This collection of Princess Diaries quotes comes from the movie and the books.
The Princess Diaries is a coming-of-age story about Mia Thermopolis, an American teenager who discovers that she is actually the princess of Genovia in Europe.
This tale was originally published as a series of young adult novels written by Meg Cabot before being adapted into a movie starring Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews.
Have you read The Princess Diaries books or watched The Princess Diaries movie before?
However you’re familiar with this incredible story, you’ll love this collection of inspirational quotes. Reading through this list of famous lines will make you fall in love with the characters of this world all over again. This story is a fun adventure and also an inspirational tale of bravery and authenticity.
Share these Princess Diaries quotes with your friends and family to brighten their day.
Don’t forget to also check out these Princess Leia quotes for Star Wars fans.
Princess Diaries movie quotes
1. “See, if I were Princess of Genovia, then my thoughts and the thoughts of people smarter than me would be much better heard, and just maybe those thoughts could be turned into actions. So this morning when I woke up, I was Mia Thermopolis. But now I choose to be forevermore, Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, Princess of Genovia.” – Mia Thermopolis
2. “From now on you’ll be traveling the road between who you think you are and who you can be. The key is to allow yourself to make the journey.” – Edward Renaldi
3. “Just in case I wasn’t enough of a freak already, let’s add a tiara!” – Mia Thermopolis
4. “It’s not appropriate for royalty to jingle.” – Queen Clarisse Renaldi
5. “I don’t feel protected. You try living for 15 years thinking that you’re one person, and then in five minutes, you find out you’re a princess.” – Mia Thermopolis
6. “No matter how many times you press that, it will still go up and down the same way.” – Joe
7. “Please don’t crush my soy nuts.” – Mia Thermopolis
8. “The student body may be morally bankrupt, but that doesn’t mean they’re blind!” – Lilly Moscovitz
9. “I don’t want to rule my own country, I just want to pass the tenth grade.” – Mia Thermopolis
10. “It was just last night that San Francisco’s own little princess partied at the beach. But what started out as innocent fun, soon turned into allegedly, too much fun.” – Suki Sanchez
11. “No longer does Mia stand for missing in action, Genovia has a new princess!” – Nelson Davenport
12. “I have never put on pantihose before, but it sounds dangerous.” – Joe
13. “You have a cousin who’s a contessa. Fondly known as Bartholomew. Actually, we call him Pookie.” – Queen Clarisse Renaldi
14. “I can’t be a princess! I’m still waiting for normal body parts to arrive!” – Mia Thermopolis
15. “Normally I get so nervous that I faint or run away, or sometimes I even get sick. But you really didn’t need to know that… but I’m not so afraid anymore. See, my father helped me. Earlier this evening, I had every intention of giving up my claim to the throne. And my mother helped me, by telling me it was ok, and by supporting me like she has for my entire life. But then I wondered how I’d feel after abdicating my role as Princess of Genovia. Would I feel relieved, or would I feel sad? And then I realized how many stupid times a day I use the word ‘I.’ And probably all I ever do is think about myself. And how lame is that when there’s like seven billion other people out there on the planet, and… sorry, I’m going too fast. But then I thought, if I cared about the other seven billion out there, instead of just me, that’s probably a much better use of my time.” – Mia Thermopolis
More Princess Diaries quotes from the movies
16. “Is your mom dating an undertaker?” – Lilly Moscovitz
17. “You know, most kids hope for a car for their 16th birthday, not a country!” – Mia Thermopolis
18. “Somebody sat on me again!” – Mia Thermopolis
19. “I love your eyebrows. We’ll call them Frieda and Kahlo. If Brooke Shields married Groucho Marx, their child would have your eyebrows!” – Paolo
20. “Everybody’s got pre-coronation jitters, including me. Everybody that is, except Fat Louie. He’s totally adapted to being a royal. I guess he was one all along.” – Mia Thermopolis
21. “I’m taking your charm off of my charm bracelet and it’s going in the dirt!” – Lilly Moscovitz
22. “Princess, look out the window… and welcome to Genovia.” – Joe
23. “Oh, come on, girls! It’s a ball, not a snake. Back information!” – Vice Principal Gupta
24. “Tell me, how does my mother, or any person for that matter, go into a parent/teacher conference and come out with a date?” – Mia Thermopolis
25. “This is a non-riot hearse. If it were a hearse, there would be silence in the backseat.” – Joe
26. “Time for school! Stop daydreaming, you’ll be late for school.” – Helen Thermopolis
27. “The flags mean I can park anywhere I want. We keep the flags.” – Joe
28. “Just stop it, okay? Just because your hair sucks, get off mine!” – Mia Thermopolis
29. “Mia Thermopolis is the daughter of local eclectic artist, Helen Thermopolis. They currently live in a refurbished firehouse south of Market Street. Mia is also the only grandchild of Queen Clarisse Renaldi, whose husband, King Rupert, passed away last year.” – Nelson Davenport
30. “Michael, can you just pretend you have a life for just one moment?” – Lilly Moscovitz
31. “Mia, you can’t run away from everything!” – Helen Thermopolis
32. “Is this punishment for driving without a licensed driver in the front seat?! I am invisible, and I am wet.” – Mia Thermopolis
33. “Strange town, San Francisco. When I purchased the pumps, they asked if I wanted them wrapped or if I was going to wear them.” – Joe
34. “Helen, if Amelia refuses to accept the throne, then Genovia will cease to exist as we know it.” – Queen Clarisse Renaldi
35. “Dear Diary, today is my first official day as Princess of Genovia. We’ll land in a few hours, and I’ll meet Parliament and the people before beginning my royal duties.” – Mia Thermopolis
Princess Diaries book quotes
36. “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear; The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all.” – Meg Cabot
37. “Maybe nobody has a right to tell anybody to shut up. Maybe this is how wars get started because someone tells someone else to shut up, and then no one will apologize.” – Meg Cabot
38. “Needless to say, the fact that he actually spoke to me at all practically caused me to pass out. And then the fact that he was actually saying something that sounded like it might be a prelude to asking me out – well, I nearly threw up. I mean it. I felt really sick, but in a good way.” – Meg Cabot
39. “Actually, it’s scary. Scarier than Freddy Kruger and Jason put together.” – Meg Cabot
40. “I mean it. Like, people always talk about how God doesn’t ever give you more than you can handle, but I’m telling you right now, I cannot handle this. This is just too much!” – Meg Cabot
41. “My life is a convoluted web of lies.” – Meg Cabot
42. “I’m not going to tell anybody, not even Lilly. Lilly would NOT understand. NOBODY would understand. Because nobody I know has ever been in this situation before. Nobody ever went to bed one night as one person and then woke up the next morning to find out that she was somebody completely different.” – Meg Cabot
43. “I whirled around. “It wasn’t just a kiss,” I said. I was getting really mad. “Maybe that’s how you wanted it to look like it was just a kiss. But you and I both know what it really was: A media event. And one that you’ve been planning since you saw me in the Post. Well, thank you, Josh, but I can get my own publicity. I don’t need you.” – Meg Cabot
44. “Lana looked at me like I’d just said I’d never watched Bring It On, or something.” – Meg Cabot
45. “I didn’t know what I was supposed to say about that, so I just said, “Wow” – Meg Cabot
46. “You know in sixth grade when they made all of us girls go into this other room and watch a video about getting our periods and stuff? I bet while we were gone, the boys were watching a video about how to look at each other in that infuriating way.” – Meg Cabot
47. “But Mom’s been depressed ever since her last boyfriend turned out to be a Republican.” – Meg Cabot
48. “What is the appropriate reply to make to a man who says he loves you? Thank you. You are very kind.” – Meg Cabot
49. “Lilly says I have an overactive imagination and a pathological need to invent drama in my life.” – Meg Cabot
50. “Is everything all right? Is everything all right? Hmm, hold on a minute, let me see . . . my mom is going out with my Algebra teacher, a subject I’m flunking, by the way; my best friend hates me; I’m fourteen years old and I’ve never been asked out; I don’t have any breasts; and oh, I just found out I’m the princess of Genovia.” – Meg Cabot
What are your favorite Princess Diaries quotes from the books and movie?
The story of Mia Thermopolis learning to accept herself is an inspirational and endearing tale. As this teenager tries to navigate the world of royalty, she also discovers her own hopes and dreams. These Princess Diaries quotes will make you believe that anything is possible as long as you remain true to yourself.
The Princess Diaries books first explored the incredible world of Genovia and introduced us all to Mia Thermopolis. Then, the story was adapted into a film and eventually even inspired a sequel, The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.
This collection of Princess Diaries quotes covers the entire story of Mia Thermopolis across the books and films. Whether you’re a fan of the novels or movies, you’ll love these amazing quotes.
What are your favorite Princess Diaries quotes and lines about courage and authenticity? Let us know in the comment section below.
January 18, 2021 7:00 AM EST