Money Quotes Celebrating Financial Literacy and Independence
April 27, 2023 5:00 AM EST
This “money quotes” collection will inspire you to make good use of your financial resources.
Money is an important commodity in our lives.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a survey by the National Foundation for Credit Counseling, only 41% of American adults keep a budget and track their spending.
This statistic could be used to highlight the importance of financial literacy and how it can lead to better financial decision-making.
Without money, you cannot buy anything you wish, you cannot pick the charities and causes you to believe in and support them, and it will generally be difficult to live on earth.
Although money cannot buy everything, it plays an important role in our daily lives.
It can’t buy happiness but it allows you to take care of yourself much better and makes it easier for you to meet your basic necessities.
Overall, money occupies a unique position in our modern capitalist world.
As the saying goes, money makes the world go round.
A lot of events could not happen within it.
To celebrate financial literacy and independence, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking money quotes, money sayings, and money proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
You might also like these wise Dave Ramsey quotes from one of the most notable experts on financial success in the modern world.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
Money quotes celebrating financial literacy and independence
A survey by Bankrate found that only 16% of Americans aged 18-26 are very confident in their ability to manage their money.
This statistic could be used to show the lack of financial education in schools and the importance of teaching financial literacy skills early on in life.
1. ”Money is usually attracted, not pursued.” – Jim Rohn
2. ”If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free. If our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed.” – Edmund Burke
You will also enjoy our article on wolf of wall street quotes.
3. ”Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are.” – James W. Frick
You will also enjoy our article on hustle quotes.
4. ”Never spend your money before you have earned it.” – Thomas Jefferson
You will also enjoy our article on robert kiyosaki quotes.
5. ”Money often costs too much.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on john d rockefeller quotes.
6. ”Frugality includes all the other virtues.” – Cicero
You will also enjoy our article on best rap quotes.
7. ”A wise person should have money in their head, but not in their heart.” – Jonathan Swift
You will also enjoy our article on rich dad poor dad quotes.
8. ”Financial peace isn’t the acquisition of stuff. It’s learning to live on less than you make, so you can give money back and have money to invest. You can’t win until you do this.” – Dave Ramsey
You will also enjoy our article on monday motivation quotes.
9. ”That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest.”- Henry David Thoreau
You will also enjoy our article on savage quotes.
10. ”Fortune sides with him who dares.”- Virgil
Money quotes to help you make good use of your finances
A survey by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that financial stress can lead to poor physical and mental health outcomes, including depression and anxiety.
This statistic could be used to show how financial literacy and independence can improve overall well-being.
11. ”I don’t pay good wages because I have a lot of money; I have a lot of money because I pay good wages.” – Robert Bosch
You will also enjoy our article on moneybagg yo quotes.
12. ”Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas.” – Paul Samuelson
13. ”Money grows on the tree of persistence.” – Japanese Proverb
14. ”Money is a guarantee that we may have what we want in the future. Though we need nothing at the moment it insures the possibility of satisfying a new desire when it arises.” – Aristotle
15. ”When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.” – Oscar Wilde
16. ”The lack of money is the root of all evil.” – Mark Twain
17. ”You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you.” – Maya Angelou
18. ”Buy when everyone else is selling and hold until everyone else is buying. That’s not just a catchy slogan. It’s the very essence of successful investing.” – JP Getty
19. ”How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case.” – Robert G. Allen
20. ”It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” – Robert Kiyosaki
You might also like these top saving money quotes for everyone.
Money quotes that highlight its importance in our daily lives
A survey by the American Psychological Association found that money is a significant source of stress for many Americans, with 64% of adults reporting that money is a somewhat or very significant source of stress in their lives.
This statistic highlights the pervasive impact of financial concerns on people’s well-being.
21. ”My formula for success is rise early, work late and strike oil.” – JP Getty
22. ”Many people are afraid to fail, so they don’t try. They may dream, talk, and even plan, but they don’t take that critical step of putting their money and their effort on the line. To succeed in business, you must take risks. Even if you fail, that’s how you learn. There has never been, and will never be, an Olympic skater who didn’t fall on the ice.” – Donald Trump
23. ”One penny may seem to you a very insignificant thing, but it is the small seed from which fortunes spring.” – Orison Swett Marden
24. ”More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went.” – Roger Babson
25. ”What’s keeping you from being rich? In most cases, it’s simply a lack of belief. In order to become rich, you must believe you can do it, and you must take the actions necessary to achieve your goal.” – Suze Orman
26. ”To get rich, you have to be making money while you’re asleep.”– David Bailey
27. ”Wealth is largely the result of habit.” – John Jacob Astor
28. ”Lack of money is no obstacle. Lack of an idea is an obstacle.” – Ken Hakuta
29. ”Today the greatest single source of wealth is between your ears.”- Brian Tracy
30. ”Never stand begging for that which you have the power to earn.” – Miguel de Cervantes
You might also like these money making quotes and sayings.
Money quotes to help you grow financially
Research by the University of Warwick found that people who earn more money tend to be happier, but only up to a point. After a certain income level, higher income does not lead to a corresponding increase in happiness.
This statistic suggests that money can contribute to happiness, but it is not the only factor.
31. ”You use your money to buy privacy because during most of your life you aren’t allowed to be normal.” – Johnny Depp
32. ”Money is the wise man’s religion.” – Euripides
33. ”When I had money everyone called me brother.” – Polish proverb
34. ”I pity that man who wants a coat so cheap that the man or woman who produces the cloth shall starve in the process.” – Benjamin Harrison
35. ”Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” – Thomas Edison
36. ”In investing, what is comfortable is rarely profitable.” – Robert Arnott
37. ”Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left after saving.” – Warren Buffet
38. ”It’s not your salary that makes your rich; it’s your spending habits.” – Charles A Jaffe
39. ”If a person gets his attitude toward money straight, it will help straighten out almost every other area in his life.” – Billy Graham
40. ”Many people take no care of their money till they come nearly to the end of it, and others do just the same with their time.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of materialistic quotes about the lure of more stuff.
Money quotes to inspire and teach
Research by the University of Cambridge found that people who prioritize experiences over material possessions tend to be happier and more satisfied with their lives.
This statistic emphasizes the idea that the pursuit of money and material possessions is not necessarily the key to happiness and fulfillment.
41. ”A simple fact that is hard to learn is that the time to save money is when you have some.” – Joe Moore
42. ”Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.” – Henry David Thoreau
43. ”Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
44. ”If you’re saving, you’re succeeding.” – Steve Burkholder
45. ”Money is good for nothing unless you know the value of it by experience.” – P.T Barnum
46. ”Know what you own, and know why you own it.” – Peter Lynch
47. ”You only have so many hours in a day, let others make the money for you!” – Nick Haase
48. ”Beware of small expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship.” – Benjamin Franklin
49. ”Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people that they don’t like.” – Will Rogers
50. ”Money can’t buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while you’re being miserable.” – Clare Boothe Luce
Thought-provoking money quotes
According to a survey by Bankrate, 28% of Americans have no emergency savings at all.
This statistic can be used to highlight the importance of financial literacy and planning, as well as the potential impact of financial stress on mental health.
51. “Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one.” – Benjamin Franklin
52. “There is a gigantic difference between earning a great deal of money and being rich.” —Marlene Dietrich
53. “Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.” – Ayn Rand
54. “The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
55. “Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that.” – Norman Vincent Peale
56. “Money is multiplied in practical value depending on the number of W’s you control in your life: what you do, when you do it, where you do it, and with whom you do it.” —Timothy Ferriss
57. “If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.” – Henry Ford
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of knowledge quotes for those who love learning.
58. “You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.” —Dave Ramsey
59. “Wealth is like sea-water; the more we drink, the thirstier we become; and the same is true of fame.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
60. “Money is a terrible master but an excellent servant.” —P.T. Barnum
More money quotes and sayings
Research conducted by the National Endowment for Financial Education found that financial stress can lead to physical health problems, including migraines, ulcers, and heart attacks.
This statistic can be used to emphasize the importance of managing money effectively for overall health and wellbeing.
61. “A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.” – Virginia Woolf
62. “Don’t think money does everything or you are going to end up doing everything for money.” – Voltaire
63. “The money you make is a symbol of the value you create.” – Idowu Koyenikan
64. “It’s easy to say you don’t care about money when you have plenty of it.” – Ransom Riggs
65. “Having money isn’t everything, not having it is.” – Kanye West
66. “Money has only a different value in the eyes of each.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
67. “Finance is the art of passing money from hand to hand until it finally disappears.” – Robert W. Sarnoff
68. “The first rule in making money is not to lose it.” – Steven J. Lee
69. “The problem of money is not a problem in having money but a problem in accepting money. If you try to protect it, save it, you don’t have it.” – Meir Ezra
70. “If you don’t take care of your money your money won’t take care of you.” – Mac Duke The Strategist
Insightful Money Making Quotes
According to a study by the Federal Reserve, the median net worth of American households in 2020 was $121,700.
This statistic can be used to provide context for discussions about income inequality and financial disparity.
71. “Don’t let making a living prevent you from making a life.” – John Wooden
72. “I don’t care too much for money, for money can’t buy me love.” – The Beatles
73. “If you make meaning, you’ll make money.” – Guy Kawasaki
74. “The best way to become a billionaire is to help a billion people.” – Peter Diamandis
75. “If you can get paid for doing what you love, every paycheck is a bonus.” – Oprah Winfrey
76. “Money is not the only answer, but it makes a difference.” – Barack Obama
77. “We have always believed that it’s possible to make money without being evil.” – Larry Page
78. “If you cannot control your emotions, you cannot control your money.” – Warren Buffett
79. “There is gold everywhere. Most people are not trained to see it.” – Robert Kiyosaki
80. “Rich people choose to get paid based on results. Poor people choose to get paid based on time.” – T. Harv Eker
Inspiring Quotes about Money and Wealth
81. “Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give.” – William A. Ward
82. “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.” – Seneca
83. “Only buy something that you’d be perfectly happy to hold if the market shuts down for ten years.” – Warren Buffett
84. “Not he who has much is rich, but he who gives much.” – Erich Fromm
85. “Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.” – Jim Rohn
86. “It doesn’t matter about money; having it, not having it. Or having clothes, or not having them. You’re still left alone with yourself in the end.” – Billy Idol
87. “Money does not buy you happiness, but lack of money certainly buys you misery.” – Daniel Kahneman
88. “Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.” – Zig Ziglar
89. “It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money can’t buy.” – George Lorimer
90. “Making money is a common sense. It’s not rocket science. But unfortunately, when it comes to money, common sense is uncommon.” – Robert Kiyosaki
Money Quotes That We Relate To In Our Daily Lives
91. “Money is like gasoline during a road trip. You don’t want to run out of gas on your trip, but you’re not doing a tour of gas stations.” ― Tim O’Reilly
92. “Sex is like money; only too much is enough.” ― John Updike
93. “Waste your money and you’re only out of money, but waste your time and you’ve lost a part of your life.” ― Michael LeBoeuf
94. “Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self.” ― Nathan W. Morris
95. “Balancing your money is the key to having enough.” ― Elizabeth Warren Amelia
96. “Having money is a way of being free of money.” ― Albert Camus
97. “Unfortunately most ways of making big money take a long time. By the time one has made the money one is too old to enjoy it.” ― Ian Fleming
98. “People who say that money can’t buy happiness just don’t know where to shop.” ― Kathy Lette
99. “It all came down to money – the great equalizer and common denominator.” ― James Ellroy
100. “Money speaks sense in a language all nations understand.” ― Aphra Behn
Money Quotes To Use it for Important Projects
101. “It is good to have things that money can buy, but it is also good to check up once in awhile and be sure we have the things money can’t buy.” — George Horace Lorimer
102. “Happiness can be the result, not of spending more money on oneself, but rather of giving money away to others.” — Christian Smith
103. “But here’s the real truth: money earned ethically allows you to do incredible things for the world.” — Dean Graziosi
104. “A gift that costs no money but one that costs time and your attention is giving someone words of encouragement.” — Catherine Pulsifer
105. “Change brings huge opportunity, and money loves change, especially when the change increases in speed.” — Rob Moore
106. “Of course, to have money is just great because you can do what you think is important to you. I always was a rich person because money’s not related to happiness.” — Paulo Coelho
107. “Why spend money on something when you’re already happy with what you’ve got?” — Sophie Hinch
108. “Desire certainly is at the bottom of every achievement, and this basic fact is no less true of the achievement of attracting money.” — James Goi Jr
109. “Money only appeals to selfishness and irresistibly invites abuse.” — Albert Einstein
110. “Knowledge is like money: the more he gets, the more he craves.” — Josh Billings
Which of the money quotes above was your best?
The impact of money in our lives cannot be denied.
It shapes our choices and habits.
The role money plays can be seen in almost all aspects of life.
Having sufficient funds can benefit your lifestyle in many ways.
Money affects our family lives, hobbies, travel, everyday purchases and much more.
Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to make good use of your finances.
Which of the above money quotes resonated with you best?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
October 25, 2020 at 1:38 AM
“The only things you can save is bill yourself.”