Searching for quotes from Into the Wild? The below Into the Wild quotes showcase the life of American hiker Christopher McCandless.
What do you know about Into the Wild?
Written in 1996, Into the Wild is a non-fiction book about the life of American hiker Christopher McCandless. The book was written by Jon Krakauer, who is known for writing non-fiction books such as Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven.
The story surrounds McCandles shunning a conventional life after his college graduation and choosing seek enlightenment in the wild. Sadly, McCandles ended up dying in the Alaskan wilderness in mid-1992.
The book was transformed into a movie in 2007 with Emelie Hirsch playing the main character. Below are inspirational, thought-provoking Into the Wild quotes from both the book and the movie.
Don’t forget to also read these short inspirational quotes to fuel your day.
Into the Wild quotes about happiness
1. “Happiness is only real when shared.” ― Christopher McCandless
2. “The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.” ― Christopher McCandless
3. “I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love. I felt in myself a superabundance of energy which found no outlet in our quiet life.” ― Christopher McCandless
4. “I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one’s neighbor – such is my idea of happiness. And then, on top of all that, you for a mate, and children, perhaps – what more can the heart of a man desire?” ― Christopher McCandless
5. “He believed that doing well was all mental, a simple matter of harnessing whatever energy was available.” ― Christopher McCandless
6. “It is the experiences, the memories, the great triumphant joy of living to the fullest extent in which real meaning is found.” ― Christopher McCandless
7. “The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure.” ― Christopher McCandless
8. “The whole idea was to lose our bearings, to push ourselves into unknown territory.” – Gordy Cucullu
9. “I will miss you too, but you are wrong if you think that the joy of life comes principally from the joy of human relationships. God’s place is all around us, it is in everything and in anything we can experience. People just need to change the way they look at things.” ― Christopher McCandless
10. “So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservation, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality, nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit.” – Christopher McCandless
11. “When you forgive, you love. And when you love, God’s light shines on you.” – Ron Franz
12. “Some people feel like they don’t deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past.” – Christopher McCandless
13. “What if I were smiling and running into your arms? Would you see then what I see now?” – Christopher McCandless
14. “A lot of people in the valley just love me a lot. Everybody now, I think, in the whole world is just loving me. And I want to have the wisdom to love them back. And that’s about it.” – Leonard Knight
15. “This is a love story that is staggering to everybody in the whole world. That God really loves us a lot.” – Leonard Knight
Inspirational Into the Wild quotes
16. “It’s not always necessary to be strong, but to feel strong.” ― Christopher McCandless
17. “You can’t fix it. Most things you can fix, but not that.” – Billie McCandless
18. “Strong. You can do anything. You can go anywhere. Money, power is an illusion.” ― Christopher McCandless
19. “When you want something in life, you just gotta reach out and grab it.” – Christopher McCandless
20. “Don’t hesitate or allow yourself to make excuses. Just get out and do it. Just get out and do it. You will be very, very glad that you did.” – Christopher McCandless
21. “The fragility of crystal is not a weakness but a fineness.” – Christopher McCandless
Also read these memorable Dead Poets Society quotes that will make you think differently.
Relatable Into the Wild quotes
22. “At long last he was unencumbered, emancipated from the stifling world of his parents and peers, a world of abstraction and security and material excess, a world in which he felt grievously cut off from the raw throb of existence.” ― Christopher McCandless
23. “I think maybe part of what got him into trouble was that he did too much thinking. Sometimes he tried too hard to make sense of the world, to figure out why people were bad to each other so often.” ― Christopher McCandless
24. “He needed his solitude at times, but he wasn’t a hermit. He did a lot of socializing. Sometimes I think it was like he was storing up company for the times when he knew nobody would be around.” ― Christopher McCandless
25. “I don’t want to know what time it is. I don’t want to know what day it is or where I am. None of that matters.” ― Christopher McCandless
26. “He was so enthralled by these tales he seemed to forget they were works of fiction.” – Jon Krakauer
27. “It was inevitable that Chris would break away. And when he did, he would do it with characteristic immoderation.” – Carine McCandless
28. “A new car? Why would I want a new car? Datsun runs great. Do you think I want some fancy boat? Are you worried what the neighbors might think?” ― Christopher McCandless
29. “You’re a young guy. Can’t be juggling blood and fire all the time!” – Wayne Westerburg
30. “You got to get back out in the world! Get out of that lonely house, that little workshop of yours. Get back out on the road! Really! You’re going to live a long time, Ron! You should make a radical change in your lifestyle!” ― Christopher McCandless
Into the Wild quotes about nature
31. “The desert sharpened the sweet ache of his longing, amplified it, gave shape to it in sere geology and clean slant of light.”― Christopher McCandless
32. “Alaska has long been a magnet for dreamers and misfits, people who think the unsullied enormity of the Last Frontier will patch all the holes in their loves. The bush is an unforgiving place, however, that care nothing for hope or longing.” ― Christopher McCandless
33. “The sea’s only gifts are harsh blows, and occasionally the chance to feel strong.” – Christopher McCandless
34. “There was clearly felt the presence of a force not bound to be kind to man. It was a place of heathenism and superstitious rites, to be inhabited by men nearer of kin to the rocks and to the wild animals than we.” – Christopher McCandless
35. “There is a pleasure in the pathless woods; there is a rapture on the lonely shore; there is society, where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not man the less, but nature more.” – Christopher McCandless
36. “You can’t depend entirely on leaves and berries.” – Jan Burres
Into the Wild quotes about life
37. “At that stage of my youth, death remained as abstract a concept as non-Euclidean geometry or marriage. I didn’t yet appreciate its terrible finality or the havoc it could wreak on those who’d entrusted the deceased with their hearts.” ― Christopher McCandless
38. “Now what is history? It is the centuries of systematic explorations of the riddle of death, with a view to overcoming death. That’s why people discover mathematical infinity and electromagnetic waves, that’s why they write symphonies..” ― Christopher McCandless
39. “Careers were demeaning “twentieth-century inventions,” more of a liability than an asset, and that he would do fine without one, thank you.” ― Christopher McCandless
40. “Tramping is too easy with all this money. My days were more exciting when I was penniless and had to forage around for my next meal… I’ve decided that I’m going to live this life for some time to come. The freedom and simple beauty of it is just too good to pass up.” – Christopher McCandless
41. “No phone. No pool. No pets. No cigarettes. Ultimate freedom… No longer to be poisoned by civilization, he flees, and walks alone upon the land to become Lost in the Wild.” – Christopher McCandless
42. “If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed.” – Christopher McCandless
43. “You’re just living, man. You’re just there, in that moment, in that special place and time. Maybe when I get back, I can write a book about my travels.” – Christopher McCandless
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of book quotes about the power of reading from your favorite authors.
44. “Circumstance has no value. It is how one relates to a situation that has value. All true meaning resides in the personal relationship to a phenomenon… what it means to you.” – Christopher McCandless
45. “It should not be denied that being footloose has always exhilarated us. It is associated in our minds with escape from history and oppression and law and irksome obligations. Absolute freedom. And the road has always led west.” – Christopher McCandless
46. “We like companionship, see, but we can’t stand to be around people for very long. So we go get ourselves lost, come back for a while, then get the hell out again.” – Jon Krakauer
47. “Children can be pretty harsh when it comes to their parents.” – Rainey
48. “I know how important it is in life to measure yourself at least once. To find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions with nothing to help you but your hands and your own head.” – Christopher McCandless
49. “I don’t need money. Makes people cautious.” – Christopher McCandless
50. “Show me your face! I never, ever, ever forget a face.” – Bull
More Into The Wild quotes and sayings
51. “Firepaw held the menacing amber gaze for few moments. Warrior and apprentice, for a heartbeat their eyes were locked as enemies.” – Erin Hunter
52. “Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat.” – Erin Hunter
53. “Don’t settle down and sit in one place. Move around be nomadic, make each day a new horizon.” – Chris McCandless
54. “The core of mans’ spirit comes from new experiences.” – Jon Krakauer
55. “The trip was to be an odyssey in the fullest sense of the word, an epic journey that would change everything.” – Jon Krakauer
56. “According to the moral absolutism that characterizes McCandless’s beliefs, a challenge in which a successful outcome is assured isn’t a challenge at all.” – Jon Krakauer
57. “You are wrong if you think Joy emanates only or principally from human relationships.” – Jon Krakauer
58. “You will see things and meet people and there is so much to learn from them.” – Christopher Johnson McCandless
59. “We just have to have the courage to turn against our habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living.” – Jon Krakauer
60. “Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future.” – Jon Krakauer
How have you challenged yourself recently?
Unfulfilled from his conventional life, McCandless chose to change his life and disappear into the wilderness. He learned a lot through the people he met during his journey and gained an overflow of new experiences in the wilderness.
No matter what your dream may be, don’t be afraid to pursue it. Just your belief can fuel your motivation to reach your wants and desires. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself in the process, and find joy in the struggles that you may experience along the way.
February 25, 2021 6:00 AM EST