These V for Vendetta quotes will inspire you to stand up and fight for the things that you believe in, even if the whole world is against you.
V for Vendetta was originally a comic book written by Alan Moore, a genius if there ever was one in the graphic novel world. He is also the man responsible for Watchmen, another wildly successful graphic-novel turned movie with a very deep message.
The book was wildly successful and was made into the 2005 movie, V for Vendetta, starring Natalie Portman. Many of the incredible V for Vendetta quotes from the book made it into the movie, but there are a ton more great words from all of the characters available in the graphic novel that we’ve featured below.
Today, we want to inspire you to stand up and fight for the things that you believe in with these V for Vendetta quotes. Be like V and Evey – do what is right, even if the whole world is against you.
V for Vendetta quotes that will inspire you to fight for a better world
1. “People shouldn’t be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.” – V for Vendetta
2. “Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea… and ideas are bulletproof.” – V for Vendetta
3. “Everybody is special. Everybody. Everybody is a hero, a lover, a fool, a villain. Everybody. Everybody has their story to tell.” – V for Vendetta
4. “Artists use lies to tell the truth. Yes, I created a lie. But because you believed it, you found something true about yourself.” – V for Vendetta
5. “You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.” – V for Vendetta
6. “The past can’t hurt you anymore, not unless you let it.” – V for Vendetta
7. “Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.” – V for Vendetta
8. “Happiness is the most insidious prison of all.” – V for Vendetta
9. “I shall die here. Every last inch of me shall perish. Except one. An inch. It’s small and it’s fragile and it’s the only thing in the world worth having. we must never lose it, or sell it, or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.” – V for Vendetta
10. “God is in the rain.” – V for Vendetta
V for Vendetta quotes to inspire to stand up for what you believe in
11. “Love your rage, not your cage.” – V for Vendetta
12. “They say that life’s a game, & then they take the board away.” – V for Vendetta
13. “The past can’t hurt you anymore. Not unless you let it. They made you into a victim, Evey. They made you into a statistic. But, that’s not the real you. That’s not who you are inside.” – V for Vendetta
14. “It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.” – V for Vendetta
15. “Your pretty empire took so long to build, now, with a snap of history’s fingers, down it goes.” – V for Vendetta
16. “Equality and freedom are not luxuries to lightly cast aside. Without them, order cannot long endure before approaching depths beyond imagining.” – V for Vendetta
17. “Anarchy wears two faces, both creator and destroyer. Thus destroyers topple empires; make a canvas of clean rubble where creators then can build another world. Rubble, once achieved, makes further ruins’ means irrelevant.” – V for Vendetta
18. “Authority, when first detecting chaos at its heels, will entertain the vilest schemes to save its orderly facade.” – V for Vendetta
19. “Everybody has their story to tell.” – V for Vendetta
20. “Authority allows two roles: the torturer and the tortured. Twists people into joyless mannequins that fear and hate, while culture plunges into the abyss.” – V for Vendetta
V for Vendetta quotes to make you do what is right
21. “Is it meaningless to apologize? Never.” – V for Vendetta
22. “Who imprisoned me here? Who keeps me here? Who can release me? Who’s controlling and constraining my life except…me?” – V for Vendetta
23. “The world’s a stage, & everything else is Vaudeville.” – V for Vendetta
24. “Who? Who is but the form following the function of what, and what I am is a man in a mask.” – V for Vendetta
25. “Noise is relative to the silence preceding it. The more absolute the hush, the more shocking the thunderclap. Our masters have not heard the people’s voice for generations, Evey, and it is much, much louder than they care to remember.” – V for Vendetta
26. “With science, ideas can germinate within a bed of theory, form, and practice that assists their growth… But we as gardeners, must beware… for some seeds are the seeds of ruin… and the most iridescent blooms are often the most dangerous.” – V for Vendetta
27. “By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.” – V for Vendetta
28. “The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.” – V for Vendetta
29. “Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us. But within that inch, we are free.” – V for Vendetta
30. “Let me show you firmness of my belief.” – V for Vendetta
Also check out these wise Little Prince quotes about life.
V for Vendetta quotes to remind of the strength within
31. “I hope that the world turns and that things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you. I love you. With all my heart, I love you.” – V for Vendetta
32. “While the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.” – V for Vendetta
33. “That’s it! See, at first I thought it was hate, too. Hate was all I knew, it built my world, it imprisoned me, taught me how to eat, how to drink, how to breathe. I thought I’d die with all my hate in my veins. But then something happened. It happened to me… just as it happened to you.” – V for Vendetta
34. “A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. Alone, a symbol is meaningless, but with enough people, blowing up a building can change the world.” – V for Vendetta
35. “Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.” – V for Vendetta
36. “Since mankind’s dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We’ve seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” – V for Vendetta
37. “It means that I, like God, do not play with dice and do not believe in coincidence.” – V for Vendetta
38. “What was done to me created me. It’s a basic principle of the Universe that every action will create an equal and opposing reaction.” – V for Vendetta
39. “Remember, Remember, the 5th of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.” – V for Vendetta
40. “I didn’t put you in a prison, Evey. I just showed you the bars.” – V for Vendetta
Other inspirational V for Vendetta quotes
41. “Though recognition’s been delayed by its circuitous construction, now the pattern, long concealed, emerges into view. Is it not fine? Is it not simple, and elegant, and severe? How strange, after the long exacting toil of preparation, it takes only the slightest effort and less thought to send this brief, elaborate amusement on its breathless, hurtling race. The merest touch, no more, and everything falls into place. The pieces can’t perceive as we the mischief their arrangement tempts. Those stolid law-abiding queues, so pregnant with catastrophe. Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.” – V for Vendetta
42. “The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him.” – V for Vendetta
43. “Her name is anarchy! And she has taught me more as a mistress than you ever did! She has taught me that justice is meaningless without freedom. She is honest. She makes no promises and breaks none.” – V for Vendetta
44. “Uncaring fate? It is said there is no question that can be formulated that you cannot answer. Tell me this, then: Am I loved?” – V for Vendetta
45. “The ending is nearer than you think, and it is already written. All that we have left to choose is the correct moment to begin.” – V for Vendetta
46. “I remember how the meaning of words began to change. How unfamiliar words like collateral and rendition became frightening.” – V for Vendetta
47. “You’re in a prison, Evey. You were born in a prison. You’ve been in a prison so long, you no longer believe there’s a world outside.” – V for Vendetta
48. “You faced the fear of your own death and you were calm and still. The door of the cage is open, Evey. All that you feel is the wind from outside.” – V for Vendetta
49. “With anarchy comes an age of true order, which is to say voluntary order… this age of ordung will begin when the mad and incoherent cycle of verwirrung that these bulletins reveal has run its course… This is not anarchy, Eve. This is chaos.” – V for Vendetta
50. “This is only the land of take-what-you-want. Anarchy means “without leaders”, not “without order”.” – V for Vendetta
What did you learn from these V for Vendetta quotes?
If you aren’t inspired by these quotes, I’m not sure what would inspire you. The idea of sacrificing your own well-being and your own happiness for the sake of a better world, no matter what the cost, is incredibly noble.
V for Vendetta reminds us of the strength we all have within ourselves, to sacrifice ourselves to something better and bigger than ourselves.
January 13, 2020 7:29 AM EST