Our latest collection of Fannie Lou Hamer quotes that will inspire you to remain committed to all struggles you believe in.
Fannie Lou Hamer was an African-American civil rights activist who led voting drives and helped establish the National Women’s Political Caucus.
She was also the co-founder and vice-chair of the Freedom Democratic Party.
Hamer dedicated her life to the fight for civil rights and helped focus attention on the plight of black citizens throughout the South.
Born on October 6, 1917 in Montgomery County, Mississippi, Hamer grew up in poverty left school to work by age 12.
She got involved in the civil rights movement in the 1960s, a time when black voters were disenfranchised in the southern states.
During the course of her activist career, Hamer was threatened, harassed, arrested, assaulted, and shot at.
But none of these things ever stopped her from battling racism and poverty.
We could learn a lot from her example as we strive to overcome our own adversities.
Hamer died on March 14, 1977, leaving behind a legacy as tireless champion for racial equality.
In 1993, she was posthumously inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame.
In honor of what she did for our nation, below is our collection of inspirational, brave, and courageous Fannie Lou Hamer quotes, collected from various sources over the years.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Fannie Lou Hamer quotes expressing the power of voice
1. “If I fall, I’ll fall five feet four inches forward in the fight for freedom. I’m not backing off.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
2. “If the white man gives you anything – just remember when he gets ready he will take it right back. We have to take for ourselves.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
3. “One day, I know the struggle will change. There’s got to be a change – not only for Mississippi, not only for the people in the United States, but people all over the world.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
4. “There is one thing you have got to learn about our movement. Three people are better than no people.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
5. “Nobody’s free until everybody’s free.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about voting.
6. “People have got to get together and work together. I’m tired of the kind of oppression that white people have inflicted on us and are still trying to inflict.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
7. “You can pray until you faint, but unless you get up and try to do something, God is not going to put it in your lap.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
8. “When I liberate myself, I liberate others. If you don’t speak out ain’t nobody going to speak out for you.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
9. “Never to forget where we came from and always praise the bridges that carried us over.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
10. “We want a change in this society in America because you see, we can no longer ignore the facts.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
Fannie Lou Hamer quotes that will inspire you to stand for what you believe in
11. “We didn’t come all the way up here to compromise for no more than we’d gotten here. We didn’t come all this way for no two seats, ’cause all of us is tired.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
12. “This white man who is saying “it takes time.” For three hundred and more years they have had “time,” and now it is time for them to listen.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
13. “To support whatever is right, and to bring justice where we’ve had so much injustice.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
14. “If this is a great society, I’d hate to see a bad one.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
15. “It is our right to stay here and we will stay and stand up for what belongs to us as American citizens, because they can’t say that we haven’t had patience.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
16. “I’m showing the people that a Negro can run for office.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
17. “What I’m trying to point out now is when you take a very close look at this American society, it’s time to question these things.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
18. “That’s why I want to change Mississippi. You don’t run away from problems – you just face them.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
19. “I know lots of people in Mississippi who have lost their jobs trying to register to vote.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
20. “Actually, the world and America is upset and the only way to bring about a change is to upset it more.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
More Fannie Lou Hamer quotes and sayings
21. “When I liberate others, I liberate myself.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
22. “If you are a Christian, we are tired of being mistreated.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
23. “The type of education that we get in the state of Mississippi will make our minds so narrow it won’t coordinate with our big bodies.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
24. “We didn’t come all this way for no two seats when all of us is tired.” –Fannie Lou Hamer
25. “We want ours, and we want ours now.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
Which of these Fannie Lou Hamer quotes was your favorite?
Though her involvement in the Civil Rights Movement often left her in harm’s way, Fannie Lou Hamer did not relent in her fight for racial equality.
Her spirit was unbowed, and her voice became more powerful and influential.
Hamer’s voice could not be ignored.
She did not shy away from the dangers of challenging segregation and inspired almost everyone who encountered her.
Hopefully, the above quotes will help you find the courage to stand up for what you believe in.
Did you enjoy these Fanie Lou Hamer quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.