Love participating in or watching wrestling? If so, you’ll definitely enjoy these wrestling quotes.
When people think of sports many don’t think about wrestling, but it’s one of the oldest sports in the world. The ancient Greeks were known for training in physical activity such as wrestling. And it’s not just a sport that can keep you physically active and healthy, it’s also something that can help you mentally too.
There are life lessons that can be learned from the sport. And many wrestlers share about the character lessons that they learned from participating.
If you’re in the sport, you’ll really enjoy the following wrestling quotes and sayings. And if you don’t know about it, these quotes will help you gain a better understanding of the sport.
Also check out these motivational Joe Rogan quotes to help you dream big.
Wrestling quotes about life
1. “Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.” – Dan Gable
2. “No activity I know is more of a confidence builder and at the same time more ‘humility training’ than wrestling.” – Jim Leach
3. “When you’re wrestling with life and/or yourself and getting the beat down, don’t forget to tag God in!” – Jagadeesh Kumar
4. “Wrestling has been a way of life with me day in and day out. I won’t get too far away from it. I might walk through the wrestling room once a week. I could go every day if I wanted. But just walk through, make sure it’s still there.” – Dan Gable
5. “This is a sport (wrestling) that has turned many boys into men and many men into leaders. And it is a sport in which you can be a giant regardless of how big you are.” – Carl Albert
6. “The sport of wrestling is a tremendous builder of the values and characteristics which are needed to succeed in any walk of life. Much of what I have managed to achieve in life I owe directly to the years I spent in the wrestling room, as an athlete and a coach. Wrestling is a great educational tool.” – Dennis Hastert
Professional wrestling quotes
7. “Wrestling is not an action; it is a sport.” – Anushka Sharma
8. “Wrestling needs to be about the art form again. It needs to be about painting a picture and having a really good match.” – Terry Gene Bollea
9. “I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” – Socrates
10. “Wrestling and acting couldn’t be any more different in terms of what it takes to entertain. Wrestling is explosion, acting is implosion. One really screws up the other.” – Roddy Piper
Insightful wrestling quotes
11. “Take a strong wrestler, get them tired, and they aren’t as strong. Take a quick wrestler, get them tired, and they aren’t as quick. Take a technical wrestler, get them tired, and they aren’t as technical. No matter what kind of wrestler, get them tired, and they aren’t as technical. No matter what kind of wrestler, everyone is afraid of getting tired. It’s those who learn to perform when they’re tired that find success.” – Jay Robinson
12. “Wrestling is ballet with violence.” – Jesse Ventur
13. “No exercise brings into play all the muscles of the body in a more thorough manner, and none is more interesting than wrestling. He will find no other exercise more valuable in the cultivation of faculties which will help him to success in agility, strength, determination, coolness, and quick exercise of judgment.” – Hugh Leonard
14. “Wrestling teaches you nothing comes easy. Nothing in life comes easy, so you have to work at it.” – Mike Sullivan
15. “In order to become a wrestler, one should have the strength of a weight-lifter, the agility of an acrobat, the endurance of a runner and the tactical mind of a chess master.” – Alexander Medved
16. “Wrestling will be around forever. It’s been around thousands of years. It’s going to be around till the end of time.” – Mark Schultz
17. “More enduringly than any other sport, wrestling teaches self-control and pride. Some have wrestled without great skill – none have wrestled without pride.” – Dan Gable
18. “The only things that matters in wrestling are your teeth and your testicles. Anything else, keep wrestling, stop whining.” – Gary Dierks
19. “Wrestling’s a form of expression, and it expresses vastness.” – John Darnielle
Also check out these Manny Pacquiao quotes for when you are feeling down and out.
Wrestling quotes about success
20. “To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you’re not, pretend you are.” – Muhammad Ali
21. “Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration, and inspiration.” – Evan Esar
22. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.” – Vince Lombardi
23. “Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” – Dan Gable
24. “Everyone has the fire, but the champions know when to ignite the spark.” – Amit Ray
25. “A lot of my intensity in wrestling was due to my mental preparation before the matches. I got myself into a different world.” – Dan Gable
26. “Winning is the science of being totally prepared.” – George Allen
27. “Never stop fighting till the fight is done!” – Elliot Ness
28. “Anybody can win the matches you can dominate, but it’s the tough matches that are going to make the difference.” – Jim Zalesky
29. “There’s a lot of blood, sweat, and guts between dreams and success.” – Bear Bryant
30. “Grappling with fate is like meeting an expert wrestler: to escape, you have to accept the fall when you are thrown. The only thing that counts is whether you get back up.” – Deng Ming-Dao
31. “But it’s the wrestler who can put the fatigue out of his mind and break through the ‘wall’, like a marathon runner after 18 or 20 miles, who will survive. The key to that survival is in hard workouts that develop mental confidence to the point where you won’t submit to fatigue and pain descending upon you.”- Lou Banach
32. “If you’re afraid to fail, you’ll never succeed.” – Dan Gable
33. “If you can wrestle but not play Jiu-Jitsu, or you can play Jiu-Jitsu but not wrestle, you are not a complete grappler and lack the sufficient skills to safely subdue an opponent.” – Chris Matakas
34. “I can take anyone down at anytime; they can’t take me down; no one can ride or turn me; I can control anyone.” – Dan Gable
35. “In Mongolian culture, Khutulun is remembered by the sport in which she so excelled. These days when Mongolian men wrestle, they wear a sort of long-sleeved vest that is open in the front to prove tp their opponents they don’t have breasts. It’s a tribute to the woman wrestler who was never defeated.” – Linda Rodriquez
More wrestling quotes and sayings
36. “When the day comes when you don’t believe in yourself, there’s the door. Get the hell out! ” – John Cena
37. “There’s no drama like wrestling.” – Kane
38. “Success isn’t always about greatness, it’s about consistency…” – The Rock
39. “There are things you don’t do in life. You don’t tug on superman’s cape…” – Roman Reigns
40. “I forgot how it feel like to have the top of my foot hurt so bad from kicking people on the face…” – Randy Orton
41. “Nobody remembers second place” – John Cena
42. “Everything I do is to become better, the best ever and I’m not going to stop.” – Dolph Ziggler
43. “If your goal isn’t to be on top, then you don’t deserve to be here ” – Big E Langston
44. “Blood, sweat and respect. The first two you give. The last you earn. Give it. Earn it.” – The Rock
45. “If Shakespeare was alive today he would be writing wrestling shows” – Chris Jericho
46. “Wrestling is a universal language. The moves, the facial expressions, most people understand.” – Shinsuke Nakamura
Which of these wrestling quotes is your favorite?
As you can see, there are many different aspects to wrestling. While some people think of professional wrestling as pure acting, there is a lot more than that to the sport. And there are plenty of athletes that participate in wrestling from grade school through college and elite athletes even compete at the Olympics.
Wrestling is a part of sport history around the world all the way back to ancient times. It’s something that we can all learn from even if we have never had a chance to participate in it. It’s a test of not only strength and physique but also strategy and stamina.
Did you enjoy these wrestling quotes and sayings? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
August 10, 2020 6:11 AM EST