Put some beauty in your life with these dark goth quotes.
What is goth?
Goths are not sad people who lack humanity; instead, they find joy and humor in life in what is known as black comedy.
They are not unhappy because they think about dark things; they are happy because dark things inspire them.
The goth culture celebrates intelligence, romance, and artistry.
People inspired by goth culture are often free thinkers.
Check out our awesomely dark goth quotes and find inspiration in things you had not considered before.
Short Goth Quotes
1. “I had a gothic phase, and now I’m more edgy chic.” – Ashley Benson
2. “Your darkest secret can be someone else’s desired wish.” – Anonymous
3. “Before that, I wanted to be a magazine illustrator – I probably would have painted Gothic scenes.” – Ira Levin
4. “I’m not really into gothic music.” – Richard Fleeshman
5. “Ellie, would you frolic in the land of forever with me?” – Rae Hachton
6. “I have a, shall we say, morbid personality.” – Novala Takemoto
7. “She wondered if he kept a pair of calipers to measure his guests’ skulls.” – Silvia Moreno-Garcia
8. “Blood and oil. It’s on both our hands.” – Abigail C. Edwards
9. “Love destroys people. It’s emotional heroin.” – Benjamin Haymond
10. “Southern Gothic is alive and well. It’s not just a genre; it is a way of life.” — Greg Iles
Gothic Quotes about Cathedrals & Churches
Gothic cathedrals and churches are marvels of human craftsmanship.
11. “A Gothic church is a petrified religion.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
12. “I wanted to keep a Gothic cathedral alive in my heart.” — Susan Vreeland
13. “The Gothic cathedral is a blossoming in stone subdued by the insatiable demand of harmony in man.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. “Most buildings, whether they’re Gothic cathedrals or Romanesque ones, were high tech for their time.” — Richard Rogers
15. “I love the description of Gothic churches before the printed word, that they were the bibles of the poor.” — John McGahern
16. “These old ballparks are like cathedrals in America. We don’t have big old Gothic cathedrals like they do in Europe. But we got baseball parks.” — Jimmy Buffett
17. “But now I know that it is very important that all buildings should be consistent, that this is the quality of the Gothic cathedral, for instance, that we like.” — Minoru Yamasaki
18. “Yet for my part, deeply as I am moved by the religious architecture of the Middle Ages, I cannot honestly say that I ever felt the slightest emotion in any modern Gothic church.” — Goldwin Smith
19. “All the great works of art, the cathedrals – the Gothic cathedrals and the splendid Baroque churches – are a luminous sign of God, and thus are truly a manifestation, an epiphany of God.” — Pope Benedict XVI
20. “The lofty gothic ceiling arched far above my head, and through the stained windows, the light came but dimly – it was all still, solemn and religious.” — Bayard Taylor
Goth Quotes About Love
21. “Love destroys people. It’s emotional heroin. Not that I know much about shooting up.” – Benjamin Haymond
22. “What a pair we are, intrinsically broken but tied to one another by desire and death.” – Sylvia Day
23. “I have told you, reader, that I have learned to love Mr.Rochester. I could not unlove him now.” – Charlotte Brontë
24. “Love is a hole in the heart.” – Ben Hecht
25. “For me, black is not dark; it’s poetic. I don’t think of gothic I think of classic – it’s a big difference.” — Ann Demeulemeester
26. “Mine first –mine last– mine even in the grave!” – Louisa May Alcott
27. “Emotions don’t interfere in my acting, nor in my life.” – Simona Panova
28. “Everybody is equally weak on the inside, just that some present their ruins as new castles and become kings.” – Simona Panova
29. “I envy people that know love. That have someone who takes them as they are.” – Jess C Scott
30. “When her mind was discomposed… a book was the opiate that lulled it to repose.” – Ann Radcliffe
Goth Quotes About Life
31. “Can there be a love which does not make demands on its object?” – Confucius
32. “I am drawn to Americana, and I am drawn to gothic stories, and I love American gothic stories.” ― Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
33. “I never really wanted to die. But I followed through anyway. The pain in my heart was excruciating, and death was beautiful.” – Rae Hachton
34. “Can you look at this brilliant wound?” – Keishi Ando
35. “All good things in life are fragile and easily lost.” – Khaled Hosseini
36. “I don’t know what the opposite is of the Midas touch, but you shitbirds have it.” – Michael Zarocostas
37. “I wouldn’t consider myself Goth, but I love Gothic pieces.” – Tyson Chandler
38. “You see the world in colors; I see in Black and Red.” – Irum Zahra
39. “I was never able to accept anyone else’s support but my own.” – Simona Panova
40. “Here are some of the criteria I have used to decide what makes an equation great.” – Dana Mackenzie
Gothic Quotes About Gothic Literary Genres
41. “I do enjoy Gothic fiction or books about zombies if they are well written, and I like vampires.” — Roddy Doyle
42. “One futuristic novel that had a huge impact on me was Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein,’ which is kind of science fiction plus Gothic.” — Jennifer Egan
43. “I like to spoof the original Gothic classics, so there is also a good dose of comedy in the ‘Parasol Protectorate’ – giggling readers are good.” — Gail Carriger
44. “I found ‘The Face Of Another’ by Kobo Abe disappointing despite the excellent, gothic premise: a man who’s terrible facial scarring leads him to create a perfect mask.” — Emma Healey
45. “‘Crimson’ is written in a very particular style, and it’s very precise in how it graduates into a gothic romance. The souls that will connect with it will connect deeply.” — Guillermo del Toro
46. “Preacher is a book that somehow allows me time by settling on its characters, that sort of modern gothic western feel. You’re not likely to see the boat veering too far from that.” — Garth Ennis
47. “Often in gothic novels, there’s a large house, an estate, and it’s symbolic of that culture. Usually, it’s sort of moldering or rotted or something, and sometimes it’s a whole community.” — Joyce Carol Oates
48. “The 1890s was perhaps the most Gothic decade ever: ‘Dracula,’ ‘The Picture of Dorian Gray’ and ‘The Time Machine,’ not to mention ‘Heart of Darkness’ and ‘The Interpretation of Dreams,’ were all written between 1890 and 1899.” — Mark Fisher
49. “I mean here, not a property of the gothic novel but, to say the least, a palpable social reality that you in no way can control.” — Joseph Brodsky
Goth Quotes About Beauty
50. “I hate the word gothic, but I would like to try doing something like that. A gothic sound, not rock, but gothic. There’s a difference.” – Kelly Osbourne
51. “I loved fairy tales when I was a kid. Grimm. The grimmer, the better. I loved gruesome gothic tales and, in that respect, I liked Bible stories, because to me they were very gothic.” – Amy Tan
52. “We have all heard, beauty is skin deep. I think beauty reaches to the soul. Friends like you for you, not for what you wear or what you drive. We all need to look for the beauty within.” – Mark Hook
53. “Physical beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but inner beauty is something that shines from inside, and no one can deny it.” – Nishan Panwar
54. “Strange that the vanity which accompanies beauty – excusable, perhaps, when there is such great beauty, or at any rate understandable -should persist after the beauty was gone.” – Aristotle
55. “Your outer beauty keeps distracting me, and your inner beauty keeps attracting me.” – Terry Mark
56. “Indeed, in every life, there is some wound that continues to weep secretly, even after years of attempted healing.” – John O. Donohue
57. “Where woundedness can be refined into beauty, a wonderful transfiguration takes place.” – John O. Donohue
58. “Someone once told me, in all his infinite wisdom, beauty is only skin deep. I, of course, looked deeper, and found, where true beauty resides.” – Eric Nickel
Goth Quotes About Death
59. “It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom.” – Benjamin Britten
60. “Forget wishing; you’re missing the ambition of your mission.” – OutKast
61. “Love is merely a madness, and, I tell you, deserves as well a dark house and a whip as madmen do.” – William Shakespeare
62. “If you are a dream, then it is one from which I do not ever wish to be woken.” – Kathryn Ann Kingsley
63. “The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony.” – Benjamin Britten
64. “Some ghosts are so quiet you would hardly know they were there.” – Bernie Mcgill
65. “For the sake of your bright eyes, Jem Merlyn.” – Daphne du Maurier
66. “The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love.” – Benjamin Britten
67. “It hurt, and that is not a euphemism. It hurt like a beating.” – John Green
68. “It was enough to drive me mad. I was no longer myself, and yet I was so much more me than I had ever been before.” – Katherine Demure
69. “My wife and I battle over home decor. My style goes from Gothic to Baroque. Hers is minimalist.” ― Joe Bastianich
70. “Seldom is a Gothic head more beautiful than when broken.” ― Andre Malraux
71. “Below are some quotations along these lines. Select a quote for your Gothic Myspace layout or contribute one of your own.” ― Laura Ramirez
72. “What the world needs right now… a good, artistic, gothic, terrifying scare.” ― Iggy Pop
73. “Opera, next to Gothic architecture, is one of the strangest inventions of Western man. It could not have been foreseen by any logical process.” ― Kenneth Clark
74. “I love puffins. They are small, round gothic birds, and their babies are called pufflings.” ― Caitlin Moran
75. “As a kid, I was obsessed with myths and legends and the haunting beauty of gothic stories.” ― Nathan Parsons
76. “Adrianne Harun’s dark, mysterious novel is by turns Gothic and grittily realistic, astute and poetic in its evocation of evil everywhere.” ― Andrea Barrett
What did you learn from these goth quotes?
Goths are social, happy, creative, and intellectual people.
Goth culture can inspire people who do not identify as goth enthusiasts.
Even NBA basketball player Tyson Chandler once shared, “I wouldn’t consider myself Goth, but I love Gothic pieces.”
Goth is not about wearing makeup and black clothing.
Some say that Goth people are introverts and keep to themselves; others say they are depressed and obsessed with death.
Both are stereotypes.
Goth is a perspective for one to look through.
It is a window where a person can find beauty in the most challenging situations or conditions.
A gothic worldview encourages determination and strength in the face of adversity.
Goth people can be unique and individual, like any other subculture.
Stereotyping any group or subgroup is irresponsible.
Teenagers often subscribe to goth culture because they want a place to express themselves.
Which of these goth quotes and sayings is your favorite?
Let us know in the comments below.