel the bone structure of the landscape – the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it; the whole story doesn’t show.” – Andrew Wyeth
19. “At Christmas I no more desire a rose Than wish a snow in May’s new-fangled mirth; But like of each thing that in season grows.” – William Shakespeare
Descriptive December Quotes
20. “By December an elastic skin of ice reached out hundreds of miles into the sea, rolling with every wave.” – Will Chancellor
21. “The sun that brief December day Rose cheerless over hills gray, And, darkly circled, gave at noon A sadder light than waning moon.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
22. “Through the small tall bathroom window the December yard is gray and scratchy, the trees calligraphic.” – Dave Eggers
23. “From December to March, there are for many of us three gardens – the garden outdoors, the garden of pots and bowls in the house, and the garden of the mind’s eye.” – Katherine S. White
24. “The crisp path through the field in this December snow, in the deep dark, where we trod the buried grass like ghosts on dry toast.” – Dylan Thomas
25. “December’s wintery breath is already clouding the pond, frosting the pane, obscuring summer’s memory.” – John Geddes
26. “My brothers and sisters, true love is a reflection of the Savior’s love. In December of each year, we call it the Christmas spirit. You can hear it. You can see it. You can feel it.” – Thomas S. Monson
27. “December drops no weak, relenting tear, By our fond Summer sympathies ensnared. Nor from the perfect circle of the year Can even Winter’s crystal gems be spared.” – Christopher Pearce Cranch
28. “In a drear-nighted December, Too happy, happy brook, Thy bubblings ne’er remember Apollo’s summer look; But with a sweet forgetting, They stay their crystal fretting, Never, never petting About the frozen time.” – John Keats
29. “A bare tree stands with roots on both ends in December days.” – Kiran Bantawa
30. “December. A desperate celebration of an end.” – Chandrama Deshmukh
December quotes about the cold and snow
31. “December, being the last month of the year, cannot help but make us think of what is to come.” – Fennel Hudson
32. “In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan, earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone; snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow, in the bleak midwinter, long ago.” – Christina Rossetti
33. “As we struggle with shopping lists and invitations, compounded by December’s bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, and people to whom we are worth the same.” – Donald E. Westlake
34. “In cold December fragrant chaplets blow, and heavy harvests nod beneath the snow.” – Alexander Pope
35. “Michigan isn’t just cold in December; it’s arctic.” – Daniel Milstein
36. “Outside the house, it was storming, a busy downfall of flakes that the wind blew lightly across acres of old snow left from December.” – Gladys Hasty Carroll
Motivational December quotes
37. “There is October in every November and there is November in every December! All seasons melted in each other’s life!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
38. “In this world only winter is certain.” – George R.R. Martin
39. “If we make it through December, everything’s gonna be all right; it’s the coldest time of winter and I shiver when I see the falling snow.” – Merle Haggard
40. “Will love be true as December frost, or fickle and fall like the rose in June?” – Clement Scott
41. “I know. I’m lazy. But I made myself a New Years’ resolution that I would write myself something really special. Which means I have ‘til December, right?” – Catherine O’Hara
42. “I miss being in Barbados in December. That is the time I always remember. The smell of varnish on the wooden floors. And the smell of paint on the wooden doors. The crowds in de Supermarket buying up the rum, and the music blasting. Puh rup a pum pum.” – Charmaine J Forde
43. “It is December, and nobody asked if I was ready.” – Sarah Kay
44. “If cold December gave you birth, The month of snow and ice and mirth, Place on your hand a Turquoise blue, Success will bless whatever you do.” – Unknown
45. “Men are April when they woo, December when they wed. Maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives.” – William Shakespeare
46. “Remember this December, That love weighs more than gold!” – Josephine Dodge Daskam Bacon
47. “And last December drear, with piteous low-drooped head. In a voice of desolation crying out, ‘The year is dead. And so, with changeful gear, with smile or frown or song, the months, in strange variation, are ever gliding along.” – Edgar Fawcett
48. “December is the toughest month of the year. Others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, October, August, and February.” – Mark Twain
49. “No matter what my fortune may be, or where I may roam, in December, I’ll be going home.” – Floyd Huddleston
50. “December is the holdout month, all the others torn away.” – Anne Gisleson
December Quotes To Set The Holiday Mood
51. “That’s the thing about December: it goes by you in a flash. If you just close your eyes, it’s gone. And it’s like you were never there.” — Donal Ryan
52. “True love is a reflection of the Savior’s love. In December of each year we call it the Christmas Spirit.” — Thomas S. Monson
53. “A manager’s job is simple. For one hundred sixty-two games you try not to screw up all that smart stuff your organization did last December.” — Earl Weaver
54. “Christmas seems to start earlier and earlier every year. Like, this time, it’s on December 25th.” — Emo Philips
55. “The December – January period is the strongest time of the year. It is an easy time to shift states of mind.” — Frederick Lenz
56. “You want to be playing your best in December and hopefully it’ll carry over into January.” — Philip Rivers
57. “A long December and there’s reason to believe, maybe this year will be better than the last.” — Adam Duritz
58. “In December people give no thought to the Past or the Future. They thing only of the Present.” — Carolyn Wells
59. “November, I’ll give thanks that you belong to me. December, you’re the present beneath my Christmas tree.” — Neil Sedaka
60. “In December ring Every day the chimes; Loud the gleemen sing In the streets their merry rhymes. Let us by the fire Ever higher Sing them till the night expire!” — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
What did you learn from these December quotes?
As these December quotes show, the month can be beautifully described by writers.
Some put the spin on it of family and closeness while others take a different approach of stillness and reflection.
Some are able to enjoy the crisp air and falling snow while others focus more on the sense of endings and new beginnings that the month brings for us as well.
If December is your favorite month, these quotes can help you hold onto it all year long.
If it’s never been a month that you enjoy, maybe these December quotes and sayings can help you gain a new appreciation for it.
September 26, 2022 5:00 AM EST