Our latest collection of respect quotes and sayings will inspire you to respect yourself and others.
Respect is something that is often earned and not simply given.
When you earn a person’s respect, you are held in higher regard for your efforts which have proven you worthy of it.
Respect is at the core of every human interaction.
Regardless of how old you are, or what social status you hold, we all need to feel respected and valued.
When we treat others with respect, it shows that we recognize their value and worth. Respect is important in any relationship.
For a relationship to be successful, there has to be great respect for one another, even when disagreements arise.
Although respect seems to be declining in today’s world, we have to be sympathetic to those around us and have regard for their rights and feelings.
In that regard, here are some inspirational, wise, and powerful respect quotes, respect sayings, and respect proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Respect quotes and sayings about life, love and relationships
1. “I must respect the opinions of others even if I disagree with them.” – Herbert H. Lehman
2. “Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.” – Bruce Lee
3. “Men are respectable only as they respect.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. “Most good relationships are built on mutual trust and respect.” – Mona Sutphen
5. “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
6. “Never judge someone by the way he looks or a book by the way it’s covered; for inside those tattered pages, there’s a lot to be discovered.” – Stephen Cosgrove
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of relationship quotes celebrating real love.
7. “I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.” – Albert Einstein
8. “To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.” – Bono
9. “When we treat people merely as they are, they will remain as they are. When we treat them as if they were what they should be, they will become what they should be.” – Thomas S. Monson
10. “One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” – Bryant H. McGill
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of listening quotes that express the importance of listening.
Respect quotes and sayings to make your life better
11. “Respect commands itself and it can neither be given nor withheld when it is due.” – Eldridge Cleaver
12. “You can demand courtesy but you have to earn respect.” – Lawrence Goldstone
13. “If we can respect the divine within us, if we can treat it with dignity, then we can respect others around us.” –Vishwas Chavan
14. “Respect is an invention of people who want to cover up the empty place where love should be.” – Leo Tolstoy
15. “Life is short, and we should respect every moment of it.” – Orhan Pamuk
16. “Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners” ― Laurence Sterne
17. “Respecting someone indicate the quality of your personality.” – Mohammad Rishad Sakhi
18. “Every human being, of whatever origin, of whatever station, deserves respect. We must each respect others even as we respect ourselves.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
19. “I cannot conceive of a greater loss than the loss of one’s self-respect.” – Mahatma Gandhi
20. “Respect is what we owe; love, what we give.” – Philip James Bailey
Also check out these wise Native American quotes and proverbs on community, respect, and more.
Respect quotes and sayings about honoring others
21. “I will not try to convince you to love me, to respect me, to commit to me. I deserve better than that; I AM BETTER THAN THAT…Goodbye.” ― Steve Maraboli
22. “We cannot expect people to have respect for law and order until we teach respect to those we have entrusted to enforce those laws.” ― Hunter S. Thompson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Hunter S. Thompson quotes from journalist and author.
23. “If you want to be respected by others, the great thing is to respect yourself. Only by that, only by self-respect will you compel others to respect you.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
24. “If we lose love and self-respect for each other, this is how we finally die.” – Maya Angelou
25. “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” – Albert Einstein
26. “Being brilliant is no great feat if you respect nothing.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
27. “Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear.” – Albert Camus
28. “If you have some respect for people as they are, you can be more effective in helping them to become better than they are.” – John W. Gardner
29. “Treat people the way you want to be treated. Talk to people the way you want to be talked to. Respect is earned, not given.” – Hussein Nishah
30. “Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.” – Malcolm X
Powerful respect quotes and sayings about being nice to everyone
31. “I don’t care if you’re black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you’re nice to me, I’ll be nice to you. Simple as that.” ― Robert Michaels
32. “I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.” ― Winston S. Churchill
33. “Respect should be the first thing you give.” – Anonymous
33. “When you practice gratefulness, there is a sense of respect toward others.” – Dalai Lama
34. “Self-respect is the cornerstone of all virtue.” – John Herschell
35. “Take very little notice of those people who choose to treat you poorly. It is how they are defining their story, not yours.” – Lei Wah
36. “There are lots of people I admire and respect, but I don’t necessarily want to be like them. I’m too happy being myself.” – James D’arcy
37. “Be kind, don’t judge, and have respect for others. If we can all do this, the world would be a better place. The point is to teach this to the next generation.” – Jasmine Guinness
38. “A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone.” – Billy Graham
39. “Be loyal to those who are loyal to you. And respect everyone, even your enemies, and competition.” – John Cena
40. “I’m not concerned with your liking or disliking me. All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.” – Jackie Robinson
For additional reading, be sure to also check out these good man quotes that will inspire you to do your best.
Respect quotes to elevate your mind
41. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” – Dr. Seuss
42. “Be more humble than a blade of grass, more tolerant than a tree, always offering respect onto others and never expecting any in return.” – Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
43. “Honest communication is built on truth and integrity and upon respect of the one for the other.” – Benjamin E. Mays
44. “If we are not free, no one will respect us.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
45. “Treat everyone with respect and kindness. Period. No exceptions.” – Kiana Tom
46. “Once you figure out what respect tastes like, it tastes better than attention. But you have to get there.” – Pink
47. “I love making new friends and I respect people for a lot of different reasons.” – Taylor Swift
48. “I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong, than the one who comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil.” – Malcolm X
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of devil quotes that will help you triumph against evil.
49. “Set the standard! Stop expecting others to show you love, acceptance, commitment, & respect when you don’t even show that to yourself.” – Steve Maraboli
50. “Probably no greater honor can come to any man than the respect of his colleagues.” – Cary Grant
Respect quotes for Students
51. “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other’s life.” – Richard Bach
52. “This is how you start to get respect, by offering something that you have.” – Mitch Albom
53. “Respect your efforts, respect yourself. Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that’s real power.” –
54. “Respect is for those who deserve not for those who demand it.” – Paulo Coelho
55. “Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be.” –
56. “Respect for the truth comes close to being the basis for all morality.” – Frank Herbert
57. “Respect is one of life’s greatest treasures. I mean, what does it all add up to if you don’t have that?” – Marilyn Monroe
58. “Respect for the fragility and importance of an individual life is still the mark of an educated man.” – Norman Cousins
59. “We don’t need to share the same opinions as others, but we need to be respectful.” – Taylor Swift
60. “If you treat people right they will treat you right… ninety percent of the time.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
You might also like these wise Native American quotes on community, respect, and more.
Truth and respect Quotes
61. “The truest form of love is how you behave toward someone, not how you feel about them.” – Steve Hall
62. “Love is honesty. Love is a mutual respect for one another.” – Simone Elkeles
63. “I cannot compromise my respect for your love. You can keep your love, I will keep my respect.” – Amit Kalantri
64. “You demand respect and you’ll get it. First of all, you give respect.” – Mary J. Blige
65. “The secret of a happy life is respect. Respect for yourself and respect for others.” – Ayad Akhtar
66. “Respect toward others can’t be imposed. It’s a blessing or learning the hard way.” – Toba Beta
67. “If she does not respect you, she will replace you.” – Habeeb Akande
68. “When we love and respect people, revealing to them their value, they can begin to come out from behind the walls that protect them.” – Jean Vanier
69. “Never pay attention to someone who has not earned your respect.” – Habeeb Akande
70. “If you can’t Respect her, you don’t Deserve Her!” – Udayveer Singh
More respect quotes and sayings
71. “Respect depends on reciprocity.” – Nyang Proverb
72. “I firmly believe that respect is a lot more important, and a lot greater, than popularity.” – Julius Erving
74. “Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized.” – Albert Einstein
75. “Respect out of fear is no respect.” – M. K. Soni
76. “Respect is a two-way street, if you want to get it, you’ve got to give it.” – R.G. Risch
77. “You will gain more respect and esteem through listening rather than through talking.” – Clive Harman
78. “To get down to the quick of it, respect motivates me – not success.” – Hugh Jackman
79. “Humility and respect tell much more about your background than your personality.” – Kate Iroegbu
80. “Responsibility and respect of others and their religious beliefs are also part of freedom.” –Horst Koehler
Respect quotes and sayings to extend to all people
81. “Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy.”-Jacques Maritain
82. “Show respect to all people, but grovel to none.” -Tecumseh
83. “If once you forfeit the confidence of your fellow-citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem.” -Abraham Lincoln
84. “Be modest, be respectful of others, try to understand.” -Lakhdar Brahimi
85. “As all human beings are, in my view, creatures of God’s design, we must respect all other human beings. That does not mean I have to agree with their choices or agree with their opinions, but indeed I respect them as human beings.” -Stockwell Day
86. “Assuredly, Loving Souls, you should go to God with all humility and respect, humbling yourselves in His presence, especially when you remember your past ingratitude and sins.” -Alphonsus Liguori
87. “I have great respect for the past. If you don’t know where you’ve come from, you don’t know where you’re going.” -Maya Angelou
88. “Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?” -Confucius
89. “We all require and want respect, man or woman, black or white.” -Aretha Franklin
90. “We will not agree on every issue. But let us respect those differences and respect one another.” -John Lynch
Which respect quotes and sayings were your favorites?
Although respect seems to be rapidly declining nowadays, we must remember to always act with politeness, thoughtfulness and civility towards others.
Hopefully, these respect quotes have reminded you of the importance to treat others with kindness and respect.
Did you enjoy these respect quotes and sayings? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
April 22, 2022 6:00 AM EST