These Saint Augustine quotes will inspire you to think about life, love, and suffering in a new light.
Saint Augustine, also known as Augustine of Hippo, was a legendary philosopher and the bishop of Hippo Regius in Numidia, Roman North Africa.
This theologian was known for his words of wisdom and confessions of the truth.
This list of St. Augustine quotes will change your perspective about life, love, religion, and suffering.
These radical ideas will open your mind up to new possibilities and will allow you to reach your full potential.
Don’t forget to also check out these Leonard Cohen quotes that will draw a ‘Hallelujah’ from your lips.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
Have you ever wondered about the deeper meaning to life?
Saint Augustine had many thoughts about the sense of self and how we live our lives.
You can change your whole world just by changing the way that you think.
If you’re interested in learning more about his philosophies and perspectives, check out this collection of St. Augustine quotes.
Saint Augustine Quotes About Truth and Love
1. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” – Saint Augustine
2. “Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.” – Saint Augustine
3. “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.” – Saint Augustine
4. “Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering.” – Saint Augustine
5. “Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.” – Saint Augustine
6. “God loves each of us as if there were only one of us.” – Saint Augustine
7. “Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.” – Saint Augustine
8. “Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul.” – Saint Augustine
9. “It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels.” – Saint Augustine
10. “What then is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks, I do not know.” – Saint Augustine
Saint Augustine quotes about life, love, and suffering
11. “Do you wish to be great? Then begin by being. Do you desire to construct a vast and lofty fabric? Think first about the foundations of humility. The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation.” – Saint Augustine
12. “Give me chastity and continence, but not yet.” – Saint Augustine
13. “God had one son on earth without sin, but never one without suffering.” – Saint Augustine
14. “Since you cannot do good to all, you are to pay special attention to those who, by the accidents of time, or place, or circumstances, are brought into closer connection with you.” – Saint Augustine
15. “Beauty is indeed a good gift of God; but that the good may not think it a great good, God dispenses it even to the wicked.” – Saint Augustine
16. “If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don’t like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself.” – Saint Augustine
17. “This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.” – Saint Augustine
18. “Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance.” – Saint Augustine
19. “Patience is the companion of wisdom.” – Saint Augustine
20. “What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.” – Saint Augustine
Saint Augustine quotes to open your mind up to new possibilitie
21. “Love is the beauty of the soul.” – Saint Augustine
22. “In the absence of justice, what is sovereignty but organized robbery?” – Saint Augustine
23. “My mind withdrew its thoughts from experience, extracting itself from the contradictory throng of sensuous images, that it might find out what that light was wherein it was bathed… And thus, with the flash of one hurried glance, it attained to the vision of That Which Is.” – Saint Augustine
24. “The purpose of all wars, is peace.” – Saint Augustine
25. “Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was found, is saved from being lost again.” – Saint Augustine
26. “The words printed here are concepts. You must go through the experiences.” – Saint Augustine
27. “Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation.” – Saint Augustine
28. “Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity.” – Saint Augustine
29. “Charity is no substitute for justice withheld.” – Saint Augustine
30. “Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand.” – Saint Augustine
Saint Augustine quotes to elevate your mind
31. “Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others.” – Saint Augustine
32. “Punishment is justice for the unjust.” – Saint Augustine
33. “If we live good lives, the times are also good. As we are, such are the times.” – Saint Augustine
34. “Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.” – Saint Augustine
35. “He that is jealous is not in love.” – Saint Augustine
36. “A thing is not necessarily true because badly uttered, nor false because spoken magnificently.” – Saint Augustine
37. “He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king.” – Saint Augustine
38. “Grant what thou commandest and then command what thou wilt.” – Saint Augustine
39. “Indeed, man wishes to be happy even when he so lives as to make happiness impossible.” – Saint Augustine
40. “The desire is thy prayers; and if thy desire is without ceasing, thy prayer will also be without ceasing. The continuance of your longing is the continuance of your prayer.” – Saint Augustine
Thought-provoking Saint Augustine quotes
41. “Thou must be emptied of that wherewith thou art full, that thou mayest be filled with that whereof thou art empty.” – Saint Augustine
42. “If two friends ask you to judge a dispute, don’t accept, because you will lose one friend; on the other hand, if two strangers come with the same request, accept because you will gain one friend.” – Saint Augustine
43. “We cannot pass our guardian angel’s bounds, resigned or sullen, he will hear our sighs.” – Saint Augustine
44. “By faithfulness, we are collected and wound up into unity within ourselves, whereas we had been scattered abroad in multiplicity.” – Saint Augustine
45. “The greatest evil is physical pain.” – Saint Augustine
46. “God is best known in not knowing him.” – Saint Augustine
47. “No eulogy is due to him who simply does his duty and nothing more.” – Saint Augustine
48. “Passion is the evil in adultery. If a man has no opportunity of living with another man’s wife, but if it is obvious for some reason that he would like to do so, and would do so if he could, he is no less guilty than if he was caught in the act.” – Saint Augustine
49. “Will is to grace as the horse is to the rider.” – Saint Augustine
50. “To seek the highest good is to live well.” – Saint Augustine
More Saint Augustine quotes and sayings
51. “If we did not have rational souls, we would not be able to believe.” – Saint Augustine
52. “Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.” – Saint Augustine
53. “The measure of love is to love without measure.” – Saint Augustine
54. “In order to discover the character of people we have only to observe what they love.” – St. Augustine
55. “The truth is like a lion; you don’t have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself.” – St. Augustine
56. “A person can do other things against his will, but belief is possible only in one who is willing.” – St. Augustine
57. “Love is ever new because it never groweth old.” – Saint Augustine
58. “Every where the greater joy is ushered in by the greater pain.” – Saint Augustine
59. “I did not yet love, and I loved to love; I sought what I might love, in love with loving.” – Saint Augustine
60. “Let him love to find You while not finding it out, rather than, while finding it out, not to find You.” – St. Augustine
What are your favorite St Augustine quotes that expand your mind?
If you’re interested in religion and philosophy, you will surely be a big fan of St. Augustine quotes.
As a legendary theologian, the bishop of Hippo Regius had many interesting thoughts and incredible ideas to share with the world.
This collection of Saint Augustine quotes is only a small sample of his words of wisdom.
Share these St. Augustine quotes with your friends and family to open their minds up to new ideas.
These inspirational quotes will provide you with a fresh perspective on life, love, and the truth.
Read this list of confessions from a philosopher whenever you need motivation or inspiration.
Remember that anything is possible once you unlock your full potential and accept all of the possibilities life has to offer.
What are your favorite Saint Augustine quotes and sayings?
Let us know in the comment section below.