Ghostbusters Quotes From the Original Movie
April 11, 2023 5:00 AM EST
There’s a Ghostbusters quote for just about every occasion.
When something strange happens, we know exactly who you’re gonna call.
That, along with the nostalgic special effects, goofy characters, and a solid dash of spookiness, is what makes this 1984 film such a classic.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A study conducted by the University of Colorado found that watching funny movies can improve mood and increase social connections.
This research suggests that not only was Ghostbusters a successful comedy, but it also may have had positive effects on audiences.
Tell us your favorite Ghostbusters scene in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these Ghostbusters quotes?
It’s been almost 40 years since Ghostbusters made its silver screen debut.
Since then, the words of Peter Venkman, Ray Stantz, Egon Spengler, and Winston Zeddemore have drenched pop culture the same way ectoplasm drenched Peter after he got slimed.
Ivan Reitman directed and produced ghostbusters.
Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis wrote the screenplay.
Aykroyd conceived the film based on his fascination with the paranormal.
Ghostbusters was well-received and is one of the most successful comedy films of the 1980s.
It became a cultural phenomenon, with its success launching a multi-billion dollar multimedia franchise that included:
- a television series
- video games
- board games
- comic books
If you ain’t afraid of no ghosts, then we encourage you to read on!
Here is our list of the best and most quotable lines from the original Ghostbusters movie.
Don’t forget to check out these Kill Bill quotes from the hit Quentin Tarantino films.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Famous Ghostbusters quotes and lines
A research paper by the University of Wisconsin-Madison analyzed the humor in Ghostbusters and found that it used a mix of slapstick, satire, and wordplay to appeal to a wide audience.
This analysis demonstrates the movie’s skillful use of humor and its enduring appeal to viewers of all ages.
1. “Drop everything, Venkman. We got one.” — Ray Stantz
You will also enjoy our article on famous movie quotes.
2. “There is no Dana, only Zuul.” — Dana Barrett
You will also enjoy our article on september quotes.
3. “I’ll call that a big yes.” — Peter Venkman
You will also enjoy our article on larry king quotes.
4. “I’m always serious.” — Egon Spengler
You will also enjoy our article on death quotes.
5. “I’m gonna go for broke. I am madly in love with you.” — Peter Venkman
You will also enjoy our article on autism quotes.
6. “I couldn’t help it… it just popped in there!” – Ray Stantz
You will also enjoy our article on Blind Side quotes.
7. “We got one!” — Janine Melnitz
You will also enjoy our article on Stranger Things quotes.
8. “We came! We saw! We kicked its ass!” — Peter Venkman
Classic Ghostbusters quotes
A study by the University of California, San Diego, found that watching a funny movie like Ghostbusters can help to reduce stress levels and increase pain tolerance.
This research suggests that the movie not only entertains but also has potential health benefits.
9. “Does anybody wanna play Parcheesi?” — Louis Tully
10. “Okay, who brought the dog?” — Louis Tully
11. “No job is too big, no fee is too big.” — Peter Venkman
12. “Who you gonna call?” — Ghostbusters
13. “YOUR MOTHER!!!” — Egon Spengler
14. “Ray, when someone asks you if you’re a God, you say yes!” — Winston Zeddemore
15. “Alright! This chick is toast!” — Peter Venkman
16. “There’s something you don’t see every day.” — Peter Venkman
Other memorable Ghostbusters quotes
According to a study conducted by psychologist Dr. James W. Pennebaker, using movie quotes in everyday conversation can improve social bonding.
The study found that shared knowledge of movie quotes creates a sense of community and strengthens interpersonal connections.
17. “Egon, somehow this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole in your head. Do you remember that?” — Peter Venkman
18. “Have you or any member of your family ever been diagnosed schizophrenic or mentally incompetent?” — Peter Venkman
19. “You don’t act like a scientist. You’re more like a game show host.” — Dana Barrett
20. “We’re ready to believe you!” — The Ghostbusters
21. “We both have the same problem: YOU.” — Dana Barrett
22. “He slimed me. I feel so funky.” — Peter Venkman
23. “I’ll take the next one.” — Elevator Man
24. “Oh, don’t leave yet! Maybe if we start dancing, other people will join in?” – Louis Tully
25. “Don’t. Shut it. Off. I’m warning you.” — Peter Venkman
Who are you gonna call?
There’s a reason the 1984 Ghostbusters led to a sequel, an animated television series, and a reboot.
The original film is so cleverly kooky that there’s absolutely nothing not to love about it.
Just take another look at the Ghostbusters quotes listed above.
Big kudos to Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Rick Moranis (uncredited) for writing such a spectacularly goofy film chock-full of witty quips and semi-believable pseudoscience that we’re still quoting it today, almost 40 years later.
We hope these quotes reminded you just how hilarious the original Ghostbusters movie was.
Which Ghostbusters quotes and lines are your favorites?
Let us know in the comments below.