Enjoy these Henry Kissinger quotes that will teach you about success.
Henry Kissinger is a very accomplished man that is a great example of hard work and determination having a greater influence on your life than your beginnings. You see Henry Kissinger was born in Nazi Germany but came to the United States in 1943.
From his humble beginnings, he later joined the Army and eventually graduated from Harvard. He then continued his career ascent as he became the United States Secretary of State and then the National Security Adviser, among other things.
Over his military and political career, Henry Kissinger has received many awards, medals, and he is still influential in politics today.
Don’t forget to also check out these wise JP Morgan quotes on success and life.
Henry Kissinger quotes on politics and government
1. “Diplomacy: the art of restraining power.” – Henry Kissinger
2. “Most foreign policies that history has marked highly, in whatever country, have been originated by leaders who were opposed by experts.” – Henry Kissinger
3. “You can’t make war in the Middle East without Egypt and you can’t make peace without Syria.” – Henry Kissinger
4. “For the greatest part of humanity and the longest periods of history, empire has been the typical mode of government.” – Henry Kissinger
5. “Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.” – Henry Kissinger
6. “No foreign policy – no matter how ingenious – has any chance of success if it is born in the minds of a few and carried in the hearts of none.” – Henry Kissinger
7. “I don’t see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist due to the irresponsibility of its people. The issues are much too important for the Chilean voters to be left to decide for themselves.” – Henry Kissinger
8. “The American temptation is to believe that foreign policy is a subdivision of psychiatry.” – Henry Kissinger
9. “It was a Greek tragedy. Nixon was fulfilling his own nature. Once it started it could not end otherwise.” – Henry Kissinger
10. “For other nations, utopia is a blessed past never to be recovered; for Americans, it is just beyond the horizon.” – Henry Kissinger
11. “The statesman’s duty is to bridge the gap between his nation’s experience and his vision.” – Henry Kissinger
12. “The issues are too important to be left for the voters.” – Henry Kissinger
13. “The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.” – Henry Kissinger
14. “University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.” – Henry Kissinger
15. “We are all the President’s men.” – Henry Kissinger
16. “Politicians are like dogs… Their life expectancy is too short for a commitment to be bearable.” – Henry Kissinger
Wise Henry Kissinger quotes
17. “In crises, the most daring course is often safest.” – Henry Kissinger
18. “Art is man’s expression of his joy in labor.” – Henry Kissinger
19. “Moderation is a virtue only in those who are thought to have an alternative.” – Henry Kissinger
20. “Accept everything about yourself – I mean everything, You are you and that is the beginning and the end – no apologies, no regrets.” – Henry Kissinger
21. “Any fact that needs to be disclosed should be put out now or as quickly as possible because otherwise, the bleeding will not end.” – Henry Kissinger
22. “Whatever must happen ultimately should happen immediately.” – Henry Kissinger
23. “If you don’t know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.” – Henry Kissinger
24. “Even a paranoid can have enemies.” – Henry Kissinger
25. “It is not a matter of what is true that counts, but a matter of what is perceived to be true.” – Henry Kissinger
26. “If it’s going to come out eventually, better have it come out immediately.” – Henry Kissinger
Henry Kissinger quotes about success
27. “Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem.” – Henry Kissinger
28. “If eighty percent of your sales come from twenty percent of all of your items, just carry those twenty percent.” – Henry Kissinger
29. “Americans have a tendency to believe that when there’s a problem there must be a solution.” – Henry Kissinger
30. “Leaders must invoke an alchemy of great vision.” – Henry Kissinger
31. “Don’t be too ambitious. Do the most important thing you can think of doing every year and then your career will take care of itself.” – Henry Kissinger
32. “Empires have no interest in operating within an international system; they aspire to be the international system.” – Henry Kissinger
33. “A leader who confines his role to his people’s experience dooms himself to stagnation; a leader who outstrips his people’s experience runs the risk of not being understood.” – Henry Kissinger
34. “The task of the leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been.” – Henry Kissinger
35. “A diamond is a chunk of coal that did well under pressure.” – Henry Kissinger
36. “Every victory is only the price of admission to a more difficult problem.” – Henry Kissinger
More Henry Kissinger quotes
37. “The nice thing about being a celebrity is that, if you bore people, they think it’s their fault.” – Henry Kissinger
38. “Leaders are responsible not for running public opinion polls but for the consequences of their actions.” – Henry Kissinger
39. “If I should ever be captured, I want no negotiation – and if I should request a negotiation from captivity they should consider that a sign of duress.” – Henry Kissinger
40. “Covert action should not be confused with missionary work.” – Henry Kissinger
41. “Behind the slogans lay an intellectual vacuum.” – Henry Kissinger
42. “No country can act wisely simultaneously in every part of the globe at every moment of time.” – Henry Kissinger
43. “High office teaches decision making, not substance. It consumes intellectual capital; it does not create it. Most high officials leave office with the perceptions and insights with which they entered; they learn how to make decisions but not what decisions to make.” – Henry Kissinger
44. “Blessed are the people whose leaders can look destiny in the eye without flinching but also without attempting to play God.” – Henry Kissinger
45. “There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.” – Henry Kissinger
46. “Power is the great aphrodisiac.” – Henry Kissinger
47. “It is, after all, the responsibility of the expert to operate the familiar and that of the leader to transcend it.” – Henry Kissinger
48. “The Vietnam War required us to emphasize the national interest rather than abstract principles. What President Nixon and I tried to do was unnatural. And that is why we didn’t make it.” – Henry Kissinger
49. “I am being frank about myself in this book. I tell of my first mistake on page 850.” – Henry Kissinger
50. “The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.” – Henry Kissinger
What did you learn from these Henry Kissinger quotes?
As the quotes above show, Henry Kissinger is a man of intelligence and ambition. Throughout his life, he has continued to accomplish things regardless of the circumstances.
One of the reasons Henry Kissinger has been so successful is his focus on the basics. He may have said it in a different manner, but it is better to focus on less and be successful than try to accomplish everything and succeed in nothing.
Although some historians have different opinions of Mr. Kissinger, his drive and intelligence have allowed him to be influential in politics and business for many years. Henry Kissinger is a man worth learning about.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Henry Kissinger quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
January 7, 2021 7:00 AM EST