The Best Blazing Saddles Quotes of all Time
March 20, 2023 5:54 PM EST
These Blazing Saddles quotes will make you laugh the whole way through.
The Mel Brooks comedy, Blazing Saddles, is famous for one-liners that toe the line.
In the western parody, no one is safe from being burned as the jokes attack at everyone.
Despite the film’s intention of making fun of racists (and everyone else), the language in many of the quotes gave the film a reputation of being racist itself.
While the language may have been in good nature at the time, a film like Blazing Saddles wouldn’t survive the box office in the modern era.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Blazing Saddles was ranked as the sixth funniest American film of all time by the American Film Institute in 2000.
This highlights the enduring popularity and cultural significance of the film.
Still, it’s an outrageous film that will make you laugh the whole way through.
The film was directed by Mel Brooks and stars Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder.
The screenplay was written by Brooks, Norman Steinberg, Andrew Bergman, Richard Pryor, and Alan Uger.
Released in 1974, Blazing Saddles received generally positive reviews from critics and audiences.
It got three nominations at the 47th Academy Awards, including Best Supporting Actress for Madeline Kahn.
Besides, the American Film Institute ranked the film no.6 in its 100 Years…100 Laughs list.
In 2006, the Library of Congress selected Blazing Saddles for preservation in the National Film Registry for being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant”.
Here are some of the best quotes from the film’s best characters.
Also check out these memorable Monty Python and the Holy Grail quotes.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Blazing Saddle Quotes to look back on
According to a survey conducted by YouGov, over 40% of Americans have seen Blazing Saddles, with 29% of those who have seen the film saying it’s one of their favorites.
This suggests that the film has a broad and loyal fanbase.
1. “My name is Jim. But most people call me… Jim.” – Jim
You will also enjoy our article on dead poets society quotes.
2. “Gentlemen, affairs of state must take precedent over… affairs of state.” – Bart
You will also enjoy our article on george costanza quotes.
3. “How did he do such fantastic stunts with such little feet?” – Hedley Lamarr
You will also enjoy our article on parents quotes and sayings.
4. “Hello handsome, is that a ten-gallon hat or are you just enjoying the show.” – Lili Von Shtupp
You will also enjoy our article on nursing school quotes.
5. “What the hell are you worried about? This is 1874. You’ll be able to sue her.” – Governor Lepetomane
6. “Another twenty-five years and you’ll be able to shake their hands in broad daylight.” – Jim
7. “A wed wose, how romantic.” – Lili Von Shtupp
8. “I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille.” – Jim
9. Y’know, Nietzsche says: “Out of chaos comes order.” – Howard Johnson
10. “Anybody got a dime? Somebody’s gotta go back and get a shitload a’ dimes.” – Taggart
11. “Well, that’s where we go a-ridin’ into town, a whampin’ and whompin’ every livin’ thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.” – Taggart
12. “Don’t just stand there clasping your hands in pain… How about a round of applause for The Waco Kid?” – Bart
13. “You will be risking your lives, whilst I will be risking an almost-certain Academy Award nomination for the Best Supporting Actor.” – Hedley Lamarr
14. “Unfortunately there is one thing standing between me and that property – the rightful owners.” – Hedley Lamarr
15. “Work here is done. I’m needed elsewhere now. I’m needed wherever outlaws rule the West, wherever innocent women and children are afraid to walk the streets, wherever a man cannot live in simple dignity, wherever a people cry out for justice.” – Bart
Blazing Saddles quotes from Jim
A study published in the Journal of Communication found that humor can effectively address social and political issues, as it can engage audiences and promote critical thinking.
Blazing Saddles’ use of humor to address racism and stereotypes can be seen as an example of this.
16. “You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.” – Jim
17. “Then we’re awake. But we’re very puzzled.” – Jim
18. “No. Don’t do that, don’t do that. If you shoot him you’ll just make him mad.” – Jim
Blazing Saddles quotes from Bart
According to Rotten Tomatoes, Blazing Saddles has a 90% approval rating from critics and a 91% approval rating from audiences.
This statistic emphasizes the widespread popularity and critical acclaim of the film.
19. “He was nothing, the bitch was inventing the Candy Gram and they probably won’t even give me credit for it.” – Bart
20. “Excuse me while I whip this out.” – Bart
22. “A man drink like that and he don’t eat, he is going to die.” – Bart
23. “Watch that “boy” sh*t, redneck! You’re talkin’ to the sheriff of Rock Ridge!” – Bart
24. “I hate to disappoint you, ma’am, but you’re suckin’ on my arm!” – Bart
You might also like these quotes from Wedding Crashers.
Blazing Saddles quotes from Hedley Lamarr
According to a survey by YouGov, 30% of Americans have seen Blazing Saddles, with higher percentages among certain age groups and political affiliations.
This statistic highlights the film’s enduring popularity and its cultural significance.
25. “How many times have I told you to wash up after a weekly cross burning?” – Hedley Lamarr
Don’t forget to also read these beautiful Great Gatsby quotes on love and loss.
Did these Blazing Saddles quotes make you laugh?
If you’re a Mel Brooks’ fan, Blazing Saddles is probably one of your favorite movies.
While there are moments that make the film a product of its time, the film is still bursting with hilarious one-liners spoken by memorable characters.
In the 46 years since Blazing Saddles was released, it has become a comedy classic.
Generations have grown up with stitches in their sides from the laughs inflicted on them by this comedy gem.
Do you love the movie Blazing Saddles?
Did these funny Blazing Saddles quotes make you laugh?
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below!
October 19, 2022 at 2:05 PM
The quote in #2 was Mel Brooks as the governor, not Bart
September 11, 2022 at 7:04 PM
Y’all gotta see “Paws Of Fury”.
January 13, 2022 at 7:56 PM
The quote about “sucking on my arm” was not in the movie. In an interview, Mel Brooks said that they had a line like this (Excuse me ma’am, but you’re sucking on my elbow). But left it out.
May 31, 2020 at 4:38 PM
I love Blazing Saddles. I was stationed at Myrtle Beach and everyone in the office watched it. We used to shout quotes from the movie and someone in the office would finish the scene. Someone would yell “Candy gram for Mongo”, and 3 people would yell, “Me Mongo”. Part of the game was to find a line no one could reply to, we never did. I think we could have reenacted the entire movie.