The enemy quotes below will help you figure out how to spot an enemy hiding within your friends.
Enemy seems like such a strong word, but having a true enemy is a big deal.
Let us know your favorite enemy quote in the comment section.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What Are The Benefits Of Reading These Enemy Quotes?
An enemy is defined as “a thing that harms or weakens something else.”
These enemy quotes will help you answer questions like:
- How do you beat your enemy?
- Should you make your enemy your friend?
- How can you spot an enemy?
Maybe, you don’t think you have enemies but want to know what you should say to the haters in your life.
We can all use a little less of those things in our lives, and hopefully, these enemy quotes will give you the inspiration to rise above and just leave the haters behind!
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Enemy Quotes On The Differences Between Friends And Enemies
1. “A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.” ― Baltasar Gracian
You will also enjoy our article on trust no one quotes.
2. “Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde
3. “Your friends will believe in your potential, your enemies will make you live up to it.” ― Tim Fargo
You will also enjoy our article on haters quotes.
4. “Your Worst Enemy Could Be Your Best Friend & Your Best Friend Your Worst Enemy” ― Bob Marley
You will also enjoy our article on savage quotes.
5. “Friends ask you questions; enemies question you.” ― Criss Jami
6. “The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
7. “Never explain―your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.” ― Elbert Hubbard
8. “I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects.” ― Oscar Wilde
9. “There’s ways you can trust an enemy you can’t always trust a friend. An enemy’s never going to betray your trust.” ― Daniel Abraham
10. “When a sinister person means to be your enemy, they always start by trying to become your friend” ― William Blake
11. “An honorable man is fair even to his enemies; a dishonorable man is unfair even to his friends!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
Enemy Quotes On How To Fight Your Haters
12. “Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” ― Abraham Lincoln
13. “Whenever you are confronted with an opponent. Conquer him with love.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
You will also enjoy our article on jealousy quotes.
14. “We do not merely destroy our enemies; we change them.” ― George Orwell
You will also enjoy our article on mask quotes.
15. “It is easy enough to be friendly to one’s friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
You will also enjoy our article on eminem quotes.
16. “The truth may not set you free, but used carefully, it can confuse the hell out of your enemies.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton
You will also enjoy our article on Confused Quotes.
17. “The greatest win is walking away and choosing not to engage in drama and toxic energy at all.” ― Lalah Delia
You will also enjoy our article on massage quotes.
18. “A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him.” ― Aesop
You will also enjoy our article on Lost Boys quotes.
19. “Enemies are either defeated, befriended or bypassed.” ― Stewart Stafford
You will also enjoy our article on character quotes.
20. “Your enemies cannot make you hate them, define you, or make you obsessively think about them, only you can do that.” ― Carmine Savastano
You will also enjoy our article on Winnie the Pooh quotes.
21. “I transform my enemy to a friend with my pen.” ― Debasish Mridha
You will also enjoy our article on friendship quotes.
22. “Keep quiet and the enemy will reveal himself.” ― Bangambiki Habyarimana
23. “Don’t fight with your enemy’s brains, fight with his heart” ― Bangambiki Habyarimana
24. “True strength isn’t being able to knock your enemies down, it’s being able to hold yourself upright against their blows.” ― Toni Sorenson
Enemy Quotes On The Makings Of An Enemy
25. “When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.” – Winston Churchill
26. “An enemy generally says and believes what he wishes.” ― Thomas Jefferson
27. “A man who lies about beer makes enemies” ― Stephen King
28. “If you have enemies, good that means you stood up for something.” ― Eminem
29. “They say you are judged by the strength of your enemies.” – James Bond
30. “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.” ― Paul Newman
31. “Choose your friends carefully. Your enemies will choose you.” – Yassir Arafat
32. “It doesn’t take but a few words to turn your best friend into your worst enemy.” ― Marlan Rico Lee
33. “If every mortal looks at others as their friends, not as their enemies, the world would be a much better place, wouldn’t it?” ― Morgan Rhodes
34. “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” – Sun Tzu
Wise Enemy Quotes
35. “Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.” ― Napoleon Bonaparte
36. “Love your enemies, for they tell you your Faults.” ― Benjamin Franklin
37. “The life of the enemy. Whoever lives for the sake of combating an enemy has an interest in the enemy’s staying alive.” ― Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
38. “He will never have true friends, he who is afraid of making enemies.” ― William Hazlitt
39. “The best revenge is not to be like your enemy.” – Marcus Aurelius
40. “A man falling off a cliff to certain death will stretch out a hand even to his worst enemy.” ― Robert Jordan
41. “I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
42. “I love my enemies for two reasons: they inspire me to recognize my weakness. They also inspire me to perfect my imperfect nature.” ― Sri Chinmoy
43. “Seeing the enemy as human. A general’s ultimate nightmare.” ― Sabaa Tahir
44. “We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.” – Aesop
45. “A genuine enemy is more useful than a fake friend.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of fake friends quotes to help you deal with deceptive people.
46. “If video games have taught me anything, it’s that if you encounter enemies then you’re going the right way” ― Ali G.
47. “Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.” ― Niccolò Machiavelli
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Machiavelli quotes to give you an intellectual look at the themes of power, morality, and more.
48. “Never Hate your enemies, they teach you lessons.” ― Bharath Mamidoju
49. “People who are two-faced, usually forget which mask they are wearing at some point in their life.” ― Anthony T.Hincks
50. “You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.” – Eric Hoffer
Best Enemy Quotes
51. “Enemies are people who’s story you haven’t heard, or who’s face you haven’t seen.” – Irene Butter
52. “Despise the enemy strategically, but take him seriously tactically.” – Mao Zedong
53. “Keep quiet and the enemy will reveal himself.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
54. “Sometimes the simplest solution out of conflict is becoming someone’s friend.” – Shannon L. Alder
55. “The enemies of your enemies are not always your friends, but they can still be useful.” – James D. Sass
56. “A polite enemy is just as difficult to discredit, as a rude friend is to protect.” – Bryant H. McGill
57. “You cannot defeat an enemy you do not admit exists.” – Michael T. Flynn
58. “I like to have powerful enemies. Makes me feel important.” – Leigh Bardugo
59. “A bullet can kill the enemy, but a bullet can also produce an enemy, depending on whom that bullet strikes.” – Tim O’Brien
60. “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
Enemy Quotes And Sayings
61. “May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won’t.” – George Patton
62. “The noblest revenge is to forgive.” – Thomas Fuller
63. “Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.” – Mario Puzo
64. “You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” – Winston Churchill
65. “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” – William Blake
66. “There are only two people who can tell you the truth about yourself : an enemy who has lost his temper and a friend who loves you dearly.” – Antisthenes
67. “Kill them with success, and bury them with a smile.” – Keisha Keenleyside
68. “Pay close attention to people who don’t clap when you win.” – Leonardo DiCaprio
69. “Take the stones people throw at you, and use them to build a monument.” – Ratan Tata
70. “Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.” – John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Be Smarter Than Your Enemy Quotes
71. “Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.” -Sun Tzu
72. “In the practice of tolerance, one’s enemy is the best teacher.” -Mahatma Ghandi
73. “If you want peace, you don’t talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies.” –Desmond Tutu
74. “A man who has made no enemies is probably not a very good man.” -Antonin Scalia
75. “A man cannot be too careful in the selection of his enemies.” -Oscar Wilde
76. “If we could read the secret history of our enemies we should find in each man’s life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.” -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
77. “No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.” -Daisy Bates
78. “If you want to make enemies, try to change something.” –Woodrow Wilson
79. “Be loyal to those who are loyal to you. And respect everyone, even your enemies and competition.” -John Cena
80. “Pay attention to your enemies, for they are the first to discover your mistakes.” -Antisthenes
Enemy Quotes To Keep You Aware
81. “If you treat people with dignity, respect and friendliness, you can turn enemies into friends. An enemy is nothing but a friend in disguise.” -Ted Turner
82. “Everybody you fight is not your enemy and everybody that helps you is not your friend.” –Mike Tyson
83. “Never interfere with an enemy in the process of destroying himself.” -Napoleon
84. “If you don’t have enemies, you don’t have character.” -Paul Newman
85. “Only a fool would let his enemy teach his children.” –Malcolm X
86. “You cannot defeat your enemies until you know who they are.” -Anthony Horowitz
87. “If you have an enemy, then learn and know your enemy, don’t just be mad at him or her.” –Denzel Washington
88. “It’s sad when friends become enemies. But what’s even worse is when they become strangers.” ― Hayley Williams
89. “Rejoice not at thine enemy’s fall- but don’t rush to pick him up either.” -Jewish proverb
90. “Your enemies are people too, and maybe they don’t have to be enemies if they’re that much like you.” -Joe Weisberg
Enemy Quotes On Success In Life
91. “Treat your friend as if he will one day be your enemy, and your enemy as if he will one day be your friend” — Warren G. Harding
92. “The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he’s on.” — Joseph Heller
93. “The enemies of the future are always the very nicest people.” — Christopher Morley
94. “You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
95. “I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don’t believe I deserved my friends.” — Walt Whitman
96. “I don’t have a warm personal enemy left. They’ve all died off. I miss them terribly because they helped define me.” — Clare Boothe Luce
97. “Who are enemies? Those who oppose each others will.” — Mary Caroline Richards
98. “Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril.” — Sun Tzu
99. “If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner.” — Nelson Mandela
100. “What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy’s strategy.” — Sun Tzu
Enemy Quotes To Help You Cope With Own Enemies In Life
101. “Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.” — Frank Sinatra
102. “Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.” — George W. Bush
103. “The wise learn many things from their enemies.” — Aristophanes
104. “Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There is too much fraternizing with the enemy.” — Henry Kissinger
105. “An ancient rule of ethics and politics is that you should never push your enemy into despair.” — Joseph De Maistre
106. “Let us choose our enemies well. So let us choose our friends well, since these will become those.” — Henry de Montherlant
107. “Love your enemies, for they determine who you are.” — Joseph Campbell
108. “Anyway, just because you’re sworn enemies doesn’t mean you can’t be friends, does it?” — Terry Pratchett
109. “Noble dragons don’t have friends. The nearest they can get to the idea is an enemy who is still alive.” — Terry Pratchett
110. “He will never have true friends who is afraid of making enemies.” — William Hazlitt
Enemy Quotes On How To Live With Them
111. “The enemies you make by taking a decided stand generally have more respect for you than the friends you make by being on the fence.” ― Henry A. Kissinger
112. “I hate admitting that my enemies have a point.” ― Salman Rushdie
113. “The worst enemy is one whose doctrines are founded in hate and are thus beyond debate.” ― Tobsha Learner
114. “It is better to decide a difference between enemies than friends, for one of our friends will certainly become an enemy and one of our enemies a friend.” ― Bias of Priene
115. “Doing an injury puts you below your enemy; revenging one make you but even with him; forgiving it sets you above him.” ― Benjamin Franklin
116. “One of the most lasting pleasures you can experience is the feeling that comes over you when you genuinely forgive an enemy – whether he knows it or not.” ― Orlando Aloysius Battista
117. “However bad a man, he will have some friends: however good, he will have some enemies.” ― Ivan Panin
118. “Always presume that the enemy has dangerous designs and always be forehanded with the remedy. But do not let these calculations make your timid.” ― Frederick The Great
119. “He is a man of courage who does not run away, but remains at his post and fights against the enemy.” ― Socrates
120. “We make our friends; we make our enemies; but God makes our next door neighbour.” ― Gilbert K. Chesterton
Enemy Quotes To Maintain A Circle Of Your True Friends
121. “We have met the enemy and they are ours.” — Oliver Hazard Perry
122. “Even a paranoid can have enemies.” — Henry A. Kissinger
123. “We read that we ought to forgive our enemies; but we do not read that we ought to forgive our friends.” — Francis Bacon
124.”Treat your friend as if he might become an enemy.” — Publilius Syrus
125. Beware of no man more than of yourself; we carry our worst enemies within us.” — Charles Spurgeon
126. “It is difficult to say who do you the most mischief, enemies with the worst intentions, or friends with the best.” — Edward Bulwer-Lytton
127.”Wine is a turncoat; first a friend and then an enemy.” — Henry Fielding
128. “The enemy is the necessary condition for practicing patience.” — Dalai Lama
129. “If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.” — Sun Tzu
130. “Never say things to friends which you don’t want to hear from enemies.” — Harbhajan Singh Yogi
Enemy Quotes On How To Live With Your Enemies
131. “Let my enemies devour each other.” — Salvador Dali
132.“One should forgive one’s enemies, but not before they are hanged.” ― Heinrich Heine
133. “Faith activates God – Fear activates the Enemy.” — Joel Osteen
134. “No accurate thinker will judge another person by that which the other person’s enemies say about him.” — Napoleon Hill
135. “Friends come and go but enemies accumulate.” — Arthur Bloch
136. “Memory is man’s greatest friend and worst enemy.” — Gilbert Parker
137. “That is the thankless position of the father in the family-the provider for all, and the enemy of all.” — August Strindberg
138. “If you want enemies, excel others; if you want friends, let others excel you.” — Charles Caleb Colton
139. “It is a pitiful fortune that is not without enemies.” — Publilius Syrus
140. “Man usually avoids attributing cleverness to somebody else unless it is an enemy.” — Albert Einstein
Enemy Quotes To Know How To Relate With Enemies
141. “It’s always worthwhile to recognize what your enemy is saying.” ― Daniel Thorman
142. “Some things are so bad or painful that you’d wish them on your worst enemy.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
143. “Let’s admit, without apology, what we do to each other. We know who our enemies are. We know.” ― Richard Siken
144. “When your true enemies are too strong, you have to choose weaker enemies.” ― Umberto Eco
145. “But if you look at history the great men and women of the world have always been defined by their enemies.” ― Lex Luthor
146. “Having many enemies means having no peace.” ― Derek Bryce
147. “At least he had some of the right enemies, even if he didn’t do enough to earn them.” ― Christopher Hitchens
148. “Betrayals rarely come from an enemy.” ― Aniekee Tochukwu Ezekiel
149. “Stand up for the truth and you’ll find out who your enemies are.” ― Marty Rubin
150. “Always keep a polite distance from the enemy: people.” ― Marty Rubin
Enemy Quotes To Navigate The Complex Terrain Of Relationships
151. “Your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own unguarded thoughts.” ― Buddha
152. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
153. “The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend.” ― Abraham Lincoln”
154. Your enemy is not the person you hate, but the ideas you do not understand.” ― Muneer G. Ferozie
155. “Enemies are but opportunities in disguise.” ― Thibaut
156. “The only real enemy is fear. It’s the only opponent anyone ever has to beat.” ― Patrick Ness
157. “The greatest weapon against an enemy is another enemy.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
158. An enemy is a friend whose story you haven’t heard.” ― Gene Roddenberry
159. The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy.” ― Marcus Aurelius
160. “The enemy is not just any man, but an aspect of ourselves. If we could control the dark side of ourselves, it can never harm us.” ― John Ajvide Lindqvist
Enemy Quotes That Illuminate The Path To Understanding And Resolution
161. “Your enemy is a reflection of your insecurities.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
162. “Conquer your enemies by understanding them, not by defeating them.” ― James Pierce
163. “The enemy is within the gates; it is with our own luxury, our own folly, our own criminality that we have to contend.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero
164. “The enemy is not a stranger; the enemy is ignorance.” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
165. “An enemy is like a treasure found in adversity.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
166. “The enemy is the unthinking majority.” ― Christopher Hitchens
167. “Your enemy’s strength is your opportunity to become stronger.” ― Tariq Ramadan
168. To defeat your enemy, you must first understand them.” ― Richard Nixon
169. “A rose does not answer its enemies with words, but with beauty.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
170. “Never rush to destroy your enemies. Let them live long enough to see your success.” ― Mouloud Benzadi
171. “Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and the junk food as far away as possble.” ― Krista Scott-Dixon
172. “Don’t waste time making enemies. As long as you’re active, you’ll have plenty.” ― George Hammond
173. “Unless people are prepared to declare themselves your enemies you have to hunt around for them.” ― Auberon Waugh
174. “Never get close to your enemies, you might start liking them.” ― Cristian L. Martinez
175. “My father said to remember your enemies as well as your friends, and don’t trust either of them.” ― Steven Herrick
176. “Choose your friends carefully but don’t worry about your enemies, they will choose you” ― Carl Henegan
177. “There are few things worse than mistaking an enemy for a friend.” ― Wayne Gerard Trotman
178. “Some allies are more dangerous than enemies.” ― George R.R. Martin
What Did You Learn From These Enemy Quotes?
Before reading these quotes, I would have said I didn’t have any “enemies.”
I’ve concluded that I have to re-evaluate some friendships when thinking about it in terms of things that try to harm or weaken me.
The people in your lives should be genuinely happy for you when you break away from things that cause you misery.
Sometimes jealousy, fear, and judgments hold them back, but don’t let them get in your head!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these enemy quotes and sayings?
Is there a relationship in your life that is bringing you down?
Do you have a story about a time you beat an enemy?
Please share it in the comment section!