Revisit a Hollywood classic with our My Fair Lady quotes.
My Fair Lady is one of Audrey Hepburn’s best performances.
Many My Fair Lady fans debate the role of misogyny in the film.
Does her role as Eliza Hepburn depict a woman who overcomes misogyny, or does the film reinforce patriarchal stereotypes about women?
Check out our My Fair Lady quotes to learn more.
What is My Fair Lady?
My Fair Lady is a 1964 film starring Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Dootlite and Rex Harrison as Dr. Henry Higgins.
Check out these interesting My Fair Lady facts:
- The film is a remake of the Broadway musical.
- The Broadway musical is a remake of the Greek myth of Pygmalion.
- My Fair Lady is one of the most awarded and critically acclaimed films.
What is My Fair Lady about?
In the film, Higgins is a professor of linguistics who believes a person’s tone and accent determine their quality of life.
He suggests that he can “teach” anyone to work off an accent and communicate like a member of high society.
Dr. Higgins makes a bet with a colleague that he can teach a working-class flower seller at the market how to become the “perfect woman.”
The film tells the story of Higgins’ attempt to take Eliza Doolittle from blue-collar flower seller to passing as the “Dutchess at an embassy ball.”
During her transformation, Eliza experiences a glow-up that comes with a price.
Her integrity is challenged, and her self-esteem suffers, but she has access to the finest clothes, jewelry, and wealthy associates.
My Fair Lady and the misogyny debate
We almost inevitably cringe whenever we rewatch some classics from the past.
As times change, values change, and what was culturally acceptable for one generation is not always appropriate for the next.
My Fair Lady won eight Academy Awards, including best picture.
The question remains:
Is this a misogynistic film or a film about misogyny?
Some suggest the film depicts a strong woman who overcame the wiley guises of men who attempted to use her as a chess piece.
Others say the film represents sexist language and outdated belief systems reinforcing negative stereotypes about women.
Such is the beauty of art, as it gives power to the observer.
To learn more, check out our My Fair Lady quotes.
Short My Fair Lady quotes from Eliza Doolittle
We start with these short and passionate quotes from Eliza.
1. “But I won’t be passed over!” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
2. “I don’t care how you treat me.” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
3. “I don’t mind your swearing at me.” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
4. “I shouldn’t mind a black eye; I’ve had one before this.” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
5. “But I can get along without you. Don’t you think I can’t!” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
More My Fair Lady quotes from Eliza about common flowers
As the star of the film, Eliza has a lot to say.
Her common flower analogy is memorable.
6. “Come on, Dover! Come on, Dover! Move your bloomin’ arse!” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
7. “The difference between a lady and a flower girl is not how she behaves, but how she is treated.” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
8. “He always showed what he thought and felt about me as if I were something better than a common flower girl.” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
9. “But I know that I shall always be a lady to Colonel Pickering, because he always treats me like a lady, and always will.” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
10. “I shall always be a common flower girl to Professor Higgins because he always treats me like a common flower girl, and always will.” — Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady
Famous My Fair Lady quotes from Mrs. Eynsford-Hill
Check out these interesting quotes from Mrs. Eynsford-Hill
11. “Dear me!” — Mrs. Eynsford-Hill, My Fair Lady
12. “I do hope we won’t have any unseasonable cold spells; they bring on so much influenza. And the whole of our family is susceptible to it.” — Mrs. Eynsford-Hill, My Fair Lady
13. “But it can’t have been right for your father to be pouring spirits down her throat like that.” — Mrs. Eynsford-Hill, My Fair Lady
14. “It could have killed her.” — Mrs. Eynsford-Hill, My Fair Lady
15. “Surely you don’t think someone killed her?” — Mrs. Eynsford-Hill, My Fair Lady
The best My Fair Lady quotes from Prof. Henry Higgins
The professor is the one who wants Eliza to evolve.
16. “Well then, get out of my way, for I won’t stop for you.” — Prof. Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady
17. “You see, the great secret, Eliza, is not a question of good manners or bad manners, or any particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls.” — Prof. Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady
18. “I said I’d make a woman, and indeed, I did. I knew that I could do it, I knew it, I knew it!” — Prof. Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady
19. “The question is not whether I treat you rudely, but whether you’ve ever heard me treat anyone else better.” — Prof. Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady
20. “You talk about me as though I were a motor bus.” — Prof. Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady
My Fair Lady quotes and sayings from Mrs. Higgins
We start our list with these short and sweet quotes from Mrs. Higgins.
21. “How ever did you learn good manners with my son around?” — Mrs. Higgins, My Fair Lady
22. “Do you mean to say that after you’d done this wonderful thing for them without making a single mistake, they just sat there, never said a word to you?” — Mrs. Higgins, My Fair Lady
23. “Never petted you or admired you or told you how splendid you’d been?” — Mrs. Higgins, My Fair Lady
24. “No, my dear.” — Mrs. Higgins, My Fair Lady
25. “It’s the new slang, meaning someone has killed her.” — Mrs. Higgins, My Fair Lady
Classics never go out of style
My Fair Lady is a classic that stands the test of time.
This film remains relevant as a story that speaks to the human condition.
It answers the question, what happens when we sell our soul?
Do you have a favorite My Fair Lady quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Love random facts? Then you will love this list of exciting information about everyday objects that could, one day, save your life.
Feel like everyone is more successful than you? Success is difficult, especially if you are doing something extraordinary!
Negative people in your life will only bring you down. Read this to learn why you need to kick negative friends the curb.
To achieve success, you need to have self-preservation. Here are the 4 important factors to include in your self-preservation plan.
Check out these related quote articles:
This biographical sports movie is based on the true story of African-American coach Herman Boone, who integrated the T. C. Williams High School football team in Alexandria, Virginia in 1971.
As these experience quotes will show you, life is about, well, allowing it to happen, and then allowing yourself to learn from the events that have happened to you.
These inspiring positive energy quotes will lift your spirits and elevate your mindset.
Sometimes thinking outside of the box has the power to open a window of opportunity you may never have realized.