This collection of hope quotes will help you look toward a bright future even in the worst of conditions.
Hope can be defined as”the belief that circumstances in the future will be better.”
It allows us to be optimistic about a positive outcome and increases our chances of realizing our goals and dreams.
Although there are many obstacles in life, hope allows us to approach them with a success mindset.
It helps us to get closer to our goals despite the ups and downs of life.
Hope brings joy, peace, protection and strength, and provides a way forward even in the worst of conditions.
When you have hope, you have the will, determination, and ways to reach your goals.
Life is full of twists and turns.
Without hope, or without the inner peace of knowing that better days are ahead, it’s impossible to fully live.
To help you maintain an optimistic state of mind, below is our collection of inspirational, positive, and empowering hope quotes, hope sayings, and hope proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
For more inspiration, be sure to also check out our compilation of uplifting religious quotes.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Hope quotes celebrating a brighter future and progress
1. ”When life’s broken places lead us to Jesus, ultimately we will find hope.” – Renee Swope
2. ”Never give up. Have hope. Expect only the best from life and take action to get it.” – Catherine Pulsifer
3. ”Hope is outreaching desire with expectancy of good. It is a characteristic of all living beings.” – Edward S. Ame
4. ”In fact, hope is best gained after defeat and failure, because then inner strength and toughness is produced.” – Fritz Knapp
You will also enjoy our article on future quotes.
5. ”It’s always something, to know you’ve done the most you could. But, don’t leave off hoping, or it’s of no use doing anything. Hope, hope to the last.” – Charles Dickens
6. ”No matter the number of times you fail you must be determined to succeed. You must not lose hope. Don’t stop in your storm. Don’t give up so easily.” – Tony Narams
7. ”Hold your head high, stick your chest out. You can make it. It gets dark sometimes, but morning comes. Keep hope alive.” – Jesse Jackson
8. ”A positive statement propels hope toward a better future, it builds up your faith and that of others, and it promotes change.” – Jan Dargatz
9. ”There is always hope for a new day, hope that the darkness won’t always seem impenetrable. There is always hope because our Redeemer lives.” – Marcia Laycock
10. ”Anybody who has ever struggled to plant his feet onto the floor in the morning knows that life can be hard; it can be stressful; it can be overwhelming. But each of those negative, less than optimal feelings immediately takes a back seat to the inspirational power of hope.” – Shawn L. Anderson
Hope quotes to help you look toward a brighter future
11. ”Even your past pain can be a blessing to someone. Hope lifters are willing to reach back and pass hope on.” – Kathe Wunnenberg
12. ”Hope, as it pertains to love, is a good thing because by hoping for certain things such as an extended future with the one you love is made possible.” – John Franks
13. ”Even when the world throws its worst and then turns its back, there is still always hope.” – Pittacus Lore
14. ”Realistic thinking is where real hope is found; helping us hit the right balance between realism and aspirations.” – M. P. Neary
15. ”You cannot change anyone but yourself. Always hope for the best, but keep living your life no matter what.” – Kate Anderson
16. ”Hope is the most exciting thing in life and if you honestly believe that love is out there, it will come. And even if it doesn’t come straight away there is still that chance all through your life that it will.” – Josh Hartnett
17. ”Hope is the one thing that sometimes keeps us going.” – Catherine Pulsifer
18. ”But keep on working and hoping still. For in spite of the grumblers who stand about, somehow, it seems, all things work out.” – Edgar Guest
19. ”Hope is a renewable option: If you run out of it at the end of the day, you get to start over in the morning.” – Barbara Kingsolver
20. ”If we expect change, we must act on our hope every day until we have accomplished what we wanted.” – Christopher Goodman
Also read these Shawshank Redemption quotes that will give you hope even if it seems like there’s no way out.
Hope quotes to help you maintain an optimistic state of mind
21. ”When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.” – Pittacus Lore
22. ”Hope is a beautiful thing. It gives us peace and strength, and keeps us going when all seems lost. Accepting what you cannot change doesn’t mean you have given up on hope. It just means you have to focus your hope on more humanely tangible and attainable goals.” – Julie Donner Andersen
23. ”Hope can be seen out in the garden in a plant that grows from a tiny seed. At first it struggles through the soil, but it persists and continues to go on until it becomes an imposing tree, and then it starts bearing fruit.” – Robert Smith
24. ”But I know there is a future and a hope for those who trust in God and allow him to beautify the ugly messes we often find ourselves in, often through no fault of our own.” – Olivia Hope
25. ”Hope enables us to walk, while fear leaves us immobilized. Fear is all about what we can’t do or what others might do to us.” – Michelle Lynn Brown
26. ”The difference between hope and despair is the ability to believe in tomorrow.” – Jerry Grillo
27. ”The start of something new brings the hope of something great, anything is possible.” – Unknown
28. ”Hope, like every virtue, is a choice that becomes a habit that becomes spiritual muscle memory. It’s a renewable resource for moving through life as it is, not as we wish it to be.” – Krista Tippett
29. ”When we go to Him in prayer, He gives us hope and strength to handle the impossible.” – Shane DeCreshio
30. ”Anticipate good things will happen, keep your mind positive, never lose hope, and it will amaze you.” – C Pulsifer
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of quotes about losing a loved one to help you express the feelings behind loss.
Hope quotes that motivate you to reach your goals
31. ”Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” – Helen Keller
32. “An unsinkable, hopeful spirit can sustain you for a long distance as you sojourn on your personal growth journey through life.” – Shadonna Richards
33. ”When you do nothing you feel overwhelmed and powerless. But when you get involved you feel the sense of hope and accomplishment that comes from knowing you are working to make things better.” – Maya Angelou
34. ”Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there’s no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.” – Laini Taylor
35. ”He who has no hope and who expects not to achieve anything, will never do so.” – C Butler
36. ”Hope isn’t the same as optimism. It isn’t the belief that something bad will turn out well. It’s the absolute confidence that every part of your life ultimately makes sense regardless of how it turns out this side of eternity.” – Rick Warren
37. ”I haven’t always been successful, but I’ve always had hope. I’ve always known that if I kept plugging away and doing my best, I’d be successful.” – Les Brown
38. ”There is no hope of success for the person who does not have a central purpose, or definite goal at which to aim.” – Napoleon Hill
39. ”Never let go of hope – dream, take action, and get that transfer to live the life you wish.” – Catherine Pulsifer
40. ”Hope is possible. Hope comes when we exchange the incorrect way we see the world for the lens of grace.” – James Prescott
Hope quotes to inspire success and achievement
41. ”Nothing can be accomplished without the hope of accomplishment.” – Jennifer Arnold
42. ”If our focus is only on the storm we will not get beyond it. But, if we focus and hope for a sunnier day then our attitude can become one of moving forward, getting beyond where we are now.” – Catherine Pulsifer
Don’t forget to also check out these depression quotes on mental health to help you feel understood.
43. ”Whatever the magnitude of your regret, and whatever the cause, I have a word of hope for you: This is not the end. You don’t have to stay stuck in regret.” – Dave Ferguson
44. ”Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words — And never stops at all.” – Emily Dickinson
45. ”The best we can hope for in this life is a knothole peek at the shining realities ahead. Yet a glimpse is enough. It’s enough to convince our hearts that whatever sufferings and sorrows currently assail us aren’t worthy of comparison to that which waits over the horizon.” – Joni Eareckson Tada
You might also like these grace quotes to feed your soul.
46. ”Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don’t give up.” – Anne Lamott
47. ”Hope itself is like a star – not to be seen in the sunshine of prosperity, and only to be discovered in the night of adversity.” – Charles Haddon Spurgeon
48. ”Where there is no hope in the future, there is no power in the present.” – John Maxwell
49. ”Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever.” – Roy T. Bennett
50. ”Hope. It’s like a drop of honey, a field of tulips blooming in the springtime. It’s a fresh rain, a whispered promise, a cloudless sky, the perfect punctuation mark at the end of a sentence. And it’s the only thing in the world keeping me afloat.” – Tahereh Mafi
Hope quotes that will brighten your day
51. “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”― Martin Luther King Jr.
52. “Hope is not about proving anything. It’s about choosing to believe this one thing, that love is bigger than any grim, bleak shit anyone can throw at us.”― Anne Lamott
53. “Keep your best wishes, close to your heart and watch what happens”
― Tony DeLiso
54. “Where there is no hope, it is incumbent on us to invent it.”― Albert Camus
55. “When you’re at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on.”― Theodore Roosevelt
56. “The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.”― Walter Benjamin
57. “Walk on with hope in your heart, and you’ll never walk alone.”― Shah Rukh Khan
58. “May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.”― Nelson Mandela
59. “It’s the possibility that keeps me going, not the guarantee.”― Nicholas Sparks
60. “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.”― John Green
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like these domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
More hope quotes and sayings
61. “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.” – Bill Keane
62. “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us. And the world will live as one.” – John Lennon
63. “This is where it all begins. Everything starts here, today.” – David Nicholls
64. “Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
65. “Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.” – Martin Luther
66. “While there’s life, there’s hope.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
67. “Hope is a force of nature. Don’t let anyone tell you different.” – Jim Butcher
68. “Hope is the crystal meth of emotions. It hooks you fast and kills you hard.” – Jennifer Donnelly
69. “Hope can get you through anything.” – Jamie Ford
70. “If you lose all hope, you can always find it again.” – Richard Ford
Remember to also read these beautiful moon quotes to illuminate your life.
Hope quotes about the power of believing in a better tomorrow
71. “To live without Hope is to cease to live.” — Fyodor Dostoevsky
72. “I am prepared for the worst, but hope for the best.” — Benjamin Disraeli
73. “All human wisdom is summed up in two words; wait and hope.” — Alexandre Dumas
74. “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” — Desmond Tutu
75. “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
76. “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” — Albert Einstein
77. “We have always held to the hope, the belief, the conviction that there is a better life, a better world, beyond the horizon.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt
78. “Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” — Epicurus
79. “Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.” — Vaclav Havel
80. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
Inspirational Hope Quotes and Sayings to Keep You Moving Forward
81. “You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.” — Pablo Neruda
82. “I don’t think of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains.” — Anne Frank
83. “They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.” — Tom Bodett
84. “Hope is a waking dream.” — Aristotle
85. “I always entertain great hopes.” — Robert Frost
86. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” — C.S. Lewis
87. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” — J.R.R. Tolkien
88. “Every cloud has a silver lining.” — John Milson
89. “Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow them.” — Louisa May Alcott
90. “A leader is a dealer in hope.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Hope Quotes To Grant You Strength
91. “Hope lies in dreams, in imagination, and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality.” — Jonas Salk
92. “Remember, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”― Stephen King
93. “Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.” — Samuel Smiles
94. “Without Christ there is no hope.” — Charles Spurgeon
95. “As long as we have hope, we have direction, the energy to move, and the map to move by.” — Lao Tzu
96.”A person can do incredible things if he or she has enough hope.” — Shannon K. Butchera
97. “Hope is the companion of power, and mother of success; for who so hopes strongly has within him the gift of miracles.” — Samuel Smiles
98. “The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof.” — Barbara Kingsolver
99. “Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future.” — Robert H. Schuller
100. “Jesus gives us hope because He keeps us company, has a vision and knows the way we should go.” — Max Lucado
Did you enjoy these hope quotes
Even when times are bleak, you can choose hope as a means of looking toward the future.
Hope allows you to know what you want, think of the ways to get there, and it provides you with the necessary fuel you need to keep going.
It gives you the ability to find pathways to your goals despite the inevitable obstacles in life.
Hopefully, the above quotes will help you appreciate the importance of being hopeful.
Which of these hope quotes resonated with you best?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add to the list?
Let us know in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.