Hugh Hefner, the ‘playboy philosopher,’ wasn’t just an American magazine publisher. Sure, he was the founder and editor-and-chief of Playboy, but he also embodied the lifestyle like non-other! Hugh Hefner didn’t just enjoy publishing articles about sex. He enjoyed sex in general, even just talking about it, as you will see from these iconic Hugh Hefner quotes.
He wasn’t always the millionaire playboy, though. In fact, he had some rather humble beginnings. He was born in Chicago. His parents were from Nebraska, and his father was an accountant while his mother was a teacher.
Hefner once said that his family was “conservative, Midwestern, [and] Methodist”. So much so, that his mother had wanted him to become a missionary. His quotes about marriage and society prove he wasn’t quite cut out for that life.
Instead, he spent his life building the Playboy brand into an empire. It consisted of Playboy Clubs around the world, luxury mansions where Playboy “playmates” partied and lived a wild lifestyle, which kept him and the magazine in the public eye. He was a proponent of “sexual liberation” and “freedom of expression.” Enjoy these Hugh Hefner quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these sex quotes for relationships, love and intimacy.
Funny Hugh Hefner Quotes and Sayings
1. “Someone once asked, ‘What’s your best pickup line?’ I said, ‘My best pickup line is, ‘Hi, my name is Hugh Hefner.'” ― Hugh Hefner
2. “Picasso had his pink period and his blue period. I am in my blonde period right now.” ― Hugh Hefner
3. “I don’t have dinner parties – I eat my dinner in bed.” ― Hugh Hefner
4. “Several girlfriends are easier to handle than one wife.” ― Hugh Hefner
5. “I think that retirement is the first step towards the grave.” ― Hugh Hefner
6. “Publishing a sophisticated men’s magazine seemed to me, the best possible way of fulfilling a dream I’d been nurturing ever since I was a teenager: to get laid a lot.” ― Hugh Hefner
7. “Well, if we hadn’t had the Wright brothers, there would still be airplanes. If there hadn’t been an Edison, there would still be electric lights. And if there hadn’t been a Hefner, we’d still have sex. But maybe we wouldn’t be enjoying it as much. So, the world would be a little poorer. Come to think of it, so would some of my relatives.” ― Hugh Hefner
8. “If a man has a right to find God in his own way, he has a right to go to the Devil in his own way also.” ― Hugh Hefner
9. “I guess I’m the most successful man I know. I wouldn’t trade places with anybody in the world.” ― Hugh Hefner
10. “I am not primarily an entrepreneurial businessman. I’m primarily a playboy philosopher.” ― Hugh Hefner
Conflicting Hugh Hefner quotes on marriage
11. “I always say now that I’m in my blonde years. Because since the end of my marriage, all of my girlfriends have been blonde.” ― Hugh Hefner
12. “The whole 1950s notion was find the right girl, get married, move to the suburbs, and then hang out with the guys while she stayed home with the babies. I felt that was sort of sad.” ― Hugh Hefner
13. “I think everyone should get married. I just took a little longer than usual.” ― Hugh Hefner
14. “If I ever try to get married again, shoot me.” ― Hugh Hefner
15. “I got married before I found myself. People should find themselves before they get married.” ― Hugh Hefner
16. “There were chunks of my life when I was married, and when I was married I never cheated. But I made up for it when I wasn’t married. You have to keep your hand in.” ― Hugh Hefner
17. “I think getting married was a mistake along the way, but at the same time, I wouldn’t have the wonderful children I have if I didn’t get married.” ― Hugh Hefner
18. “I have been married twice, and those were not the happiest times of my life. Part of the problem, quite frankly, is that when you get married, the romance disappears and the children arrive and the love is transferred. It shouldn’t be that way, but too often it is transferred to the children.” ― Hugh Hefner
Iconic Hugh Hefner quotes about society, feelings, and sex
19. “Loneliness doesn’t have much to do with where you are.” ― Hugh Hefner
20. “Ageism is a variation of racism or sexism, all the other isms.” ― Hugh Hefner
21. “The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.” ― Hugh Hefner
22. “Everybody marches to a different drummer.” ― Hugh Hefner
23. “One of the great ironies in our society is that we celebrate freedom and then limit the parts of life where we should be most free.” ― Hugh Hefner
24. “If you let society and your peers define who you are, you’re the less for it.” ― Hugh Hefner
25. “To begin with, I fought racism, then sexism, now I’m fighting ageism. One defines oneself in one’s own terms. If you let society and your peers define who you are, you’re the less for it.” ― Hugh Hefner
26. “Sex is the driving force on the planet. We should embrace it, not see it as the enemy.” ― Hugh Hefner
27. “It’s good to be selfish. But not so self-centered that you never listen to other people.” ― Hugh Hefner
28. “Sex, and the attraction between the sexes, does make the world go ’round.” ― Hugh Hefner
29. “In my own words, I played some significant part in changing the social-sexual values of our time. I had a lot of fun in the process.” ― Hugh Hefner
Hugh Hefner quotes on Playboy magazine and bunnies
30. “For me, the magazine was always the heart of what my life was all about, and the other half was living the life.” ― Hugh Hefner
31. “Playboy exploits sex the way Sports Illustrated exploits sports.” ― Hugh Hefner
32. “‘Playboy’ was not a sex magazine as far as I was concerned. Sex was simply part of the total package; I was trying to bring sex into the fold of a healthy lifestyle.” ― Hugh Hefner
33. “Playboy isn’t like the downscale, male bonding, beer-swilling phenomena that is being promoted now by (some men’s magazines). My whole notion was the romantic connection between male and female.” ― Hugh Hefner
34. “With the rabbit as our emblem, when we got to the point in 1960 of opening the first Playboy Club… one of our executives suggested the possibility of a bunny costume. We tried it out, and I made some modifications – added the cuffs and the bow tie and collar – and the bunny was born.” ― Hugh Hefner
35. “The women’s movement, from my point of view, was part of the larger sexual revolution that ‘Playboy’ had played such a large part in. The reality is that the major beneficiaries of the sexual revolution are women.” ― Hugh Hefner
36. “When ‘Penthouse’ and ‘Hustler’ came along, they confused what I was trying to do. Before they arrived, we were perceived as a sophisticated men’s magazine.” ― Hugh Hefner
37. “What made the magazine so popular was, even before I started writing the philosophy, there was a point of view in the magazine.” ― Hugh Hefner
Hugh Hefner quotes about himself and his life
38. “In my wildest dreams, I could not have imagined a sweeter life.” ― Hugh Hefner
39. “You know, from my point of view, I’m the luckiest cat on the planet.” ― Hugh Hefner
40. “I remain very much connected to my childhood… I have never been too jaded or too sophisticated.” ― Hugh Hefner
41. “Surrounding myself with beautiful women keeps me young.” ― Hugh Hefner
42. “Living in the moment, thinking about the future, and staying connected to the past: That’s what makes me feel whole.” ― Hugh Hefner
43. “I’m never going to grow up. Staying young is what it is all about for me.” ― Hugh Hefner
44. “I didn’t want to repeat my parents’ life. I saw in their lives a routine and a lack of dreaming, a lack of the possibilities, a lack of passion. And I didn’t want to live without passion.” ― Hugh Hefner
45. “My folks were raised, pure prohibitionist. They were very good people, with high moral standards – but very repressed. There was no hugging and kissing in my home.” ― Hugh Hefner
46. “I have no plans to retire. It’s the perfect combination of work and play that keeps you young. If I quit work, it would be the beginning of the end for me.” ― Hugh Hefner
47. “I’m actually a very moral guy.” ― Hugh Hefner
48. “Life is too short to be living somebody else’s dream.” ― Hugh Hefner
49. “A lot of people go through life never quite understanding that if things aren’t as wonderful as they should be, it’s their own fault.” ― Hugh Hefner
50. “The people who had the most impact on me when I was young were Freud and Darwin, but growing up I also had my film idols.” ― Hugh Hefner
What did you learn from these Hugh Hefner quotes?
Hugh Hefner also became a political activist in the Democratic Party, fighting for causes that were important to him like First Amendment rights, animal rescue, and even restoring the Hollywood sign.
He had experience at another risque magazine before founding Playboy. In January 1952, Hefner left his job as a copywriter for Esquire.1953, his mother helped loan him the money to launch Playboy, which was initially going to be called Stag Party.
They published the first issue in December 1953, which featured Marilyn Monroe from a 1949 nude calendar shoot. Marilyn had posed for the pictures under a pseudonym before she became famous. Hugh did not get her consent to use the photos, and he never paid her for them either. The first issue of Playboy sold over 50,000 copies.
Hugh was also a supporter of sexual liberation for everyone, not just straight men. In Charles Beaumont’s science fiction story “The Crooked Man” straight men were being persecuted in a world where homosexuality was the norm. Beaumont had originally pitched it to Esquire and when they rejected it, Playboy published it.
Hefner’s response to the hate mail the magazine received was, “If it was wrong to persecute heterosexuals in a homosexual society, then the reverse was wrong, too.” Based on these Hugh Hefner quotes, it is clear he intended to live life his own way.
Please share any other funny or iconic Hugh Hefner quotes and sayings with us in the comment section below.
May 27, 2021 7:00 AM EST