Jiu-Jitsu Quotes For The Fighter In You
January 2, 2023 7:00 AM EST
These Jiu-Jitsu quotes offer insight into the rules and preferences of this game.
Read these quotes for a boost of motivation.
Jiu-Jitsu isn’t an ordinary type of martial art, as it involves knocking out the opponent with a combination of mind and muscle power.
If you want to know more about Jiu-Jitsu, just continue reading.
Here, we have gathered the top Jiu-Jitsu quotes and some background info regarding this Brazilian martial art.
So, let’s get started.
What is Jiu-Jitsu?
The term “Jiu-Jitsu” comes from the combination of two Japanese words “Jū” (gentle) and “Jutsu”(art).
Hence, Jiu-Jitsu is a gentle art of fighting and another type of martial art.
Also known as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), it relies on various principles of leverage, pressure, angles, and timing.
It also involves knowledge of human anatomy, which is necessary to prevent injuring the opponent.
BJJ is different from other types of martial arts as it focuses on grappling techniques, and no kicks or punches are involved.
The players try to apply chokes and put down the opponent through joint manipulations.
Physical benefits of Jiu-Jitsu
Honestly, there are many physical benefits of Jiu Jitsu.
Some of them are listed below:
- Jiu-Jitsu offers a true combination of explosive and dynamic fighting movements.
- It involves pressure-based isometric pulling, pushing as well as holding.
- Practicing Jiu-Jitsu helps to strengthen cardiac muscles and promote better blood flow.
- It also helps with weight loss and improves the overall tone of your muscles.
- Since the player constantly monitors and responds to the opponent’s movements, Jiu-Jitsu improves hand-eye contact.
- Jiu-Jitsu also improves your balance, raises body awareness, and improves your ability to react.
- Jiu-Jitsu is an excellent workout for improving mental and physical areas.
- It helps to develop reasoning skills through constant planning.
Take a moment and look through our collection of Jiu-Jitsu quotes.
Top 10 Jiu-Jitsu quotes
The top 10 Jiu-Jitsu quotes are listed below for you to read and enjoy.
1. “Jiu-Jitsu is my therapy, my passion, my life.” — Matt Serra
2. “The best thing about Jiu-Jitsu is the honor it provides.” — Fabio Gurgel
3. “Turning the other cheek is a kind of moral jiu-jitsu.” — Gerald Stanley Lee
4. “There is no losing in Jiu-Jitsu. You either win or you learn.” — Carlos Gracie, Jr.
5. “Travis Lutter is like the Michael Jordan of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.” — Mike Goldberg
6. “Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.” — Helio Gracie
7. “Jiu Jitsu is about waiting for the right time to do the right move.” — Ryron Gracie
8. “Everything about Jiu-Jitsu, I love it – the school, the mat, the ring.” — Marcelo Garcia
9. “Jiu-Jitsu has been one of the most valuable tools I’ve ever had in my life.” — Joe Rogan
10. “I don’t know Jiu-Jitsu, I don’t know wrestling, all I know is how to fight.” — James Toney
Jiu-Jitsu quotes about culture
The Jiu-Jitsu quotes listed in this section are about the cultural theme behind this type of martial art.
11. “Spend more time in a Jiu Jitsu gi than in street clothes.” — Ryron Gracie
12. “The essential characteristic of jiu-jitsu is very simple. It’s the science and art of control that leads to submission.” — John Danaher
13. “The ground is my ocean, I’m the shark, and most people don’t even know how to swim.” — Carlos Machado
14. “When you do Jiu Jitsu, you won’t look at a bigger guy and say ‘oh no’, you’ll look and say ‘how interesting’” — Rener Gracie
15. “Jiu Jitsu at the end of the day, is the art of expressing yourself honestly. Every time you put on a Gi, you can’t lie.” — Saulo Ribeiro
16. “I’ve been training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu all my life. Boxing, kickboxing. I’m definitely not a fighter, but I defend my honor.” — Spencer Pratt
17. “When you first start to do jiu-jitsu everyone has the goal of being a black belt. You want to be great at everything you do.” — Junior dos Santos
18. “The pine fought the storm and broke. The willow yielded to the wind and snow and did not break. Practice Jiu-Jitsu in just this way.” — Kano Jigoro
19. “I wasn’t a good student, and even now I never say that I am better than anybody, but I know I love Jiu Jitsu more than anybody. I love the energy and that it gets deeper the more you study.” — Marcelo Garcia
20. “The big, strong, tough guy goes to class, and he keeps getting tapped by the skinny, technical guy. It begins to change him. It makes him humble. That’s what Jiu Jitsu does to you. It makes you humble.” — Relson Gracie
Jiu-Jitsu quotes about the fight
By reading these Jiu-Jitsu quotes, you can understand the key principles of this sport.
21. “There’s more philosophy in jiu-jitsu mats than in any Ivy League school in America.” — Renzo Gracie
22. “The idea of jiu-jitsu is to give the little guy a chance to beat the big guy.” — Royce Gracie
23. “For me, I learnt from jiu-jitsu and martial arts to be humble and to go forward in life in a positive way.” — Ricardo Liborio
24. “If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength you get tired. And if you get tired, you die!” — Saulo Ribeiro
25. “Jiu Jitsu is a mousetrap. The trap does not chase the mouse. But when the mouse grabs the cheese, the trap plays its role.” — Helio Gracie
26. “When you’re training for jiu-jitsu, particularly if you’re training for a competition, you have to be pretty prescribed in the variety of what you eat.” — Anthony Bourdain
27. “The best thing that could’ve happened to me was that I learned a lot in Vegas, but I didn’t know how to implement it. Whenever I came to Texas, all we had was Marc Laimon, jiu-jitsu coach.” — Johny Hendricks
28. “I did do some things different [in John Wick 2], but it’s different on basically the same things. Because I have the background from the first film, it was really the first time I was doing judo and jiu-jitsu.” — Keanu Reeves
29. “Jiu-jitsu puts you completely in the moment, where you must have a complete focus on finding a solution to the problem. This trains the mind to build that focus, to increase your awareness, your capacity to solve problems.” — Rickson Gracie
30. “I will continue dedicating myself to MMA in 2015, but fighting in the ADCC interests me, yes.. The Jiu-Jitsu Worlds does not interest me, I see fighters with a different goal from mine. They want to hold your sleeve, grab you and wait for time to pass.” — Kron Gracie
Jiu Jitsu quotes that are truly amazing
If you love Jiu Jitsu, you are also going to love these quotes, as these Jiu Jitsu quotes are exceptionally amazing.
31. “I do Jiu Jitsu so I can protect you when I fight you.” — Ryron Gracie
32. “Sometimes, you don’t have to win, you cannot win. But that has nothing to do with losing.” — Rickson Gracie
33. “To be good at Jiu-Jitsu it’s all about believing and training, there isn’t that much else you can do.” — Rodolfo Vieira
34. “A real jiu-jitsu fighter does not go around beating people down. Our defense is made to neutralize aggression.” — Helio Gracie
35. “I don’t know any real jiu-jitsu or judo or anything. I do movie kung fu. With that, you can fake a punch, but you can’t really fake a judo throw.” — Keanu Reeves
36. “I’m training at everything. Jiu-Jitsu, wrestling, striking. Everything. I think to be in the UFC, you have to be well rounded at everything. That’s the goal.” — CM Punk
37. “Jiu-Jitsu is a baptism by combat and serves a purpose in the inner life of the individual that has always existed, but our modern culture fails to acknowledge.” — Chris Matakas
38. “I’ ve always been a fan of the basics. After you have a good solid foundation of Jiu-Jitsu, the rest comes by instinct. You create, invent. The rest is easy. The difficult part is the beginning.” — Carlos Gracie, Jr.
39. “Jiu-jitsu is the gentle art. It’s the art where a small man (or woman is going to prove to you, no matter how strong you are, no matter how mad you get, that you’re going to have to accept defeat. That’s what Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is.” — Saulo Ribeiro
40. “My wife was easy because she trains [jiu-jitsu] all the time. She’s pretty much on a completely different diet. I always just threw meat at her and she’s happy on a 100 percent protein diet, so we seldom ate together.” —Anthony Bourdain
Other interesting Jiu-Jitsu quotes
Here are other options if you are still looking for the perfect Jiu-Jitsu quote.
41. “Anger brought me to Jiu-Jitsu, but love made me stay.” — Abmar Barbosa
42. “Jiu-Jitsu is not the art of hitting, it’s the art of not getting hit.” — Royce Gracie
43. “Jiu-jitsu is very competitive. The winner can brag, the loser can keep quiet.” — Roberto Atalla
44. “Jiu-jitsu is personal efficiency to protect the weaker, which anyone can do. It is the force of leverage against brute force.” — Helio Gracie
45. “Learn Gracie Jiu-Jitsu so that when a giant walks by, you don’t think to yourself ‘oh no,’ you think to yourself ‘how interesting!” — Rener Gracie
46. “If you are not comfortable to deal with an opponent 50 lbs heavier than you, there is something wrong with your Jiu Jitsu.” — Rickson Gracie
47. “I’m a very focused person. If I’m focusing on something I don’t like distractions and I like to just do that one thing. And Jiu-Jitsu and MMA basically became that one thing for me.” — Gunnar Nelson
48. “Jiu-Jitsu for sure will save your ass, one way or another. Not necessarily a physical fight but also being able to deal with yourself, know about yourself, and really improve yourself as a whole.” — Kron Gracie
49. “Jiu-Jitsu forges friendships in a way I’ve never known. Being involved in art as intimate as this, where the bodily connection is a must, the common cultural boundaries of personal space are broken.” — Chris Matakas
50. “Anyone who is serious about jiu-jitsu should know that the ability to defeat an opponent is nothing more than a metaphor for the ultimate combat, for the most significant victories are the ones we accomplish within ourselves.” — Rorion Gracie
Which of these Jiu-Jitsu quotes is your favorite?
The Jiu-Jitsu quotes and sayings listed above are impressive and inspiring.
These quotes are all about what it takes to become a Jiu-Jitsu fighter and how different it is from other martial arts.
Overall, reading these quotes can offer you the best possible experience.
If you like a specific Jiu-Jitsu quote, please mention it in the comments below.