There are many lessons to be learned from these General Patton quotes.
General Patton is known for being one of the most successful Generals in American history.
He produced good results in a short amount of time.
And he managed to do so with fewer casualties than could be expected.
General Patton was able to do this because he was an incredible leader who others naturally followed.
His quotes provide lessons that we can apply to leadership, life, and business.
So whether you have a military background, run a business, or you are just looking for motivation to work towards a goal in your life, enjoy these General Patton quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these marine quotes that show honor and pride.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
General Patton quotes about leading
1. “Don’t tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results.” – General Patton
2. “If you tell people where to go, but not how to get there, you’ll be amazed at the results.” – General Patton
3. “No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair.” – General Patton
4. “The most difficult thing about being humble is not being able to brag about it.” – General Patton
5. “When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can’t run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn’t fight its way out of a piss-soaked paper bag. As for the types of comments I make, sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence.” – General Patton
6. “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” – General Patton
7. “Be willing to make decisions. That’s the most important quality in a good leader.” – General Patton
8. “A leader is a man who can adapt principles to circumstances.” – General Patton
9. “Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?” – General Patton
10. “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.” – General Patton
General Patton quotes about planning
11. “Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.” – General Patton
12. “A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.” – General Patton
13. “Do not try to make circumstances fit your plans. Make plans that fit the circumstances.” – General Patton
14. “I have studied the enemy all my life. I have read the memoirs of his generals and his leaders. I have even read his philosophers and listened to his music. I have studied in detail the account of every damned one of his battles. I know exactly how he will react under any given set of circumstances. And he hasn’t the slightest idea of what I’m going to do. So when the time comes, I’m going to whip the hell out of him.” – General Patton
15. “Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy.” – General Patton
16. “There are three ways that men get what they want; by planning, by working, and by praying. Any great military operation takes careful planning or thinking. Then you must have well-trained troops to carry it out: that’s working. But between the plan and the operation, there is always an unknown. That unknown spells defeat or victory, success or failure. It is the reaction of the actors to the ordeal when it actually comes. Some people call that getting the breaks; I call it God. God has His part or margin in everything, That’s where prayer comes in.” – General Patton
17. “Urge all of your men to pray, not alone in church, but everywhere. Pray when driving. Pray when fighting. Pray alone. Pray with others. Pray by night and pray by day. Pray for the cessation of immoderate rains, for good weather for Battle. Pray for the defeat of our wicked enemy whose banner is injustice and whose good is oppression. Pray for victory. Pray for our Army, and Pray for Peace. We must march together, all out for God.” – General Patton
18. “Wars are not won by fighting battles; wars are won by choosing battles.” – General Patton
19. “When in doubt, observe and ask questions. When certain, observe at length and ask many more questions.” – General Patton
20. “If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.” – General Patton
You will also enjoy our article on military quotes.
General Patton quotes about discipline
21. “You cannot be disciplined in great things and undisciplined in small things.” – General Patton
22. “Make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up.” – General Patton
23. “No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair.” – General Patton
24. “There is only one sort of discipline, perfect discipline.” – General Patton
25. “A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood.” – General Patton
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of enemy quotes that will make you want to cut ties with your frenemies.
What did you learn from these General Patton quotes?
There is a lot of wisdom in these quotes from General Patton.
There is a reason why he experienced the success that he did as a leader.
From learning work ethic, overcoming obstacles, or digging in deep to keep going when you don’t feel that you can, there are quotes that can help.
If you need a little motivation or inspiration in your life, choose a few quotes that speak to you from the list above and incorporate them into your life.
Post them up on your bathroom mirror or add them to the signature line of your email.
Let the words sink in and transform your thinking to help you grow and succeed.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these General Patton quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 12, 2022 5:00 AM EST