The Communist Manifesto Quotes From the Controversial Book
January 16, 2023 3:09 AM EST
See why the book is controversial in The Communist Manifesto quotes shared here.
The Communist Manifesto is a book by Friedrich Engels and Karl Marx, German philosophers.
The book was initially published in London as a pamphlet called Manifesto of the Communist Party in 1848.
It was quickly reprinted thousands of times and then translated into multiple languages, including English, by the end of 1850.
More than half a billion copies have now been sold, making it one of the top-selling books of all time.
Some of the ideas that Marx and Engels supported and called for in the book include progressive income tax, removal of private property, and expansion of public land.
They aimed to eradicate capitalism and promote a classless and stateless society.
The book is currently censored in Vietnam and banned in North Korea.
It has also been banned in communist countries, including the USSR.
You can learn more about what the book supports in The Communist Manifesto quotes below.
The communist manifesto quotes from Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.
Here are some of the most known quotes from the book.
1. “Democracy is the road to socialism.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
2. “I am nothing but I must be everything.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
3. “Revolutions are the locomotives of history.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
4. “To be radical is to grasp things by the root.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
5. “I am a machine condemned to devour books.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
6. “The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
7. “Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
8. “The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
9. “The history of all previous societies has been the history of class struggles.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
10. “The ruling ideas of each age have ever been the ideas of its ruling class.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
The communist manifesto quotes that show what communists support
The following quotes show more about what communist supporters want to accomplish.
11. “Take away a nation’s heritage and they are more easily persuaded.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
12. “The theory of Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: Abolition of private property.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
13. “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
14. “The increase in value of the world of things is directly proportional to the decrease in value of the human world.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
15. “Do you charge us with wanting to stop the exploitation of children by their parents? To this crime we plead guilty.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
16. “Capital is dead labour, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labour, and lives the more, the more labour it sucks.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
17. “Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communistic revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
18. “Society as a whole is more and more splitting up into two great hostile camps, into two great classes, directly facing each other: Bourgeoisie and Proletariat.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
19. “The Communist revolution is the most radical rupture with traditional property relations; no wonder that its development involves the most radical rupture with traditional ideas.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
20. “The Communists disdain to conceal their views and aims. They openly declare that their ends can be attained only by the forcible overthrow of all existing social conditions.” — Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
Have you read The Communist Manifesto?
Support of communism is a controversial political debate, with critics sharing that it leads to totalitarianism, as seen in current communist countries.
Share The Communist Manifesto quotes and lines that stand out the most to you and your thoughts in the comments.