This inspirational collection of pain quotes will remind you just how strong and powerful you are despite your trials and tribulations.
Tell us which one resonated with you the most using the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading pain quotes?
In life, pain is inevitable.
Whether physical or mental, we all deal with pain daily.
Pain and suffering are part of human life.
These pain quotes will help you:
- Look at the pain in your life with a new lens
- Learn the importance of confronting and embracing your feelings
- Remember what is important in life and to cherish the beautiful moments
As much as people try to avoid pain, there can be no gain without pain.
When we overcome painful situations, we fully realize how precious life is.
That is why you should actually move toward your pain and not away from it.
Can you imagine a world without pain?
If there were no pain in the world, we would probably be reckless, and nothing would be of value to us.
However, thanks to pain, we learn to appreciate life itself and everything around us.
Painful experiences like breakups and losing a loved one or job make us more powerful and strong because we learn to survive during these hard times.
It’s when we put our survival instincts into practice that we can truly be strong.
In that respect, below you’ll find our collection of inspirational, wise, and uplifting pain quotes, pain sayings, and pain proverbs collected over the years from various sources.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Pain Quotes Honoring Your Strength and Power
1. No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn.” – Hal Borland
You will also enjoy our article on deep quotes.
2. ”No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown.” – William Penn
You will also enjoy our article on quotes on life lessons.
3. ”Pain has its own noble joy, when it starts a strong consciousness of life, from a stagnant one.” – John Sterling
You will also enjoy our article on scar quotes.
4. ”Pain nourishes courage. You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you.” – Mary Tyler Moore
You will also enjoy our article on waiting quotes.
5. ”Turn your wounds into wisdom.” – Oprah Winfrey
You will also enjoy our article on healing quotes.
6. ”Failure gave me strength. Pain was my motivation.” – Michael Jordan
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about losing a loved one.
7. ”You never know how strong you are… until being strong is the only choice you have.”― Cayla Mills
You will also enjoy our article on missing someone quotes.
8. ”It’s not whether you get knocked down. It’s whether you get up again.” – Vince Lombardi
You will also enjoy our article on infertility quotes.
9. ”Pain pays the income of each precious thing.” – William Shakespeare
You will also enjoy our article on naruto quotes.
10. “Pain and pleasure like light and darkness, succeed each other.” – Lawrence Stone
If you’re enjoying this article, you’ll also love our collection of rejection quotes about life, love, and goals.
Pain quotes to remind you how strong and powerful you are
11. ”Pain makes me grow. Growing is what I want. Therefore, for me pain is pleasure.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
You will also enjoy our article on lonely quotes.
12. ”Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.” – Fight Club
You will also enjoy our article on hard times quotes.
13. “Pain is weakness leaving the body.” — Chesty Puller
You will also enjoy our article on hug quotes.
14. ”Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” – J.K. Rowling
You will also enjoy our article on comeback quotes.
15. ”There are no gains without pains.” – Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on know your worth quotes.
16. ”There is no coming to consciousness without pain.” – Carl Jung
You will also enjoy our article on bob marley quotes.
17. “Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.” — Khalil Gibran
You will also enjoy our article on everything happens for a reason quotes.
18. “The aim of the wise is not to secure pleasure, but to avoid pain.” — Aristotle
You will also enjoy our article on Krishna quotes.
19. ”Our strength grows out of our weaknesses.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You will also enjoy our article on walking quotes.
20. ”I can bear any pain as long as it has meaning.” – Haruki Murakami
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these devil quotes that will help you triumph against evil.
Pain quotes to give you courage
21. ”Our most beautiful dreams are born from our most unpleasant nightmares.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
You will also enjoy our article on choice quotes.
22. “Bad things happen to our life so as to favor the good things that will happen next.”― Maria Karvouni
You will also enjoy our article on experience quotes.
23. ”Suffering is an extraordinary teacher.” – Ryan Hall
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about being strong.
24. ”The great art of life is sensation, to feel that we exist, even in pain.” – George Gordon Noel Byron
You will also enjoy our article on sacrifice quotes.
25. “To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain, and play with it!” — Charlie Chaplin
You will also enjoy our article on adversity quotes.
26. “You gave me pain wrapped in love.”― Krishna Chhetri
You will also enjoy our article on rose quotes.
27. “Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” — Joseph Campbell
You will also enjoy our article on Charlie Brown quotes.
28. “Pain is immune to empathy…like love.” – Barbara Lazear Ascher
You will also enjoy our article on decision quotes.
29. ”Pain is a part of growing up. It’s how we learn.” – Dan Brown
30. “Don’t get lost in your pain, know that one day your pain will become your cure.” – Rumi
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of heart break quotes about moving on from a breakup.
Pain quotes to make you feel stronger
31. ”All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me…. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” —Walt Disney
32. ”Make up your mind that no matter what comes your way, no matter how difficult, no matter how unfair, you will do more than simply survive. You will thrive in spite of it.” —Joel Osteen
33. “I guess that’s what pain can do if you allow it: crack you open, let light in, and show you what’s on the inside.”― Michelle Cuevas
34. ”I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” – Mother Teresa
35. ”Without pain, there would be no suffering, without suffering we would never learn from our mistakes. To make it right, pain and suffering is the key to all windows, without it; there is no way of life.” – Angelina Jolie
36. ”The pain started years ago, but I’d lived with it for so long at that point that I’d accepted it as an inevitable part of me.” – Diwakar Sharma
37. “There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt.” — Erma Bombeck
38. ”Anybody can laugh in joy, but the bold ones also smile in pain…knowing that pain is just like a zooming train, that will soon pass by.” – RVM
39. ”If you can sit with your pain, listen to your pain and respect your pain—in time you will move through your pain.” – Bryant McGill
40. ”It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.” – Julius Caesar
You might also like these helpful death quotes on the ways we grieve.
Quotes about pain to inspire and teach
41. ”You may have had unfair things happen to you, but the depth of your pain is an indication of the height of your future.” – Joel Osteen
42. ”Smile, though your heart is aching. Smile, even though it’s breaking. When there are clouds in the sky, you’ll get by if you smile through your pain and sorrow. Smile and maybe tomorrow, you’ll see the sun come shining through for you.” – Charlie Chaplin (see more Charlie Chaplin quotes)
43. ”Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong.” – Sarah Dessen
44. “We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment.” — Jim Rohn
45. ”No matter how far life pushes you down, no matter how much you hurt, you can always bounce back.” – Sheryl Swoopes
46. ”All pain is either severe or slight, if slight, it is easily endured; if severe, it will without doubt be brief.” – Cicero
47. ”Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learned through pain.” – Nagato
48. ”This horror of pain is a rather low instinct and… if I think of human beings I’ve known and of my own life, such as it is, I can’t recall any case of pain which didn’t, on the whole, enrich life.” – Malcolm Muggeridge
49. ”Pain has a way of clipping our wings and keeping us from being able to fly … and if left unresolved for very long, you can almost forget that you were ever created to fly in the first place.” – WM. Paul Young
50. ”I have no regrets in my life. I think that everything happens to you for a reason. The hard times that you go through build character, making you a much stronger person.” – Rita Mero
Don’t forget to also check out these Joker quotes on humanity that really make you think.
Pain quotes to elevate your perspective
51. “One word frees us of all the weight and pain in life. That word is love.” — Sophocles
52. “Pain is like a love affair. When it’s over it’s over.” – Elyse Sommer
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sad love quotes to help you deal with difficult emotions.
53. “Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.” – Ovid
54. “Sometimes pain can drive a man harder than pleasure.” – Don Ingall
55. “The pain is never without purpose, and it never lasts forever. This is a chapter in your life—this is not the whole book!”― Patsy Burnette
56. “Pain can be controlled, you just disconnect it.” – James Cameron
57. “Behind every beautiful thing, there’s been some kind of pain.” – Bob Dylan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Bob Dylan quotes from the iconic Folk singer.
58. “I’m willing to accept any kind of pain to win a race.” – Rick Wohlhutter
59. “Pain is a great motivator.” – Naval Ravikant
60. “The pain of the mind is worse than the pain of the body.” – Publilius Syrus
You might also like these migraine quotes for fast relief.
Insightful pain quotes
61. “It is always by way of pain one arrives at pleasure.” – Marquis de Sade
62. “The pain of the little finger is felt by the whole body.” – Filipino Proverb
63. “Every pain is a gift. Every pain is an opportunity.” – Maxime Lagacé
64. “The best way of handling pain was to study it objectively.” – Arthur C. Clarke
65. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” – Kenji Miyazawa
66. “Top results are achieved only through pain. But eventually you like this pain.” – Juha Vaatainen
67. “Life is pain, so live it up while you can.” – Ernest Hemingway
68. “Wisdom is nothing more than healed pain.” – Robert Gary Lee
69. ”The broken heart. You think you will die, but you keep living, day after day after terrible day.” – Charles Dickens
70. “Even pain has its joy.” – Russian Proverb
Don’t forget to also check out these warrior quotes on having an unbeatable mind.
Profound pain quotes
71. “We cannot be more sensitive to pleasure without being more sensitive to pain.” – Alan Watts
72. “The pain and boredom we experience in the initial stage of learning a skill toughens our minds.” – Robert Greene
73. “Pain introduces you to your highest self.” – Paul Domenick
74. “Pain is the only evil I know about. It’s the only one I can fight.” – Walter M. Miller
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of survival quotes to motivate you to keep going.
75. “Pain can make us lash out in unexpected ways.
Pain can make us hurt those we care about.
Pain can build walls between two human souls.”― Faheemah Isaacs
76. “Of pain, you could wish only one thing: that it should stop. Nothing in the world was so bad as physical pain. In the face of pain there are no heroes.” – George Orwell
77. “The pain that you create now is always some form of nonacceptance, some form of unconscious resistance to what is.” – Eckhart Tolle
78. “God gave us pain to remind us we are alive, so we will learn to value the joys and beauty of the world.” – Tom Corr
79. “I can’t stress this enough, but pain is part of the process. It’s important to feel it.” – Mark Manson
80. “Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute, or an hour or a day, or even a year. But eventually, it will subside. And something else take its place.” – Eric Thomas
Don’t forget to also read these perseverance quotes that will inspire you to achieve the impossible.
Other pain quotes and sayings
81. “Face your life, its pain, its pleasure, leave no path untaken.” – Neil Gaiman
82. “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” – Lance Armstrong Sally Jenkins
83. “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.” – J.K. Rowling
84. “We don’t even ask happiness, just a little less pain.” – Charles Bukowski
85. “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” – Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of wise Charles Dickens quotes on self-worth, love, and more.
86. “The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That’s the deal.” – C.S. Lewis
87. “Waiting hurts. Forgetting hurts. But not knowing which decision to take can sometimes be the most painful.” – José N. Harris
88. “If you love deeply, you’re going to get hurt badly. But it’s still worth it.” – C.S. Lewis
89. “If you are silent about your pain, they’ll kill you and say you enjoyed it.” – Zora Neale Hurston
90. “When pain brings you down, don’t be silly, don’t close your eyes and cry, you just might be in the best position to see the sun shine.” – Alanis Morissett
91. “It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don’t agree. The wounds remain. Time—the mind, protecting its sanity—covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone.” — Rose Kennedy
92. “The more you victimize yourself and romanticize your pain, the more you will stay stuck in cycles of misery and resentment.” ― Rabin Paudel
93. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” — Bob Marley
94. “Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.” — Buddhist proverb
95. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” — Helen Keller
You will also enjoy our article on feeling lost quotes.
Pain quotes for when you’re hurting
96. “It is when we hurt that we learn.”— Steve Maraboli
97. “Pain doesn’t hurt as much when you stop avoiding it.”― Mel Robbins
98. “With time the pain eases, the body recovers and the brain figures out new ways to go on.”— Federico Chini
99. “From hurt comes pain, from pain comes change. If it hurts enough, change will happen.”― Tripp Evans
100. “If you can learn to endure pain, you can survive anything. Some people learn to embrace it, to love it.”― Sarah J. Maas
101. “People are taught that pain is evil and dangerous. How can they deal with love if they’re afraid to feel?”— Jim Morrison
102. “Sometimes you weren’t supposed to share pain. Sometimes it was best just to deal with it alone.”― Sarah Addison Allen
103. “We are all damaged. We have all been hurt. We have all had to learn painful lessons. We are all recovering from some mistake, loss, betrayal, abuse, injustice or misfortune.”— Bryant McGill
104. “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment. Pain of love lasts a lifetime.”― Bette Davis
105. “It hurts when people walk into your life and make you happy and then walk out and leave you hurting.”― Adrian Rayshawn
Pain quotes to give you strength to carry on
106. “The marks humans leave are too often scars.” ― John Green
107. “It’s so hard to forget pain, but it’s even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
108. “If pain must come, may it come quickly. Because I have a life to live, and I need to live it in the best way possible. If he has to make a choice, may he make it now. Then I will either wait for him or forget him.” ― Paulo Coelho
109. “The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.” ― Lois Lowry
110. “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton
111. “The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.” ― Ernest Hemingway
112. “Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.” ― George R.R. Martin
113. “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” ― Bob Marley
114. “Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart.” ― José N. Harris
115. “One thing you can’t hide – is when you’re crippled inside.” ― John Lennon
Pain quotes about life
116. “Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us.” ― David Richo
117. “…when pain is over, the remembrance of it often becomes a pleasure.” ― Jane Austen
118. “The cure for pain is in the pain.”― Rumi
119. “I’ve lived too long with pain. I won’t know who I am without it.” ― Orson Scott Card
120. “Just like there’s always time for pain, there’s always time for healing.”― Jennifer Brown
121. “If pain doesn’t lead to humility, you have wasted your suffering.” ― Katerina Stoykova Klemer
122. “These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.”― Rumi
123. “Humor was a good way to hide the pain.” ― Rick Riordan
124. “It isn’t right to wish pain on other people just because they hurt me first.” ― Veronica Roth
125. “Scars are just a treasure map for pain you’ve buried too deep to remember.” ― Jodi Picoult
Short Pain Quotes To Enlighten You
126. “Recycle your pain, allow your pain to reach you to greatness.” ― Eric Thomas
127. “The deeper the feeling, the greater the pain.” ― Leonardo da Vinci
128. “History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.” ― Maya Angelou
129. “Sweet is pleasure after pain.” ― John Dryden
130. “Learn the lesson of your pain.” ― Gary Null
131. “Truly, a life in constant pain is the life of the damned.” ― Christopher Pike
132. “Pain is only temporary. Quitting is forever!” ― Lance Armstrong
133. “When you fall, feel the pain. And then stand up. You were born for victory. And failure has no place in your world.” ― Robin Sharma
134. “Even pain pricks to livelier living.” ― Amy Lowell
135. “The trick is not how much pain you feel – but how much joy you feel.” ― Erica Jong
Emotional pain quotes
136. “The best people all have some kind of scar.”― Kiera Cass
137. “I have been crying my whole life and you are still wishing for the rain.”― Wrushank Sorte
138. “Among my stillness was a pounding heart.”― Shannon A. Thompson
139. “Emotional suffering comes as a result of trying to control the uncontrollable”
― Matt Purcell
140. “Emotional pain cannot kill you, but running from it can. Allow. Embrace. Let yourself feel. Let yourself heal.”― Vironika Tugaleva
141. “As convincing as it may seem, physical pain often arises merely to distract us from emotional pain.”― Charles F. Glassman
142. “Take all the time you need to heal emotionally. Moving on doesn’t take a day, it takes lots of little steps to be able to break free of your broken self.”― Tere Arigo
143. “Emotional fetters may hurt but they lead us to profound lessons of life.”― Balroop Singh
144. “Don’t try to look for logic in things that involve feelings and emotions.”― Garima Soni
145. “Most of the pain we feel is nothing more than a story that needs telling.”― Ashly Lorenzana
Pain Quotes To Help You Overcome Trying Times
146. “The only way to learn compassion is through your heart; you have to back up and pass through your own pain.” — Matthew Fox
147. “You will know how to stop suffering as soon as suffering ceases to be valuable. If you are in pain, you are being led.” — Martha Beck
148. “Everything passes. Joy. Pain. The moment of triumph; the sigh of despair. Nothing lasts forever – not even this.” — Paul Stewart
149. “Everyone in life is gonna hurt you, you just have to figure out which people are worth the pain.” — Bob Marley
150. “Loss and hardships are unavoidable in life, however, “how” we deal with our pain is what will make us or break us.” — Melanie Willard
151. “No one escapes pain, fear, and suffering. Yet from pain can come wisdom, from fear can come courage, from suffering can come strength – if we have the virtue of resilience.” — Eric Greitens
152. “Pain destroys the illusions of false, that is, elitist pleasures. It burns from the inside out. It, therefore, sensitizes us to what is truly beautiful in life.” — Matthew Fox
153. “Pain is a gift. Humanity, without pain, would know neither fear nor pity.” — Dean Koontz
154. “Alas, there isn’t a pain-free way to achieve your goals.” — Seth
155. “Give thanks for sorrow that teaches you pity; for pain that teaches you courage.” — Robert Nathan
Pain Quotes To Help You Overcome Painful Stages In Life
156. “Real pain can alone cure us of imaginary ills.” ― Jonathan Edwards
157. “Laughter does not deny pain. Laughter – like a wail – acknowledges and replies to pain.” ― Tim O’Brien
158. “To render ourselves insensible to pain we must forfeit also the possibilities of happiness.” ― John Lubbock
159. “Desire is a pain which seeks easement through possession.” ― Jack London
160. “Knowing pain is a very important ingredient of being there for another person.” ― Pema Chodron
161. “You must be willing to accept the fact that pain is a part of the process of revelation.” ― Stanley Crouch
162. “The reward of pain is experience.” ― Aeschylus
163. “Why cling to the pain and the wrongs of yesterday? Why hold on to the very things that keep you from hope and love.” ― Gautama Buddha
164. “The pains and pleasures of the body, howsoever important to ourselves, are an indelicate subject of conversation.” ― Edward Gibbon
165. “Perhaps the greatest faculty our minds possess is the ability to cope with pain.” ― Patrick Rothfuss
Pain Quotes To Give You Hope In Life
166. “Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.” ― William Goldman
167. “Time doesn’t heal emotional pain, you need to learn how to let go.” ― Roy T. Bennett
168. “I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.” ― James Baldwin
169. “Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?” ― John Keats
170. “But who can remember pain, once it’s over? All that remains of it is a shadow, not in the mind even, in the flesh. Pain marks you, but too deep to see. Out of sight, out of mind.”
― Margaret Atwood
171. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” ― Shannon L. Alder
172. “There are ships sailing to many ports, but not a single one goes where life is not painful.” ― Fernando Pessoa
173. “Never hide things from hardcore thinkers. They get more aggravated, more provoked by confusion than the most painful truths.” ― Criss Jami
174. “I could never hurt him enough to make his betrayal stop hurting. And it hurts, in every part of my body.” ― Veronica Roth
175. “I always hated when my scars started to fade, because as long as I could still see them, I knew why I was hurting.” ― Jodi Picoult
Pain Quotes to Find Strength in Pain
176. “I think the challenge is to takedifficult and painful times and turn them into something beneficial, something that makes you grow.” ― Michelle Akers
177. “Never give up, no matter how hard life gets no matter how much pain you feel. Pain will eventually subside, nothing remains forever, so keep going and don’t give up.” ― Imran Khan
178. “Through pain I’ve learned to comfort suffering men.” ― Virgil
179. “When you see the results, you forget the pain.” ― Avi Arad
180. “Grace strikes us when we are in great pain and restlessness.” ― Paul Tillich
181. “The truth may hurt, but love helps ease the pain.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
182. “I used to believe my art had to be about the things that brought me joy and gave me hope. But I learned that art can be found in all of life, even in pain.” ― Adriana Trigiani
183. “A life of rest and peace in God is good; a life of pain lived in patience is still better; but to have peace in a life of pain is best of all.” ― Meister Eckhart
184. “There is no gains without pain.” ― Benjamin Franklin
185. “Nobody suddenly discovers anything. Thing are made slowly and in pain.” ― Hugh Jackman
Which of these pain quotes was your favorite?
Life is full of ups and downs.
When you experience pain, you might think you are alone.
But the reality is everyone in the world goes through difficult times; regardless of his or her status.
As these pain quotes have shown, hurt is a part of growing up and it’s how we learn.
The next time you go through a painful experience, remember the above words and keep going.
Which of these pain quotes inspired you most?
Do you have any other favorite pain quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below.
January 26, 2023 5:00 AM EST