These Gladiator quotes will bring back the excitement you felt while watching the movie.
The movie Gladiator, starring Russell Crowe as Maximus, was released in 2000. If you missed the movie, or need a recap, it’s a thrilling movie of revenge.
Maximus is a Roman General that has led his soldiers into victory. The emperor wants Maximus to take over his position instead of his own son, Commodus.
This doesn’t go over well when Commodus hears this. He kills his father and eventually the wife and son of Maximus, who ends up being sold as a slave and trained as a Gladiator. The story follows his quest for revenge on Commodus.
Also, check out these famous movie quotes from your favorite characters.
Gladiator Quotes from Maximus
1. “I think you’ve been afraid all your life.” – Maximus
2. “What we do in life…..echoes in eternity.” – Maximus
3. “Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear.” – Maximus
4. “Imagine where you will be, and it will be so.” – Maximus
5. “I think you’ve been afraid all your life.” – Maximus
6. “Why don’t they know they’re already dead?” – Maximus
7. “Ancestors, I honor you and will try to live with the dignity that you have taught me.” – Maximus
8. “I am a slave! What possible difference can I make?” – Maximus
9. “I’ve seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.” – Maximus
10. “Marcus Aurelius had a dream that was Rome. This is not it. This is not it!” – Maximus
Gladiator Quotes from Commodus
11. “All I’ve ever wanted was to live up to you, Caesar. Father.” – Commodus
12. “You loved my father, I know. But so did I. That makes us brothers, doesn’t it? Smile for me now, brother.” – Commodus
13. “If they lie to me, they don’t respect me. If they don’t respect me, how can they ever love me?” – Commodus
14. “How dare you show your back to me! Slave, you will remove your helmet and tell me your name.” – Commodus
15. “I will give the people the greatest vision of their lives.” – Commodus
16. “He sleeps so well because he’s loved.” – Commodus
17. “A general who became a slave. A slave who became a gladiator. A gladiator who defied an emperor. Striking story! But now, the people want to know how the story ends. Only a famous death will do. And what could be more glorious than to challenge the Emperor himself in the great arena?” – Commodus
Also, check out these motivational wrestling quotes that will inspire you to never give up.
Gladiator Quotes from Proximo
18. “You should see the Colosseum Spaniard. Fifty-thousand Romans… watching every movement of your sword… willing you to make that killer blow. The silence before you strike and the noise afterwards. It rises. It rises up… like a storm. As if you were the thunder god himself.” – Proximo
19. “Ultimately, we are all dead men. Sadly we cannot choose how but we can decide how we meet that end in order that we are remembered as men.” – Proximo
20. “Gladiators… I salute you.” – Proximo
21. “We are nothing but dust and shadows. Dust and shadows!” – Proximo
Gladiator Quotes from Marcus Aurelius
22. “You have proven your valor once again, Maximus. Let us hope for the last time.” – Marcus Aurelius
24. “How will the world speak my name in years to come? Will I be known as the philosopher? The warrior? The tyrant? Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self? There was once a dream that was Rome.” – Marcus Aurelius
25. “Commodus. Your faults as a son is my failure as a father.” – Marcus Aurelius
26. “When was the last time you were home?” – Marcus Aurelius
More Gladiator Quotes
27. “You have a great name. He must kill your name before he kills you.” – Juba
28. “Fear and wonder, a powerful combination.” – Gracchus
29. “Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome.” – Lucilla
30. “People should know when they’re conquered.” – Quintus
31. “1. Win the crowd, win your freedom.” – Gladiator
32. “Anyone can train to be a gladiator. What marks you out is having the mindset of a champion.” – Manu Bennett
33. “If you are a gladiator, a fighter in this sport, in life you can be the same.” – Claudio Ranieri
Gladiator quotes that put you in the middle of Rome and the Colosseum
34. “At my signal, unleash hell.” — Maximus
35. “I am required to kill, so I kill. That is enough.” — Maximus
36. “I wonder, did your friend smile at his own death?” — Commodus
37. “You know dirt cleans off a lot easier than blood, Quintus.” — Maximus
38. “He enters Rome like a conquering hero. But what has he conquered?” — Commodus
39. “Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to.” — Cicero
40. “Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?” — Maximus
41. “I don’t pretend to be a man of the people. But I do try to be a man for the people.” — Gracchus
42. “Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so.” — Maximus
43. “Whatever comes out of these gates, we’ve got a better chance of survival if we work together. Do you understand? If we stay together, we survive.” — Maximus
Gladiator quotes to contemplate on
44. “There is always someone left to fight.” ― Gracchus
45. “I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob, conjure magic for them and they will be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they’ll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate it’s the sand of the Colosseum. He will bring them death and they will love him for it.” ― Gracchus
46. “There was once a dream that was Rome. You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish, it was so fragile.” ― Marcus Aurelius
47. “Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear.” — Maximus
48. “I’m a soldier. I obey.” — Quintus
49. “The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end. Highness.” ― Maximus
50. “My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius. Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.” ― Maximus
51. “I want you to become the protector of Rome after I die. I will empower you to one end alone, to give power back to the people of Rome and end the corruption that has crippled it. Do you accept this great honor that I have offered you?” ― Marcus Aurelius
52. Yes, you can help me… Forget you ever knew me, and never come back here again. ― Maximus
53. “Your Emperor asks for your loyalty, Maximus. Take my hand, I only offer it once.” ― Commodus
Did these Gladiator quotes inspire you to fight?
Watching the movie and reading through the quotes above can leave you feeling ready to fight for justice. If you’re ready to take action, look for an area that you can invest your time and energy to serve in.
Hopefully, it’s not going to be a fight to the death as a Gladiator. But it could be for something like social justice, animal conservation, or feeding hungry children.
Movies and writers have a way of stirring up emotion in us that makes us want to do something. Tap into that energy and find a cause that you care about to invest in.
Did you enjoy these Gladiator quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 31, 2022 5:00 AM EST