Get ready to discover who you are through the help of these find yourself quotes.
But can we grow if we don’t know who we are?
The journey of self-discovery is perhaps the most crucial trip we’ll ever take.
The following are all part of the process of finding yourself:
- Making sense of your past
- Seeking meaning for life
- Consider your desires
- Tap into your power
- Control your inner critic
- Lean into gratitude and compassion
When we find out who we are, we discover what we want, what we value, and how we fit into the world.
Here are 50 inspiring quotes about finding yourself.
How to find yourself quotes for life
Read on for quotes about the process of self-discovery.
1. “To find yourself, think for yourself.” — Socrates
2. “The only journey is the journey within.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
3. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” — George Bernard Shaw
4. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” — Confucius
5. “The greatest journey begins with a single step, and that step is self-awareness.” — Shannon L. Alder
6. “The greatest journey you will ever take is the 18 inches from your head to your heart.” — E.E. Cummings
7. “The key to growth is acknowledging your fear of the unknown and jumping in anyway.” — Jen Sincero
8. “The greatest discovery in life is self-discovery. Until you find yourself, you will always be someone else.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” — Christian D. Larson
10. “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” — Howard Thurman
Why is it important to find yourself quotes
It might feel overwhelming, but taking the time to find yourself can help you determine how to move forward in life.
11. “Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
12. “If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self.” — Napoleon Hill
13. “Your time is limited; don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” — Steve Jobs
14. “The most important relationship you’ll ever have is the one you have with yourself.” — Diane Von Furstenberg
15. “You have to find what sparks a light in you so that you in your own way can illuminate the world.” — Oprah Winfrey
16. “You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want.” — Margaret Young
17. “It is always our own self that we find at the end of the journey. The sooner we face that self, the better.” — Ella Maillart
18. “Growth is painful. Change is painful. But, nothing is as painful as staying stuck where you do not belong.” — N. R. Narayana Murthy
19. “Friendship with one’s self is all important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
20. “The journey into self-love and self-acceptance must begin with self-examination… until you take the journey of self-reflection, it is almost impossible to grow or learn in life.” — Iyanla Vanzant
Quotes about continuing to grow as yourself
At what age do you truly find yourself?
The twists and turns of life shape and mold who we are, changing who we have been.
These find yourself quotes remind us that our journey of self-discovery is never-ending.
21. “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” — George Eliot
22. “Your life does not get better by chance; it gets better by change.” — Jim Rohn
23. “Very often a change of self is needed more than a change of scene.” — A. C. Benson
24. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” — C.S. Lewis
25. “The better you know yourself, the better your relationship with the rest of the world.” — Toni Collette
26. “Personal growth is not about reaching a destination, but about enjoying the journey.” — Alex Morritt
27. “Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead.” — Morihei Ueshiba
28. “The self is not something ready-made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action.” — John Dewey
29. “I feel the older I get, the more I’m learning to handle life. Being on this quest for a long time, it’s all about finding yourself.” — Ringo Starr
30. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” — Jean Shinoda Bolen
Find yourself quotes about what it means to be yourself
What does it mean to be your authentic self? Read on for quotes that celebrate embracing who you are.
31. “The authentic self is the soul made visible.” — Sarah Ban Breathnach
32. “The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” — Joseph Campbell
33. “Don’t compromise yourself – you’re all you have.” — John Grisham
34. “Be bold, be brave enough to be your true self.” — Queen Latifa
35. “The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are.” — Jim Morrison
36. “The more you trust yourself, the more you’ll know how to live.” — Oprah Winfrey
37. “Comparison is the thief of joy; embrace your uniqueness.” — Theodore Roosevelt
38. “It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not.” — André Gide
39. “Being cool is being your own self, not doing something that someone else is telling you to do.” — Vanessa Hudgens
40. “You are enough just as you are. Each emotion you feel, everything in your life, everything you do or do not do… where you are and who you are right now is enough.” — Haemin Sunim
Quotes about finding your identity and being an individual
What does it mean to find your own identity? In our quest to find ourselves, it’s tempting to let the influence of others creep in. These quotes implore you to discover your true identity.
41. “You were born an original, don’t die a copy.” — John Mason
42. “Your identity is your most valuable possession. Protect it.” — Jack Valenti
43. “The most important thing is to be whatever you are without shame.” — Rod Steiger
44. “Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your inner voice.” — Steve Jobs
45. “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
46. “We must fall in love with ourselves. I don’t like myself. I’m crazy about myself.” — Mae West
47. “Identity cannot be found or fabricated but emerges from within when one has the courage to let go.” — Doug Cooper
48. “To be yourself in a world that is trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” — Meryl Streep
49. “Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are.” — Beyoncé
50. “You really have to look inside yourself and find your own inner strength, and say, ‘I’m proud of what I am and who I am, and I’m just going to be myself.” — Mariah Carey
The journey to find yourself is hard, but the reward is sweet
These find yourself quotes remind us that the journey to self-discovery is personal and transformative.
Embrace the adventure, explore your passions, and trust your unique path.
In the process of finding yourself, you’ll uncover the strength, wisdom, and authenticity that reside within you, ultimately leading you to a more fulfilled life.
Share these quotes with family and friends if you find them inspiring.
Tell us your favorite find yourself quote in the comments below.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Life advice can lead you down new and better paths, help you spot and avoid pitfalls, and offer new perspectives.
These books for men will help you discover who you want to be, what is holding you back, and how to create a path forward.
You are never too old, poor, young, or sick to live your dreams.
Rather than doing nothing and getting sucked into a terrible rabbit hole, let’s explore ten ways to reinvent yourself so you – and your life – can become unstuck.
Check out these related quote articles:
These amazing personal growth quotes are mantras for personal growth and greatness!
This collection of be yourself quotes will prove to you how much better life can be once you value and appreciate yourself for simply being you.
If you’re ready to stop trying to be like everyone else, get inspiration from these unique quotes about being yourself.
You have to love yourself before you can ever truly love anyone else, and these love yourself quotes should serve as your reminder always to appreciate that person staring back at you in the mirror.