These curated list of political quotes will help you see the world from a different perspective.
In today’s political climate, it can be easy to fall into the trap and start to think in a perspective of “us verses them.” But the reality is that voters are a spectrum of individuals who all have thoughts, fears, dreams, and life experiences that influence their opinions, just like you and me.
The media likes to focus on the radicals and make it look as though every republican believes in this or that every liberal believes in that. The reality is that most people have opinions that fall on both sides of the spectrum and that the radicals are few and far between.
The best thing for voters to do is to pay attention to the issues that matter most to them and to research those topics thoroughly. Many people forget to do this and end up basing their votes on party affiliation without stopping to think how they really feel on a matter first.
The political quotes below come from members of the most popular political parties. Read the quotes and try to see the world from a different perspective. Think not about which party each quote comes from, but how you feel on the topic regardless of your affiliation. Who knows, some quotes may surprise you.
Also read these insightful Elizabeth Warren quotes on capitalism, politics and more.
Political quotes from Conservatives
1. “The balance of our population, our human stock is threatened.” – Sir Keith Joseph
2. “People are really rather afraid that this country might be rather swamped by people with a different culture.” – Margaret Thatcher (see more Margaret Thatcher quotes)
3. “If higher unemployment is the price, we have to pay in order to bring inflation down, then it is a price worth paying.” – Norman Lamont
4. “There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families.” – Margaret Thatcher
5. “We must be mad, literally mad, as a nation to be permitting the annual inflow of some 50,000 dependents, who are for the most part the material of the future growth of the immigrant descended population. It is like watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own funeral pyre.” – Enoch Powell
6. “I feel I have had a very interesting life, but I am rather hoping there is still more to come. I still haven’t captained the England cricket team or sung at Carnegie Hall!”- Jeffrey Archer
7. “I’m also very much aware that it is you who brought democracy to Chile, you set up a constitution suitable for democracy, you put it into effect, elections were held, and then, in accordance with the result, you stepped down.” – Margaret Thatcher
8. “My dad didn’t riot. He got on his bike and looked for work” – Norman Tebbit
9. “If gay marriage was OK … then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men; or indeed three men and a dog.” – Boris Johnson
Political quotes from Liberals
10. “It is a well-known fact that reality has liberal bias.” ― Stephen Colbert
11. “I believe in a relatively equal society, supported by institutions that limit extremes of wealth and poverty. I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it.” ― Paul Krugman
12. “Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”― Bertrand Russell
13. “I think being a liberal, in the true sense, is being nondoctrinaire, nondogmatic, non-committed to a cause – but examining each case on its merits” – Walter Cronkite
14. “If by a “Liberal” they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a “Liberal”, then I’m proud to say I’m a “Liberal.” ― John F. Kennedy
15. “The conservatives are fools: They whine about the decay of traditional values, yet they enthusiastically support technological progress and economic growth. Apparently, it never occurs to them that you can’t make rapid, drastic changes in the technology and the economy of a society without causing rapid changes in all other aspects of the society as well, and that such rapid changes inevitably break down traditional values.” ― Theodore J. Kaczynski
16. “This is my country, that is your country; these are the conceptions of narrow souls – to the liberal minded the whole world is a family.” ― Virchand Raghavji Gandhi
17. “A liberal knows that the only certainty in this life is change but believes that the change can be directed toward a constructive end.” ― Henry Wallace
18. “If there was a reason why he preferred the liberal tendency to the conservative one (also held to by many of his circle), it was not because he found the liberal tendency more sensible, but it more closely suited his manner of life.” ― Leo Tolstoy
19. “It does strange things to you to realize that the conservative establishment is forcing you to be a progressive liberal fighter for universal rights.” ― Brandon Sanderson
20. “That liberty [is pure] which is to go to all, and not to the few or the rich alone. (to Horatio Gates, 1798)” ― Thomas Jefferson
21. “There is danger in speaking so generally about “liberalism,” a danger that has often plagued feminist debates. “Liberalism” is not a single position but a family of positions; Kantian liberalism is profoundly different from classical Utilitarian liberalism, and both of these from the Utilitarianism currently dominant in neoclassical economics.” ― Martha C. Nussbaum
Also check out these insightful Andrew Yang quotes from the former 2020 Democratic candidate.
Political quotes from Authoritarians
22. “If you are for gun control, then you are not against guns, because the guns will be needed to disarm people. So, it’s not that you are anti-gun. You’ll need the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns. So, you’re very pro-gun; you just believe that only the Government (which is, of course, so reliable, honest, moral and virtuous…) should be allowed to have guns. There is no such thing as gun control. There is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small political elite and their minions.” ― Stefan Molyneux
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of gun violence quotes that illustrate both sides of this social issue.
23. “No voice is so loud that it can demand that I listen to it.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
24. “Authoritarian politicians cast their rivals as criminal, subversive, unpatriotic, or a threat to national security or the existing way of life.” ― Steven Levitsky
25. “The authoritarian character worships the past. What has been, will eternally be. To wish or to work for something that has not yet been before is crime or madness. The miracle of creation—and creation is always a miracle—is outside of his range of emotional experience.” ― Erich Fromm
26. “Beware the nation in which one-man rules, for it is a nation of slaves.” ― Simón Bolívar
27. “Dictatorships foster oppression, dictatorships foster servitude, dictatorships foster cruelty; more abominable is the fact that they foster idiocy.” ― Jorge Luis Borges
28. “Closed systems that thrive on control that is managed with sticks and carrots can’t help but fail the people they claim to protect.” ― Ed Cyzewski
29. “The people in charge can always justify doing terrible things in the name of the greater good. A slaughter here, a little torture there. It becomes moral to do things that would be immoral if an ordinary individual did ’em.” ― Joe Hill
30. “The problem is not religion or God. The actual problem is authoritarianism, mixed with the desire to angrily impose one’s personal apparently idealistic beliefs on others.” ― Abhijit Naskar
Political quotes from Libertarians
31. “I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.” ― Robert Frost
32. “I love my country, not my government.” ― Jesse Ventura
33. “That’s libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson
34. “But let me offer you my definition of social justice: I keep what I earn, and you keep what you earn. Do you disagree? Well then tell me how much of what I earn belongs to you – and why?” ― Walter E. Williams
35. “Libertarianism holds that the only proper role of violence is to defend person and property against violence, that any use of violence that goes beyond such just defense is itself aggressive, unjust, and criminal” ― Murray N. Rothbard
36. “People are naturally born as Libertarians till governments and oppressive societies force them to adopt their ideologies and their ways.” ― Hany Ghoraba
37. “Libertarianism is “cultish,” say the sophisticates. Of course, there’s nothing cultish at all about allegiance to the state, with its flags, its songs, its mass murders, its little children saluting and paying homage to pictures of their dear leaders on the wall, etc.” ― Thomas E. Woods Jr.
38. “When poverty declines, the need for government declines, which is why expecting government to solve poverty is like expecting a tobacco company to mount an aggressive anti-smoking campaign.” ― Stefan Molyneux
39. “Liberty is not something a government gives you. It is a right that no government can legally take away.” ― A.E. Samaan
Also check out these Pete Buttigieg quotes and sayings from America’s first openly gay presidential candidate.
Political quotes from Centrists
40. “Political centrism ≠ neutrality. Being a centrist doesn’t make you unbiased; it biases you in favour of the centre.” ― Rodney Ulyate
41. “Transcending divisiveness is one of the dreams of centrists, as if disagreement were a bad habit rather than fundamental to politics.” ― Doug Henwood
42. “I’m definitely a centrist and feel like both parties can be absurd.” – Brad Bird
43. “When most presidents get in, they move to the center because they realize that this is a centrist country – even Reagan.” – Edward Brook
44. “I’m a true centrist: my beliefs put me in the middle… You know what happens to people who drive in the middle of the road? They get run over.” – Rob Lowe
45. “I’m an independent. I’m a centrist. A new generation is arriving that has grown up with a multiplicity of choice in every aspect of their lives, and yet politics is the last place that they are told that they should be satisfied with a choice between brand A and brand B. It doesn’t fit the way they think. It doesn’t fit the way they live.” – John Avlon
46. “By temperament and disposition and emotions, I’m a liberal; but in my beliefs about what’s best for the country, I’m a centrist.” – Jonathan Haidt
47. “A lot of these so-called left positions are actually centrist by the standards of the American people, just not by members of the American Congress.”- Pete Buttigieg
48. “My lesson from history is that if there is a strong moderate centrist party which can lead the country, there is no room for extremists from the right or left.” – Viktor Orban
49. “Most people want a normal centrist approach. But politicians in the center have to show them results.” – Sebastian Kurz
50. “Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
What did you learn from these political quotes?
A politician’s words will go down in history, for better or for worse. Their words will be recorded, and their speeches filmed. People will remember how each party behaved during every political victory, scandal, and conflict. Future generations will read and watch their speeches and analyze history and wonder why certain things happened the way they did.
If you are not a politician, you can often feel powerless. As though there is nothing we can do against the issues that matter most to us. So many issues are debated that researching every topic can be overwhelming. Because of this helplessness, it can be easy to hide behind the wall of a political party. It can be easy to not do our research and not look internally to learn how we feel about each issue.
Don’t feel helpless about a topic you care about. Use your power as a citizen to vote – not the way your spouse or parents vote, but the way that matters to you. Don’t pay attention to the dividing media or trust that because most people in your party are voting on a topic one way that you should too. Educate yourself and vote the way that you believe is right.
Did these insightful political quotes inspire you? Do you have a favorite quote from this list? Let us know in the comments below.
March 10, 2020 7:30 AM EST