These diversity and unity quotes will remind you that we are far more alike than we think.
Sadly, the world is a divided place despite the fact that we live in the 21st century. It seems we are divided from one another these days more than ever: whether politically, religiously, or in the workplace. If we cannot come together on even the closest of our relationships, how do we expect to find kindness and common ground towards others?
We can learn a great deal from the unity we create in our relationships that we can translate to many other areas of our lives. As we practice a sense of togetherness, we can start to see how these skills can be to our benefit as well.
Here are some inspirational unity quotes that will hopefully encourage you to practice it in your daily life. You will see how these thoughts apply not only to your personal relationships but to all your interactions with others.
Inspirational Diversity and Unity Quotes
1. “We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.” – J.K. Rowling, ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire’
2. “Unity to be real must stand the severest strain without breaking.” – Mahatma Gandhi
3. “We are each other’s harvest; we are each other’s business; we are each other’s magnitude and bond.” – Gwendolyn Brooks
4. “We cannot be separated in interest or divided in purpose. We stand together until the end.” – Woodrow T. Wilson
5. “Like a sculptor, if necessary,
carve a friend out of stone.
Realize that your inner sight is blind
and try to see a treasure in everyone.” – Jalaluddin Rumi
6. “Unity without verity is no better than conspiracy.” – John Trapp
8. “Remember upon the conduct of each depend the fate of all.” – Alexander The Great
9. “When spiders unite, they can tie down a lion.”- Ethiopian Proverb
10. “The deepest of level of communication is not communication, but communion. It is wordless…beyond speech…beyond concept.” – Thomas Merton
11. “So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth.” – Baha’U’Llah
12. “Unity and victory are synonymous.” – Samora Machel
13. “Unity is strength, division is weakness.” – Swahili Proverb
Also see these insightful culture quotes about its power in society.
Unity quotes to elevate your perspective
14. “For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” – Rudyard Kipling
15. “Unity is strength…when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.” – Mattie Stepanek
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of team building quotes that promote working together.
16. “You don’t get unity by ignoring the questions that have to be faced.” – Jay Weatherill
17. “The significance which is in unity is an eternal wonder.” – Rabindranath Tagore
18. “There is beauty and power in unity. We must be united in heart and mind. One world, one people.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
19. “No doubt, unity is something to be desired, to be striven for, but it cannot be willed by mere declarations.” – Theodore Bikel
20. “Unity is vision; it must have been part of the process of learning to see.” – Henry Adams
21. “Even the weak become strong when they are united.” – Friedrich von Schiller
22. “Unity is a beast in itself. If a wolf sees two little boys playing in the woods on one side, and a big strong man on the other, he will go to the one who stands alone.” – Suzy Kassem
23. “Where there is unity there is always victory.” – Publilius Syrus
24. “You can’t have unity without diversity.” – Richard Twiss
25. “Where destruction is the motive, unity is dangerous.” – Ravi Zacharias
26. “In union there is strength.” – Aesop
You might also like these wise Native American quotes on community, respect, and more.
Diversity and unity quotes that will change the way you think
27. “We may have different religions, different languages, different colored skin, but we all belong to one human race.” – Kofi Annan
28. “The essence of the beautiful is unity in variety.”― W. Somerset Maugham
29. “Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and the test of our civilization.” – Mahatma Gandhi
30. “History teaches us that unity is strength, and cautions us to submerge and overcome our differences in the quest for common goals, to strive, with all our combined strength, for the path to true African brotherhood and unity.” – Haile Selassie
31. “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
32. “No man can lead man, we have to have unity.” – Bob Marley
33. “In crucial things, unity. In important things, diversity. In ALL things, generosity.” – George H. W. Bush
34. “None of us is as smart as all of us.” – Ken Blanchard
35. “What we have to do… is to find a way to celebrate our diversity and debate our differences without fracturing our communities.” – Hillary Clinton
36. “There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will reach your goals only with the help of others.” – George Shinn
37. “Society is unity in diversity.” – George H. Mead
38. “Unity should be the cornerstone of relations.” – Haile Selassie
Unity quotes to elevate your mind
39. “In diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” – Maya Angelou
40. “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.”― Herman Melville
41. “We are of course a nation of differences. Those differences don’t make us weak. They’re the source of our strength.” – Jimmy Carter
42. “He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings, and all beings in his own Self, and looks on everything with an impartial eye.” – Buddha
43. “What divides us pales in comparison to what unites us.”- Edward Kennedy
44. “There is more power in unity than division.” – Emanuel Cleaver
45. “The strongest bond of human sympathy outside the family relation should be one uniting working people of all nations and tongues and kindreds.” – Abraham Lincoln
46. “Not in numbers but in unity that our great strength lies.” – Thomas Paine
47. “The peoples of the earth are one family.” – Ruth Benedict
48. “Unity and simplicity are the two true sources of beauty.” – Johann Joachim Winckelmann
49. “Even if a unity of faith is not possible, a unity of love is.”― Hans Urs von Balthasar
50. “Nature creates unity even in the parts of a whole.” – Eugene Delacroix
Unity quotes that will brighten your day
51. “Variety is the soul of pleasure.” – Aphra Behn
52. “Isn’t it amazing that we are all made in God’s image, and yet there is so much diversity among his people?” – Desmond Tutu
53. “You don’t have true freedom until you allow a diversity of opinion and a diversity of voices.” – Don Lemon
54. “Diversity in the world is a basic characteristic of human society, and also the key condition for a lively and dynamic world as we see today.” – Jintao Hu
55. “We are all different, which is great because we are all unique. Without diversity life would be very boring.” – Catherine Pulsifer
56. “Diversity is not about how we differ. Diversity is about embracing one another’s uniqueness.” – Ola Joseph
57. “Diversity: the art of thinking independently together.” – Malcolm Forbes
58. “I feel my heartbreak to see a nation ripped apart by its own greatest strength–it’s diversity.” – Melissa Etheridge
59. “I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap.” – Ani DiFranco
60. “The wise man belongs to all countries, for the home of a great soul is the whole world.” – Democritus
Diversity and unity quotes that will make your day better
61. “Diversity creates dimension in the world.” – Elizabeth Ann Lawless
62. “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
63. “I can tell you, without diversity, creativity remains stagnant.” – Edward Enningful
64. “We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.” – Maya Angelou
65. “If we cannot now end our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity.” – John F. Kennedy
66. “Strength lies in differences, not in similarities.” – Stephen R. Covey
67. “Diversity is about all of us, and about us having to figure out how to walk through this world together.” – Jacqueline Woodson
68. “Human diversity makes tolerance more than a virtue; it makes it a requirement for survival.” – Rene Dubos
69. “It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse races.” – Mark Twain
70. “There are no nations! There is only humanity. And if we don’t come to understand that right soon, there will be no nations, because there will be no humanity.” – Isaac Asimov
Don’t forget to also check out these community quotes to help you find your place in the world.
Powerful diversity and unity quotes
71. “I believe in the essential unity of all that lives. Therefore, I believe that if one person gains spiritually, the whole world gains, and that if one person falls, the whole world falls to that extent.” – Mahatma Gandhi
72. “Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children’s future. And we are all mortal.” – John F. Kennedy
73. “It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” – Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Maya Angelou quotes celebrating success, love & life.
74. “No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent.” – John Donne
75. “United we stand, divided we fall.” – Aesop
76. “Unity in diversity is the highest possible attainment of a civilization, a testimony to the most noble possibilities of the human race. This attainment is made possible through passionate concern for choice, in an atmosphere of social trust.” – Michael Novak
77. “Our cultural strength has always been derived from our diversity of understanding and experience.” – Yo-Yo Ma
78. “Peace and friendship with all mankind is our wisest policy, and I wish we may be permitted to pursue it.” – Thomas Jefferson
79. “Peace requires everyone to be in the circle – wholeness, inclusion.” – Isabel Allende
80. “It just seems clear to me that as long as we are all here, it’s pretty clear that the struggle is to share the planet, rather than divide it.” – Alice Walker
Powerful diversity and unity quotes
81. “We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same.” – Anne Frank
82. “The unity in diversity of the United States is one of the country’s greatest strengths.” –
83. “We become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams.” – Jimmy Carter
84. “The unity of freedom has never relied on uniformity of opinion.” – John F. Kennedy
86. “Our true nationality is mankind.” – H. G. Wells
87. “There is only one man in the world and his name is All Men. There is only one woman in the world and her name is All Women. There is only one child in the world and the child’s name is All Children.” – Carl Sandburg
88. “There can be hope only for a society that acts as one big family, not as many separate ones.” – Anwar Sadat
89. “We are so bound together that no man can labor for himself alone. Each blow he strikes in his own behalf helps to mold the universe.” – Jerome K. Jerome
90. “Uniformity is not nature’s way; diversity is nature’s way.” – Vandana Shiva
More unity quotes and sayings
91. “One love, one heart. Let’s get together and feel all right.” – Bob Marley
92. “All for one and one for all.” – Alexandre Dumas
93. “You are never alone. You are eternally connected with everyone.” – Amit Ray
94. “They both listened silently to the water, which to them was not just water, but the voice of life, the voice of Being, the voice of perpetual Becoming.” – Hermann Hesse
95. “The Destiny of Man is to unite, not to divide. If you keep on dividing you end up as a collection of monkeys throwing nuts at each other out of separate trees.” – T.H. White
96. ‘Pit race against race, religion against religion, prejudice against prejudice. Divide and conquer! We must not let that happen here.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
97. “The true miracle lies in our eagerness to allow, appreciate, and honor the uniqueness, and freedom of each sentient being to sing the song of their heart.” – Amit Ray
98. “If everyone helps to hold up the sky, then one person does not become tired.” – Askhari Johnson Hodari
99. “Each person you meet is an aspect of yourself, clamoring for love.” – Eric Micha’el Leventhal
100. “Together, we form a necessary paradox; not a senseless contradiction.” – Criss Jami
Did these unity quotes inspire you?
Perhaps the most important thing to realize about unity is that, it doesn’t matter even if we don’t share the same opinions or beliefs, but rather, that we are ultimately united in our goals.
Even if we come from different backgrounds, beliefs systems, or have dissimilar ways of going about things, there are certain fundamental goals that should unify us all.
When we realize this, we’ll have greater strength. Once we decide to work with – and NOT against – each other, it starts to become clear that unity creates power. Let’s be united as couples, families, neighborhoods, or as a workforce.
Many of us have the same goals and want the same outcomes. If we want a better life, better relationships – and ultimately, a better world – a unified behavior and purpose simply needs to be realized.
We are far more alike than we think.
March 11, 2021 6:00 AM EST