These Henry Louis Gates Jr quotes will inspire you to achieve your highest potential.
Gates has made contributions to the field of literature in various forms. Some of his works include The Signifying Monkey, Bearing Witness, and Black Literature and Literary Theory. He has also been host for PBS programs such as Wonders of the African World, Black in Latin America, and Finding Your Roots.
Born on September 16, 1950, in Keyser, West Virginia, Gates excelled as a student. He graduated from Yale University in 1973 with a degree in history, and was the first African-American to receive a Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge in England.
In honor of his accomplishments, Gates has received various awards and honors, including over 50 honorary degrees, induction into the “Sons of the American Revolution” in 2006, and being named one of Time Magazine’s 25 Most Influential Americans.
As an acclaimed author and critic who has unearthed a wide range of literary gems, Gates is someone who has clearly managed to tap into his Everyday Power. In that respect, below is our collection of wise and inspirational Henry Louis Gates Jr quotes.
Henry Louis Gates Jr quotes honoring tolerance and respect
1. “The first step toward tolerance is respect and the first step toward respect is knowledge.” ― Henry Louis Gates
2. “You have to have a canon so the next generation can come along and explode it.” – Henry Louis Gates
4. “Diversity doesn’t mean black and white only.” – Henry Louis Gates
6. “No human culture is inaccessible to someone who makes the effort to understand, to learn, to inhabit another world.” ― Henry Louis Gates
8. “The thing about black history is that the truth is so much more complex than anything you could make up.” – Henry Louis Gates
9. “There are just so many stories that are buried on family trees.” – Henry Louis Gates
10. “I have no plans to slow down.” – Henry Louis Gates
Which of these Henry Louis Gates Jr quotes was your favorite?
Henry Louis Gates Jr is prominent black intellectual and a literary historian who’s committed to the preservation and study of historical texts. Besides, he has worked to bring about social, educational, and intellectual equality for African Americans.
Despite being born in a segregated town, Gates did not allow the open racism of his childhood stop him from going on to have a remarkable career. Hopefully, the above quotes will inspire you to achieve your highest potential.
Which of these Henry Louis Gates Jr quotes was your favorite? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 5, 2019 8:15 AM EST