Revisit some classic pieces of literature with our Lorraine Hansberry quotes.
Lorraine Hansberry was an American playwright, novelist, and writer.
She won the hearts of millions of readers with her powerful prose.
Learn how this genius writer addressed sensitive yet, critical topics with our Lorraine Hansberry quotes.
Who was Lorraine Hansberry?
One of her most well-known and celebrated stories is A Raisin in the Sun.
Check out these awesome Lorraine Hansberry facts:
- Hansberry worked at the Pan-African Newspaper Freedom.
- She wrote and worked with Paul Robeson and W.E.B Dubois.
- Lorraine was the first African American woman to win the New York Drame Critics Circle Award.
Lorraine Hasberry’s career and impact
Lorrain Hansberry is much more than a writer.
She is the first African-American female author to have a play performed on Broadway.
Her family was also behind the US Supreme Court case Hansberry v. Lee, which challenged racial covenants and racist zoning laws.
Why is A Raisin in the Sun such an essential story?
A Raisin in the Sun tells the story of an African-American family living in segregation-era Chicago.
For anyone unaware, the United States had many years where the law dictated that people be separated by race.
For years, this behavior was normalized.
Many historians attribute the works of brilliant authors as pioneering efforts to evolve society.
Books like The Narrative of Frederick Douglass, The Life of Olaudah Equiano, and The Writings of Phylis Wheatley humanized the lives of African Americans for a national audience.
People’s empathy levels increased when they saw or read A Rasin in the Sun.
Witnessing how segregation impacted African Americans’ lives opened the masses’ hearts and minds.
The after-effects of bearing witness to these experiences were law and policy change.
How did Lorraine Hansberry die?
Did you know that African Americans are at the highest risk factor for cancer death?
These trends are not new.
Lorraine Hansberry died from complications due to pancreatic cancer.
Of her death, legendary writer James Baldwin lamented the following:
“It is not at all farfetched to suspect that what she saw contributed to the strain which killed her.”
He also added, “For the effort to which Lorraine was dedicated is more than enough to kill a man.”
To learn more, check out our Lorraine Hansberry quotes below.
Short Lorrain Hansberry quotes about caring
We start off with some short Lorrain Hansberry quotes about caring about everything.
1. “I care.” — Lorraine Hansberry
2. “I care about it all.” — Lorraine Hansberry
3. “I was born black and female.” — Lorraine Hansberry
4. “It takes too much energy not to care.” — Lorraine Hansberry
5. “Never be afraid to sit a while and think.” — Lorraine Hansberry
The top Lorrain Hansberry quotes about living your best life
Her work demonstrates that Hansberry believed everyone could reach their potential.
6. “I wish to live.” — Lorraine Hansberry
7. I wish others to live for generations and generations and generations.” — Lorraine Hansberry
8. “I wish to live because life has within it that which is good, that which is beautiful, and that which is love.” — Lorraine Hansberry
9. “I think that the human race does command its own destiny and that that destiny can eventually embrace the stars.” — Lorraine Hansberry
10. “Child, when do you think is the time to love somebody the most; when they done good and made things easy for everybody?” — Lorraine Hansberry
Famous Lorrain Hansberry quotes about Black America
Here Lorrain opens up about the conditions of African Americans.
11. “There is always something left to love. And if you haven’t learned that, you ain’t learned nothing.” — Lorraine Hansberry
12. “The acceptance of our condition is the only form of extremism which discredits us before our children.” — Lorraine Hansberry
13. “Negroes must concern themselves with every single means of struggle: legal, illegal, passive, active, violent and non-violent.” — Lorraine Hansberry
14. “Though it be a thrilling and marvelous thing to be merely young and gifted in such times, it is doubly so to be young, gifted and black.” — Lorraine Hansberry
15. “They must harass, debate, petition, boycott, sing hymns, pray on steps–and shoot from their windows when the racists come cruising through their communities.” — Lorraine Hansberry
Deep Lorrain Hansberry quotes to make you think
Lorrain became one of America’s most talented writers by making astute observations.
16. “I wish to live because life has within it that which is good, that which is beautiful, and that which is love.” — Lorraine Hansberry
17. “The thing that makes you exceptional, if you are at all, is inevitably that which must also make you lonely.” — Lorraine Hansberry
18. “One cannot live with sighted eyes and feeling heart and not know and read of the miseries which affect the world.” — Lorraine Hansberry
19. “I believe that one of the most sound ideas in dramatic writing is that in order to create the universal, you must pay very great attention to the specific.” — Lorraine Hansberry
20. “A woman who is willing to be herself and pursue her own potential runs not so much the risk of loneliness, as the challenge of exposure to more interesting men and people in general.” — Lorraine Hansberry
Classic Lorrain Hansberry quotes and sayings
Let’s close our list with some of the quotes that made Hansberry such an accomplished writer.
21. “I want to fly! I want to touch the sun! Finish your eggs first.” — Lorraine Hansberry
22. “I look at you, and I see the final triumph of stupidity in the world!” — Lorraine Hansberry
23. “I think that virtually every human being is dramatically interesting.” — Lorraine Hansberry
24. “I think that the glorious thing about the human race is that it does change the world — constantly.” — Lorraine Hansberry
25. “The world or ‘life’ may seem to more often overwhelm the human being’s capacity for struggling against being overwhelmed, which is remarkable and exhilarating.” — Lorraine Hansberry
Gone but not forgotten
Lorraine Hansberry may have ended her physical journey here on earth, but her impact remains for all of us to learn from.
She once said the following:
“Do I remain a revolutionary? Intellectually, without a doubt. But am I prepared to give my body to the struggle or even my comforts? This is what I puzzle about.”
What is your favorite Lorraine Hansberry quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
We all dream big, but big dreams take initiative to make happen.
Everyday Power’s motivation section is all about developing the mindset to be resilient and persevere over whatever obstacles you have in your life.
Introduce yourself to some wise words and concepts that will provide inspiration or advice to help us fulfill our potential and allow us to live the life we were destined to live.
Your mindset is the most powerful tool that you have, and the best thing you can do with it is to remind yourself of all the good in your life each morning using positive affirmations.
Check out these related quote articles:
Physical and emotional pain are an undeniable part of the human experience; these pain quotes prove it.
Here are our favorite funny motivational quotes about life, work, and becoming successful.
In life, some moments mark the beginning of a new chapter—a chance to turn the page, as seen in these new beginning quotes.
Words of wisdom are helpful to anyone looking to get inspired through words that are as powerful as they are meaningful.