Looking for inspirational quotes on determination that apply to your everyday life?
Want some motivating determination quotes to share at your next team meeting or event, or in your classroom?
You got em!
Determination is defined as” the ability to keep trying”, and to keep moving towards a goal, no matter what.
It is in getting back up no matter how many times we fall down.
People who have mastered determination are not necessarily people who have never failed, or even those who have failed many times.
People with determination are those who get up and keep going, who learn from what went wrong and adjust course, and who believe in themselves despite all obstacles.
The difference between eventual success and failure can be a true sense of determination.
Our daily life demands small doses of determination at every twist and turn. For every decision we make, there is always an option that seems easier, that will take us away from our goal.
Determination is not always beating a giant with a single strike – it’s the day to day focus to do the tough things first!
Here are some wise quotes on determination from those who have learned what it is, and who have harnessed its strength to achieve their definition of success.
We also have a collection of quotes about giving up to remind yourself that you were built to last. Don’t forget to check out that as well.
Best Determination Quotes About Effort and Hard Work
1. “Problems are only opportunities in work clothes.” – Henry J. Kaiser
2. “When the will is ready the feet are light.” – Proverb
3. “It is easier to act yourself into a new way of feeling rather than feel your way into a new way of acting.” – G. D. Morgan
4. “Tomorrow is the only day in the year that appeals to a lazy man.” – Jimmy Lyon
5. “Think little goals and expect little achievements. Think big goals and win big success.” – David J. Schwartz
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Henry Ford quotes from one of America’s greatest pioneers.
6. “The man who goes farthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets far from shore.” – Dale Carnegie
7. “A vow is fixed and unalterable determination to do a thing, when such a determination is related to something noble which can only uplift the man who makes the resolve.” – Mahatma Gandhi
8. “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” – Henry Ford
9. “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” – Colin Powell
10. “Nothing really worth having comes quickly and easily. If it did, I doubt that we would ever grow.” – Eknath Easwaran
Determination Quotes About Career
11. “Construct your determination with Sustained Effort, Controlled Attention, and Concentrated Energy. Opportunities never come to those who wait… they are captured by those who dare to attack.” – Paul J. Meyer
12. “Wishes are like seeds – few ever develop into something.” – Michael Garofalo
13. “Nothing can withstand the power of the human will if it is willing to stake its very existence to the extent of its purpose.” – Benjamin Disraeli
14. “If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.” – Mary Pickford
15. “What you have to do and the way you have to do it is incredibly simple. Whether you are willing to do it, that’s another matter.” – Peter F. Drucker
16. “Willingness is essential in any initiation or in making any dream come true. “I can’t” often means “I won’t.” You can change “I won’t” to “I will” with will power.” – Marcia Wieder
17. “As long as I have you there is just one other thing I’ll always need — tremendous self control.” – Ashleight Brilliant
18. “People do not lack strength, they lack will.” – Victor Hugo
19. “Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.” – Life’s Little Instruction Calendar
Also, read these inspirational survival quotes to motivate you to keep going.
Determination quotes about life
20. “Gongfu is an ancient Chinese term describing work/devotion/effort that has been successfully applied over a substantial period of time, resulting in a degree of mastery in a specific field. Although the term is synonymous in the West with martial arts (though it is most over rendered Kung Fu), it is equally applicable to calligraphy, painting, music, or other areas of endeavor.” – Andy James
21. “The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
22. “The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours – it is an amazing journey – and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” – Bob Moawad
23. “The obstacles that distract thought are disease, apathy, doubt, carelessness, indolence, dissipation, false vision, failure to attain a firm basis in yoga, and restlessness.” – Pantanjali, Yoga Sutra (1.30), 200 CE, Translated by Barbara Stoler Miller.
24. “How like herrings and onions our vices are in the morning after we have committed them.”- Samuel Taylor Coleridge
25. “Desire is the key to motivation, but it’s the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal — a commitment to excellence — that will enable you to attain the success you seek.” – Mario Andretti
26. “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
27. “Self-will so ardent and active that it will break a world to pieces to make a stool to sit on.” – Richard Cecil
28. “Willpower is the key to success. Successful people strive no matter what they feel by applying their will to overcome apathy, doubt or fear.” – Dan Millman
29. “Tomorrow is the day when idlers work, and fools reform.” – Edward Young
Motivational Determination Quotes
30. “What it boils down to is this – it’s up to you to get hold of you mind, control it, quiet it. God does the rest. And immediately, as Eckhart says, “The being ready and the pouring in are all one act.” – Nancy Pope, Mayorga
31. “Will is character in action.” – William McDougall
32. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
33. “We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort.” – Jessie Owens
34. “The most important thing about having goals is having one.” – Geoffrey F. Abert
35. “Great souls have wills; feeble ones have only wishes.” – A Chinese Proverb
36. “A failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.” – John C. Bovee
37. “Will power is to the mind like a strong blind man who carries on his shoulders a lame man who can see.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
38. “They must change often, who would be constant in happiness.” – Confucius
39. “If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance.” – Samuel Johnson
Don’t forget to also read these powerful resilience quotes that will inspire your next comeback.
Inspirational Determination quotes about success
40. “I long to accomplish great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.” – Helen Keller
41. “The greatest waste in the world is the difference between what we are and what we could become.” – Ben Herbster
42. “Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task.” – William James
43. “Willpower is the art of replacing one habit for another.” – Michael Garofalo
44. “You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try.” – Beverly Sills
45. “A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop.” – Robert Hughes
46. “The only good luck many great men ever had was being born with the ability and determination to overcome bad luck.” – Channing Pollock
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of good luck quotes for when you are feeling ill-fated.
47. “Men who are resolved to find a way for themselves will always find opportunities enough; and if they do not find them, they will make them.” – Samuel Smiles
48. “Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.” – Earl Wilson
49. “Awareness by itself is not enough: it must be joined by mastery. We need gradually to develop a steering ability to keep ourselves from slipping mechanically into this or that sub-personality. Thus we become able to identify with each part of our being as we wish. We can have more choice. It is the difference between being impotently transported by a roller coaster and, instead, driving a car and being able to choose which way to go and for what purpose to make the journey.” – Piero Ferrucci, What We May Be, p. 51
50. “If one does not know to which port he is sailing, no wind is favorable.” – Seneca
You might also like these running quotes to motivate you to stay active.
More Wise Quotes on Determination and Willpower
51. “We are a product of the choices we make, not the circumstances that we face.” – Roger Crawford
52. “Determination that just won’t quit — that’s what it takes.” – A. J. Foyt
53. “The most essential factor is persistence — the determination never to allow your energy or enthusiasm to be dampened by the discouragement that must inevitably come.” – James Whitcomb Riley
54. “Let’s ask God to help us to self-control for one who lacks it, lacks his grace.” – Mevlana Rumi
55. “Let us not be content to wait and see what will happen, but give us the determination to make the right things happen.” – Peter Marshall
56. “What really distinguishes this generation in all countries from earlier generations … is its determination to act, its joy in action, the assurance of being able to change things by one’s own efforts.” – Hannah Arendt
57. “Procrastination is the thief of time.” – Edward Young
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of procrastination quotes that will help you steal your time back.
58. “If you set goals and go after them with all the determination you can muster, your gifts will take you places that will amaze you.” – Les Brown
59. “Mind is all that counts.” – Robert Collier
60. “When you blame others, you give up your power to change.” – Douglas Noel Adams
61. “I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.” – George Burns
62. “The secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life, and in elevating them to art.” – William Morris
63. “Never give up, for this is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
64. “A major part of successful living lies in the ability to put first things first. Indeed the reason most major goals are not achieved is that we spend our time doing second things first.” – Robert J. McKain
65. “Continuous, unflagging effort, persistence and determination will win. Let not the man be discouraged who has these.” – James Whitcomb Riley
66. “Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. What if they are a little course, and you may get your coat soiled or torn? What if you do fail, and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice. Up again, you shall never be so afraid of a tumble.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
67. “The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.” – Moliere
You might also like our list of the best team quotes that celebrate determination and collaboration.
Determination quotes to inspire you to higher success
68. “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can’t practice any other virtue consistently.” ― Maya Angelou
69. Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough. – Og Mandino
70. Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of.- Bethany Hamilton
71. “You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.”
― William Faulkner
72. “A determined person will do more with a pen and paper, than a lazy person will accomplish with a personal computer.” Catherine Pulsifer
73. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.
74. The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man’s determination. – Tommy Lasorda
75. Working hard, being patient and being full of determination is perhaps the most fulfilling way of becoming rich. – Robert Gardner
76. “You’ve got to get up every morning with determination if you’re going to go to bed with satisfaction.” – George Lorimer
77. “We must remember that one determined person can make a significant difference, and that a small group of determined people can change the course of history.” – Sonia Johnson
78. “Determination is the wake-up call to the human will.”- Anthony Robbins
79. “If you have a dream, don’t just sit there. Gather courage to believe that you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality.” ― Roopleen
80. “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.” ― Criss Jami
If you’re enjoying this article, you’ll also love these deep quotes that will change how you see the world.
Determination quotes to power you up for what’s coming
81. Some succeed because they are destined to, but most succeed because they are determined to. – Henry vanDyke
82. Determination should be the key to do what is necessary, even if it is not opportune and expedient. Even if you are not in the mood, and even if it takes more than you expected, is not fair, or you have to contribute more than others do, keep on persevering. – Joginder Singh
83. The truest wisdom is a resolute determination. – Napoleon Bonaparte
84. I like to think that I’ve got determination, and I’m fiercely protective of the people I love. – Andrew Lincoln
85. A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work. – Colin Powell
86. Stay focused and stay determined. Don’t look to anyone else to be your determination – have self-determination. It will take you very far. – Justice Smith
87. They say love will find a way. I know determination will. – Ronnie Milsap
88. Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.— Thomas A. Edison
You might also like these Colin Powell quotes that will inspire and motivate you to work hard for your dreams.
89. “It’s not about money or connections — it’s the willingness to outwork and outlearn everyone… And if it fails, you learn from what happened and do a better job next time.” – Mark Cuban
Determination quotes to motivate you when the going gets tough
90. “If you are going through hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
91. “Never consider the possibility of failure; as long as you persist, you will be successful.” – Brian Tracy
92. “It doesn’t matter how many times you fail. You only have to be right once and then everyone can tell you that you are an overnight success.” – Mark Cuban
93. “In case of doubt, push on just a little further and then keep on pushing.” – General George S Patton, Jr.
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of keep pushing quotes about moving forward.
94. “The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.”
95. “We will either find a way, or make one!” Hannibal
96. “Decision and determination are the engineer and fireman of our train to opportunity and success.” – Burt Lawlor
97. “He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
98. Not all great works are made from strength; it is the determination, the perseverance that drives the spirit onwards. – Author Unknown
99. I determined never to stop until I had come to the end and achieved my purpose. – David Livingstone
100. The path to success is to take massive, determined action. – Tony Robbins
Determination quotes to make you strong
101. “Your goal is not always going to be within your reach. At times you have to outstretch yourself to reach it.”― Anesu Masamba
102. “Always remember that motivation gets you moving, but determination keeps you going.”― Dr Prem Jagyasi
103. “I choose not be what the world is. Rather, I choose to be what the world says I cannot be.”―
104. “When you are willing to replace mundane excuses with hard work and your laziness with determination, nothing can prevent you from succeeding.”― Dr. Prem Jagyasi
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of excuses quotes about the power of sticking to your word.
105. “Patience doesn’t mean waiting. It means being steadfast despite opposition.”― Monroe Mann
107. “Determination, and flaming determination, is the driving spirit of every achievement aimed at breaking through the challenges.”― Salam Al Shereida
108. “Not everything in life is achievable by a straight path.”― Priyanka Agarwal
109. “Determined and stubbornly positive,… That’s me.”― Capt Tapas Majumdar
110. “My fatigue was growing, but I could not show weakness. If it was easy, anybody could do it.”― Frank T. Vertosick Jr.
111. “Determination is something to consider, for it leads somewhere.”― Oscar Auliq-Ice
112. “If you can’t climb the highest mountain any more, go to the closest hill. It is better than staying at the bottom thinking you can’t do it.”― Nico J. Genes
113. “Sometimes will is what eventually makes the difference.”― Maria Karvouni
114. “Where you are going to matters more than what you are going through.”― Moffat Machingura
115. “It is by fighting the limitations, temptations, and failures of the world that we reach our highest possibilities.”― Helen Keller
If you’re enjoying this article, you’ll also love our collection of comeback quotes that will help you bounce back.
Determination quotes to elevate your perspective
116. “A little more persistence, a little more effort, and what seemed hopeless failure may turn to glorious success.” – Elbert Hubbard
117. “When you know what you want and you want it badly enough, you will find the ways to get it.” – Jim Rohn
118. “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.” – Buddha
119. “A determination to succeed is the only way to succeed that I know anything about.” – William Feather
120. “The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” – Vince Lombardi
121. “Never go backward. Attempt, and do it with all your might. Determination is power.” – Charles Simmons
122. “It is not how many times you fall down that will determine your success, only the strength that every time you fall down, you’ll get back up.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out our collection of inspirational sports quotes about working towards your full potential.
123. “Victory is the child of preparation and determination.” – Sean Hampton
124. “Enclose your heart in times of need with the steel of your determination and your strength. In doing this, all things will be bearable.” –
125. “It does not matter where you are standing right now, what matters is where you are headed to.” – Unknown
More determination quotes to inspire
126. “Perseverance, secret of all triumphs.” – Victor Hugo
127. “Courage is the foundation of determination. Determination and courage are the cornerstones of success.” – Unknown
128. “Work hard. Through determination and self-focus and discipline, you can accomplish anything.” – Kimberly Guilfoyle
129. “Within each of us is a hidden store of determination. Determination to keep us in the race when all seems lost.” – Roger Dawson
130. “Willpower is essential to the accomplishment of anything worthwhile.” – Brian Tracy
131. “Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man.” – Ian Duncan Smith
132. “Nothing can resist the human will that will stake even its existence on its stated purpose.” – Benjamin Disraeli
133. “You’ve done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination.” – Unknown
134. “Determination becomes obsession and then it becomes all that matters.” – Jeremy Irvine
135. “The world’s greatest achievers have been those who have always stayed focused on their goals and have been consistent in their efforts.” – Unknown
136. “I have discovered in life that there are ways of getting almost anywhere you want to go, if you really want to go.” – Langston Hughes
137. “To conquer frustration, one must remain intensely focused on the outcome, not the obstacles.” – T.F. Hodge
138. “From this point forward, you don’t even know how to quit in life.” – Aaron Lauritsen
139. “There is no such thing as helplessness. It’s just another word for giving up.” – Jefferson Smith
140. “That’s the point, isn’t it? We have to live on, no matter how hard it gets. We’ll win in the end.” – Brandon Sanderson
Remember to also check out these perseverance quotes about overcoming obstacles.
Which of these quotes on determination did you like best?
It’s often difficult to get determination or willpower going. But hopefully, these wise sayings and quotes on determination have helped power you up for what’s coming your way.
Did you enjoy these quotes? What other determination quotes would you add to the list? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
December 13, 2021 6:00 AM EST