What is reality? Can you define it? Read through these good life quotes about living in reality. Some are beautiful, some are powerful, and some are short and sassy. All of them will help you find an answer to what is real.
I believe we each have an opportunity to create a world that reflects what we think to be real. After all, it is your life, and you are the only person who can decide how much work you are willing to dedicate to making something happen.
Reality is a word that is thrown around often when speaking of life and love, but is our understanding of these things limited by our human mind? A portion of these reality quotes definitely think so, while others will provide you with a witty retort for the realists and dreamers in your life. So, take a few minute hiatus from reality and get inspired!
Also check out these memorable Matrix quotes that will challenge your understanding of what is real and what is not.
Imagination and reality quotes
1. “I believe in everything until it’s disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say that dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as the here and now?”― John Lennon
2. “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll
3. “Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.”― John Lennon
4. “Closed in a room, my imagination becomes the universe, and the rest of the world is missing out.”― Criss Jami
5. “The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless.”― Jean-Jacques Rousseau
6. “Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.”― Mark Twain
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of imagination quotes that will inspire you to unleash the untapped treasures in your mind.
7. “The imaginary is what tends to become real.”― André Breton
Reality quotes on what real is
8. “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”― Albert Einstein
9. “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away.”― Philip K. Dick
10. “Reality is frequently inaccurate.”― Douglas Adams
11. “Reality is just a crutch for people who can’t handle drugs.”― Robin Williams
12. “Reality is not always probable, or likely.”― Jorge Luis Borges
13. “Reality is like a fruitcake; pretty enough to look at but with all sorts of nasty things lurking just beneath the surface.”― A. Lee Martinez
14. “Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn’t want to live there.”― Adam Young
15. “Reality is a cliché from which we escape by metaphor.”― Wallace Stevens
16. “Reality is crushing. The world is a wrong-sized shoe. How can anyone stand it?”― Jandy Nelson
17. “What if reality is nothing but some disease?”― Chuck Palahniuk
18. “Reality is a projection of your thoughts or the things you habitually think about.”― Stephen Richards
19. “Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.”― Jane Wagner
20. “Reality, however utopian, is something from which people feel the need of taking pretty frequent holidays….”― Aldous Huxley
Reality quotes on life and love
21. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”― Dr. Seuss
22. “We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”― Chuck Palahniuk
23. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.”― Lao Tzu
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of be real quotes celebrating the real you.
24. “Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.”― Soren Kierkegaard
25. “There is no reality except the one contained within us. That is why so many people live such an unreal life. They take the images outside of them for reality and never allow the world within to assert itself.”― Hermann Hesse
26. “Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.”― Arthur Conan Doyle
The human side of reality quotes
27. “It’s funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.”― Rick Riordan
28. “Scars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real.”― Cormac McCarthy
29. “Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.”― George Orwell
30. “Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.”― Frank Herbert
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of deep quotes that will change how you see the world.
31. “Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else. Not in the individual mind, which can make mistakes, and in any case soon perishes: only in the mind of the Party, which is collective and immortal.”― George Orwell
32. “The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.”― Robertson Davies
33. “Humankind cannot bear very much reality.”― T. S. Eliot
Reality quotes to use when faced with a “realist”
34. “One person’s craziness is another person’s reality.”― Tim Burton
35. “To really be a nerd, she’d decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.”― Rainbow Rowell
36. “We become slaves the moment we hand the keys to the definition of reality entirely over to someone else, whether it is a business, an economic theory, a political party, the White House, Newsworld or CNN.”― B. W. Powe
37. “Look at him now, poor fellow. That’s what a dose of reality does for you…Never touch the stuff myself, you understand. Find it gets in the way of the hallucinations.”― Alan Moore
38. “Fantasy was always only a reality waiting to be switched on.”― Joe Hill
39. “Sometimes fiction is more easily understood than true events. Reality is often pathetic.”― Young-ha Kim
40. “No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.”― Shirley Jackson
41. “Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then.”― Philip K. Dick
42. “Your opinion is not my reality.”― Steve Maraboli
43. “Cherish those who seek the truth but beware of those who find it.”― Voltaire
44. “If you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it’s not because they enjoy solitude. It’s because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.”― Jodi Picoult
45. “The more real you get the more unreal the world gets. ”― John Lennon
Reality quotes to use when faced with a “dreamer”
46. “You can’t just wish change; you have to live the change in order for it to become a reality.”― Steve Maraboli
47. “The realities of life do not allow themselves to be forgotten.”― Victor Hugo
48. “There is no point in using the word ‘impossible’ to describe something that has clearly happened.”― Douglas Adams
49. “The most confused you will ever get is when you try to convince your heart and spirit of something your mind knows is a lie.”― Shannon L. Alder
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of confused quotes about the ups and downs of life.
50. “Because an illusion is an illusion. Reality always exists despite the facade.”― Kasie West
What did you learn from these reality quotes?
Some people will tell you that in the real world, “you have to get a job,” or you have to “own a big house” or “drive a nice car.” If those things are what make up your reality, then get them! Just remember that someone else may have a different expectation for their life, and their existence may look different. In their imagination, they can picture an alternative answer when answering what reality is.
If there has been something that you have been dreaming of achieving, try looking at your reality from a different perspective. What tools do you need to make your dream come true? Can you learn a new skill and use it to create the life you dream of? I’m a firm believer that every one of us is just one decision away from living a different life.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these reality quotes and sayings? Which reality will you choose, drop a comment and let me know if one of these quotes inspired you to try something “unreal”.