Our latest collection of hate quotes will help you understand this dark side of human nature.
Hatred is a feeling that everyone has experienced in their lives.
It’s easy to feel hateful especially if you’ve been betrayed or hurt by someone you trusted.
Tell us your favorite hate quote in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading these hate quotes?
Hate is a profound emotion that can pollute your spirit and poison your soul.
If you have hate in your life, you probably know how damaging and mind-consuming it can become.
- weaken you emotionally
- affect your body’s organs and natural processes
- make other people want to avoid you
Although it’s human nature to feel hate, you shouldn’t let your emotions get the best of you.
When you begin to feel hateful thoughts, consciously challenge them and replace them with calmer rational thoughts.
Understand why you’re feeling hateful and find a solution to the problem.
Besides, you can talk to someone you trust to help ease the negative feelings.
Below you’ll find our collection of inspirational, profound, and helpful hate quotes, hate sayings, and hate proverbs collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also, don’t forget to read our collection of quotes about jealousy.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Hate quotes on the dark side of human nature
1. “I feel like we’ll forever live in a country that’s divided… Divided by race… Divided by love and hate.” – Raheem DeVaughn
You will also enjoy our article on naughty quotes.
2. ”In time we hate that which we often fear.”- William Shakespeare
You will also enjoy our article on hurt quotes.
3. ”Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
You will also enjoy our article on resentment quotes.
4. ”Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too.”- Will Smith
You will also enjoy our article on disappointment quotes 2.
5. “From the deepest desires often come the deadliest hate.” – Socrates
You will also enjoy our article on 10 things i hate about you quotes.
6. ”Our lack of forgiveness makes us hate, and our lack of compassion makes us hard-hearted. Pride in our hearts makes us resentful and keeps our memory in a constant whirlwind of passion and self-pity.” – Mother Angelica
You will also enjoy our article on jealousy quotes.
7. ”Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King
You will also enjoy our article on letting go quotes.
8. “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn’t part of ourselves doesn’t disturb us.” – Hermann Hesse
You will also enjoy our article on bullying quotes.
9. ”Fear of something is at the root of hate for others, and hate within will eventually destroy the hater.”- George Washington Carver
You will also enjoy our article on drama quotes.
10. “Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind – listen to the birds. And don’t hate nobody.” – Eubie Blake
You might also like these devil quotes that will help you triumph against evil.
Hate quotes to help you find a solution to the problem
11. ”I feel sorry for anybody that could let hate wrap them up. Ain’t no such thing as I can hate anybody and hope to see God’s face.” – Fannie Lou Hamer
You will also enjoy our article on petty quotes.
12. ”We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.”- Martin Luther King, Jr.
You will also enjoy our article on social media quotes.
13. ”You reclaim your power by loving what you were once taught to hate.” – Bryant H. McGill
You will also enjoy our article on grinch quotes.
14. “This world of ours… must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect.”- Dwight D. Eisenhower
You will also enjoy our article on tupac quotes.
15. “Remember, always give your best. Never get discouraged. Never be petty. Always remember, others may hate you. But those who hate you don’t win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.” – Richard M. Nixon
You will also enjoy our article on bertrand russell quotes.
16. ”When we create hope and opportunity in the lives of others, we allow love, decency and promise to triumph over cowardice and hate.” – Kirsten Gillibrand
You will also enjoy our article on shadow quotes.
17. ”We may not know what each day has in store for us. We could be gone tomorrow. Any minute could truly be our goodbye. But we do have this moment. This time. Today. Right now. It takes way more effort to shell out hate then it does to allow love to flow freely in our lives. After all, it’s what we were born to do.” – Grace Gealey
You will also enjoy our article on revenge quotes.
18. ”I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.”- James Baldwin
You will also enjoy our article on dark quotes.
19. “I don’t think you can ever be bitter about anything, because if you don’t allow your heart to stay open, then all you have is a filled heart of hate and bitterness, and you’re never able to love or like anybody.”- Debbie Reynolds
20. ”Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies – or else? The chain reaction of evil – hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars – must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.”- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Also read these darkness quotes for overcoming life’s toughest times.
Hate quotes to help you control your feelings
21. ”Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!” – Bob Marley
22. “The more people love you, the more there’s going to be people that hate you.” – Kylie Jenner
23. “Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better.”- Sydney J. Harris
24. ”The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.”- Charlie Chaplin
25. ”A desire arises in the mind. It is satisfied immediately another comes. In the interval which separates two desires a perfect calm reigns in the mind. It is at this moment freed from all thought, love or hate. Complete peace equally reigns between two mental waves.”- Swami Sivananda
26. ”A person is born with feelings of envy and hate. If he gives way to them, they will lead him to violence and crime, and any sense of loyalty and good faith will be abandoned.”- Xun Kuang
27. “If you’re an advocate of gentleness, you’re simplistic and naive. If you’re an advocate of despair and hate, you’re sophisticated.”- Leo Buscaglia
28. “The voice of the intelligence is drowned out by the roar of fear. It is ignored by the voice of desire. It is contradicted by the voice of shame. It is biased by hate and extinguished by anger. Most of all it is silenced by ignorance.” – Karl A. Menninger
29. ”The wicked envy and hate; it is their way of admiring.” – Victor Hugo
30. ”We do not hate as long as we still attach a lesser value, but only when we attach an equal or a greater value.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Hate quotes to help alleviate the negative feelings
31. “People can hate on you for doing what it is that makes you happy, but ultimately, it has to belong to you. It shouldn’t matter what anyone else thinks. Life is not easy. The road to happiness is not a path well trotted. You have to find your own path to enlightenment.”- Jamie Campbell Bower
32. ”The reason men oppose progress is not that they hate progress, but that they love inertia.” – Elbert Hubbard
33. ”Anger is like flowing water; there’s nothing wrong with it as long as you let it flow. Hate is like stagnant water; anger that you denied yourself the freedom to feel, the freedom to flow; water that you gathered in one place and left to forget. Stagnant water becomes dirty, stinky, disease-ridden, poisonous, deadly; that is your hate. On flowing water travels little paper boats; paper boats of forgiveness. Allow yourself to feel anger, allow your waters to flow, along with all the paper boats of forgiveness. Be human.” – C. JoyBell C.
34. “When you really know somebody you can’t hate them. Or maybe it’s just that you can’t really know them until you stop hating them.” – Orson Scott Card
35. ”I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.” – Booker T. Washington
36. ”Sensitive people usually love deeply and hate deeply. They don’t know any other way to live than by extremes because their emotional thermostat is broken.” – Shannon L. Alder
37. ”The worst enemy is one whose doctrines are founded in hate and are thus beyond debate.” – Tobsha Learner
38. “Race hate isn’t human nature; race hate is the abandonment of human nature.” – Orson Welles
39. ”A man who lives, not by what he loves but what he hates, is a sick man.” – Archibald MacLeish
40. “Hate is like a swordfish, working through water invisibly and then you see it coming with blood along its blade, but transparency disarms it.” – Pablo Neruda
Don’t forget to also read these thought-provoking quotes about enemies and how to deal with them.
Hate quotes to help you address this darkness
41. “Hate is the consequence of fear; we fear something before we hate it; a child who fears noises becomes a man who hates noise.” – Cyril Connolly
42. ”Impotent hatred is the most horrible of all emotions; one should hate nobody whom one cannot destroy.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
43. “The price of hating other human beings is loving oneself less.” – Eldridge Cleaver
44. ”Love makes everything lovely; hate concentrates itself on the one thing hated.” – George MacDonald
45. “Chances are that when someone is hating on you, it’s not about you at all. It’s about them. It’s their fear, their jealously, their boredom, and their insecurity.” – Unknown
46. ”Sometimes people hate you not because you did something wrong but because you’re better than them and they cannot beat you.” – Unknown
47. ”Beware of enemies who come disguised as friends, if a person hates you they won’t want to see you succeeding at anything and they will try to discourage you whenever they get the chance.” – Rashida Rowe
48. ”There is no beauty in sadness. No honor in suffering. No growth in fear. No relief in hate. It’s just a waste of perfectly good happiness.” – Katerina Stoykova Klemer
49. ”Hate is a lack of imagination.” – Graham Greene
50. ”To truly hate is an art one learns with time.” – Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Thought-provoking hate quotes
51. “Animals don’t hate and we’re supposed to be better than them.” – Elvis Presley
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Elvis Presley quotes that illustrate the man behind the music we all know and love.
52. “Hating people is like burning down your own house to get rid of a rat.” –
Harry Emerson Fosdick
53. “Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in this world, but has not solved one yet.” – Maya Angelou
54. “I shall never permit myself to stoop so low as to hate any man.” –
Booker T. Washington
55. “Hate wins when you choose not to make things.” – Dan Norris
56. “Hatred is the coward’s revenge for being intimidated.” – George Bernard Shaw
57. “Your time is too precious to be sacrificed in wasted days combating the menial forces of hate, jealously, and envy.” – Og Mandino
58. “When we don’t know who to hate, we hate ourselves.” – Chuck Palahniuk
59. “Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
60. “I know that you cannot hate other people without hating yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
Other hate quotes and sayings
61. “Those people, who hate you, envy your freedom.” – Santosh Kalwar
62. “Hate isn’t healthy, it damages the hater more than the one who’s hated!” – Eric Jerome Dickey
63. “Loving someone is different from being in love with someone. You can hate someone you’re in love with.” – Fyodor M. Dostoevsky
64. “Never let haters ‘still’ your flow. They can only do so with your permission.” – T.F. Hodge
65. “Live a good life. More smiling, less worrying. More compassion, less judgment. More blessed, less stressed. More love, less hate.” – Roy Bennett
66. “Loving others requires a commitment. It’s no wonder people find hating others is easier than loving them.” – Ibn Jeem
67. “Hatred is the stuff that we turn on others because we turned it on ourselves first.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
68. “Everywhere people are wasting their lives with worry and hate so they have no time to lean back and love.” – Marty Rubin
69. “It’s better to anger a bit and compensate with destroying something than evolving hate.” – Ankit Samrat
70. “It’s okay to disagree with each other, what’s not okay is to hate each other because we disagree.” – Abhijit Naskar
Don’t forget to also check out these Joker quotes on humanity that really make you think.
Hate quotes about what it is and what it does to us
71. “Hate cages all the good things about you.” — Terri Guillemets
72. “Hatred is a cold fire, and it gives no warmth.” — Laurell K. Hamilton
73. “Hate is a bottomless cup; I will pour and pour.” — Euripedes
74. “Hatred is like fire–it makes even light rubbish deadly.” — George Elliot
75. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
76. “Hate must make a man productive. Otherwise one might as well love.” — Karl Kraus
77. “Hate is like water in a dry gulch. The longer it runs, the deeper it digs.” — Ken Alstad
78. “You never really hate anyone as much as someone you cared about once.” — Cassandra Clare
79. “I think that hate is a thing, a feeling, that can only exist where there is no understanding.” — Tennessee Williams
80. “Hate destroys the very structure of the personality of the hater…. when you start hating anybody, it destroys the very center of your creative response to life and the universe; so love everybody.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
More insightful hate quotes
81. “I hate rarely, though when I hate, I hate murderously.” ― Anaïs Nin
82. “When you were in love, you knew no fear or hatred. When you were fearful, there was no possibility of love or hate. And when there was hate, there was only hate.” ― Christopher Pike
83. “I don’t understand my feelings. I really don’t. I don’t understand how I could hate you so much after so much time. How, no matter how much I’d like to not hate you, I hate you even more. It grows.” ― Sam Shepard
84. “I have so much hate that it has turned into love.” ― Margaret Cho
85. “I have loved him too much not to hate.” ― Jean Racine
86. “People who are filled with hate don’t know how to handle love.” ― P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
87. “Hatred is self-punishment. Do you think they’re feeling bad because you hate them?” ― Michelle Cohen Corasanti
88. “My God, if I had a heart, I would write my hate on ice, and wait for the sun to show.” ― Gabriel García Márquez
89. “Love turns, with little indulgence, to indifference or disgust: hatred alone is immortal.” ― William Hazlitt
90. “But I want to be better than the lessons they taught me. I want my love to be greater that my hate, my mercy to be stronger than my vengeance.” ― Amy Engel
Hate quotes to inspire to be better
91. “You should never hate anyone, even your worst enemies. ‘Everyone has something good about them.’ She said. ‘You have to find the redeeming quality and love the person for that.‘” – Jeannette Walls
92. “Your defect is a propensity to hate everybody.” “And yours,” he replied with a smile, “is willfully to misunderstand them.” – Jane Austen
93. “But emotions of xenophobia – hatred of foreigners – and of nativism – the policy of keeping America ‘pure’ … continue to thrive.” – John F. Kennedy
94. “Fierce Juno’s hate, Added to hostile force, shall urge thy fate.” – Virgil
95. “I know that my plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred but a proof that I am speaking the truth?” – Plato
96. “Love me or hate me, both are in my favour. If you love me, I’ll always be in your heart… If you hate me, I’ll always be in your mind.” – William Shakespeare
97. “My only love sprung from my only hate.” – William Shakespeare
98. “All of these months of taking it for granted that Peeta thought I was wonderful are over. Finally, he can see me for who I really am. Violent. Distrustful. Manipulative. Deadly. And I hate him for it.” – Suzanne Collins
99. “Chinese parenting is one of the most difficult things I can think of. You have to be hated sometimes by someone you love and who hopefully loves you, and there’s just no letting up, no point at which it suddenly becomes easy.” – Amy Chua
100. “The hatred and the killing continues because they want it to. Or because they don’t want peace enough to stop it.” – Mark Bowden
Hate quotes that show love is better
101. “I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies.” –Pietro Aretino
102. “Those that I fight I do not hate, those that I guard I do not love.” –William Butler Yeats
103. “War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate.” –Marvin Gaye
104. “The secret of successful managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the four guys who haven’t made up their minds.” –Casey Stengel
105. “Everybody loves success, but they hate successful people.” –John McEnroe
106. “You can love me, you can hate me, but just don’t be indifferent.” –Daniel Cormier
107. “Hate is not the opposite of love; apathy is.” –Rollo May
108. “Evil is always devising more corrosive misery through man’s restless need to exact revenge out of his hate.” –Ralph Steadman
109. “It’s important that we meet any sort of hate and negativity with joy and celebration.” –Simu Liu
110. “When you start to think of revenge, you start to think of hate. I don’t believe in hating people. It’s a retrogressive thing.” –Fela Kuti
Hate Quotes That Hate Drains Your Energy
111. “One of the reasons why people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.” — Gary Guthrie
112. “Hate no one; hate their vices, not themselves.” — Lloyd Albert Johnson
113. “If you harbor hatred or ill feelings toward (a) person, the feeling does not hurt the enemy. It only harms your own peace of mind and eventually your own health. ” — Dalai Lama
114. “Hatred and bitterness can never cure the disease of fear; only love can do that. Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
115. “If you start to hate you can never stop. You can burn yourself from the inside. To retain one’s personality, to survive, simply to keep common sense, one has to kill hatred, immediately. ” — Irina Ratushinskaya
116. “Always remember, others may hate you. Those who hate you don’t win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.” — Richard Nixon
117. “Realize how careful one must be with hate – For you become what you hate too much.” — Lawrence Durrell
118. “Our hate is not hurting them at all, but our hate is turning our days and night into a hellish turmoil.” — Dale Carnegie
119. “Hatred bounces.” — E. E. Cummings
120. “Hatred unlocks no doors in heaven.” — William F. Devault
Short Hate Quotes
121. “We violently hate those whom we have greatly offended. ” — Daniel Weis
122. “Hate me for what I am and not for what you want me to be.” — Jamie Spaniolo
123. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” — Lloyd Albert Johnson
124. “Don`t hate the player, hate the game.” — Teren Jones
125. “People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” — Susan Ratcliffe
126. “I have seen how the finger of hate / Can mar and mould / Faces burned passionate / And frozen cold.” — Elinor Morton Wylie
127. “Hate in the world`s hand / Can carve and set its seal / Like the strong blast of sand / Which cuts into steel.” — Elinor Morton Wylie
128. “Hate`s goin` round / Breaking many hearts / Breaking many hearts / Before it’s gone too far.” — Wynn
129. “Hate is a prolonged form of suicide.” — Douglas V. Steere
130. “Love those that hate you, but to love those one hates is impossible.” — Leo Tolstoy
Hate Quotes That Remind Us How Powerful Hate Is
131. “I’d rather have people hate me with the knowledge that I tried to save them.” ― Keith Green
132. “We can always hate that which we loved, and with a fire as great as our love once was.” ― Claudia Gray
133. “Hate is a strong and powerful motivator. Indifference is a strong and powerful demotivator.” ― Mordehay Darwish
134. “Don’t doubt yourself, that’s what haters are for.” ― Turcois Ominek
135. “Who loves me teaches me tenderness. Who hates me teaches me caution.” ― Dinger
136. “The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that’s the essence of inhumanity.” ― George Bernard Shaw
137. “How can two people hate so much without knowing each other?” ― Alan Moore
138. “You lose a lot of time, hating people.” ― Marian Anderson
139. “Each life is a journey that takes us to places we either love, hate, or wish for something totally different.” ― Byron Pulsifer
140. “We hate some persons because we do not know them; and will not know them because we hate them.” ― Charles Caleb Colton
Hate Quotes To Encourage You To Live A Hatred Free Life
141. “Hate hurts the hater more’n the hated.” ― Madeline L’Engle
142. “Hate and mistrust are the children of blindness.” — William Watson
143. “if you learn to hate one or two persons… you’ll soon hate millions of people.”
― Jerry Spinelli
144. “But love has to be stronger than hate, or there is no future for us.” — Kristin Hannah
145. “To hate everything is to be wounded by everything.” — Marty Rubin
146. “Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.” — Yoda
147. “When you love, you are immortal, when you hate, you are already dead, despite being alive.” ― Abhijit Naskar
148. “Hate is like fire; it burns those who hold it.” — Alden Loveshade
149. “Hatred makes us all ugly.” — Laurell K. Hamilton
150. “A life of hate is the same as a thousand deaths and a death in love is worth a thousand lives.” ― Abhijit Naska
Hate Quotes To Encourage You To Take A Constructive Approach
151. “Hate the sin, love the sinner.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
152. “As long as you hate, there will be people to hate.” ― George Harrison
153. “The haters always scream the loudest.” – Tucker Max
154. “Hatred, which could destroy so much, never failed to destroy the man who hated, and this was an immutable law.” — James A. Baldwin
155. “They don’t hate you. They hate themselves and take it out on you. There’s a difference.” — Ritu Ghatourey
156. “Beat me, hate me, you can never break me.” — Michael Jackson
157. “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” — George Lucas
158. “The hardest thing in life is to forgive. But hate is self-destructive. If you hate somebody you’re not hurting the person you hate, you’re hurting yourself. Forgiveness is healing.” — Louis Zamperini
159. “Hate is an automatic response to fear, for fear humiliates.” ― Graham Greene
160. “Hate is the father of all evil.” ― David Gemmell
Did you find these hate quotes helpful?
Hate is something we all feel and experience and some point in our lives.
However, you can address this negative feeling before it drains your spirit and tarnishes your soul.
When you’re confronted by irrational hateful thoughts, you can either let them consume you, or you can challenge them with positive feelings.
Hopefully, the above quotes will help you address this darkness and let the sunshine shine again.
Did you find these hate quotes and sayings helpful?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add to the list?
Tell us in the comment section below.
December 28, 2022 6:00 AM EST