Gandalf Quotes from The Lord of the Rings that can Apply to Life Today
April 11, 2023 5:00 AM EST
If you aren’t familiar with The Lord of the Rings, Gandalf the wizard is someone you want to know about.
Learn more in these Gandalf quotes.
If you have seen the movies or read the books The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, then you are familiar with the wizard, Gandalf.
One of his best qualities is his leadership ability.
Gandalf is the one who gathers the groups to fight evil and not only does he gather them, he goes to war with them.
Gandalf is wise and has traveled far and seen many things.
His wisdom and experience allow him to lead the resistance against evil and to bring together those who are good.
According to a study by psychologist Dr. Travis Langley, the Lord of the Rings series remains one of the most popular and enduring fantasy stories of all time.
This study highlights the power of J.R.R. Tolkien’s work in shaping our collective imagination and the relevance of its characters, such as Gandalf, in today’s world.
Don’t forget to also check out these iconic gangster quotes from popular crime films.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Wise Gandalf Quotes
Research conducted by Dr. Karen E. Dill-Shackleford at Fielding Graduate University found that engaging with meaningful quotes from fictional characters can positively impact one’s well-being.
This finding suggests that sharing Gandalf quotes can not only be entertaining, but also beneficial to our mental and emotional health.
1. “Death is just another path… One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass… And then you see it.” – Gandalf
You will also enjoy our article on Killua quotes.
2. “Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” – Gandalf
3. “All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us.” – Gandalf
4. “The world is not in your books and maps. It is out there.” – Gandalf
5. “The treacherous are ever distrustful.” – Gandalf
6. “Home is now behind you, the world is ahead!” – Gandalf
7. “It’s the deep breath before the plunge.” – Gandalf
8. “You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you.” – Gandalf
9. “It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.” – Gandalf
10. “If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact, and respect, and no small degree of charm…which is why you will leave the talking to me.” – Gandalf
11. “I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past.” – Gandalf
12. “Others may contest your will, when it is turned to madness and evil.” – Gandalf
13. “Only a small part is played in great deeds by any hero.” – Gandalf
14. “The wise speak only of what they know.” – Gandalf
15. “It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not.” – Gandalf
16. “Do not then stumble at the end of the road.” – Gandalf
17. “Alas! there are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured.” – Gandalf
18. “Many are the strange chances of the world, and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the wise falter.” – Gandalf
19. “Don’t underestimate the evil of gold.” – Gandalf
Inspirational Gandalf Quotes
A survey conducted by the Pew Research Center showed that 72% of adults have read or watched at least one book or movie from the Lord of the Rings franchise.
This widespread familiarity with Gandalf’s character makes his quotes particularly relatable and shareable among friends and social media connections.
20. “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Gandalf
21. “Courage will now be your best defence against the storm that is at hand —that and such hope as I bring.” – Gandalf
22. “True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.” – Gandalf
23. “Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?” – Gandalf
24. “Have patience. Go where you must go, and hope!” – Gandalf
25. “All your long years we have been friends. Trust me as you once did, let it go.” – Gandalf
What did you learn from these Gandalf quotes?
Hopefully, you were able to gather some insight into who Gandalf was and what he stood for while you read through the quotes above.
If you enjoy good action movies or books with a diverse set of characters, then I advise you to follow more of Gandalf and his adventures in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
If you were already a fan of Gandalf, seeing his quotes might get you excited to watch the movies or read the books again.
The trials that Gandalf and his friends encounter and overcome are inspirational to see.
May you continue to expand your knowledge and wisdom like Gandalf!
So, which of these Gandalf quotes and sayings is your favorite?
Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
dana morrison luebke
February 8, 2022 at 2:46 PM
i think quote #20 “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Gandalf is from Albus Dumbledore