Enjoy these Shel Silverstein quotes that will take you back to studying poetry as a child.
If you enjoyed reading Silverstein’s stories as a child, the quotes below will take you back to that time.
Shel has a special ability to bring a smile to your face through his stories and poems.
While these quotes might take you back to your childhood, the truly special thing is how the quotes are so inspiring.
Whether you are young or old, enjoy the quotes and let them inspire you to do what is important to you.
Just like Shel Silverstein explains, if you choose to put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.
Enjoy the Shel Silverstein quotes below.
Don’t forget to also check out these Noam Chomsky quotes from the father of linguistics.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Inspiring Shel Silverstein quotes
1. “If there is a book that you want to read but isn’t written yet, write it.” – Shel Silverstein
2. “To me, freedom entitles you to do something. Not to not do something.” – Shel Silverstein
3. “It’s amazing the difference a bit of sky can make.” – Shel Silverstein
4. “What I do is good. I wouldn’t let it out if I didn’t think it was.” – Shel Silverstein
5. “I think if you’re a creative person, you should just go about your business, do your work and not care about how it’s received.” – Shel Silverstein
6. “I never read reviews, because if you believe the good ones you have to believe the bad ones too.” – Shel Silverstein
7. “Don’t be dependent on anyone else.” – Shel Silverstein
8. “Never explain what you do. It speaks for itself. You only muddle it by talking about it.” – Shel Silverstein
9. “Just ’cause somethin’ ain’t been done don’t mean it can’t be did…” – Shel Silverstein
10. “Anything can happen. Anything can be.” – Shel Silverstein
Wise Shel Silverstein quotes
11. “Everything isn’t everything.” – Shel Silverstein
12. “Don’t know where he’s going but sees where he’s been.” – Shel Silverstein
13. “Listen to the mustn’ts, child. Listen to the don’ts. Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossibles, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me… Anything can happen, child.” – Shel Silverstein
14. “I was always prepared for success but that means that I have to be prepared for failure, too.” – Shel Silverstein
15. “When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?” – Shel Silverstein
16. “I can be someone’s and still be my own.” – Shel Silverstein
17. “This bridge will take you halfway there – the last few steps you will have to take yourself.” – Shel Silverstein
18. “How much good inside a day? Depends how good you live ’em.” – Shel Silverstein
19. “Tell me I’m clever, Tell me I’m kind, Tell me I’m talented, Tell me I’m cute, Tell me I’m sensitive, Graceful and wise, Tell me I’m perfect – But tell me the truth.” – Shel Silverstein
20. “There is a place where the sidewalk ends.” – Shel Silverstein
Intriguing Shel Silverstein quotes from his poems and books
21. “Once I spoke the language of the flowers, Once I understood each word the caterpillar said, Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings, And shared a conversation with the housefly in my bed. Once I heard and answered all the questions of the crickets, And joined the crying of each falling dying flake of snow, Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . . How did it go? How did it go?” – Shel Silverstein
22. “Listen to the voice that speaks inside.” – Shel Silverstein
23. “Thanksgiving dinner’s sad and thankless. Christmas dinner’s dark and blue. When you stop and try to see it From the turkey’s point of view. Sunday dinner isn’t sunny. Easter feasts are just bad luck. When you see it from the viewpoint of a chicken or a duck. Oh how I once loved tuna salad Pork and lobsters, lamb chops too Till I stopped and looked at dinner From the dinner’s point of view.”- Shel Silverstein
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Easter quotes, celebrating the holiday.
24. “If you’re a bird, be an early bird. But if you’re a worm, sleep late.” – Shel Silverstein
25. “Once there was a tree, and she loved a little boy.” – Shel Silverstein
Which of these Shel Silverstein quotes is your favorite?
Now that you have had a chance to enjoy these quotes from Shel Silverstein, have they inspired you to try something new or to chase a dream?
One of the reasons that Shel was able to connect to so many people through his stories is that he was writing about people who do things and have adventures.
Whether you want a so-called adventure or not is up to you.
The point is don’t waste your precious life on wishes.
Get out there and do something.
Write a story, start a new career, live that adventurous life or just follow your dreams.
Whatever you decide to do I hope that like Shel Silverstein, you will encourage others to do the same.
Which of these Shel Silverstein quotes and sayings resonated with you best?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST