These Jesse Jackson quotes will inspire you to stay positive and happy, work hard, and not give up hope.
Jesse Jackson is one of America’s most prominent civil rights, religious and political figures. Jackson twice ran for U.S. president, served as special envoy to Africa, and has been a leading advocate for a variety of public policy issues.
A well-known spokesman for civil rights issues, Jackson has played a key role in almost all movements for peace, empowerment, gender equality, and economic and social justice.
Jesse Jackson was born on October 8, 1941 in Greenville, South Carolina. After graduating from the public schools in Greenville, he enrolled in the University of Illinois and later transferred to North Carolina A&T State University, where he graduated in 1964.
Jackson became involved in the civil rights movement while an undergraduate. A leading spokesman for African Americans, he has been known for commanding public attention since he first started working for Martin Luther King Jr.
In 2000, President Bill Clinton awarded Reverend Jackson the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Besides, he has received more than 40 honorary doctorate degrees for his work in human and civil rights and nonviolent social change.
As a highly respected and trusted leader, Jackson is someone who clearly managed to tap into his Everyday Power. In his honor, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and positive Jesse Jackson quotes.
Jesse Jackson quotes on why we should keep hope alive
1. “If you fall behind, run faster. Never give up, never surrender, and rise up against the odds.” – Jesse Jackson
2. “We’ve removed the ceiling above our dreams. There are no more impossible dreams.” – Jesse Jackson
3. “At the end of the day, we must go forward with hope and not backward by fear and division.” – Jesse Jackson
4. “Both tears and sweat are salty, but they render a different result. Tears will get you sympathy; sweat will get you change.” – Jesse Jackson
5. “Our dreams must be stronger than our memories. We must be pulled by our dreams, rather than pushed by our memories.” – Jesse Jackson
6. “When the doors of opportunity swing open, we must make sure that we are not too drunk or too indifferent to walk through.” – Jesse Jackson
7. “If my mind can conceive it, my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it.” – Jesse Jackson
8. “A new leadership. A choice. A chance. Don’t cry about what you don’t have. Use what you got.” – Jesse Jackson
9. “No one should negotiate their dreams. Dreams must be free to flee and fly high. No government, no legislature, has a right to limit your dreams. You should never agree to surrender your dreams.” – Jesse Jackson
10. “Hold your head high, stick your chest out. It gets dark sometimes, but morning comes. Keep hope alive.” – Jesse Jackson
Jesse Jackson quotes that will inspire you to stay positive
11. “Leaders must be tough enough to fight, tender enough to cry, human enough to make mistakes, humble enough to admit them, strong enough to absorb the pain, and resilient enough to bounce back and keep on moving.” – Jesse Jackson
12. “You may not be responsible for being down, but you must be responsible for getting up.” – Jesse Jackson
13. “It is in struggle and service with our brothers and sisters, individually and collectively, that we find the meaning of life.” – Jesse Jackson
14. “Let nothing and nobody break your spirit. Let the unity in the community remain intact.” – Jesse Jackson
15. “I am not a perfect servant. I am a public servant doing my best against the odds. As I develop and serve, be patient. God is not finished with me yet.” – Jesse Jackson
16. “Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping him up.” – Jesse Jackson
17. “Today’s students can put dope in their veins or hope in their brains. If they can conceive it and believe it, they can achieve it. They must know it is not their aptitude but their attitude that will determine their altitude.” – Jesse Jackson
18. “Time is neutral and does not change things. With courage and initiative, leaders change things.” – Jesse Jackson
19. “If you run, you might lose. If you don’t run, you’re guaranteed to lose.” – Jesse Jackson
20. “Faith lifted him above fear. The enemy can’t lock up faith. The enemy can’t bury faith. The enemy can’t steal faith. When it’s dark, you fight fate with faith.” – Jesse Jackson
Which of these Jesse Jackson quotes was your favorite?
Jesse Jackson is known for bringing together people of different races, culture, class, gender and belief. No one can deny his impact on American politics and civil rights.
Jackson is also known for his commitment to youth. Throughout the years, he has visited schools, colleges, universities and correctional facilities, encouraging excellence, inspiring hope and challenging young people to be the best versions of themselves.
Did you enjoy these Jesse Jackson quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 5, 2019 8:00 AM EST