If you like scary stories, The Haunting of Hill House quotes below are for you.
Can you imagine a horror television series that is complimented by none other than horror author Stephen King?
It lets you know just how good it really is. And that’s exactly what happened with the television series The Haunting of Hill House.
The show is loosely based on the novel of the same name that is part of The Haunting series by author Shirley Jackson.
The premise of the show is that there is a family that lived at Hill House and was working to remodel it. While they lived there they began to experience all kinds of paranormal behavior.
Although they all leave the house after a tragic accident, the events of the time continue to haunt them well into the future. Enjoy The Haunting of Hill House quotes below.
Don’t forget to also check out these Bloodline quotes capturing the dark family drama.
The Haunting of Hill House quotes by Olivia
1. “It’s just a house.” — Olivia
2. “It’s all about how we feel when we’re young. Doesn’t ever really change.” — Olivia
3. “I want to wake up. So badly. Why can’t I wake up?” — Olivia
4. “Journeys don’t end. Not if you love someone. They don’t end at all.” — Olivia
5. “All those colors. They’re all gone now, Hugh. And there’s only one left. I’m scared. That’s all I am. There’s nothing left. I’m only scared.” — Olivia
6. “When you’re little, you learn how to see things that aren’t there. And when you grow up, you learn how to make them real.” — Olivia
7. “When we die, we turn into stories; and every time someone tells one of those stories, it’s like we’re still here for them. We’re all stories in the end.” — Olivia
8. “A house is like a person’s body. The walls are like bones, the pipes are veins, it needs to breathe, it needs light and flow, and it all works together to keep us safe and healthy inside.” — Olivia
9. “I was all the things, all the familiar things. I was stressed and excited and content and motivated and concerned and exhausted and annoyed. And grounded and nervous and creative and proud and all of the things. But all those colors, they’re all gone now, Hugh. And there’s only one left. I’m scared. That’s all I am. There’s nothing else. I’m only scared.” — Olivia
The Haunting of Hill House quotes by Shirley
10. “Fear and guilt are sisters.” — Shirley
11. “To learn what we fear is to learn who we are. Horror defies our boundaries and illuminates our souls.” — Shirley
12. “No, the menace of the supernatural is that it attacks where modern minds are weakest, where we have abandoned our protective armor of superstition and have no substitute defense.” — Shirley
13. “All I could think of when I got a look at the place from the outside was what fun it would be to stand out there and watch it burn down.” — Shirley
14. “I told you. I told you she was in trouble. I told you to find her. I told you!” — Shirley
15. “Fear is the relinquishment of logic, the willing relinquishing of reasonable patterns. We yield to it or we fight it, but we cannot meet it halfway.” — Shirley
16. “It was a house without kindness, never meant to be lived in, not a fit place for people or for love or for hope. Exorcism cannot alter the countenance of a house; Hill House would stay as it was until it was destroyed.” — Shirley
The Haunting of Hill House quotes by Steven
17. “I’ve seen a lot of ghosts. Just not the way you think.” — Steven
18. “A ghost can be a lot of things. A memory, a daydream, a secret. Grief, anger, guilt. But, in my experience, most times they’re just what we want to see.” — Steven
19. “No live organism can continue to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.” — Steven
20. “Just because someone is a good person. Just because you care about them doesn’t mean they won’t burn you.” — Steven
21. “There’s natural phenomena that we understand and there’s natural phenomena that we don’t. Primitive humans used to die of fright during an eclipse. They had no idea what it was. The eye of an angry god. An evil spirit. Nothing supernatural about it, though. Once we understood what it was, well, it was just natural.” — Steven
22. “Hill House, not sane, stands against its hills holding darkness within. It has stood so for a hundred years and might stand a hundred more. Within, walls continue upright, bricks meet neatly, floors are firm, and doors are sensibly shut. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And those who walk there, walk together.” — Steven
23. “All those years trying to understand what happened in that house, you know what I never found? A reason.” — Steven
The Haunting of Hill House quotes by Nell
24. “Forgiveness is warm. Like a tear on a cheek.” — Nell
25. “He was dead. He was dead, and she was back.” — Nell
26. “Don’t worry, Dr. Montague. I don’t expect you to believe me.” — Nell
27. “What if I dream that you kill us?” — Nell
28. “Mom says that a house is like a body. And every house has eyes and bones and skin. A face. This room is like the heart of the house. No, not a heart, a stomach.” — Nell
29. “Now you stand there and you talk about ghosts and spirits. And you sell tickets for the privilege. And yet you don’t believe in any of it.” — Nell
30. “I loved you completely. And you loved me the same. That’s all. The rest is confetti.” — Nell
31. “I was right here. I didn’t go anywhere. I was right here. I was right here the whole time. None of you could see me. Nobody could see me.” — Nell
The Haunting of Hill House quotes by Theodora
32. “I don’t feel anything.” — Theodora
33. “Imagine the worst thing possible, assume it’s true, and go from there.” — Theodora
34. “People fuck up. I guess you don’t get that, you don’t really get it until you fuck up. Really fuck up.” — Theodora
35. “All this time we tried to get into this room and now we can’t get the fuck out.” — Theodora
36. “It’s kids like us who’ve been through more than other kids. We’re tougher than other kids. We’re great builders. We make ourselves really safe. And no one ever gets in.” — Theodora
37. “It’s not as bad as it is in your head. But she doesn’t look like she’s sleeping. So forget that.” — Theodora
The Haunting of Hill House quotes from other characters
38. “No, dear. Use your cup of stars. Insist on your cup of stars. Once they’ve strapped you into being like everyone else, you’ll never see your cup of stars again.” — Mrs. Dudley
39. “Some things can’t be told. You live them or you don’t. But they can’t be told. I’m sorry” — Hugh
40. “I was born ninety seconds before Nell but she was always my big sister.” — Luke
41. “Big boys know the difference between what’s real and imaginary.” — Hugh
42. “If you’re worried about your children, you don’t let anyone tell you what you’re feeling is wrong. You don’t let anyone tell you to relax, especially someone who didn’t carry those souls in their core, feel them growing. Stand firm between the world out there and these little souls, because the world out there has teeth, and it is hungry and it is stupid and it eats and eats mindlessly. It doesn’t care that they’re innocent. You listen to your gut. Hold the door. Even if it makes them hate you. Even if he does.” — Clara Dudley
43. ”It’s very different in the night. It’s different in the dark. But you know that, don’t you?” — Mrs. Dudley
44. “This house is bad, Dad. It’s bad.” — Luke
The Haunting of Hill House quotes from memorable conversations within the show
45. Theo: “Did you just punch me in the boob?”
Shirley: “Yeah. Yeah! You kiss my husband, that’s what you get. You get punched in the fucking boob. And you get evicted from my fucking house.”
46. Nelly: “He loves it.”
Hugh: “How do you know that?”
Nelly: “It’s a twin thing.”
47. Shirley: “My kids are going to ask me how she died.”
Theo: “And you’ll tell them.”
Shirley: “Tell them what? She killed herself? Aunty Nelly killed herself.”
Theo: “Yes. That’s better than lying.”
48. Steven: “Nelly’s dead.”
Steven: “It was suicide.”
Luke: “No, it wasn’t.”
49. Nelly: “You’re scared. I can tell.”
Nelly: “Cuz I’m scared.”
50. Shirley: “Where’s Mom?”
Steven: “I thought I saw her upstairs.”
Hugh: “That’s not Mom.”
Which of these The Haunting of Hill House quotes is your favorite?
The first series was a one-season series being based on the novel. However, there was a follow-up to the original series called The Haunting of Bly Manor.
It casts a lot of the same actors and actresses but they play different roles. It was well-received by audiences but most believe it’s not quite as scary as the first one.
If you love to read and watch anything that scares you, then this is a series you may want to binge on.
You can also read through The Haunting of Hill House quotes and lines above to see how they compare to the television series. So grab your popcorn, turn down the lights, stream the series and get ready to be scared.
September 9, 2021 7:00 AM EST