Many adventure-thriller fans love all the Jaws movies because of the excitement and heart-thumping action scenes it gives to fans. The movies not only give a good experience to moviegoers but they also offer all the great Jaws quotes delivered in the entire movie series.
The Jaws movie series, which started in 1975, is thrilling and somewhat scary. It deals with the characters’ life-threatening experiences while up close with the king of the oceans.
A number of character’s lives were taken and many action-packed scenes definitely made the audience thrilled and frightened at the same time. It is also notable how the characters delivered their lines well, adding to the excitement and thrill in the whole experience.
Here are some of the greatest Jaws quotes you will find in the series that will make your heart stop.
Don’t forget to also check out these Maleficent quotes from the movies about Disney’s mistress of evil.
Famous Jaws quotes and lines
1. “Intellectually, they knew a great deal. Practically, they chose to know almost nothing.” – Peter Benchley
2. “Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.” – Peter Benchley
3. “The past always seems better when you look back on it than it did at the time.” – Peter Benchley
4. “What are you doing out there? These are your people; go and talk to them.” – Chief Martin Brody
5. “Odds might be good, but the stakes were prohibitively high.” – Peter Benchley
6. “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” – Chief Martin Brody
7. “I’m chief of police, I can do anything…” – Chief Martin Brody
8. “You yell ‘Barracuda,’ everybody says ‘Huh? What?’ You yell ‘Shark,’ we’ve got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July.” – Mayor Larry Vaughn
9. “I know it is. But just do it for the old man, will ya?” – Chief Martin Brody
10. “The great fish moved silently through the night water.” – Peter Benchley
11. “Why don’t we show Mr. Hooper our accident?” – Chief Martin Brody
12. “I don’t think either one of you are familiar with our problems!” – Mayor Larry Vaughn
13. “Suppose you fell over with this fish. Is there anything you could do? Sure. Pray.” – Peter Benchley
14. “I don’t think you appreciate the gut reaction people have to these things… Martin, it’s all psychological.” – Mayor Larry Vaughn
Classic Jaws quotes from Quint
15. “Here’s to swimmin’ with bow-legged women.” – Quint
16. “Come up fish. Come to Quint.” – Quint
17. “You have city hands, Mr. Hooper. You been countin’ money all your life.” – Quint
18. “There’s too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me, by myself. For that, you get the head, the tail, the whole damned thing.” – Quint
19. “Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain.” – Quint
20. “Chief Martin Brody: You’re certifiable, Quint. You know that?
21. “Back home, we get a taxidermy man, he’s gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!” – Quint
22. “Shut off that engine!” – Quint
Best Jaws movie quotes from Matt Hooper
23. “They caught A shark. Not THE shark.” – Matt Hooper
24. “And what did you say the name of this shark is?” – Matt Hooper
25. “It’s a carcaradon carcharias. It’s a Great White.” – Matt Hooper
26. “Mary Ellen Moffit. She broke my heart.” – Matt Hooper
27. “You got any better suggestions?!” – Matt Hooper
28. “Do you want a pretzel?” – Matt Hooper
29. “You screw around with these tanks and they are going to blow up!” – Matt Hooper
30. “I don’t need this working class hero crap!” – Matt Hooper
31. “He ate the light.” – Matt Hooper
32. “This was no boat accident.” – Matt Hooper
33. “I got the creme de la creme. Right here. Hold on. Yeah, you see that?” – Matt Hooper
34. “The height and weight of the victim can only be estimated from the partial remains.” – Matt Hooper
Jaws Quotes About Sharks
35. “I’m pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it’s a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means ‘friendship’.” – Mayor Vaughn
36. “Y’know the thing about a shark, he’s got… lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn’t seem to be livin’… until he bites ya. And those black eyes roll over white, and then…” – Quint
37. “Not like going down the pond chasing’ bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole.” – Quint
38. “Doctor, there is no need for me to come to Brisbane, when I have a great white shark right here.” – Matt Hooper
39. “Tiger shark’s like a garbage can, it’ll eat anything. Someone probably threw that in the river.” – Matt Hooper
40. “Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’.” – Quint
41. “All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that’s all.” – Matt Hooper
42. “So, eleven hundred men went into the water, three hundred sixteen men come out, and the sharks took the rest.” – Quint
More Jaws quotes and lines
43. “Mr. Hooper, I’m not talkin’ about pleasure boating’ or daily sailing’, I’m talking’ about workin’ for a livin’, I’m talking about sharkin’!” – Quint
44. “Hooper ya idiot. Starboard. Ain’t you watching’ it?” – Quint
45. “You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark’s in the water, our shark.” – Quint
46. “Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three.” – Quint
47. “Tell them I’m going fishing.” – Chief Brody
48. “Oh, there’s no other shark like this in these waters!” – Chief Brody
49. “Yeah, but I’m not drunk enough to go out on a boat.” – Chief Brody
50. “Hooper ladled chum, which sounded to Brody, every time it hit the water, like diarrhea.” – Peter Benchley
Did you enjoy these Jaws quotes?
Sharks will always be one of the scariest and deadliest creatures of the seas that no man would like to deal with while in the open waters. That is why it was always a hit when a Jaws movie is released.
It portrays the life-and-death situation one may encounter when they come face-to-face with these giant creatures of water. No one wanted to get lost and alone in the open seas with all these sharks preying on you.
Are you one of the millions of Jaws fans worldwide? Who is your most favorite character and what Jaws quotes and lines are stuck with you after all these years?
June 14, 2021 7:00 AM EST