Decision Quotes That Remind Us How Much Power We Really Have
April 18, 2023 5:00 AM EST
Our latest collection of decision quotes to help you make the right choices.
The reason that decisions have so much power is because they are OURS.
Many people feel helpless and angry because they believe that decisions are out of their hands.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to a survey conducted by the American Psychological Association, decision fatigue is a real phenomenon that affects our ability to make good decisions.
The survey found that 63% of respondents felt their decision-making abilities were compromised when they were tired or had other things on their mind.
The fact of the matter is that almost all decisions are in our hands.
While it might seem like someone such as a boss, or a partner, or a friend, are the ones making the choice, our acceptance or reaction to that is purely ours.
When we realize that we have this type of control over our fate and our future, we are empowered.
We are emboldened, and we are creative in terms of what it will take to achieve what we are setting out to do.
Below are some wonderful decision quotes and its power that you might find inspiring.
Also read these intuition quotes that will help you trust your your own instincts.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Decision quotes for all areas of life
A study conducted by Harvard Business School found that individuals who made quick decisions were more likely to be successful in their professional and personal lives.
The study suggests that quick decision-makers are more decisive and confident, which allows them to take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
1. “You have a brain and mind of your own. Use it, and reach your own decisions.” — Napoleon Hill
You will also enjoy our article on choice quotes.
2. “Your legacy is being written by yourself. Make the right decisions.” — Gary Vaynerchuk
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about choices.
3. “You cannot make progress without making decisions.” — Jim Rohn
You will also enjoy our article on opportunity quotes.
4. “The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision.”- Maimonides
You will also enjoy our article on waiting quotes.
5. “A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved.” – Dorothea Brande
You will also enjoy our article on disappointment quotes .
6. “Life presents many choices, the choices we make determine our future.” – Catherine Pulsifer
You will also enjoy our article on letting go quotes .
7. “Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on goodbye quotes .
8. “May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.” – Nelson Mandela
You will also enjoy our article on pain quotes.
9. “Love is a decision – not an emotion!” ― Lao Tzu
You will also enjoy our article on fate quotes.
10. “You and only you are responsible for your life choices and decisions.” — Robert T. Kiyosaki
You will also enjoy our article on making the right decision.
Decision quotes to motivate you
A study by Columbia Business School found that when faced with a difficult decision, people who focused on the process of decision-making rather than the outcome were more likely to make a rational choice.
By focusing on the process, individuals were able to consider all available options, weigh the pros and cons, and make a decision that aligned with their goals and values.
11. “If you chase two rabbits, both will escape.”- Unknown author
You will also enjoy our article on everything happens for a reason quotes.
12. “If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.”- Jim Rohn
You will also enjoy our article on maya angelou quotes.
13. “When you cannot make up your mind which of two evenly balanced courses of action you should take, choose the bolder.” – William Joseph Slim
You will also enjoy our article on broken heart quotes.
14. “Why do we have to listen to our hearts? Because, wherever your heart is, that is where you all find your treasure.”- Paulo Coelho
You will also enjoy our article on Stoic quotes.
15. “We must make the choices that enable us to fulfill the deepest capacities of our real selves.” – Thomas Merton
You will also enjoy our article on bad habits quotes.
16. “Changing our decision sets up a bad habit. It reinforces decision-making as an expression of bewilderment and ignorance, instead of wisdom and freedom.” – Sakyong Mipham
17. “To get anywhere, or even to live a long time, a man has to guess, and guess right, over and over again, without enough data for a logical answer.”- Robert Heinlein
18. “Using the power of decision gives you the capacity to get past any excuse to change any and every part of your life in an instant.”- Anthony Robbins
19. “When we find inspiration, we need to take action for ourselves and for our communities. Even if it means making a hard choice, or cutting out something and leaving it in your past.” – Aron Ralston
20. “In every single thing you do, you are choosing a direction. Your life is a product of choices.” – Dr. Kathleen Hall
Decision quotes to help you make the right choices
According to a study by Pew Research Center, 80% of adults in the U.S. have made a major life decision in the past year, such as changing jobs, getting married, or moving to a new home.
This statistic emphasizes the importance of decision-making in our daily lives and highlights the need for inspirational quotes to guide us through these decisions.
21. “And we have complete control over our own attitude. We are the ones we decide how we feel, how we look at things, how we react.” – Catherine Pulsifer
22. “The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.” – Buddha
23. “Each person has a choice; the choice to do as one may wish and as one wants remains with the individual. If a person sees no benefit to change, they will not change.” – Byron Pulsifer
24. “Did you know that to worry about a situation you are making a conscious choice to do so?” – Mike C. Adams, How To Stop Worrying and Be Happy
25. “We all need to decide whether to “play it safe” in life and worry about the downside, or instead take a chance, by being who we really are and living the life our heart desires. Which choice are you making?” – Charlie Badenhop
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of worry quotes to help you calm your fears.
26. “And in life, it is all about choices we make. And how the direction of our lives comes down to the choices we choose.” – Catherine Pulsifer
27. “Decision is a sharp knife that cuts clean and straight; indecision, a dull one that hacks and tears and leaves ragged edges behind it.” – Gordon Graham
28. “You came empty on earth, why overloaded now, were all your choices absolutely correct, it is never too late to reconsider them?” – William Ngwako Maphoto
29. “If you don’t have the information you need to make wise choices, find someone who does.” – Lori Hil, 5 Gifts to Give Yourself
30. “You always do what you want to do. This is true with every act. You may say that you had to do something, or that you were forced to, but actually, whatever you do, you do by choice. Only you have the power to choose for yourself.” – W. Clement Stone
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these new month quotes that inspire new beginnings.
Decision quotes to elevate your mind
A study by Stanford University found that the fear of making the wrong decision can lead to decision paralysis and inaction.
This research highlights the importance of quotes that encourage individuals to embrace the decision-making process, rather than avoiding it altogether.
31. “The choices that we make in our life, indeed determine the kind of results that we experience and the quality of the life that we live.” – Sumeet Jain, Life is a pack of 52 cards
32. “A word uttered from the deepest conviction is better than merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.” – Gandhi
33. “The choices we make every minute of every day can contribute to making someone’s life a little bit better or worse even without intending to.” – Chikamso Efobi, Twisted in a Positive Way
34. “Big changes don’t have to be hard, but they do have to start with a choice. This is where real change begins; this is where you start taking control of your life and how you choose to live it; this is where it all starts.” – Nathalie Thompson, Simple Strategies for Stress Relief: How to Reduce Anxiety, Regain Control of Your Life, and Beat Stress the Easy Way
35. “In my experience working with a variety of people over several decades, far too many individuals choose to be anonymous members of the pack, therefore suffering from the inner remorse that makes them feel like failures, filled with conflict and resentment and wondering what the meaning of life is.”- Dr. Wayne W. Dyer, 10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace
36. “Addicts cannot change the abuse suffered in childhood. They cannot undo the choices they have made or the hurt they have caused. But they can change the future – through the power they have in the present moment.” – Ryan Holiday, Stephen Hanselman, The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living
37. “Most of the choices we make each day may feel like the products of well-considered decision making, but they’re not. They’re habits. And though each habit means relatively little on its own, over time, the meals we order, what we say to our kids each night, whether we save or spend, how often we exercise, and the way we organize our thoughts and work routines have enormous impacts on our health, productivity, financial security, and happiness.” – Charles Duhigg, The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We do in Life and Business
38. “Expanding our capacity to talk, particularly when we face critical choices, is a life-enhancing skill. I believe that there is no faster way for us to evolve than through the process of interacting with one another.” – Sarah Rozenthuler, Life-Changing Conversations: 7 Strategies to Help You Talk About What Matters Most
39. “In this new era, you have two choices: become a temp staffer (not a horrible choice) or become an artist-entrepreneur. Choose to commoditize your labor or choose yourself to be a creator, an innovator, an artist, an investor, a marketer, and an entrepreneur.” – James Altucher, Choose Yourself!
40. “You shape your future every day through the choices you make. That’s sort of a hard one to swallow, isn’t it? It would be much easier to say you are a victim of circumstances. Then you don’t have to act. Your choices create your reality.” – Jason Harvey, Achieve Anything In Just One Year: Be Inspired Daily to Live Your Dreams and Accomplish Your Goals
More Decision Quotes and Sayings
A survey conducted by LinkedIn revealed that decision-making is one of the top skills employers look for in job candidates.
This statistic emphasizes the real-world relevance of decision-making skills and underscores the value of incorporating decision quotes into professional development.
41. “There’s no one path. There’s every path. Every path starts with this one moment. Did you choose yourself for this moment? Can you be bold? Then all paths will lead to the same place. Right now.” – Dick Costolo, CEO of Twitter
42. “Listen to the desires of your children. Encourage them and then give them the autonomy to make their own decision.” – Denis Waitley
43. “Shelving hard decisions is the least ethical course.” – Adrian Cadbury
44. “All my life, whenever it comes time to make a decision, I make it and forget about it.” – Harry S. Truman
45. “Decision is a risk rooted in the courage of being free.” – Paul Tillich
46. “I believe the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude.” – Charles Swindoll
47. “Make decisions from the heart and use your head to make it work out.” – Sir Girad
48. “You and I need to be the decision makers in our own lives and careers. It is also our responsibility to allow and encourage others to do the same.” – Jay Rifenbary
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of encouraging quotes to help keep you going.
49. “The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn.” – David Russell
50. “Make decisions with the long term in mind. If you were truly the owner of your company and the success or failure of your business hinged on the performance of your team, you would dedicate yourself to constant improvement.” – David Miller
Decision quotes that prove you always have a choice
According to a study by Cornell University, people make an average of 35,000 decisions per day.
This means that we have ample opportunities to exercise our power of choice and make decisions that align with our values and goals.
51. “You are not the victim of the world, but rather the master of your own destiny. It is your choices and decisions that determine your destiny.” ― Roy T. Bennett
52. “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
53. “Sometimes, making the wrong choice is better than making no choice. You have the courage to go forward, that is rare. A person who stands at the fork, unable to pick, will never get anywhere.” ― Terry Goodkind
54. “You might want to decide fast. We live in a dangerous world. If you see a chance to be happy, you have to fight for it, so later you have no regrets.” ― Ilona Andrews
55. “Even if we all want you here, you don’t belong until you decide you do.” ― Stephenie Meyer
56. “Think a hundred times before you take a decision, but once that decision is taken, stand by it as one man.” ― Muhammad Ali Jinnah
57. “The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim.”- Sun Tzu
58. “People will always have opinions about your decision because they’re not courageous enough to take action on their opinion.” ― Steve Maraboli
59. “Every decision you make, makes you. Never let other people choose who you’re going to be.” ― Cassandra Clare
60. “Small good decisions will lead you to the glorious path of success.” ― Zain Hashmi
Thought-provoking decision quotes to reflect on
According to a study by Columbia Business School, individuals who take more time to make decisions tend to be more satisfied with the outcomes of those decisions.
This suggests that it can be beneficial to take a step back and carefully consider our options before making a choice.
61. “When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.” – Paulo Coelho
62. “Once a decision is made, you should stop worrying and start working. It’s not always what we know that makes it a good decision. It is what we do to implement and execute it that makes it a good decision.” — John C. Maxwell
63. “Decisions decide destiny, there is no action without decision.” — Tony Robbins
64. “Every decision you make reflects your evaluation of who you are.” — Marianne Williamson
65. “Sir, what is the secret of your success? A reporter asked a bank president.
And, sir, what are they?
And how do you make good decisions?
And sir, what is that?
And how do you get Experience?
And, sir, what are they?
Bad decisions.” – Unknown author
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of The Secret quotes to help you manifest your dreams.
66. “Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline.”- Jim Collins
67. “Where you are going to spend your time and your energy is one of the most important decisions you get to make in life.” — Jeff Bezos
68. “Where there is no decision there is no life.”- JJ Dewey
69. “In a world where death is the hunter, my friend, there is no time for regrets or doubts. There is only time for decisions.” — Carlos Castaneda
70. “When you face a problem, solve it then and there if you have the facts necessary to make a decision. Don’t keep putting off decisions.” — Dale Carnegie
Decision Quotes On Living By The Decisions You Make
A survey conducted by LinkedIn found that 70% of professionals have made a significant career decision based on their gut feelings.
While it’s important to weigh the pros and cons of a decision, sometimes our intuition can provide valuable insights.
71. “Whenever I’m faced with a difficult decision, I ask myself: What would I do if I weren’t afraid of making a mistake, feeling rejected, looking foolish, or being alone?” — Oprah Winfrey
72. “Very often, when you change your perspective, you see things differently, make different decisions, and get different results.” — Brian Tracy
73. “For the little things that are good ripen into big things that are good. And the little things that are bad ripen into big things that are bad. And this applies to decisions.” — W. Clement Stone
74. “In reality, we should all take the time to look at where we are and accept that we are exactly where we are by means of our own decisions.” — Mary White
75. “If you take too long in deciding what to do with your life, you’ll find you’ve done it.” — George Bernard Shaw
76. “You begin to build a better life by being determined to make good decisions, but that alone is not enough. You need to know what priorities to set for your life.” — John C. Maxwell
77. “Memory is the cornerstone of our existence. It determines the quality of our decisions and, therefore, our entire life!” — Kevin Horsley
78. “The rush of fresh inspiration is a powerful high. So powerful that it can impair your insight and decision making if you focus only on how an idea makes you feel.” — Annabel Melnyk
79. “When we make a decision to turn our attention, thoughts and meditation on the Lord, faith is activated and hope restored.” — Lisa Cook
80. “When I made the decision to do something for myself, to follow a dream, I gave myself permission. It was a baby step, but it was a step in the right direction.” — Willow Cross
Decision Quotes On Why Making The Right One Matters
81. “It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” — Tony Robbins
82. “Your life changes the moment you make a new, congruent, and committed decision.” — Anthony Robbins
83. “Life is filled with difficult decisions, and winners are those who make them.” — Dan Brown
84.“All the paths kneel before the decisive minds!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
85. “Our lives will depend upon the decisions which we make, for decisions determine destiny.” ― Thomas S. Monson
86. “Choices made, whether bad or good, follow you forever and affect everyone in their path one way or another.” ― J.E.B. Spredemann
87. “Starting to live a life that you control begins with making decisions about goals.” — Yaniv Shlomo
88. “Nothing happens until you decide. Make a decision and watch your life move forward.” — Oprah Winfrey
89. “The cure for most obstacles is – be decisive.” ― George Weinberg
90. “You make your decisions. Your decisions make you.” ― Abiodun Fijabi
Decision Quotes To Help You Consider The Appropriate Decision
91. “When making a decision of minor importance, I have always found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons.” — Sigmund Freud
92. “We may think that our decisions are guided purely by logic and rationality, but our emotions always play a role in our good decision making process.” — Salma Stockdale
93. “YOU decide what your limits are, and YOU decide your level of success. You are responsible for the time that you spend on this planet.” — Les Brown
94. “If you have a decision to make, list down the pain points of doing it and the pleasures of doing it.” — Romuald Andrade
95. “The most important thing is to make decisions. Whether the decision is right or wrong is secondary. You will soon receive feedback that will help you to progress.” — Marc Reklau
96. “It does not take much strength to do things, but it requires a great deal of strength to decide what to do.” — Elbert Hubbard
97. “A decision isn’t a life long thing. Sometimes we make the wrong decision, but we can always change it if we realize we’ve made the wrong choice.” — Simon Smith
98. “Accountability for results requires room for personal judgment and decision-making.” — Brian Dive
99. “How you react to situations is your personal choice. It is your decision, and yours alone, to determine the importance you give to any situation.” — Catherine Pulsifer
100. “Great decision-making comes from the ability to create the time and space to think rationally and intelligently about the issue at hand.” — Graham Allcot
What do you think of these decision quotes?
When we realize the power of decisions, and those of others, we grow to feel greater influence and authority over our own lives.
We learn that if we don’t like a choice, we have the power to change it.
While change might be gradual, we have decided to start moving in another direction.
We have decided not to accept the decisions of others, and make choices that are right for ourselves
April 14, 2019 at 8:21 AM
Great pieces. Thanks for sharing.
Dr. Nikki Martinez
April 28, 2019 at 4:11 PM
You are very welcome. Thank you for reading. – Dr. Nikki Martinez