December Quotes that are Good All Year Long
April 9, 2023 5:00 AM EST
As you’ll see in these December quotes, something about the last month of the year brings out the reflective side in people.
While we can overlook December because of the Christmas season, there’s a lot to be appreciated about the month.
Share your favorite December quote with us in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy reading our articles on:
Researchers from the University of Southampton found that spending time with friends and family can positively impact mental health and well-being.
December is a time to appreciate the many social connections in our lives, from holiday parties to family gatherings in order to cultivate a sense of belonging and support.
What are the benefits of reading these December quotes?
While many people jump to say that Spring, Summer, or Fall are their favorite months, the quiet reflectiveness of December is something to be enjoyed just as much as the bountiful colors of Spring.
These December quotes will help show you all the other things to appreciate about the month.
December is a month that is associated with:
- the beginning of winter
- the holiday season
- a variety of astrological events
Don’t forget to check out these happy holiday quotes that celebrate family and love.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Inspirational December quotes and sayings
According to a study conducted by the American Psychological Association, people tend to reflect more on their past experiences and evaluate their progress toward their goals towards the end of the year.
This suggests that December is a time for introspection and self-evaluation.
1. “The color of springtime is in the flowers; the color of winter is in the imagination.” – Terri Guillemets
You will also enjoy our article on new month quotes.
2. “To appreciate the beauty of a snowflake it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” – Aristotle
You will also enjoy our article on capricorn quotes.
3. “This looks like a December day, it looks like we’ve come to the end of the way.” – Willie Nelson
You will also enjoy our article on tulip quotes.
4. “It seems like everything sleeps in winter, but it’s really a time of renewal and reflection.” – Elizabeth Camden
You will also enjoy our article on revelation quotes.
5. “In the winter she curls up around a good book and dreams away the cold.” – Ben Aaronovitch
You will also enjoy our article on Election Day quotes.
6. “Chill December brings the sleet, Blazing fire, and Christmas treat.” – Sara Coleridge
You will also enjoy our article on green quotes.
7. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
You will also enjoy our article on moving away quotes.
8. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” – John Steinbeck
You will also enjoy our article on burnout quotes.
9. “God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.” – James M. Barrie
December quotes on why we love the month
A survey by the Pew Research Center found that many people view the end of the year as a time for reflection and goal-setting thus 40% of respondents reported making New Year’s resolutions.
This suggests that December may be a time for reflecting on the past year and planning for the future.
10. “There’s something super special about December.” – Charmaine J. Forde
You will also enjoy our article on April quotes.
11. “When I was a child, my December weekends were spent making cards, decorating the tree, hanging the wreath, and preparing brandy butter and peppermint creams.” – Pippa Middleton
You will also enjoy our article on baby shower quotes.
12. “Of all the months of the year there is not a month one half so welcome to the young, or so full of happy associations, as the last month of the year.” – Charles Dickens
You will also enjoy our article on Thursday quotes.
13. “I heard a bird sing in the dark of December. A magical thing. And sweet to remember. We are nearer to Spring than we were in September. I heard a big sing in the dark of December.” – Oliver Herford
You will also enjoy our article on snow quotes.
14. “Shout now! The months with loud acclaim, Take up the cry and send it forth; May breathing sweet her Spring perfumes, November thundering from the North. With hands upraised, as with one voice, They join their notes in grand accord; Hail to December! Say they all, It gave to Earth our Christ the Lord!” – J.K. Hoyt
15. “May and October, the best-smelling months? I’ll make a case for December; evergreen, frost, wood smoke, cinnamon.” – Lisa Kleypas
You will also enjoy our article on Bad Santa quotes.
16. “Yet my heart loves December’s smile as much as July’s golden beam; then let us sit and watch the while the blue ice curdling on the stream.” – Emily Jane Bronte
You will also enjoy our article on Christmas quotes.
17. “I love the food and drinks in December. I don’t love to eat so much that I get nauseous. I just love to eat little things and enough.” – seaofwordsx
18. “I prefer winter and fall when you feel the bone structure of the landscape – the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it; the whole story doesn’t show.” – Andrew Wyeth
19. “At Christmas I no more desire a rose Than wish a snow in May’s new-fangled mirth; But like of each thing that in season grows.” – William Shakespeare
Descriptive December Quotes
In a survey by the National Retail Federation, over 90% of Americans reported celebrating Christmas in some way, making it the most widely celebrated holiday in the country.
This statistic can be used to contextualize December quotes and emphasize the cultural significance of the holiday season.
20. “By December an elastic skin of ice reached out hundreds of miles into the sea, rolling with every wave.” – Will Chancellor
21. “The sun that brief December day Rose cheerless over hills gray, And, darkly circled, gave at noon A sadder light than waning moon.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
22. “Through the small tall bathroom window the December yard is gray and scratchy, the trees calligraphic.” – Dave Eggers
23. “From December to March, there are for many of us three gardens – the garden outdoors, the garden of pots and bowls in the house, and the garden of the mind’s eye.” – Katherine S. White
24. “The crisp path through the field in this December snow, in the deep dark, where we trod the buried grass like ghosts on dry toast.” – Dylan Thomas
25. “December’s wintery breath is already clouding the pond, frosting the pane, obscuring summer’s memory.” – John Geddes
26. “My brothers and sisters, true love is a reflection of the Savior’s love. In December of each year, we call it the Christmas spirit. You can hear it. You can see it. You can feel it.” – Thomas S. Monson
27. “December drops no weak, relenting tear, By our fond Summer sympathies ensnared. Nor from the perfect circle of the year Can even Winter’s crystal gems be spared.” – Christopher Pearce Cranch
28. “In a drear-nighted December, Too happy, happy brook, Thy bubblings ne’er remember Apollo’s summer look; But with a sweet forgetting, They stay their crystal fretting, Never, never petting About the frozen time.” – John Keats
29. “A bare tree stands with roots on both ends in December days.” – Kiran Bantawa
30. “December. A desperate celebration of an end.” – Chandrama Deshmukh
December quotes about the cold and snow
According to a study by the Pew Research Center, the end of the year is a popular time for reflection and goal-setting, with over 70% of Americans reporting that they set resolutions or goals for the upcoming year.
This statistic can be used to encourage readers to take time to reflect on the past year and set meaningful goals for the future.
31. “December, being the last month of the year, cannot help but make us think of what is to come.” – Fennel Hudson
32. “In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan, earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone; snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow, in the bleak midwinter, long ago.” – Christina Rossetti
33. “As we struggle with shopping lists and invitations, compounded by December’s bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, and people to whom we are worth the same.” – Donald E. Westlake
34. “In cold December fragrant chaplets blow, and heavy harvests nod beneath the snow.” – Alexander Pope
35. “Michigan isn’t just cold in December; it’s arctic.” – Daniel Milstein
36. “Outside the house, it was storming, a busy downfall of flakes that the wind blew lightly across acres of old snow left from December.” – Gladys Hasty Carroll
Motivational December quotes
A study by the American Psychological Association found that spending time with loved ones can lead to increased feelings of happiness and well-being, especially during the holiday season.
This statistic can be used to emphasize the importance of family and community during December, and to encourage readers to prioritize their relationships during this time.
37. “There is October in every November and there is November in every December! All seasons melted in each other’s life!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
38. “In this world only winter is certain.” – George R.R. Martin
39. “If we make it through December, everything’s gonna be all right; it’s the coldest time of winter and I shiver when I see the falling snow.” – Merle Haggard
40. “Will love be true as December frost, or fickle and fall like the rose in June?” – Clement Scott
41. “I know. I’m lazy. But I made myself a New Years’ resolution that I would write myself something really special. Which means I have ‘til December, right?” – Catherine O’Hara
42. “I miss being in Barbados in December. That is the time I always remember. The smell of varnish on the wooden floors. And the smell of paint on the wooden doors. The crowds in de Supermarket buying up the rum, and the music blasting. Puh rup a pum pum.” – Charmaine J Forde
43. “It is December, and nobody asked if I was ready.” – Sarah Kay
44. “If cold December gave you birth, The month of snow and ice and mirth, Place on your hand a Turquoise blue, Success will bless whatever you do.” – Unknown
45. “Men are April when they woo, December when they wed. Maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives.” – William Shakespeare
46. “Remember this December, That love weighs more than gold!” – Josephine Dodge Daskam Bacon
47. “And last December drear, with piteous low-drooped head. In a voice of desolation crying out, ‘The year is dead. And so, with changeful gear, with smile or frown or song, the months, in strange variation, are ever gliding along.” – Edgar Fawcett
48. “December is the toughest month of the year. Others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, October, August, and February.” – Mark Twain
49. “No matter what my fortune may be, or where I may roam, in December, I’ll be going home.” – Floyd Huddleston
50. “December is the holdout month, all the others torn away.” – Anne Gisleson
December Quotes To Set The Holiday Mood
In a survey conducted by the National Retail Federation, it was found that the average American spent $998 on holiday gifts, decorations, and food in 2021.
This statistic can be used to highlight the importance and excitement of the holiday season, which is reflected in people’s willingness to spend a significant amount of money during this time.
51. “That’s the thing about December: it goes by you in a flash. If you just close your eyes, it’s gone. And it’s like you were never there.” — Donal Ryan
52. “True love is a reflection of the Savior’s love. In December of each year we call it the Christmas Spirit.” — Thomas S. Monson
53. “A manager’s job is simple. For one hundred sixty-two games you try not to screw up all that smart stuff your organization did last December.” — Earl Weaver
54. “Christmas seems to start earlier and earlier every year. Like, this time, it’s on December 25th.” — Emo Philips
55. “The December – January period is the strongest time of the year. It is an easy time to shift states of mind.” — Frederick Lenz
56. “You want to be playing your best in December and hopefully it’ll carry over into January.” — Philip Rivers
57. “A long December and there’s reason to believe, maybe this year will be better than the last.” — Adam Duritz
58. “In December people give no thought to the Past or the Future. They thing only of the Present.” — Carolyn Wells
59. “November, I’ll give thanks that you belong to me. December, you’re the present beneath my Christmas tree.” — Neil Sedaka
60. “In December ring Every day the chimes; Loud the gleemen sing In the streets their merry rhymes. Let us by the fire Ever higher Sing them till the night expire!” — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Funny December quotes about Christmas
According to a study by the American Psychological Association, practicing gratitude during the holiday season can have a positive impact on mental health.
This statistic can be used to encourage readers to focus on the positive aspects of the holiday season and to appreciate the people and things they have in their lives.
61. “Christmas is a baby shower that went totally overboard.” – Andy Borowitz
62. “What I like about Christmas is that you can make people forget the past with the present.” – Don Marquis
63. “Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.” – Victor Borge
64. “That’s the true spirit of Christmas; people being helped by people other than me.” – Jerry Seinfeld
65. “My husband’s idea of getting the Christmas spirit is to become Scrooge.” – Melanie White
66. ”Let’s be naughty and save Santa the trip.” — Gary Allan
67. “I get a little behind during Lent, but it comes out even at Christmas.” – Frank Butler
68. “Christmas is a box of tree ornaments that have become part of the family.”— Charles M. Schulz
69. “This holiday season, no matter what your religion is, please take a moment to reflect on why it’s better than all the other ones.” – Guy Endore Kaiser
70. “A lovely thing about Christmas is that it’s compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.” – Garrison Keillor
December Quotes for a Fun Christmas Holiday
In a survey conducted by YouGov, it was found that 54% of Americans report feeling stressed during the holiday season.
This statistic can be used to highlight the potential negative impact of the holiday season on mental health and to encourage readers to practice self-care during this time.
71. “Christmas is a poor excuse every 25th of December to pick a man’s pockets.” — Charles Dickens
72. “Christmas begins about the first of December with an office party and ends when you finally realize what you spent, around April fifteenth of the next year.” — P. J. O’Rourke
73. “The midsummer sun shines but dim, The fields strive in vain to look gay; But when I am happy in Him December’s as pleasant as May.” — John Newton
74. “Snow falling softly on lashes of eyes you love, and a cold cheek growing warm next to your own in hushed dark familial December.” — James Schuyler
75. “In the suburbs, it’s hard to buy your Christmas gifts early in the year. You never know who your friends will be in December.” — Milton Berle
76. “My daughter is almost a young lady. She’s going to be 10 years old in December and I want to be there day in and day out.” — Gloria Estefan
77. “One thing I learned from drinking is that if you ever go Christmas caroling, you should go with a group of people. And also go in mid-December.” — Louis C. K.
78. “I spent the year behind on deadlines and everything else. It’s only now in December that I feel even slightly caught up. 2016 has to be better.” — Justine Larbalestier
79. “I remember, I remember how my childhood fleeted by. The mirth of its December, and the warmth of its July.” — Winthrop Mackworth Praed
80. “I shave my legs twice a week. It’s hard the first time you do it. But I’m very lazy. For a team photo in December, I just did the fronts.” — David Millar
December Quotes To Encourage You To Appreciate The Month
81. “Each year of your life is a wonderful ride, with the most hopeful time being when December turns the keys over to January.” — Efiosiugbore Adebayo
82. “December has the clarity, the simplicity, and the silence you need for the best fresh start of your life.” — Vivian Swift
83. “Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.” — Hamilton Wright Mabie
84. “Year’s end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.” — Hal Borland
85. “Who is not a love seeker when December comes? Even children pray to Santa Claus.” — Rod McKuen
86. “Snow falling in the middle of a December night will always fill my heart with sweet clarity.” — Novala Takemoto
87. “December is a month that is rife with nostalgia. If there’s anything deep in your heart that you want to keep buried, you can count on December to bring it to the surface” — Lois Duncan
88. “Good morning, happy first day of December. Keep looking up. That’s the secret of life.” — Snoopy
89. “December is not a season, it is a celebration.” — Anamika Mishra
90. “December’s immaculate coldness feels warm. December feels like blood.” — Zinaida Gippius
Reflective December Quotes on The Last Month of The Year
91. “I love December, because it’s the only month when you can sit in front of a dead tree and eat candy out of socks.” ― John Waters
92. “December is a month of enormous potential. It’s a time when we can all give and receive, a time when the spirit of humanity shines brightest.” ― Michael Josephson
93. “December is the perfect month to think of others and to remember that, in the end, it’s not how many presents we gave or received but how much love we shared that counts.” ― Dan Zadra
94. “December is a magical time of the year, with all the Christmas lights and the snow. It’s like a fairytale.” ― Brittany Murphy
95. “December is the time to remember that no snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.” ― Zen Shin
96. “December is a season not only of rejoicing but of reflection.” ― Winston Churchill
97. “The December wind is gusty and cold, and the trees are stripped of their foliage, but the sun is bright and the sky is blue. It’s a great time for a walk outside to enjoy the beauty of nature.” ― John Muir
98. “December is the time for remembering the past and reaching toward the future.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
99. “December is a time for family, for love and for forgiveness.” ― Caroline Myss
100. “In December, as in no other month in the year, we are brought the closest to the great fact that all life is a miracle.” ― Owen Feltham
December Quotes to Celebrate the Season of Change
101. “He’s wearing boots, a kilt, and a long-sleeve tee. No coat, even though it’s December. Beautiful people don’t need coats. They’ve got their auras to keep them warm.” ― Jennifer Donnelly
102. “Alcohol, I had learned, was an eloquent if somewhat inaccurate interpreter. I had placed my trust that December night in glass after glass of it, eager not for drink but for a bit of talk.” ― Monique Truong
103. “As soon seek roses in December, ice in June, Hope constancy in wind, or corn in chaff Believe a woman or an epitaph Or any other thing that’s false Before you trust in critics.” ― Lord Byron
104. “Be patient with your boaters and let them rant. Most of them will get over it come December.” ― Matt Goldman
105. “Actually, my ideal life would be to have an evergreen tree farm and, every December, I’d load them up and just stand out on the street and sell Christmas trees.” ― Willis Earl Beal
106. “Through the chill of December the early winter moans… but it’s that January wind that rattles old bones.” ― John Facenda
107. “I go back to December, turn around and make it alright I go back to December, turn around and change my own mind I go back to December all the time.” ― Taylor Swift
108. “beautiful December grapes, blue as plums, every grape a little skinful of sweet, tasteless water.” ― Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
109. “December is a month of invitation to forget ourselves in the service of others.” ― Robert Louis Stevenson
110. “December is a time to reflect on the blessings of the past year and to embrace the opportunities of the coming one.” ― Oprah Winfrey
What did you learn from these December quotes?
As these December quotes show, writers can describe the month beautifully.
Some put the spin on it of family and closeness, while others take a different approach to stillness and reflection.
Some can enjoy the crisp air and falling snow, while others focus more on the sense of endings and new beginnings that the month brings for us as well.
If December is your favorite month, these quotes can help you hold on to it all year long.
If it’s never been a month that you enjoy, maybe these December quotes and sayings can help you gain a new appreciation for it.