These technology quotes explain the importance of technology, the downside of technology, and everything in between.
Technology is a term that gets thrown around in today’s age, especially when speaking about Millennials and Gen Z.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Most times these remarks are disparaging and refer to how we rely on technology too much, or that technology is ruining the world.
However, technology has been around since the beginning of man, and humans have always searched for it.
If you read that and thought I was crazy, then ask yourself, “How do you define technology?”
The definition of technology is “the set of knowledge, skills, experience, and techniques through which humans change, transform and use our environment in order to create tools, machines, products and services that meet our needs and desires.”
So when cave dwellers discovered how to make fire, or build a wheel, this was a huge technological advancement.
I wonder if the older generation bemoaned the fact that their young had it too easy using a cart?
Enjoy these technology quotes and sayings!
Don’t forget to also check out these science quotes from some of the greatest minds ever known.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Best technology quotes about books, art, and magic
You may also enjoy reading our selection of support quotes.
1. “Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.” ― Pablo Picasso
You will also enjoy our article on internet quotes.
2. “The human spirit must prevail over technology.” ― Albert Einstein
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about education.
3. “Books don’t need batteries.” ― Nadine Gordimer
You will also enjoy our article on halt and catch fire quotes.
4. “The production of too many useful things results in too many useless people.” ― Karl Marx
You will also enjoy our article on quality quotes.
5. “Technology is a useful servant but a dangerous master.” ― Christian Lous Lange
You will also enjoy our article on classroom quotes.
6. “The art challenges the technology, and the technology inspires the art.” ― John Lasseter
You will also enjoy our article on thomas edison quotes.
7. “Technology like art is a soaring exercise of the human imagination.” ― Daniel Bell
You will also enjoy our article on apple quotes.
8. “Any sufficiently advanced technology is equivalent to magic.” ― Arthur C. Clarke
You will also enjoy our article on social media quotes.
9. “Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.” ― Barry Gehm
You will also enjoy our article on curiosity quotes.
10. “Our technology forces us to live mythically.” ― Marshall McLuhan
Inspirational technology quotes from influential men
11. “Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless.” ― Thomas Edison
You will also enjoy our article on magic quotes.
12. “It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.” ― Albert Einstein
13. “I think that novels that leave out technology misrepresent life as badly as Victorians misrepresented life by leaving out sex.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
14. “Please, no matter how we advance technologically, please don’t abandon the book. There is nothing in our material world more beautiful than the book.” ― Patti Smith
15. “Technology is just a tool. In terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them, the teacher is the most important.” ― Bill Gates
16. “Technology is nothing. What’s important is that you have a faith in people, that they’re basically good and smart, and if you give them tools, they’ll do wonderful things with them.” ― Steve Jobs
17. “We are the children of a technological age. We have found streamlined ways of doing much of our routine work. Printing is no longer the only way of reproducing books. Reading them, however, has not changed.” ― Lawrence Clark Powell
18. “I might love my e-reader, but I’d never pass up the chance to browse real books.” ― Nichole Chase
19. “Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition, and myth frame our response.” ― Arthur Schlesinger
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Charles K. Kao quotes from the father of fiber optics.
Funny technology quotes and sayings
20. “Cars will soon have the Internet on the dashboard. I worry that this will distract me from my texting.” ― Andy Borowitz
21. “I’d rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook.” ― Craig Coelho
22. “‘User’ is the word used by the computer professional when they mean ‘idiot.’” ― Dave Barry
23. “What did people do when they went to the bathroom before smartphones?” ― Aaron Cobra
24. “To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.” ― Paul Ehrlich
25. My life is now a constant assessment of whether what’s happening in real life is more entertaining than what’s happening on my phone.” ― Damien Fahey
26. “We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.” ― Douglas Adams
27. “Technology is a word that describes something that doesn’t work yet.” ― Douglas Adams
28. “Man is a slow, sloppy, and brilliant thinker; computers are fast, accurate, and stupid.” ― John Pfeiffer
29. “Technology is the knack of so arranging the world that we do not experience it.” ― Rollo May
30. “The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do.” ― B. F. Skinner
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of hacker quotes about technological pirates.
Tech quotes about the effects of technology
31. “This is the whole point of technology. It creates an appetite for immortality on the one hand. It threatens universal extinction on the other. Technology is lust removed from nature.” ― Don DeLillo
32. “The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers.” ― Sydney Harris
33. “If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.” ― Omar Bradley
34. “What new technology does is create new opportunities to do a job that customers want done.” ―Tim O’Reilly
35. “Modern technology has become a total phenomenon for civilization, the defining force of a new social order in which efficiency is no longer an option but a necessity imposed on all human activity.” ― Jacques Ellul
36. “Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backward.” ― Aldous Huxley
37. “Technology – with all its promise and potential – has gotten so far beyond human control that it’s threatening the future of humankind.” ― Kim J. Vicente
38. “As cities grow and technology takes over the world belief and imagination fade away and so do we.” ― Julie Kagawa
39. “Ethics change with technology.” ― Larry Niven
40. “As technology advances in complexity and scope, fear becomes more primitive.” ― Don DeLillo
Positive technology quotes about unity and other human traits
41. “Technology made large populations possible; large populations now make technology indispensable.” ― Joseph Krutch
42. “Technology is best when it brings people together.” ― Matt Mullenweg
43. “Even the technology that promises to unite us, divides us. Each of us is now electronically connected to the globe, and yet we feel utterly alone.” ― Dan Brown
44. “As technology accumulates and people in more parts of the planet become interdependent, the hatred between them tends to decrease, for the simple reason that you can’t kill someone and trade with him too.” ― Steven Pinker
45. “All of the biggest technological inventions created by man – the airplane, the automobile, the computer – says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness.” ― Mark Kennedy
46. “We refuse to turn off our computers, turn off our phone, log off Facebook, and just sit in silence because in those moments we might actually have to face up to who we really are.” ― Jefferson Bethke
47. “Technology has solved old economic problems by giving us new psychological problems. The internet has not just open-sourced information, it has also open-sourced insecurity, self-doubt, and shame.” ― Mark Manson
48. “The technology you use impresses no one. The experience you create with it is everything.” — Sean Gerety
49. “Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons.” ― R. Buckminster Fuller
50. “You cannot endow even the best machine with initiative; the jolliest steamroller will not plant flowers.” ― Walter Lippmann
Technology Quotes To Inspire & Motivate Innovators
51. “Technology is like a fish. The longer it stays on the shelf, the less desirable it becomes.” ― Andre Heller
52. “Technology means you can now do amazing things easily; but you couldn’t easily do them legally.” ― Lawrence lessig
53. “Technology has to be invented or adopted.” ― Jared Diamond
54. “Technology is a gift of God. After the gift of life it is perhaps the greatest of God’s gifts. It is the mother of civilizations, of arts and of sciences.” ― Freeman Dyson
55. “What I did in my youth is hundreds of times easier today. Technology breeds crime.” ― Frank W. Abagnale
56. “Computers are like bikinis. They save people a lot of guesswork.” ― Sam Ewing
57. “Technology is destructive only in the hands of people who do not realize that they are one and the same process as the universe.” ― Alan Watts
58. “Mankind soon will be forced to utilize a kind of technology that’s still rejected by current civilization.” ― Toba Beta
59. “Communication tools don’t get socially interesting until they get technologically boring.” ― Clay Shirky
60. “People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.” ― Alan Kay
Technology Quotes To Inspire You To Invest More In Technology
61. “The advance of technology is based on making it fit in so that you don’t really even notice it, so it’s part of everyday life.” — Bill Gates
62. “Everybody has to be able to participate in a future that they want to live for. That’s what technology can do.” — Dean Kamen
63. “Technology is the campfire around which we tell our stories.” ― Laurie Anderson
64. “Technology is society made durable.” — Bruno Latour
65. “By innovating and investing in health technology, we believe that we can really change the future of health.” — Frans van Houten
66. “Technology is not just a tool. It can give learners a voice that they may not have had before.” ― George Couros
67. “It’s not that we use technology, we live technology.” — Godfrey Reggio
68. “Sharing is good, and with digital technology, sharing is easy.” — Richard Stallman
69. “The future of innovation has to include not only the technology, but economic viability.” — Dennis Muilenburg
70. “Good, bad or indifferent, if you are not investing in new technology, you are going to be left behind.” — Philip Green
Technology Quotes To Become More Intelligent
71. “As information technology restructures the work situation, it abstracts thought from action.” — Shoshana Zuboff
72. “The future masters of technology will have to be light-hearted and intelligent. The machine easily masters the grim and the dumb.” — Marshall McLuhan
73. “Technology is anything that wasn’t around when you were born.” — Alan Kay
74. “We’ve arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology.” — Carl Sagan
75. “Technology gives us the facilities that lessen the barriers of time and distance – the telegraph and cable, the telephone, radio, and the rest.” — Emily Greene Balch
76. “As technology continues to increase our possibilities, what we’re seeing is a shrinking of the lag time between what we dream about and what we create.” — Jason Silva
77. “The technologies which have had the most profound effects on human life are usually simple.” — Freeman Dyson
78. “The key to success for everything in business, science and technology is never to follow the others.” — Masaru Ibuka
79. “The new information technology… Internet and e-mail… have practically eliminated the physical costs of communications.” — Peter Drucker
80. “Digital technology allows us a much larger scope to tell stories that were pretty much the grounds of the literary media.” — George Lucas
Technology Quotes to Streamline Our Life Processes
81. “The advance of technology, like the growth of population and industry, has also been proceeding exponentially.” ― Carl Kaysen
82. “Curiously, once technology gets boring, the social effects get interesting.” ― Clay Shirky
83. “Across the communication landscape move the specters of sinister technologies and the dreams that money can buy.” ― J. G. Ballard
84. “Well Microsoft really does develop some really interesting technology.” ― Miguel de Icaza
85. “There’s a lot that can be done for people who are using technology in a better way.” ― Bill Gates
86. “What we are finding out now is that there are not only limits to growth but also to technology and that we cannot allow technology to go on without public consent.” ― David R. Brower
87. “There is unquestionably a contradiction between an efficient technological machine and the flowering of human nature, of the human personality.” ― Arthur Miller
88. “A vast technology has been developed to prevent, reduce, or terminate exhausting labor and physical damage. It is now dedicated to the production of the most trivial conveniences and comfort.” ― B. F. Skinner
89. “Technology is driving the innovation. Technology is driving the creativity. Technology and the use of that is going to determine our workers’ ability to compete in the 21st century global marketplace.” ― Ron Kind
90. “Many people recognize that technology often comes with unintended and undesirable side effects.” ― Leon Kass
What did you learn from these technology quotes?
Many influential men weighed in with their thoughts about the effects of technology in these technology quotes.
What do you think about technology?
Technology not only makes our lives easier, but it can also help us save the planet, streamline businesses, and improve our health.
There are some downsides to technology.
The most significant ones include security, privacy, and job insecurity.
Technology itself isn’t inherently good or bad.
It comes down to how we use technology that matters.
The same technology that makes us safer can steal our data.
With job insecurity, it is undeniable that some jobs get replaced with new technologies, but it creates new jobs.
The ferriers were, no doubt, threatened by the automobile on their businesses, but they adapted.
Can you imagine life without motorized transportation?
What technological advancement would you like to see in your lifetime?
I’m still waiting for ‘Rosie’ to be a member of my household.
That and flying cars.
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
Don’t forget to also share with us any other favorite technology quotes and sayings.