Finding inspirational Herodotus quotes could take a reasonable amount of time.
However, to assist you in finding your favorite Herodotus quote, we have created a comprehensive list of such quotes.
These quotes are worthy to be shared via any social media platform, including Instagram.
In addition, you can also seek information about Herodotus in the section provided below.
If interested, please continue reading!
You may also enjoy reading these related articles:
A Brief Introduction to Herodotus
Herodotus is one of the few names in the field of history who resonate as a strong historian.
He is also known as the “Father of History.”
This title was awarded to Herodotus due to his remarkable work on ancient Greek history.
He laid the foundations for a unique and systematic way of studying the past.
“The Histories” is his seminal work, which has not only chronicled the events but also discussed the Persian Wars with a new approach.
Early Life and Travels
Herodotus was born in 484 BCE, in Halicarnassus (Bodrum, Turkey).
He grew up in a multicultural city which was influenced by Greek and Persian cultures.
This exposed him to diverse perspectives from an early age.
Herodotus was curious and thirsty to know the history.
This led him to go on a voyage throughout the world.
He journeyed to different countries, including:
- Similar other regions
During his stay in these countries, he meticulously gathered relevant information.
For this purpose, he also conducted interviews with local inhabitants and eyewitnesses.
Due to these firsthand experiences, Herodotus was in a position to create a foundation for his unsurpassable historical work.
“The Histories” by Herodotus serves as the most authentic historical account of the Persian Wars (499-479 BCE).
Herodotus also weaved different historical events in a captivating style.
This helps to explore the social, cultural, and geographical elements of the ancient world.
Herodotus made massive contributions to the field of history.
His research methodology relied on both primary and secondary sources.
This set a benchmark for later historians.
He emphasized the critical aspects of analyzing the historical events.
Despite considerable criticism from his fellow historians, Herodotus’s work is still considered to be authentic and inspiring.
Prominent figures like Thucydides, Polybius, and Livy have read his work and also admired it.
So, the legacy of Herodotus will continue to guide us as “Father of History”.
It endures as a testament to his insatiable curiosity and pioneering spirit.
Top 5 Herodotus Quotes
Among many impactful quotes, given below are the top 5 attributed to Herodotus, the renowned ancient Greek historian often referred to as the “Father of History.
1. “Hippocleides doesn’t care.” — Herodotus
2. “Great things are won by great dangers.” — Herodotus
3. “Force has no place where there is need of skill.” — Herodotus
4. “Of all possessions, a friend is the most precious.” — Herodotus
5. “Human prosperity never abides long in the same place.” — Herodotus
Mindful Herodotus Quotes
These Herodotus quotes invite us to explore the depths of our thoughts, emotions, and actions, ultimately guiding us towards a more conscious and meaningful life.
6. “Great deeds are usually wrought at great risks.” — Herodotus
7. “The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance.” — Herodotus
8. “How much better a thing it is to be envied than to be pitied.” — Herodotus
9. “In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons.” — Herodotus
10. “The most hateful human misfortune is for a wise man to have no influence.” — Herodotus
Herodotus Quotes About Men
The eminent Greek historian offers profound insights into the nature of men through his thought-provoking quotes.
11. “In soft regions are born soft men.” — Herodotus
12. “Men trust their ears less than their eyes.” — Herodotus
13. “All men’s gains are the fruit of venturing.” — Herodotus
14. “Death is a delightful hiding place for weary men.” — Herodotus
15. “Circumstances rule men; men do not rule circumstances.” — Herodotus
Herodotus Quotes About God
These quotes provide a glimpse into the beliefs and divine interactions prevalent in different cultures of his time. Some of his finest quotes on God are included below.
16. “God does not suffer presumption in anyone but himself.” — Herodotus
17. “The gods love to punish whatever is greater than the rest.” — Herodotus
18. “Whatever comes from God is impossible for a man to turn back.” — Herodotus
19. “Do you see how the god always hurls his bolts at the greatest houses and the tallest trees? For he is wont to thwart whatever is greater than the rest.” — Herodotus
20. “One should always look to the end of everything, how it will finally come out. For the god has shown blessedness to many only to overturn them utterly in the end.” — Herodotus
Herodotus Quotes About Egypt & Greece
These Herodotus quotes related to Egypt and Greece help us understand history and civilization by appreciating the diversity of human experiences and culture.
21. “Egypt is the gift of the Nile.” — Herodotus
22. “Swine are held by the Egyptians to be unclean beasts.” — Herodotus
23. “Tell Greece that her spring has been taken out of her year.” — Herodotus
24. “The Colchians, Ethiopians, and Egyptians have thick lips, broad nose, woolly hair, and they are burnt of skin.” — Herodotus
25. “It [Egypt] has more wonders in it than any other country in the world and provides more works that defy description than any other place.” — Herodotus
Which One of these Herodotus Quotes is your Favorite?
Herodotus was committed to finding the truth from the depths of the past.
So, he obtained historical information through multiple sources.
This transformed the way people used to record history.
Hence, Herodotus is so popular among historians and students of history.
The Herodotus quotes listed above are authentic and relevant.
You won’t find it hard to locate your favorite Herodotus quote.
If you have already found one, make sure to share it with us via our comments section.
We would love to hear from you.